GTA: The Ballad of Gay Tony

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Anyone playing this? Downloading it as we speak and looking over reviews etc. it's supposed to be amazing.

Can't wait to base jump off the Empire State building :D

No doubt there will be a view negative views here but I loved GTA IV and the previous add on, and this new one is apparently surpassing both (put together) so it's well worth the 12 quid in my opinion.

Grand Theft Auto IV: The Ballad of Gay Tony Review for Xbox 360 - GameSpot

Ps. Vice City FM.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
There is anther add on coming via purchase on disc, 'stories from liberty city'.

Quite annoyed that these are only available on xbox to be honest.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
There is anther add on coming via purchase on disc, 'stories from liberty city'.

Quite annoyed that these are only available on xbox to be honest.
Think that's The Lost and the Damned and The Ballad of Gay Tony put onto a disc for people that don't own the original GTA IV disc any more.

I'm at 24%. Wish my uni internet was faster!

20solskjaer

Think that's The Lost and the Damned and The Ballad of Gay Tony put onto a disc for people that don't own the original GTA IV disc any more.

I'm at 24%. Wish my uni internet was faster!
its not your internet, it took my 360 about an hour and 40 minutes to download it tonight, i think its just down to loads of traffic

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Why is it called The Ballad Of Gay Tony
The character you control is in a business partnership with a gay fella named Tony, but you're basically just the muscle while he takes care of the business side of things. You own part of a nightclub with him.

Been playing it a bit and it's loads of fun. Not even tried most of the new stuff yet. The missions are definitely more epic than the other two episodes.

Xander45

Know-It-All Champion May 2009
I bought the episodes from Liberty City. Started playing Lost and Damned first and really enjoying it, the characters are great and i like the fact Niko is in the opening sequence. Haven't started the Gay Tony one yet, i'll give it a whirl once i'm done with the Lost.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Lost and Damned was great. I downloaded the new one last night, took so long did not get to play it in the end. It is meant to be fantastic so Im looking forward to it.

gaffs

Lost and Damned was great. I downloaded the new one last night, took so long did not get to play it in the end. It is meant to be fantastic so Im looking forward to it.
What are the missions like in Lost & The Damned? The problem with GTA4 is the missions got a little samey - got to location, chase guy, kill guy.

Pissed off that you cant get the DLC on PS3. Rockstar are cnuts for taking the big money from Microsoft for exclusivity.

Xander45

What are the missions like in Lost & The Damned? The problem with GTA4 is the missions got a little samey - got to location, chase guy, kill guy.

Pissed off that you cant get the DLC on PS3. Rockstar are cnuts for taking the big money from Microsoft for exclusivity.
The first mission i did was to get your bosses bike back, which involved (you guessed it) driving to a location, watching a cut scene, driving to another location, kill some guys, drive back.

The next one we had to steal some bikes, so we drove to a location, killed some guys, got the bikes, drove back.

Xander45

Talking of Vice City reminded me, i just borrowed Saints Row 2 off a mate (not the best graphically but damn fun) and one of their radio stations is basically the soundtrack from Vice City. Made me want to get the old disc out and give it a whirl.

gaffs

Thats going to be a VERY long time then
Well GTA3 came out on the PS2 in Oct 2001. Then Vice City (Oct 2002) and San Andreas (Oct 2004) came out which used the game engine.

GTA4 was released April 2008, so i would guess the next one will be 2010, if we are lucky, though more likely 2011.

The big talking point will always be the next location. Apparently, in the back of the manual for Gay Tony, there is this a potential hint towards the next location…….

Scholesgoals

San Andreas was one of the best games ever made.

The music was excellent, the story was very true to life, and the premise behind the story (LA gangs) was conducive to excellent gameplay. The map was much bigger too, it really felt like you were going somewhere different rather than just over a bridge. Having said that, i really enjoyed 4 too, but i was mostly disappointed by the music.

Xander45

Vice City has by far the best soundtrack for me, love the 80's. San Andreas i only listened to about 2 stations, the rest i didn't like. GTA 3 had the best adverts, i still haven't received my white rhino even though they said it would come overnight. :(

Oh and again Saints Row 2 reminds me so much of San Andreas, with the gang territories and the like.

Smash-E

I find Saints Row 2 much more enjoyable than GTA4...

GTA is much for realistic, but Saints Row was just more fun..

Xander45

You say that about San Andreas but next gen, that would be Saints Row 2. Give it a look if you haven't already, more fun and a lot less serious.

I think doing one in London would be a great idea, or at least a rip off version of London. Would be good fun, all they need to do is make it like a video game version of snatch and i'd buy it!

SharkyMcShark

Horrified
Using location as a tagline: because I'm just not
San Andreas was one of the best games ever made.

The music was excellent, the story was very true to life, and the premise behind the story (LA gangs) was conducive to excellent gameplay. The map was much bigger too, it really felt like you were going somewhere different rather than just over a bridge. Having said that, i really enjoyed 4 too, but i was mostly disappointed by the music.
Never beat San Andreas...GTA went too serious with 4 and lost the comedy element!
I find Saints Row 2 much more enjoyable than GTA4...

GTA is much for realistic, but Saints Row was just more fun..
You say that about San Andreas but next gen, that would be Saints Row 2. Give it a look if you haven't already, more fun and a lot less serious.

I think doing one in London would be a great idea, or at least a rip off version of London. Would be good fun, all they need to do is make it like a video game version of snatch and i'd buy it!
+ 700000

GTA SA > GTA4. So many happy memories associated with GTA SA, whether it was playing SAMP online with a mate, or just pissing it around the countryside in a hotted up car or Harrier jumpjet.

Saints Row 2 is my favourite XboX360 game, and while GTA4 is much more of a technical achievement Saints Row 2 beats it in every other department.

The character customisation is off the fecking charts, the car customisation is even better than in GTA SA, it's witty, doesn't take itself seriously, and is far more fun to play. The radio stations are generally a good mix (I prefer The Mix (80s) personally), and it had all those little features you wished GTA4 had but didn't - like someone to drive stored cars out to you, customising your clothes, your pad, and your crew, sky diving (I never understand why they removed that from GTA4), hidden jumps, etc etc etc.

The Flying Potato

Well GTA3 came out on the PS2 in Oct 2001. Then Vice City (Oct 2002) and San Andreas (Oct 2004) came out which used the game engine.

GTA4 was released April 2008, so i would guess the next one will be 2010, if we are lucky, though more likely 2011.

The big talking point will always be the next location. Apparently, in the back of the manual for Gay Tony, there is this a potential hint towards the next location…….
So in other words, this generations consoles.

Xander45

Just finished Lost and Damned, will give Ballad of Tony Gay a go later tonight. Loving the way they all connect together, although it means i already know half the missions i'm going to do.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I never actually owned San Andreas but I played quite a bit of it at a mates house and I didn't like it anywhere near as much as Vice City or the first Liberty City Stories.

The map was huge but so much of it was just open space and getting around became quite tiresome, and I didn't like the player customisation - weight training and hair styles etc; if I wanted to play the sims I'd have bought the fecking sims. That was my biggest complaint with GTA4 - all the making friends and respect levels bollock was boring as feck and I hope they get rid of that side of it for the next game.

Xander45

I never actually owned San Andreas but I played quite a bit of it at a mates house and I didn't like it anywhere near as much as Vice City or the first Liberty City Stories.

The map was huge but so much of it was just open space and getting around became quite tiresome, and I didn't like the player customisation - weight training and hair styles etc; if I wanted to play the sims I'd have bought the fecking sims. That was my biggest complaint with GTA4 - all the making friends and respect levels bollock was boring as feck and I hope they get rid of that side of it for the next game.
I doubt it mate, but that part was purely optional. I went through the entire game without going to play darts with a friend or go on a helicopter tour. The only time i did it was when i had to right at the start.

San Andreas was fantastic in my opinion. Again weights and hairstyles are all optional and shouldn't put you off a game, it's like a review i read about Rogue Galaxy that said there was too much to do. Too much to do? Bull, if you want to you can spend hours faffing about buying all the clothes to make you look like a pimp but it doesn't impact on how the game plays or played out. Personally i like all the little extras, gives you something to do when the game is finished other than blow shit up. I'm just annoyed they got rid of planes for GTA 4.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I like extra bits to games and side missions etc, like the hidden items or the 99 red balloons in LC Stories and the vigilante missions, taxi driver, ambulance driver and all that stuff, but the sims type stuff was rubbish.

I know you can ignore it but when I really get into a GTA game I like to try and get as high a % complete as possible, and for certain things in 4 (I can't remember the details) you had to have a certain 'respect' and 'friend' level with people.

Ideally for me the next game would be a whole new location, with the engine from 4 but the basic mission structure from Vice City and the first two 'stories' games.

Xander45

Ah you're a completionist then. Fair enough, and i can see why it would be quite dull playing pool with somebody over and over again. The only person i got a good `respect` level with was the jamaican because to get his higher you did missions that were basically crazy taxi.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Ah you're a completionist then. Fair enough, and i can see why it would be quite dull playing pool with somebody over and over again. The only person i got a good `respect` level with was the jamaican because to get his higher you did missions that were basically crazy taxi.
:lol: yea he was quality, and also probably the most useful person to have a good respect level with seeing as he was a mobile gun store!