Griezmann or Aubameyang?

ravi2

lol at whoever who said Griezmann doesn't have pace. That is just silly

Twigg

Not Twigginator
Supports
100 extrapolation
My German source said that Auba carried Dortmund through an important phase of last season, and this year he's been fantastic. Have hardly watched either though.

goin4glory

Stats aren't worth shit, if we believed them then Rooney is one of the fastest players in the PL. I watch Atleti most weekends as they are the team I like in Spain from the current crop, he's plenty fast and has great movement like Muller.
If you know how to interpret stats they are incredibly useful. Someone with pace and the ability to beat a player will have a high number of dribbles attempted/been caught offside much more often than someone who doesn't. Martial for instance in the game vs Everton attempted more take ons than any other player in the league that weekend. Griezmann falls well short on both numbers and simply watching him will show you that he rarely goes past players or challenges space in behind. The vast majority of his goals are 1 touch finishes in and around the box. Griezmann is a good/very good player but for far too long we've bought poorly and not addressed the glaring leaks within the squad, we need a player with pace/ability to stretch teams which he just doesn't have.

Oo0AahCantona

Aubameyang personally. just the complete cf package. Could play as a 2 upfront with martial, or with martial on the left of the 3. just a deadly combination i reckon.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
People credit Aubameyang for having a great few weeks, but he's already been quite good last season, being the only stable attacker when they were utter shit and Klopp still shifted him around to RW, when the team was picking up some form again in the second half of the season he scored 11 goals in 16 games in Bundesliga as well as 3 goals in 3 cup matches (among them Bayern and the final against Wolfsburg).

Devil may care

If you know how to interpret stats they are incredibly useful. Someone with pace and the ability to beat a player will have a high number of dribbles attempted/been caught offside much more often than someone who doesn't. Martial for instance in the game vs Everton attempted more take ons than any other player in the league that weekend. Griezmann falls well short on both numbers and simply watching him will show you that he rarely goes past players or challenges space in behind. The vast majority of his goals are 1 touch finishes in and around the box. Griezmann is a good/very good player but for far too long we've bought poorly and not addressed the glaring leaks within the squad, we need a player with pace/ability to stretch teams which he just doesn't have.
Or the ones with a high caught offside percentage are just poor at timing their runs. I also never said that Griezmann was a great dribbler that would take players on, but he certainly has the pace to get in behind and leave CB's for dust.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Griezmann probably already know Schneiderlin and Martial pretty well so chances are accommodation could be easier plus the guy would easily give Rooney something to think about while Obama-Young can play even as attacking winger which is another needed option in terms of depth.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Griezmann probably already know Schneiderlin and Martial pretty well so chances are accommodation could be easier plus the guy would easily give Rooney something to think about while Obama-Young can play even as attacking winger which is another needed option in terms of depth.
This, Griezmann is a no-brainer and would add top quality to United's offense.

prarek

People credit Aubameyang for having a great few weeks, but he's already been quite good last season, being the only stable attacker when they were utter shit and Klopp still shifted him around to RW, when the team was picking up some form again in the second half of the season he scored 11 goals in 16 games in Bundesliga as well as 3 goals in 3 cup matches (among them Bayern and the final against Wolfsburg).
Aubameyang was great last season from what i heard especially considering how Dortmund were struggling.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Aubameyang was great last season from what i heard especially considering how Dortmund were struggling.
One of the very few shining players last season, yes. 16 goals / 6 assists in the Bundesliga.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
Mane over Griezmann and Aubameyang. Griezmann has never truly impressed me, even though the caf has thought of him as the next best thing behind the Barca front three.

Skills

Snitch
Thought you might've been talking about Memphis for a bit :lol:

redmeister

What kind of a fetish is this assuming you support United?
I don't think the success or failure of quality players moving to the Prem is as random as is often suggested. I see many similarities between how Griezmann scores his goal and how Soldaldo scored in La Liga. I see similarities with those 2 and Sheva/Falcao. I know people claim they were all past it when they flopped in the Prem, but no one was saying that before they came. I just think smaller goal scorers need to have that low center of gravity and body strength the likes of Tevez and Aguero have, to be a success in this league. If he was running around people like Messi, then i wouldn't be worried, but so many of his goals seem to come from situations I don't see happening for him in the Prem.

goin4glory

You're the only person in the world who thinks Griezmann doesn't have any pace.
No i'm not, multiple posters backed my opinion in the previous thread.

Or the ones with a high caught offside percentage are just poor at timing their runs. I also never said that Griezmann was a great dribbler that would take players on, but he certainly has the pace to get in behind and leave CB's for dust.
If Griezmann is so much better at timing his runs than players like Hazard and Neymar then why does Mata have a higher % of 1v1 goals than him?

Griezmann's knowledge of Martial/Schneiderlin is playing a handful of times for the French team, that's it. There's no great connection or history.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
If Griezmann is so much better at timing his runs than players like Hazard and Neymar then why does Mata have a higher % of 1v1 goals than him?

Well Mata is a completely different type of player, playing in a team that plays in a completely different style than Griezmann does. This is a really good example of where stats really arent much use.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Griezmann's knowledge of Martial/Schneiderlin is playing a handful of times for the French team, that's it. There's no great connection or history.
True but sometimes same language and familiar face can suffice to get the team chemistry going plus they have indeed a rich history of not being pedophilliac gollums and wanna be gangsters like some of their team mates which is cool because France have loads of quality players and signing Griezmann could make our club even more attractive to Pogba if his departure from Juve is still on or any of upcoming talents to begin with.

That being said Aubameyang would be also excellent choice if we're not after both if Southampton will play hard ball to keep Mane. The guy offers energetic movement that would definitely impose more forward passes from our midfielders.

Eddy_JukeZ

Both.

If I had to pick, I'd lean towards Aubameyang. His form this season cannot be ignored.

Devil may care

Circumstances? Mata's even better at timing runs? Mata is too slow to ever be offside? None of this alters the fact that Griezmann is fast and has great movement and finishing, things we desperately need in a team that only has one proven top level goal scorer who also happens to be finished.

You've never actually said you want Auba either, so I'm guessing you want someone else?

goin4glory

Circumstances? Mata's even better at timing runs? Mata is too slow to ever be offside? None of this alters the fact that Griezmann is fast and has great movement and finishing, things we desperately need in a team that only has one proven top level goal scorer who also happens to be finished.

You've never actually said you want Auba either, so I'm guessing you want someone else?
Circumstances? Really? Scraping the bottom of the barrel now. Mata has only scored lik 2/3 goals from 1v1s and it's still a higher % than Griezmann which says a lot. I've never once questioned his movement and finishing. I like Auba but see Martial as our future as a striker so would rather we look at a wide player with pace and the ability to beat players.

Devil may care

Circumstances? Really? Scraping the bottom of the barrel now. Mata has only scored lik 2/3 goals from 1v1s and it's still a higher % than Griezmann which says a lot. I've never once questioned his movement and finishing. I like Auba but see Martial as our future as a striker so would rather we look at a wide player with pace and the ability to beat players.
I'm not scraping the barrel, but trying to use 1 on 1's as a way to discredit his pace is just weird, the guy is not lightning but he's fast. As for Martial, at this juncture he's not a proven goal scorer, never really has been, he actually looks most comfortable coming off the left, but even if he was our #9 I don't see how Griezmann wouldn't be a far better option in the second striker role in 4-2-3-1 than any of our current options.

goin4glory

I'm not scraping the barrel, but trying to use 1 on 1's as a way to discredit his pace is just weird, the guy is not lightning but he's fast. As for Martial, at this juncture he's not a proven goal scorer, never really has been, he actually looks most comfortable coming off the left, but even if he was our #9 I don't see how Griezmann wouldn't be a far better option in the second striker role in 4-2-3-1 than any of our current options.
I'm not just using 1v1 stats. How often someone get's caught offside/the numbers of dribbles/takes ons they complete along with a basic eye test gives you a very good indication of a players attributes. Griezmann would be a great option to have as a second striker/10. But when he's getting compared to Mane/Auba and people keeping citing he has pace and ability to go past players along with his movement/goalscoring then I'll speak up as it simply isn't true. The majority of these threads are also Auba or Griezmann, Mane or Griezmann which is why I'll side with the player with genuine pace since that's what this United side needs.

Devil may care

I'm not just using 1v1 stats. How often someone get's caught offside/the numbers of dribbles/takes ons they complete along with a basic eye test gives you a very good indication of a players attributes. Griezmann would be a great option to have as a second striker/10. But when he's getting compared to Mane/Auba and people keeping citing he has pace and ability to go past players along with his movement/goalscoring then I'll speak up as it simply isn't true. The majority of these threads are also Auba or Griezmann, Mane or Griezmann which is why I'll side with the player with genuine pace since that's what this United side needs.
He has genuine pace, any eye test tells you that, how you see it differently I just don't get and I never said he was a great dribbler, Auba isn't either IMO. As far as comparing him to Mane goes, well he scores a lot more goals and this side is desperately short on genuine goal threat more than anything, and as many have said, Auba wouldn't suit LvG's demands. What the team needs ideally is two forwards, both fast, one a dribbler that can create and score a few and one out and out goal getter.

InfiniteBoredom

This is getting silly. A simple YouTube goal compilation of Griezmann shows plenty of times when he left his marker for dust. He's plenty fast enough.

To answer the OP, Griezmann, my dream signing just after Neymar.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Ignoring the pace thing as I've seen other go down that bizarre road with you before, how exactly do we not need a proper, top drawer #10 in this system? We don't have one, we use either Rooney oir Ander.
He's not really a proper number 10. More of a second striker/forward. If you want a number 10 making a De Bruyne/Silva type contribution to the build up then Griezmann isn't your man. He's an improvement over Mata if anything. He's a quicker, more involved, better goal getting version of present day Mata, and he has the spark to his game that Mata used to have.