Film Greta Gerwig's BARBIE (Margot Robbie/Ryan Gosling)

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Yes they were returned to their previous subjugated status as I said. A parallel was drawn with women's status in the real world (a false one - in the real world 4 of the 8 Supreme court justices are female).
No, the film very pointedly doesn't return them to their previous subjugated status. It leaves them in a new position where they are treated slightly better and the potential for them to gain greater equality in the future is mooted. In other words at the beginning of their own suffrage process.

At which point you could correctly point out that even with that supposed improvement they still don't have anything like full equality, they didn't get access to powerful positions and that for all that they might notionally be less subjugated than before they are effectively still lesser citizens, all of which is unfair. And the film/filmmakers would respond "yes, exactly".

Because they're using the Kens' position in Barbie's world as a mirror of the unfairness women have experienced and continued to experience in the real world as part of their suffrage movement. While they (eventually) got women on the Supreme Court in real life it did not happen immediately, it took all the time the film implies it will also take for the Kens. And even now there are countless other markers of equality that women have yet to achieve.

Which is why the distinction between the Kens' old and new position matters, and also why them being given full equality wouldn't make any sense. Because if the film did either of those things it would no longer be mirroring real-world suffrage, where women were neither kept under the exact same level of subjugation nor immediately granted equality. For both women and the Kens it was a case of (as the narrator says) needing to start somewhere.

To somehow perceive that comment on the slow, frustrating process of working towards equality as being a misandrist point on the film's part is very odd.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
No, the film very pointedly doesn't return them to their previous subjugated status. It leaves them in a new position where they are treated slightly better and the potential for them to gain greater equality in the future is mooted. In other words at the beginning of their own suffrage process.

At which point you could correctly point out that even with that supposed improvement they still don't have anything like full equality, they didn't get access to powerful positions and that for all that they might notionally be less subjugated than before they are effectively still lesser citizens, all of which is unfair. And the film/filmmakers would respond "yes, exactly".

Because they're using the Kens' position in Barbie's world as a mirror of the unfairness women have experienced and continued to experience in the real world as part of their suffrage movement. While they (eventually) got women on the Supreme Court in real life it did not happen immediately, it took all the time the film implies it will also take for the Kens. And even now there are countless other markers of equality that women have yet to achieve.

Which is why the distinction between the Kens' old and new position matters, and also why them being given full equality wouldn't make any sense. Because if the film did either of those things it would no longer be mirroring real-world suffrage, where women were neither kept under the exact same level of subjugation nor immediately granted equality. For both women and the Kens it was a case of (as the narrator says) needing to start somewhere.

To somehow perceive that comment on the slow, frustrating process of working towards equality as being a misandrist point on the film's part is very odd.
Except they had literally overthrown the Kens ten minutes previously and taken away all their power and in practice they were back at square one. The Barbies were far more ruthless and repressive in that sense. The message I took away is that the Barbies did not want equality they wanted dominance, and were leveraging an exaggerated sense of victimhood of people who were not them to justify their own power grab. Hence misandry.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
How the feck do you make a movie about Uno?
The 'UNO' Movie Was Supposed to Be a Heist Film
https://collider.com/uno-movie-heist-film/
My reaction was the reaction that everybody has, which is ‘What?’ The first draft that I sent in was ‘feck’-heavy,”. It was something like fifty pages, and then the next draft had one. I got my one, well-placed, PG-13 ‘feck.’ They’ve been open to so many kinds of unexpected ideas.
We're in for a real treat.

EDIT: Unless it's a Charlie Kelly spin-off about wild cards, I don't want to hear about it.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
Except they had literally overthrown the Kens ten minutes previously and taken away all their power and in practice they were back at square one. The Barbies were far more ruthless and repressive in that sense. The message I took away is that the Barbies did not want equality they wanted dominance, and were leveraging an exaggerated sense of victimhood of people who were not them to justify their own power grab. Hence misandry.
They're all genitalia-less and identify as dolls, though.

slored1

Honestly really enjoyed it. Gosling was spectacular. Deserves an award for that.

OsloRed

I enjoyed it. Ryan Gosling is spectacular, and I liked how they used the music in Barbie World. The ending was bland, though, but it is what it is. Hollywood gonna Hollywood a bit I guess.

stepic

It was good. The themes were pretty obvious and personally I like a little more subtlety and nuance when it comes to movies but I also appreciate it also wasn’t necessarily for me.

it was funny, it took a major franchise and used it to make intelligent points, even if it was overtly done. But I’m glad they did it, the young girls watching it in the cinema need to see more stuff like this.

also if it makes fragile right wing men cry then all the better

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
It was good. The themes were pretty obvious and personally I like a little more subtlety and nuance when it comes to movies but I also appreciate it also wasn’t necessarily for me.

it was funny, it took a major franchise and used it to make intelligent points, even if it was overtly done. But I’m glad they did it, the young girls watching it in the cinema need to see more stuff like this.

also if it makes fragile right wing men cry then all the better
Good post, it was a lot of fun!

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Saw it tonight. Surprised the place was still packed considering it's been out for a bit now. Thought it was great. Ryan Gosling was excellent. Ken in the real world was particularly funny. Kate McKinnon as weird Barbie is just spot on casting. The Ken fight/dance scene was just awesome. I had heard a lot about it and went in expecting to like it, and it still exceeded expectations.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Good movie. Liked it a lot.