Greta Thunberg

OverratedOpinion

So can politicians not argue for higher taxes without already paying said higher taxes voluntarily?
If a rich politician started arguing for higher taxes for working class people they would also be annoying yes.

P.s. I'm not saying anyone cant do anything.

GBBQ

I don’t like her but there’s only a little hypocrisy involved. Yeah she does good and moans and cries on stage and embarrass politicians but I think she seems put upto it, even brainwashed and scared from it, it seems her speeches are well prepared and when she has to speak off the cuff has no answers.

there’s also the pictures of her with all her single use plastics, (even joe public tries Not to use), the stupid supporting T-shirt’s she wears the same as her parents and then lies, the lies in the crowded train the company picked her up on.

yes climate change is worrying, yes it’s good that there’s someone trying to highlight it even more but I just can’t shake the feeling she’s just a total puppet pushed and put up to it without even being aware because the public are dense enough to listen to a crying girl in plaits more than they would a genuine well spoken adult.

so I guess it’s the people behind her is have more issue with than Greta herself
I mean of course she is coached and her speeches are prepared and written for her. She's 17 and speaking in her second language, I don't think she is likely to be a skilled orator at her age.

Stand Up Comedians have writers for their material; not because they aren't funny but because their role requires them to be constantly funny. Similarly Obama had Favreau and his team writing his speeches, not because he isn't intelligent or passionate about what he is talking but because he is under constant scrutiny for what he said. So Greta is no more a puppet than any public figure who is constantly expected to speak. The important thing is the message she is delivering and most people seem to be more empathetic to a young girl delivering it.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I mean of course she is coached and her speeches are prepared and written for her. She's 17 and speaking in her second language, I don't think she is likely to be a skilled orator at her age.

Stand Up Comedians have writers for their material; not because they aren't funny but because their role requires them to be constantly funny. Similarly Obama had Favreau and his team writing his speeches, not because he isn't intelligent or passionate about what he is talking but because he is under constant scrutiny for what he said. So Greta is no more a puppet than any public figure who is constantly expected to speak. The important thing is the message she is delivering and most people seem to be more empathetic to a young girl delivering it.
I agree with all that, but you’re basically saying there’s responsible adults behind what she’s saying and she’s clearly being used as a child puppet.
it works as she gets emotional When making these written speeches. Yet she gets on the cover of time and im sure most won’t agree she’s a puppet and think she does it all of her own accord. that’s the annoyance.

it basically comes back to my first post that the public are dense enough to listen and like a child puppet more than someone educated and well spoken

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Martin Luther King cheated on his wife, his message is therefore null and void in my opinion. Long live racism!

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Prancing around on her high and mighty super boat while giving us lectures about *ha!* saving the planet ! Who the heck does she think she is,a middle aged man ?

Her thing is literally telling people to listen to experts, so I'm not even sure what you're getting at?
She tells everybody, in a hysterical way, that we should all be doing x, y and z, when x, y and z are not practical or sensible.

Luckily nobody who really matters listens to her.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
She tells everybody, in a hysterical way, that we should all be doing x, y and z, when x, y and z are not practical or sensible.

Give her 3 years and she’ll be spliffing up at the Reading Festival

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Personally, I don't like that she has became the face of the issue and I don't find her inspirational at all. It shouldn't be a child, it should be a fecking scientist. But then it's not her fault that the world responded to her and not to reason, and if she helps us to do better in the face of a global crisis, fair enough.

nimic

something nice
Scout

Oh man, this is a wonderful parody of the middle-aged men who so often have strong opinions on her. I particularly liked how you used the word "hysterical", subtly shedding light on a word which has historically been used to dismiss young women.

Bravo!

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?

Given you don't think she's worth listening to, isn't it possible that you've not listened to 95%+ of what she has said and have a pretty poor understanding of what her core messages are...?

Halftrack

She, first and foremost, tells people to listen to experts. Which, when combined with this
The same people who adore her complain nobody listens to experts anymore.
makes it pretty clear that you haven't the foggiest.

Or are you saying that listening to experts isn't practical or sensible?

But yeah, luckily no one who really matters listens to her. It would be a fecking shame if world leaders started paying attention to what experts are saying. Better to just wreck the earth for short term gain, leaving it ruins for future generations.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I just find it interesting how wanting to save the planet,or improving it, has become a stick to beat liberals with.
I mean, shouldn't we all want this ?

Given you don't think she's worth listening to, isn't it possible that you've not listened to 95%+ of what she has said and have a pretty poor understanding of what her core messages are...?
I don't think she really knows what her core messages are.

Mike Smalling

I think most will agree that the message is the right one, and that it is important to deliver it. My main concern with Thunberg is the overly dramatic way she delivers the message (e.g. the "how dare you" and "you have stolen my dreams" stuff). It is all a bit cringe, and I am not convinced that it will actually help in bringing people together to find a solution. On the contrary, it is probably more divisive and it seems to confirm for climate deniers, that the people advocating for action are hysterical, tree-huggers without much sense of reality.
In addition, you can definitely question the morality of propping up a child/teenager with a mental disorder into the front figure of a movement like this. It all seems a bit manufactured.

In any case, it will definitely be interesting to see if she will remain relevant over the coming years, as she basically becomes a young adult.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I just find it interesting how wanting to save the planet,or improving it, has become a stick to beat liberals with.
Yes but only if a sensible well spoken man who is of a suitable age, has absolutely no baggage or flaws, has no team behind him and can single-handedly solve every problem that countries, businesses will face says we should change then I won't even consider saving the planet.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I think most will agree that the message is the right one, and that it is important to deliver it. My main concern with Thunberg is the overly dramatic way she delivers the message (e.g. the "how dare you" and "you have stolen my dreams" stuff). It is all a bit cringe, and I am not convinced that it will actually help in bringing people together to find a solution. On the contrary, it is probably more divisive and it seems to confirm for climate deniers, that the people advocating for action are hysterical, tree-huggers without much sense of reality.
In addition, you can definitely question the morality of propping up a child/teenager with a mental disorder into the front figure of a movement like this. It all seems a bit manufactured.

In any case, it will definitely be interesting to see if she will remain relevant over the coming years, as she basically becomes a young adult.
That’s my take on it but written much better

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
She’s literally only famous because she’s a kid it’s a novelty effect, as she gets older she will fade away as nobody wants to hear a 20 year old Swedish woman throwing a tantrum.

She’s said absolutely nothing that people aren’t already aware of and she’s offering no solutions. Ironically leaving a bigger carbon footprint than most people.
She's raising awareness about the issue. That in itself does a huge service to society. People are just being overly sensitive because she's very direct about her point. Which is good because people need to be made a little uncomfortable about this issue and where it's headed

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Yes but only if a sensible well spoken man who is of a suitable age, has absolutely no baggage or flaws, has no team behind him and can single-handedly solve every problem that countries, businesses will face says we should change then I won't even consider saving the planet.
:lol: Spot on.

People don't like a youngster (and that too a girl) authoritatively telling them that the fecked up thing they're doing is fecked up.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
You try to be funny and sometimes are, but you’re just over the top here trying to be clever, no one said it had be a man or no baggage or team, but scaring the shit out of a child with Aspergers and pushing them to the front as some kind childnhero face of a campaign just seems off.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
:lol: Spot on.

People don't like a youngster (and that too a girl) authoritatively telling them that the fecked up thing they're doing is fecked up.
yeah you’re right, I totally disagree with her just because she’s a girl

Tarrou

It's a sad indictment of our society that we focus so much on her personality rather than the incredible impact she is having on the world at such a young age.

She is not trying to solve climate change herself, she is trying to raise awareness and she's achieved that more than any one human being in our lifetime.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
You try to be funny and sometimes are, but you’re just over the top here trying to be clever, no one said it had be a man or no baggage or team, but scaring the shit out of a child with Aspergers and pushing them to the front as some kind childnhero face of a campaign just seems off.
So tell me about Aspergers and why that matters here. I'm excited to learn about this topic.

Maticmaker

No older person likes to be admonished by someone younger. Older siblings being corrected by younger siblings, Sons and fathers, Mothers and daughters. Even when the message is correct, to continue the onslaught just delays action, especially when the total answer lies beyond the powers of the person being chastised.

As we all know the World needs to come together to have any chance of stemming the tide of Climate Change. We already know that as a fact, but around the World there are 180+ odd different countries, some of whom are at war with one another, or with factions within themselves, they are killing one another right now... are these 'leaders' likely to listen to what might happen long after they are gone, whoever delivers the message?

Rich countries are the main polluters but whilst they may have lots of empathy, and 'celebs' and others make great play of being 'carbon neutral', the real sacrifices they have to make, seem unlikely to be achieved.

Emerging nations wanting to bolster their economies still need the carbon-based fuels as their main energy sources in order to achieve their aims of lifting people, hundreds of millions, out of abject poverty.

Poorer, usually smaller, nations are already getting 'stuffed' by the World around them and they can do little about that, let alone stemming Climate Change

Greta is of course delivering an 'inconvenient truth' as such, what ever her age, sex or religion she is the messenger carrying the message no one wants to hear and she is suffering the consequences, modern day Joan of Arc... maybe?

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I don't think she really knows what her core messages are.
And that judgment is based on you open-mindedly listening to all of what she's had to say, rather than zoning her out based on a stereotype created from bitesize footage shaped by the media...right?

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
My point was that people want these absolutely perfect people to tell them what to do or to be absolutely perfect if they want to change the world. In reality, they don't exist. Look at practically any historical figure who changed the world for the better and you will see there were flawed in some way.

Also, I don't think "they" (whoever they are) are scaring her, I think she's taken on this role willingly and eagerly. She's clearly passionate about this which is why she makes what some are calling over-emotional speeches.

Oh man, this is a wonderful parody of the middle-aged men who so often have strong opinions on her. I particularly liked how you used the word "hysterical", subtly shedding light on a word which has historically been used to dismiss young women.

Bravo!
You know when you go home after your first semester at University with an opinion on everything, and start telling your parents and anybody else who will listen how much you learned and how you now know the solutions to all the world's problems? Everybody does it, and it's only much later that you realise what a fecking idiot you sounded. That's her... and it resonates very well with everybody else who hasnt yet realised it.

Unfortunately, these are not the people who need to be convinced of the message.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Ruining the planet to own the libs. And I'm only half-joking.

You know when you go home after your first semester at University with an opinion on everything, and start telling your parents and anybody else who will listen how much you learned and how you now know the solutions to all the world's problems? Everybody does it, and it's only much later that you realise what a fecking idiot you sounded. That's her... and it resonates very well with everybody else who hasnt yet realised it.

Unfortunately, these are not the people who need to be convinced of the message.
Sweet! An encore! This is lethal satire.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
So tell me about Aspergers and why that matters here. I'm excited to learn about this topic.
Why always the need for passive aggressive, condescending, sarcastic comments on here? Why couldn’t you have just written ‘why do you think aspergers would play a part in it’? Or similar?

to get a bite? To look cool or superior?

I’m not a doctor so sorry to kill your excitement, my limited understanding of aspergerscan be increased anxiety (I’m sure this world ending trauma helps her with that).

Tarrou

What people are you referring to?

And who needs to be convinced?

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Why always the need for passive aggressive, condescending, sarcastic comments on here? Why couldn’t you have just written ‘why do you think aspergers would play a part in it’? Or similar?

to get a bite? To look cool or superior?

I’m not a doctor so sorry to kill your excitement, my limited understanding of aspergerscan be increased anxiety (I’m sure this world ending trauma helps her with that).
So you don't know what you're talking about. Good to know.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS

What about middle-aged and older people not willing to admit that maybe things have changed since they were in their 20s?

What people are you referring to?

And who needs to be convinced?
Applies to the above post from @Maagge too.

The people who listen to her already take climate change seriously.

The people who dont, for them she does more harm than good.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
My point was that people want these absolutely perfect people to tell them what to do or to be absolutely perfect if they want to change the world. In reality, they don't exist. Look at practically any historical figure who changed the world for the better and you will see there were flawed in some way.

Also, I don't think "they" (whoever they are) are scaring her, I think she's taken on this role willingly and eagerly. She's clearly passionate about this which is why she makes what some are calling over-emotional speeches.
Yeah, I can agree with that.

Your second paragraph, I can also agree with but who knows? The environment she grows up in and interests she pursues which led her this way we don’t really know, well I don’t anyway.

like I said earlier though, it’s not her I have a problem with, just a slight uneasiness of the people who are propping her up and making her the face of it just makes me
Feel uneasy, if she’s comfy and enjoying it though, all power to her.