Haaland vs Mbappe - Heirs Apparent

Who do you think will win the Ballon d'Or first?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Agreed. If you ask me who I’d rather watch I’d be taking Messi or Ronaldo, so I’ll agree they’re a cut above in a number of ways.

Now that’s some twisted arguing. So Haaland should be reaching Euro finals with Norway? It’s in no way comparable. The same way you can’t say that Pogba’s better than Ronaldo because he scored in and won a WC.

And Ronaldo was also part of an absolutely incredible United team, unlike anything Haaland has been a part of, under fecking Fergie. You’re either arguing in bad faith or blinkered.

Pardon the blunt phrasing. Xoxo.
I'm not arguing in bad faith. I'm not a Ronaldo fanboi, nor would I give two shits if Haaland surpassed him (other than the inconvenience of which club he plays for).

You said Haaland has had the better career so far and, strictly speaking, that's nonsense. I know he can't help being Norwegian but tough shit, Cristiano at the same age had been going places for years while this dude just won the Austrian Buli and scored a lot for a team that has a knack for doing so be it with him, Auba or Lewa.

Eriku

I'm not arguing in bad faith. I'm not a Ronaldo fanboi, nor would I give two shits if Haaland surpassed him (other than the inconvenience of which club he plays for).

You said Haaland has had the better career so far and, strictly speaking, that's nonsense. I know he can't help being Norwegian but tough shit, Cristiano at the same age had been going places for years while this dude just won the Austrian Buli and scored a lot for a team that has a knack for doing so be it with him, Auba or Lewa.
I meant in terms of their impact and ability to come good for their team at that age. fecking Jonathan Greening had been having a better career trophy wise than Haaland at this age, that doesn’t really say shit about how good or important he was to his team, now does it? It’s a nonsense argument missing the forest for the trees.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I meant in terms of their impact and ability to come good for their team at that age. fecking Jonathan Greening had been having a better career trophy wise than Haaland at this age, that doesn’t really say shit about how good or important he was to his team, now does it? It’s a nonsense argument missing the forest for the trees.
It’s very hard to compare the two as Ronaldo was literally a talented/skillful winger at that age, while Haaland was a strong/bully type of striker/goalscorer. There’s also almost no such thing as goalscoring wing forward prior to Ronaldo (he basically revolutionize that position in his own), so it’s even harder to compare their impact/ability at that age. Haaland vs Ronaldo at his 30s poacher version is much more comparable though.

But when Ronaldo was at age 22-23, he was on his way to win his first Ballon D’or and also golden boot. Let’s see if Haaland could do that too, I think he is on course though but it’s not guarantee, so let’s see.

Interestingly, I’d say Mbappe style resembles more of younger Ronaldo (electrifying pace, ball carries/progression, goals+assist) while Haaland style resembles more of the matured/older Ronaldo (pace+strength, efficiency, off ball movement, hunger to score, insane numbers). Antony style resembles the youngest version (skills+tricks, Joga Bonito factor).

Last edited:

Shai-Hulud

Mmbop is a more impressive player, but Haaland will score more goals in this City team.

SAFMUTD

Both are worldclass, but I think Mbappe has potential to be one of the best. I dont know if Haaland can, I know he'll break every single goal record but I dont think he has the "intangibles". That "wow" factor that Messi, Ronaldo, Mbappe, Neymar have. Haaland is a pure goalscorer.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Mbappe is better and will end up the better player too. Halaand is a great poacher but a poacher all the same. Mbappe is an all round brilliant attacker and has much more to his game - like the elite players do.

Marat

from this season Haaland will play with the best collective in the world, all the freaks in City will look for him. Mbappé plays in a good collective but far from City's alchemy. Mbappé will have to spend more energy and use more of his own tricks to score if we compare with Haaland. But, it's harder to score in PL than in L1. So the conditions are pretty even. Mbappé gives the impression that he can give a larger set of skills, and it's true if we take a look at the dribbling, combination and passing. But Haaland has a aerial card that Mbappé longs for. But, Mbappé can play in 3 different positions. Tremendous advantage in so many ways. If a game is locked he can find inspiration on the left wing to find another player, how are you supposed to know how to defend against a player who changes position so often ? So in that regard, if we put all the pieces together, small advantage for Mbappé. But it's a matter of sensibility.

wormdoktor

From Wikipedia: "the Ballon d'Or award honours the male player deemed to have performed the best over the previous year". Says nothing about style/panache/skills, yet some posters are implying that it can never go to Haaland because he's just a big dumb goal machine. It would be a travesty if Haaland, as is concievable, finishes this season with 50+ goals in PL and CL and doesn't win the Ballon d'Or. The leagues in which each play is key - Mbappe has spent his entire career in Ligue 1, while although yes, Haaland has played in some less competitive leagues, he has also excelled in Budesliga and PL.

Another factor, which may or may not be relevant, is that Mbappe is a Grade A Shitehawk.

Anderson_7_

This continues to be one of the most embarrassing threads on the internet.

Mbappe is a 10 times better player than Norwegian barbie. He can score as many goals as Norwegian plus contribute so much more to the game. He has the technique and actual footballing ability. Norwegian barbie is 100% pace and strength, 0% talent.

END OF DISCUSSION.

Canagel

Mbappe's decision making can be horrendous at times. He is lowkey a final form Rashford when you actually deep it.

Two prolific scorers but Haaland is less frustrating and therefore better in my eyes.

Last edited:

Huddsred

I haven't seen too much of Mbappe as I don't follow Ligue 1 and I would like to see him prove himself in a stronger league. Haaland is like a bigger, stronger Alan Shearer and I'm not surprised to see him score so many in the PL - he's made for it, but his injury record isn't great. It will be interesting to see who comes out on top as their careers progress.

antohan

Again, Cristiano's "impact and ability to come good" was such that a strong Portugal side was featuring him in a Euro final aged 19 and in a great World Cup run aged 21. He was also instrumental to reclaiming the EPL, not a squaddie like Greening. Bullshit parallel that, who's arguing in bad faith now?

Haaland looks phenomenal but has done nothing nowhere close to what Ronaldo had achieved at this point in his career. Facht.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
From Wikipedia: "the Ballon d'Or award honours the male player deemed to have performed the best over the previous year". Says nothing about style/panache/skills, yet some posters are implying that it can never go to Haaland because he's just a big dumb goal machine. It would be a travesty if Haaland, as is concievable, finishes this season with 50+ goals in PL and CL and doesn't win the Ballon d'Or. The leagues in which each play is key - Mbappe has spent his entire career in Ligue 1, while although yes, Haaland has played in some less competitive leagues, he has also excelled in Budesliga and PL.

Another factor, which may or may not be relevant, is that Mbappe is a Grade A Shitehawk.
Correct. But when it comes being the actual best footballer in the world Mbappe has a much better shot given that he is a more complete footballer . An individual award usually handed out to the star of a CL winning team? Sure it can go to anyone. Salah can win it if Liverpool win the CL.

colombianmancunian

M’Bappe is the more complete and diverse player. Halaand is a better goal scorer. M’Bappe is more like Henry if he never quit the wing, while Halaand is more RVN. I think both can win the Ballon D’or, it will take M’Bappe winning the CL or World Cup as the key man, and for Halaand it will take him winning CL as top scorer and key man for his team.

Who I’d prefer for United? Halaand, we need a 9to replace aging Ronaldo. Sadly the incapable Ole wasn’t able to bring him here when we could, and now he plays for Shitty and baldy

Withnail

Mbappe is a 10 times better player than Norwegian barbie. He can score as many goals as Norwegian plus contribute so much more to the game. He has the technique and actual footballing ability. Norwegian barbie is 100% pace and strength, 0% talent.

END OF DISCUSSION.
Thread isn't as embarrassing as this post mate.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic

END OF DISCUSSION.
:lol: Norwegian barbie has to be one of the funniest things I saw on RedCafe this year.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
It’s very hard to compare the two as Ronaldo was literally a talented/skillful winger at that age, while Haaland was a strong/bully type of striker/goalscorer. There’s also almost no such thing as goalscoring wing forward prior to Ronaldo (he basically revolutionize that position in his own), so it’s even harder to compare their impact/ability at that age. Haaland vs Ronaldo at his 30s poacher version is much more comparable though.

But when Ronaldo was at age 22-23, he was on his way to win his first Ballon D’or and also golden boot. Let’s see if Haaland could do that too, I think he is on course though but it’s not guarantee, so let’s see.

Interestingly, I’d say Mbappe style resembles more of younger Ronaldo (electrifying pace, ball carries/progression, goals+assist) while Haaland style resembles more of the matured/older Ronaldo (pace+strength, efficiency, off ball movement, hunger to score, insane numbers). Antony style resembles the youngest version (skills+tricks, Joga Bonito factor).
Wasn't George best a wing forward sometimes back in the days? I can remember George essentially saying something like that in an interview.

Last edited:

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline

END OF DISCUSSION.
So weird :lol:

Haaland on course to score 60 goals and you say this? It's okay to admit Haaland is a little bit good at this football sport.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Wasn't George best a wing forward sometimes back in the days?
Yes hence I use the word “almost”. But that was like 40 years ago, we don’t have a lot following the trend since then, and their numbers wasn’t exactly comparable anyway.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
I'd still go with Mpabbe. He's incredibly fast, a better dribbler, also clinical as hell but most of all he's more likely to create a goal out of nothing. Haaland is the ultimate poacher and penalty box striker.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager

END OF DISCUSSION.
The state of this.

slored1

END OF DISCUSSION.
Are you 7 years old?

Son

Who will be the better player in their late 20’s and early 30’s? Haaland will.

He doesn’t use the same amount of energy as Mbappe and will mature into a great poacher / holdup striker. Mbappe will fade in his late 20’s as defenders can finally match his pace. Those powerful sprints destroy an athletes legs over time.

Right now Mbappe is the best in the world maybe… but his style won’t keep him at the top for long.

He doesn’t have the physicality / height to operate like Ronaldo did at a later age or the football IQ to become a world class poacher. He can’t head the ball either like Ronaldo can.

One trick pony but it’s an awesome trick while he’s under 27. PSG’s struggle will be keeping him fit long term as we saw with R9 who had similar explosive power at an early age.

Zlatattack

We'll have to wait and see but unless Mbappe moves away from PSG and smashes it in a league that matters - I don't think he can be rated.

LARulz

I am still edging to Mbappe as I feel he has more to his game. He is a good finisher, just as quick if not quicker, skillfull and can play across more positions - all therefore you see him generally more involved

Halaand is fantastic and will break records. I do also feel he will develop his wider game under Pep

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Unerringly similar to the old Messi vs Ronaldo debate.

Zen86

Years ago Mbappe would have been by far the more revered player due to his better all round game and electric pace. Haaland is obviously a very good goal scorer, but I do wonder if his stock is even higher just because there aren't many players of his ilk any more.

Noot

Supports
Manchester City
Mbappe is better, but he chose to spend a huge chunk of his career in a league where everything is very easy for him and a league win is all but guaranteed* while Haaland is playing in arguably the toughest league in the world, and in my eyes that counts for a lot.

Cristiano Ronaldo, had he started his career in Ligue 1, wouldn't still be there at the age of 24, would he? He'd want to be proving himself. Mbappe not showing the same attitude can and probably should have an impact on his Ballon d'Or credentials, particularly as the competition has slowly morphed into a "who won the most trophies this year?" competition. Ligue 1 won't count for much, so with the way people currently vote Mbappe would probably only win it next year if he plays well at and wins the World Cup.

*If PSG have a competent manager

Last edited:

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

END OF DISCUSSION.
Your post is embarassing because it's fair to rate one over the other but no one is better "10 times" than the other.

zenith

If it's down to haaland and mbappe as heirs apparent. I just have even more respect for the talent that Messi and Ronaldo have. Truly once in a lifetime footballers and how grateful are we to have seen them at their best in the same.

Whoever might be the next contenders, don't even have one tenth the talent of these guys.

Eriku

Again, Cristiano's "impact and ability to come good" was such that a strong Portugal side was featuring him in a Euro final aged 19 and in a great World Cup run aged 21. He was also instrumental to reclaiming the EPL, not a squaddie like Greening. Bullshit parallel that, who's arguing in bad faith now?

Haaland looks phenomenal but has done nothing nowhere close to what Ronaldo had achieved at this point in his career. Facht.
Agree to disagree. I’m the same age as Ronaldo and was following him with great interest from day one after he came to United, and watched every minute of his Euro 2004. Exciting though he was, he was very much a rough work in progress at that point when it came to decision making and the like at that age. Haaland not so much.

I wasn’t comparing anyone to Greening, I was saying that pulling out things like trophies and finals without additional context is LIKE saying that Greening is better because he had a CL medal at 19. Ronaldo’s clearly better, but be was NOT that impactful during the Euros, which is what my point was. So the one arguing in bad faith is still you.

Last edited:

Eriku

No disagreement there. To me a lot of the disagreements here are of the kind similar to "Rooney was better when he was young"

Not really. More fun to watch? Definitely. Then he got older, wiser, got told to conserve energy a bit more, and became far more effective. Some might lament that, but the teams and the player themselves will tell you that they had improved.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic

END OF DISCUSSION.
And you continue to be the most prolific and embarrassing poster in it.

I highly doubt it's 'end of discussion' from your side, as you turn up every time he scores to inform us what a terrible player he is.

I've a funny feeling if he had signed for United your attitude towards him would be a little different.

Nevertheless please carry on with the cringe, butthurt posts - I look forward to seeing them week-in, week-out whilst Haaland continues to crush it on his way to 30+ PL goals.

LoneStar

Another factor that set Ronaldo and Messi apart from the rest was their sheer longevity and consistency. Hardly ever injured, and played a crazy number of matches every season.

Haaland does seem a bit injury prone, so whether he can do that as long as those two remains to be seen. Injuries can change players a lot.

antohan

Agree to disagree. I’m the same age as Ronaldo and was following him with great interest from day one after he came to United, and watched every minute of his Euro 2004. Exciting though he was, he was very much a rough work in progress at that point when it came to decision making and the like at that age. Haaland not so much.
"Haaland not so much"? At the same age he barely had a couple of caps in Euro qualifiers, never mind a full run to the final like the "work in progress" had.

His claim to fame was mercilessly bullying a shite Honduran U-20 reserve defence with both teams out and on 0 points. I had watched the full 90 two games prior and he was clearly a fecking unit but not even remotely at Ronaldo levels of impact for the same age.

At no point did I bring "trophy counts" into the equation other than ones where Ronaldo's personal contribution was significant: PL 06-07/07-08, CL 07-08, Ballon d'Or 08. Somehow Haaland has had the better career so far, go figure. Jonathan Greening... something.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
Haaland is the player Ronaldo became later in his career. A singleminded, force of nature, goalscoring machine.

He'll never be the mesmerising genius Ronaldo was earlier in his career, but he'll end up with better stats because he's developed into this impossible to defend against animal earlier.

He could honestly break every record there is to break. If Mbappe wants to be remembered on his level a la Messi vs Ronaldo, he needs to join a club in a proper league soon.
He was never a mesmerising genius at any point in his career. Please stop the cap.

SungSam7

This thread has all the similarities as we had with RVN and Thierry Henry.....

People here arguing that all Haaland has is being a penalty box merchant, same people more than likely argued that RVN does what a strikers job is meant to be, scores goals. How is it any different for Haaland, I would expect my striker to score goals, no matter how he does it. Can't believe the nonsense in this thread.

antk

This thread has all the similarities as we had with RVN and Thierry Henry.....

People here arguing that all Haaland has is being a penalty box merchant, same people more than likely argued that RVN does what a strikers job is meant to be, scores goals. How is it any different for Haaland, I would expect my striker to score goals, no matter how he does it. Can't believe the nonsense in this thread.
Tbf one of those two was the obvious better player and is remembered as such today.