Haaland vs Mbappe - Heirs Apparent

Who do you think will win the Ballon d'Or first?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Really? I'd say Mbappe would've done brilliantly if he's regarded as someone like Henry at the end of his career, which is comfortably a tier or two below Messi and Ronaldo for me.
He's already better than Henry, arguably. Certainly light years ahead of Henry at the same age

Whenever i watch him i get the same impression i got from ronaldo(nazario) or messi, that i'm watching the future best ever

OleBoiii

Haaland is more of a pure goalscorer. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that, but the Ballon d'Or seems to favour wide forwards who can do many other things besides score goals. If Mbappe is the new Ronaldo, then Haaland is the new Lewandowski. Both are capable of winning, but a Ronaldo type of player is more likely.

Keep in mind that I think Haaland will become better than Lewa, whereas I don't think Mbappe will be better than Ronaldo.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Doubt it. Where Lukaku went wrong was that he spent way too long time at defeatist clubs (5 years at WBA+Everton)*. Everton's tactics in big games were so awful during that period, they never believed they could get a result in those games. He developed a defeatist mindset himself and was a mental midget by the time he signed for United.

If anything Haaland is the complete opposite to Lukaku mentality wise. Last month or so since returning from an injury has been the worst I've seen of Haaland since I started following him 3 years ago. But even through this spell of poor form he has delivered class performances vs Leipzig, Gladbach and Sevilla. He just has this ability where he rises to the biggest occasions (18 CL goals in 13 games at that age is unheard of). Polar opposite to Lukaku who more often than not shrinks when the occasion is big.

(* you could argue where he actually went wrong was signing for Chelsea at a young age, become a part of their awful loaning scheme and having little autonomy on his own career.)
Could be, I don't think he necessarily has a weak mentality though if you hear him in interviews. Also doesn't seem to suffer from it at Inter and with Belgium.

You'll have watched a lot more of Haaland if you started following him three years ago, but I still have to see him be great in tight spaces, hold up play, that kinda stuff. His two goals yesterday were when there was acres of space (first one was brilliantly done by him though and didn't know he could do that). He's amazing in the box but I'm not sure he'd fit in a team that often plays against low blocks (maybe they already do that with Dortmund, not sure either).

He's already better than Henry, arguably. Certainly light years ahead of Henry at the same age

Whenever i watch him i get the same impression i got from ronaldo(nazario) or messi, that i'm watching the future best ever
I meant an overall career in terms of records, stats and trophies, not necessarily the highest level. Henry is a World Cup, European Cup, Champions League winner and has domestic titles and trophies in multiple countries. Longevity is very important if you wanna become the best ever, and e.g. why Ronaldinho isn't even in the conversation even if his peak was so high.

I have the feeling that I'm watching the future best player in the world, sure, but best ever definitely not for me. You can already see that he's never gonna surpass Messi in a lot of areas.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I meant an overall career in terms of records, stats and trophies, not necessarily the highest level. Henry is a World Cup, European Cup, Champions League winner and has domestic titles and trophies in multiple countries.
Mbappé is a WC winner - having the kind of international tournament Henry never even came close to in the process - multiple league winner, and CL runner-up. And he's 22. By individual season/competition he already has a better international tournament than Henry and at least as good of a CL campaign under his belt(16/17 with Monaco). If he wins CL and Euros this year, while playing the way he's done the other night, or in Russia, he could retire at the end of the season and he'd already go down in history as a better/greater player than Henry

Longevity is very important if you wanna become the best ever, and e.g. why Ronaldinho isn't even in the conversation even if his peak was so high.
Eh, Cruyff is in the conversation and he lasted less than a decade. Mbappé has been a top 10, top 5 player in the world for 4 years now...

Dinho isn't in the conversation because his peak wasn't as high as the guys who *are* in the conversation, not just because he lacks longevity

I have the feeling that I'm watching the future best player in the world, sure, but best ever definitely not for me. You can already see that he's never gonna surpass Messi in a lot of areas.
Doesn't need to, if he's just as impactful and effective overall. Cristiano doesn't surpass Messi in a lot of areas and at this point you can make a genuine argument he's the better of the two

SirAF

Ageist
Haaland is more of a pure goalscorer. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that, but the Ballon d'Or seems to favour wide forwards who can do many other things besides score goals. If Mbappe is the new Ronaldo, then Haaland is the new Lewandowski. Both are capable of winning, but a Ronaldo type of player is more likely.

Keep in mind that I think Haaland will become better than Lewa, whereas I don't think Mbappe will be better than Ronaldo.
I would agree with this. Interesting to see how they will continue to develop though.

GiddyUp

This club needs one of them but Ed will chase Kane for 100 million and end up with Calvert- Lewin for 75.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Don't really get the Zlatan comparisons. Zlatan was most of all a technically superb forward who earned most of his plaudits for what he did besides goalscoring. He has more in common with the likes of Dalglish, Cantona and Bergkamp than he does Shearer, Vieri or Haaland.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

At first I was going to call this out, but having a think, it’s not the worst shout. Internationally and in the CL, Mbappe sort of dunks on Henry already. The only thing Henry currently has over Mbappe is his domestic consistency (which came in Henry’s peak) and nothing Mbappe can do about just yet as he plays in Ligue 1. Henry’s 02/03 season where he did the 20+ goals and 20+ assists is a bit mental. Came second in the Ballon d’Or that season too iirc — that’s the sort of level I imagine we’ll see Mbappe hit within the coming years - either leading PSG to a CL or just leaving and ending up at Madrid or one of big boys in England.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Mbappé is a WC winner - having the kind of international tournament Henry never even came close to in the process - multiple league winner, and CL runner-up. And he's 22. By individual season/competition he already has a better international tournament than Henry and at least as good of a CL campaign under his belt(16/17 with Monaco). If he wins CL and Euros this year, while playing the way he's done the other night, or in Russia, he could retire at the end of the season and he'd already go down in history as a better/greater player than Henry
Just to play devil's advocate here: WC winner is WC winner, that's what on your resume and what people will remember 20 years after a career. CL runner-up: means nothing, Henry is a WC runner-up in which he was influential too in 2006. Multiple league winner: yeah, in France. Nothing against Ligue 1 or even its quality, but it's a one-horse race with PSG and Mbappe really needs to get out of there if he even wants to be considered in the GOAT discussion. Last sentence: big if so doesn't matter.

Eh, Cruyff is in the conversation and he lasted less than a decade. Mbappé has been a top 10, top 5 player in the world for 4 years now...

Dinho isn't in the conversation because his peak wasn't as high as the guys who *are* in the conversation, not just because he lacks longevity
Well, disagree on both fronts. Cruyff is an all-time great but he isn't in the GOAT discussion. No one places him above the likes of Messi, Maradona, Pele, Ronaldo, ... If anything he's at the bottom of that tier but to most people he'll be a tier below that.

Ronaldinho's peak was as high as anyone's.

Doesn't need to, if he's just as impactful and effective overall. Cristiano doesn't surpass Messi in a lot of areas and at this point you can make a genuine argument he's the better of the two
Disagree again, I don't think it's a discussion between Ronaldo and Messi but that's just me, and probably why we differ on Mbappe. I rate him highly too but like I said, would be highly surprised if he's ever considered as the greatest of all-time - not because of his lack of talent or anything but because who he's up against, what they've achieved (both in terms of stats and trophies) and how long they've done it for.

Walters_19_MuFc

Haaland's a goalscorer. He scores goals.

Mbappe is so much more than and is very entertaining to watch, especially when playing like he did the other day.

Both are superb talents but I'd say Mbappe.

Walters_19_MuFc

Mbappe
Club - 142 goals in 225 games
International - 16 goals in 39 games
CL - 24 goals in 42 games
Achievement. - won WC (and won a few French league)

Haaland
Club - 108 goals in 155 games
International - 6 goals in 7 games
CL - 16 goals in 13 games
Achievement - nothing major (won 2 Austrian league though)

I think Haaland is more deadly in front of goals, but Mbappe has better pace and skill, which is more pleasing to the eyes.
A lot of Mbappe's games have been on the wing.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
Before the game against Barcelona, all I had heard was that Mbappe was having a poor season. No doubt what he did was very impressive though.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Mbappe
Club - 142 goals in 225 games
International - 16 goals in 39 games
CL - 24 goals in 42 games
Achievement. - won WC (and won a few French league)

Haaland
Club - 108 goals in 155 games
International - 6 goals in 7 games
CL - 16 goals in 13 games
Achievement - nothing major (won 2 Austrian league though)

I think Haaland is more deadly in front of goals, but Mbappe has better pace and skill, which is more pleasing to the eyes.
Mbappe played the majority of his games on the wing so it’s unfair to compare goal records.

Aside from who is better, I think the pair of them will diminish Messi and Ronaldo's standing in the game over time. Right now the ridiculous goal numbers are held as Exhibit A in the GOAT argument for either Messi or Ronaldo, I think Mbappe and Haaland will show that's just how football is now and big scorers are the norm, rather than Messi and Ronaldo simply being so much better than the greats of the past.

Lee565

Is there a reason why these two can't be as good as messi and Ronaldo, both players are still very young and yet have impressive scoring records and performances behind them that can match both messi and ronaldo at the same stage in their careers and in mbappe's case he's already won
a world cup with france which he played a massive part in france achieving.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Nothing against Ligue 1 or even its quality, but it's a one-horse race with PSG and Mbappe really needs to get out of there if he even wants to be considered in the GOAT discussion. Last sentence: big if so doesn't matter.
PSG have won the league 3 times in a row now. Mbappé has won it 4 times in a row. Funny how ligue1 wasn't a one horse race when Mbappé broke through at Monaco...

abundance

Supports
Inter
Don't really get the Zlatan comparisons. Zlatan was most of all a technically superb forward who earned most of his plaudits for what he did besides goalscoring. He has more in common with the likes of Dalglish, Cantona and Bergkamp than he does Shearer, Vieri or Haaland.
The comparision IMHO stands on a physical parallel.

Both are very tall (6'4) and physically imposing strikers, who have a peculiar dexterity, balance, elasticity, and foot quickness that's hard to find in players their size.

Ibra wa more refined with taekwondo-honed composure and agility, and more acrobatic, Haaland looks rawer and bulkier but is still very effective with his body, and he's way faster and more explosive.

Then of course Ibra was another league with a ball at his feet, much better skills, artistry, and tight dribbling ability, but Haaland is no slouch technically in the end.

The way they interpret their role has parallels too.

They both are number 9s, no doubt abut that, but they aren't mere terminals, or target men (well Ibra obviously has become more of a static 9 at 39), they both drop deep a lot, roam wide, recover balls, challenge opponents in midfield, dribble and pass far away from the penalty box.

And they aren't just finishers - I suppose this last sentence would be taken as a given thinking of Ibra, while maybe doubted regarding Haaland, but it's interesting that overall career stats tell us Ibra as an assist every 328 minutes, and Haaland every 351 so far.

Halftrack

PSG have won the league 3 times in a row now. Mbappé has won it 4 times in a row. Funny how ligue1 wasn't a one horse race when Mbappé broke through at Monaco...
It was back then as well. It kind of looked like there might be a second horse in the race for a couple of seasons, but we now know that it was just a blip. Same as when Dortmund under Klopp won the BL twice.

"One-horse race" doesn't necessarily mean the same team wins every year. It can be that, but it can also be a league in which one team has one seven out of the eight last titles, and challengers have only managed to even get close in three of those seasons: Lyon in 14-15, Monaco in 13-14 and when they won it in 16-17. When no one is able to sustain any kind of challenge for more than a season every other season, it's a one horse race.

abundance

Supports
Inter
Aside from who is better, I think the pair of them will diminish Messi and Ronaldo's standing in the game over time. Right now the ridiculous goal numbers are held as Exhibit A in the GOAT argument for either Messi or Ronaldo, I think Mbappe and Haaland will show that's just how football is now and big scorers are the norm, rather than Messi and Ronaldo simply being so much better than the greats of the past.
Haha yeah I'm thinking about that since Haaland hit the ground running switching from Salzburg to Dortmund mid-season.
They won't diminish what Ronaldo and Messi have achieved in their career but they're gonna be a gift of god as a shield against overflowing fanboism. =)
We just have to pray god to keep them in good health into their thirties.

SER19

Pretty frustrating to think there's a small chance we could have had both. Would mbappe have been available when we took martial? Would more money have signed Haaland over dortmund

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
People are overstating the technical difference between Haaland and Mbappe. The only area Mbappe is better at Haaland is sprinting with the ball and it's not that big because Mbappe is not really a great dribbler in tight spaces which is why he struggles when teams sit back and makes things compact. Mbappe has more "flair" but effectiveness, I would give Haaland.
Mbappe has a little bit more than just better sprinting with the ball over Haaland in the technical department, don't be silly.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
There's something that needs to be taken into account though. At Dortmund, Haaland is the main threat are the entire team is going to try to find him. At PSG, Mbappé has to share the goal scoring with Neymar, Kean, Di Maria and Icardi. There's chances that Mbappé would have far more goals was he the main option on offense.

For exemple, this year you have so far in L1 :
Mbappe - 16
Kean -10
Neymar - 6
Icardi - 5
Sarabia - 4

In Bundesliga for Dortumund :
Haaland - 15
Sancho - 4
Reus and Reina - 3

HerrLeinad

Supports
Bayern München
There's something that needs to be taken into account though. At Dortmund, Haaland is the main threat are the entire team is going to try to find him. At PSG, Mbappé has to share the goal scoring with Neymar, Kean, Di Maria and Icardi. There's chances that Mbappé would have far more goals was he the main option on offense.

For exemple, this year you have so far in L1 :
Mbappe - 16
Kean -10
Neymar - 6
Icardi - 5
Sarabia - 4

In Bundesliga for Dortumund :
Haaland - 15
Sancho - 4
Reus and Reina - 3
You could also argue that leading the attacking line can be a lot harder especially for the type of player Mbappe is who likes to go through the channels and isn't at his best at playing with his back to the goal.
Look at us (Bayern) and a player like Müller who in theory can be a striker and has played there in the past but he is just so much better as SS or even out wide and does score more goals there because he simply gets into better positions while the actual striker gets the attention of CBs, not to mention you need the physicality and heading ability in the center too (not saying Mbappe doesn't have that at all but it's certainly not a strength).
So one might think/argue Mbappe could in theory score more goals as striker but I'm not sure that would really happen and imo is a reason why so far all his coaches still preferred to play him with a real striker on the pitch.

Also one little stat - Shots per 90minutes in the league:
Haaland: 3.8 (3.0 in the penalty area)
Mbappe: 4.0 (3.1 in the penalty area)

PS: The lack of other goal scorers for Dortmund just shows that the rest of the attackers have underperformed especially Reus who used to be one of the main goal scorers, not to mention that Haaland doesn't have amazing support this season. Neymar and so on don't just compete for goals with Mbappe, they also help/assist him so that's not a one sided equation.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
You could also argue that leading the attacking line can be a lot harder especially for the type of player Mbappe is who likes to go through the channels and isn't at his best at playing with his back to the goal.
Look at us (Bayern) and a player like Müller who in theory can be a striker and has played there in the past but he is just so much better as SS or even out wide and does score more goals there because he simply gets into better positions while the actual striker gets the attention of CBs, not to mention you need the physicality and heading ability in the center too (not saying Mbappe doesn't have that at all but it's certainly not a strength).
So one might think/argue Mbappe could in theory score more goals as striker but I'm not sure that would really happen and imo is a reason why so far all his coaches still preferred to play him with a real striker on the pitch.

Also one little stat - Shots per 90minutes in the league:
Haaland: 3.8 (3.0 in the penalty area)
Mbappe: 4.0 (3.1 in the penalty area)

PS: The lack of other goal scorers for Dortmund just shows that the rest of the attackers have underperformed especially Reus who used to be one of the main goal scorers, not to mention that Haaland doesn't have amazing support this season. Neymar and so on don't just compete for goals with Mbappe, they also help/assist him so that's not a one sided equation.
That's also true yeah but 2 years ago Mbappé played far more as a striker (because Cavani was injured) and scored 33 goals in 29 games without taking penalties.

Your right about his lack of heading ability though, he has none, it's one of his big flaws so far (and he'll need to work on that).

croadyman

You can tell that Haaland really enjoys the battle with Mbappe and it's driving him on to want more which is fantastic for the next team that is lucky enough to have him as their main man up front

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
These two will take over from Messi and Ronaldo, be interesting which one goes to Real and which one goes to Barca or might they both come to the PL?

Halftrack

Pretty frustrating to think there's a small chance we could have had both. Would mbappe have been available when we took martial? Would more money have signed Haaland over dortmund
Unlikely. Monaco had literally just signed him, and I don't think he'd even kicked a ball for their reserves at that point. Him and his family also turned down Chelsea and Real Madrid in the years before he joined Monaco because they didn't want to risk him joining a big club only to disappear among the rest of the talents. Plus, his plan was apparently always to spend his early career in France.

So Monaco likely wouldn't be willing to sell, and the player himself wouldn't have been too keen on making the move.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Mbappe played the majority of his games on the wing so it’s unfair to compare goal records.
I disagree. Mbappe plays in modern wing forward role with plenty of goalscoring chances in a very dominant side, in a team where wing forward (Neymar, Mbappe) usually scores more goals than striker (Cavani, Icardi). He also share the same role as many other top goalscorer wing forward in the game, such as Ronaldo, Messi, Neymar, Salah etc

Last edited:

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Yes but let’s not forget both Mbappe and Haaland are still playing in farmers/weaker league where scoring goals are considered easier. 34 year old ibra once scored 50 goals in a season over there in France (overall 156 goals in 180 games), while players like Werner has had good numbers over there in Germany too (34 goals last season).

Last edited:

SilentStrike

Supports
Feyenoord
Yes but let’s not forget both Mbappe and Haaland are still playing in farmers/weaker league where scoring goals are considered easier. 34 year old ibra once scored 50 goals in a season over there in France (overall 156 goals in 180 games), while players like Werner has had good numbers over there in Germany too.
Since when has "farmer" league become a mainstream way to describe any league weaker than the PL?

Bundesliga is the 3rd strongest league in the world yet you call it a farmers league? I knew such terms are used on Instagram but I honestly thought they'd not transmit over to the the caf.

Either way I believe Haaland has better numbers in CL than he does in the Bundesliga. Also scored against Bayern, so that argument can be thrown out of the window.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Yes but let’s not forget both Mbappe and Haaland are still playing in farmers/weaker league where scoring goals are considered easier. 34 year old ibra once scored 50 goals in a season over there in France (overall 156 goals in 180 games), while players like Werner has had good numbers over there in Germany too (34 goals last season)
Yeah because obviously they have a hard time scoring in the champions league. Hint : they don't. They both scored against teams like Liverpool, Bayern, Napoli, Juventus, City Barcelona, United....

Mbappe already scored 42 goals in the CL at age 22.

Last edited:

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Since when has "farmer" league become a mainstream way to describe any league weaker than the PL?

Bundesliga is the 3rd strongest league in the world yet you call it a farmers league? I knew such terms are used on Instagram but I honestly thought they'd not transmit over to the the caf.

Either way I believe Haaland has better numbers in CL than he does in the Bundesliga. Also scored against Bayern, so that argument can be thrown out of the window.
French league is farmers league, let’s not pretend it isn’t. BL is considered weaker league in general as compared to Spain and England etc, as there are many top attacking players over there who couldn’t do it elsewhere. (Werner, Havertz, Dembele, Mkhit, Kagawa etc)
But yes, both are good players who does well in CL and international stage too. I am not questioning their talent at all, but just saying their total numbers maybe inflated as they are playing in league where it’s far easier to score as compared to Spain and England.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Right now I like Haaland a little bit more, although it's impossible not to fall in love with Mbappé again after crushing Barcelona.
I don't know if charisma is the right word but Haaland makes me much more curious.
From his nationality, his appearance and forms, and the fact that nowadays such devastating strikers hardly appear.
I think I will wait to vote and be as opportunistic as possible.
The Ballon d'Or will depend on the mix of visibility and their club's project.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Before the game against Barcelona, all I had heard was that Mbappe was having a poor season. No doubt what he did was very impressive though.
Our defence is really good at giving out-of-form players confidence.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Yeah because obviously they have a hard time scoring in the champions league. Hint : they don't. They both scored against teams like Liverpool, Bayern, Napoli, Juventus, City Barcelona, United....

Mbappe already scored 42 goals in the CL at age 22.
I am only questioning their total numbers, not not their talents. If they stay in France and Germany managed to score 700+ goals in their career, it would look less impressive than someone who did it in better league, but still its impressive numbers. For example, Mbappe best season in PSG he scored 39 goals, impressive. But then Ibra did it in same team same league a few years back with 50 goals, but he then only managed 28 goals in England the season after. Sure Ibra is good, but the total numbers does inflated a lot from dominate side in those league.

Last edited:

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
It's hard to take anybody that says farmer's league seriously, unfortunately it's a lot of people even on here. The French league is a harder league to score in than the Bundesliga for example, and there's many examples of Ligue 1 player coming to England and performing better, the main issue with it is that the talents get exported, whereas in Germany, similarly to England, there's a tendency to stay put and not explore other leagues.