Griezmann or Aubameyang?

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
Assuming we can't get both, and ignoring the possiblity that we won't get either, which one would you want if you had to choose?

Most, I presume, would go for Griezman -- but a post made by @Invictus? (I think) made a good point. Aubameyang isn't to be scoffed at, his record is immense this year.

Mane in January, one of these two in the summer. What say the Caf?

other than my op is shit.

Kostur

海尔的老板
It's Griezmann. Step yo game up.

Think Aubameyang is more of an out and out striker now so I'd probably go for him.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Griezmann would be a better fit and link up better, Auba just wouldn't have the space in behind to exploit like he does at Dortmund. Horses for courses.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Griezmann. Two years younger, seems more suited for us than Aubameyang, doesn't have to travel as far for International duty and doesn't have to take part in AFCON.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
With Van Gaal as manager? Griezmann 100% though neither would play as well as they do now. Aubamayeng wouldn't suit a slow build up possession play style at all.

Sam

Griezmann. He seems ideal for what we need right now.

PedroMendez

Acolyte
both play in different positions so it depends where the players should play. Auba is a #9 and Griezmann is a #10/second striker. Why buy another #9, when we already have Martial? No reason to shoehorn him into another position. Griezman would be the perfect second striker for LvG, so he´d be a much better fit.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Aubameyang. I don't think Griezmann has reached the level the former has this season. Besides, a guy who scores loads of goals and is absolutely rapid? Yes please!

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
My OP was a bit shit. I mean, I know they play different positions, but if we can only add one attacker out of the two, who is more needed? A prolific 9, or a world class second striker who can play wide -- I'm also assuming (hypothetically) that we sign Mane in this scenario.

So Mane/Aubameyang, or Mane/Griezmann is the question I should have asked.

Griezmann. He would be a better fit, and capable of playing more than one role. Aubemeyang is having a great season but he's never set the world on fire before as an out and out #9.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Assuming we can't get both, and ignoring the possiblity that we won't get either, which one would you want if you had to choose?

Most, I presume, would go for Griezman -- but a post made by @Invictus? (I think) made a good point. Aubameyang isn't to be scoffed at, his record is immense this year.

Mane in January, one of these two in the summer. What say the Caf?

other than my op is shit.
It's incredible. If he keeps this up he'll have a truly elite player season at least stat wise. I remember him speaking awhile back about wanting to Ronaldo/Messi type numbers. Didn't think the fecker was serious.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Tough one, we could use both really. If Aubameyang had another season of this form under his belt, i'd take him. But Griezmann has been my football man crush for a while now.

PedroMendez

Acolyte
My OP was a bit shit. I mean, I know they play different positions, but if we can only add one attacker out of the two, who is more needed? A prolific 9, or a world class second striker who can play wide -- I'm also assuming (hypothetically) that we sign Mane in this scenario.

So Mane/Aubameyang, or Mane/Griezmann is the question I should have asked.
Griezmann is the much better fit. When we buy Auba, where does MArtial play? He´d be shifted out wide. He can certainly play there but his best position is as central forward and he should play in this position. Martial playing up front with Griezmann behind him would be a fantastic partnership. Buying Auba would be a bit pointless.

pacifictheme

both play in different positions so it depends where the players should play. Auba is a #9 and Griezmann is a #10/second striker. Why buy another #9, when we already have Martial? No reason to shoehorn him into another position. Griezman would be the perfect second striker for LvG, so he´d be a much better fit.

I would say Griezmann but we absolutely can not and should not rely on Martial as our number 9.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
What some need to realise about Aubameyang is that this season isn't really a freak one for him. Sure, his stats are immense so far and will probably drop further into the season but the point I want to make is that he has become better every season. 14/15 was better than 13/14 and this season is better than 14/15. He's developed himself to a higher level. With that being said, keep your dirty hands of him and buy Griezmann. :D

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
There's no comparison, Griezmann by a country mile. Better player, able to play In a multitude of positions, easy.

PedroMendez

Acolyte
I would say Griezmann but we absolutely can not and should not rely on Martial as our number 9.
sure we can. We just need a couple of players around him, who are reliable scorer. Griezmann + a quality winger would be a step in the right direction.
We also have Rooney and regardless of our feelings, he´ll play many games this season. Barca, Bayern, City and Chelsea all have just one top class #9. If you play with just one classic #9, it is difficult to keep two top class players happy.

Henk de Rode

We should consider playing without a n9 or with a false n9. That's why it's such a pity we couldn't get Mueller. We need a n9 suited for the EPL, suited for United. Like Rooney used to be. Considering our options and his salary, I'd put Rooney in that position and keep him there. Like Lvg did last year before people started whining about his position. In hindsight, the problem wasn't the position he was in. And he was far more effective, won us quite a few games in this part of the season.
If we look at the last few games, we may want to use Mata or Herrera in that position, and then you need a right winger who can create something, like Griezmann or Aubameyang. We could pursue both, but at some point Atletico has to accept the offer and Griezmann's younger and has been performing longer than Aubameyang, he's less of a risk. We have a problem mostly with teams who park the bus against us, so I'd value Griezmann's technical abiltiy over Aubameyang's speed.

saivet

Don't really watch enough of either of them to give a good opinion, but I saw Aubameyang's record in 2015 and it's top class. Didn't realise how many goals he's put in!

Devil may care

If you watch Dortmund you'll see that the front 4 of Auba/Reus/Mkhitaryan/Kagawa are free to roam as they please, they are trusted to pick up the correct positions in an attack in conjunction with where the others are at the time. We play a rigid system that wouldn't suit him.

Griezmann on the other hand is used to playing for a demanding, slightly unstable obsessive who places workrate and shape at the top of his priority list, so the adaption to our Dutch overlord and his ways should be easier for him.

the hea

Griezmann! He's younger, no Afcon and he's a United fan. Him and Mane certainly would be an improvement on our current attackers.

Martial
Memphis Griezmann Mane​

Devil may care

Definitely not Griezmann, no pace and another number 10. Exactly what we don't need.
Ignoring the pace thing as I've seen other go down that bizarre road with you before, how exactly do we not need a proper, top drawer #10 in this system? We don't have one, we use either Rooney oir Ander.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Griezmann. Two years younger, seems more suited for us than Aubameyang, doesn't have to travel as far for International duty and doesn't have to take part in AFCON.
/Thread.

goin4glory

Ignoring the pace thing as I've seen other go down that bizarre road with you before, how exactly do we not need a proper, top drawer #10 in this system? We don't have one, we use either Rooney oir Ander.
It's not a bizarre road, the stats on Griezmann back up my argument that he doesn't have pace and a simple eye test would tell you the same. Most people just see him as the best player in an excellent Athletico side and haven't watched 90mins of him basically ever.

He's got pace and he's not a number 10.
He doesn't have pace and plays mainly as a second striker/10.

ravi2

We should have bought Griezmann in the summer..I dont know why LVG was fecking around with Pedro.
Having said that, I dont see any reason why we cant buy both.

Devil may care

It's not a bizarre road, the stats on Griezmann back up my argument that he doesn't have pace and a simple eye test would tell you the same. Most people just see him as the best player in an excellent Athletico side and haven't watched 90mins of him basically ever.
Stats aren't worth shit, if we believed them then Rooney is one of the fastest players in the PL. I watch Atleti most weekends as they are the team I like in Spain from the current crop, he's plenty fast and has great movement like Muller.