Haaland vs Mbappe - Heirs Apparent

Who do you think will win the Ballon d'Or first?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ladron de redcafe

This continues to be one of the most embarrassing threads on the internet.

Mbappe is a 10 times better player than Norwegian barbie. He can score as many goals as Norwegian plus contribute so much more to the game. He has the technique and actual footballing ability. Norwegian barbie is 100% pace and strength, 0% talent.

END OF DISCUSSION.
I don't know about "10 times better" :lol:
But yes, he's a better all-around footballer. Haaland will dominate the Golden boots over the next decade, while Mbappe will be racking up all the Balon D'ors

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Aged 22 Cristiano had played a Euro final, narrowly lost a World Cup semifinal and was instrumental in us reclaiming the Premier League from a Chelsea side that had set all sorts of league records.

Aged 23 he repeated that feat and won the Champions League, scored in the final, top scored in the competition and got his first Ballon d'Or.

Methinks Haaland still has some way to go to match him.
Haaland will probably do nothing of note at international level except break Norway's goal record.

This debate will be purely down to club performances as I'm sure Mbappe has already won the debate at nation level.

Chief123

Mbappe is a 10 times better player than Norwegian barbie. He can score as many goals as Norwegian plus contribute so much more to the game. He has the technique and actual footballing ability. Norwegian barbie is 100% pace and strength, 0% talent.

END OF DISCUSSION.
The same could be said about your post.

Eriku

"Haaland not so much"? At the same age he barely had a couple of caps in Euro qualifiers, never mind a full run to the final like the "work in progress" had.

His claim to fame was mercilessly bullying a shite Honduran U-20 reserve defence with both teams out and on 0 points. I had watched the full 90 two games prior and he was clearly a fecking unit but not even remotely at Ronaldo levels of impact for the same age.

At no point did I bring "trophy counts" into the equation other than ones where Ronaldo's personal contribution was significant: PL 06-07/07-08, CL 07-08, Ballon d'Or 08. Somehow Haaland has had the better career so far, go figure. Jonathan Greening... something.
Haaland was way more the finished article as far as output and impact on winning matches goes, and he went right into the CL and showed it with a hattrick in his first match there for a team that was far inferior to the United team Ronaldo played for. Your disingenuous claim that he was only known for thrashing Honduras at that age is shocking. Also, Ronaldo was on the bench early on in the tournament.

And no, you didn’t mention trophy count, sloppy phrasing by me. I meant how you invoke the Euro final as an indicator, which is where the Greening point came from, which in no way was meant to say that Ronaldo’s contribution was like his, just that it’s a shallow measure.

Anyway, this is boring. For my part I’m done with this.

Wilt

END OF DISCUSSION.
:lol: :lol:

Jcrossley94

END OF DISCUSSION.
This is tragic mate.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I hate these threads. Why do I read it? :lol:

Jcrossley94

I hate these threads. Why do I read it? :lol:
Why do you hate it? It’s the ultimate football fans thread style… Haaland or mbappe, black or white, ronaldo or messi, left or right.

YOU HAVE TO PICK ONE AND IF YOU GET IT WRONG YOURE A FAN BOI LUNATIC RACIST LIBTARD.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
Aged 22 Cristiano had played a Euro final, narrowly lost a World Cup semifinal and was instrumental in us reclaiming the Premier League from a Chelsea side that had set all sorts of league records.
Haaland plays for Norway so the relative Portugal success can't be a factor IMO, that was a very good Portugal team. Similarly with the PL, Ferguson built yet another strong team that CR was a part of. That doesn't necessarily make him better than Haaland.

Aged 23 he repeated that feat and won the Champions League, scored in the final, top scored in the competition and got his first Ballon D'Or
Haaland is 22.

Methinks Haaland still has some way to go to match him.
Haaland has started off as the player that CR eventually became and so Haaland thus far has been much more prolific. CR had the all round game before he pared it back so it's difficult to directly compare them at a young age. But the differences you've pointed out seem to be largely a function of the teams they were playing in rather than a real assessment of their abilities and impact as players.

diarm

He was never a mesmerising genius at any point in his career. Please stop the cap.
Yes he was. Just because the football he played with United between 2006 and 2009 wasn't the same squirrel chasing a nut trickery that Messi was about, doesn't make it any less mesmerising or any less genius.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Why do you hate it? It’s the ultimate football fans thread style… Haaland or mbappe, black or white, ronaldo or messi, left or right.

YOU HAVE TO PICK ONE AND IF YOU GET IT WRONG YOURE A FAN BOI LUNATIC RACIST LIBTARD.
Because it's one of the dumbest thing that Football fans can do. We have two different and genuinely talented young players, instead of appreciating both of them people decide to pick a side and try to make up asinine arguments against the other. It's one thing to have a preference and an other to constantly try to ridicule or mischaracterize players based on tribalism.

Jcrossley94

Because it's one of the dumbest thing that Football fans can do. We have two different and genuinely talented young players, instead of appreciating both of them people decide to pick a side and try to make up asinine arguments against the other. It's one thing to have a preference and an other to constantly try to ridicule or mischaracterize players based on tribalism.
Fan Boi.

Jcrossley94

I’m guessing based on his username he’s a bitter Swede.
Did you not read what he said?

END OF DISCUSSION.

can’t abide that level of ignorance, you have an opinion, which is just that, why not accept someone else thinks differently without having to try shut someone else down…

they’re both amazing players with completely different styles. mbappe will likely win more balon d’ors due to his international success. Haaland more trophies and golden boots. Is one better than the other? Who cares

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Haaland was way more the finished article as far as output and impact on winning matches goes, and he went right into the CL and showed it with a hattrick in his first match there
You were slating "young Rooney" as raw only a page ago?

Eriku

You were slating "young Rooney" as raw only a page ago?
He was. He got far more stable later. Haaland followed it up by breaking records in terms of how fast he’s racking up goals in the CL.

You really do just grab points without thinking, don’t you?

"Slating" :lol: Who the feck would argue against the fact that Rooney got more efficient in later years?

Let’s add some more context to show how freakish Haaland has been: Rooney landed on 30 goals in 85 matches. Haaland now has 25 in 20. You want to keep up this foolishness?

Last edited:

antohan

Haaland plays for Norway so the relative Portugal success can't be a factor IMO, that was a very good Portugal team. Similarly with the PL, Ferguson built yet another strong team that CR was a part of. That doesn't necessarily make him better than Haaland.

Haaland is 22.

Haaland has started off as the player that CR eventually became and so Haaland thus far has been much more prolific. CR had the all round game before he pared it back so it's difficult to directly compare them at a young age. But the differences you've pointed out seem to be largely a function of the teams they were playing in rather than a real assessment of their abilities and impact as players.
When you make the statement "better career so far" all that goes into the picture. Haaland has looked a superb talent and could have a sensational career but, so far, he hasn't accomplished much at all. Clearly, the same goes for Haaland vs Mbappe given that's the thread subject. That's why I find the "better career so far" completely disingenuous.

Leave aside track record and Haaland's trajectory looks more enticing going forward. His clubs and moves have been the correct ones to keep him on it. Mbappé? I always get the feeling he is not really challenging himself and at risk of stalling.

Ability-wise it's all ultimately down to uses and alternatives at your disposal. Haaland is somewhat more unique in today's football. Show me any top side and there's players they have that can "do Mbappe thingsTM" effectively while "their HaalandsTMx2" are nowhere close to reproducing the impact of the real thing.

antohan

He was. He got far more stable later. Haaland followed it up by breaking records in terms of how fast he’s racking up goals in the CL.

You really do just grab points without thinking, don’t you?

"Slating" :lol: Who the feck would argue against the fact that Rooney got more efficient in later years?

Let’s add some more context to show how freakish Haaland has been: Rooney landed on 30 goals in 85 matches. Haaland now has 25 in 20. You want to keep up this foolishness?
Dunno, make up your mind. First you say Rooney wasn't all that until later, follow up praising Haaland for a CL debut hat-trick, and then say I make points without thinking?

Guy's lethal, that much has been established long ago.

fck

Supports
Bayern
Mbappe is the better player and Haaland the better goal scorer. I think that's a fair assessment.

Eriku

Dunno, make up your mind. First you say Rooney wasn't all that until later, follow up praising Haaland for a CL debut hat-trick, and then say I make points without thinking?

Guy's lethal, that much has been established long ago.
Did I? Let’s review:

No disagreement there. To me a lot of the disagreements here are of the kind similar to "Rooney was better when he was young"

Not really. More fun to watch? Definitely. Then he got older, wiser, got told to conserve energy a bit more, and became far more effective. Some might lament that, but the teams and the player themselves will tell you that they had improved.
I said he got better later. Is that the same as saying he wasn’t all that when he was young?

Cut out your lying shit. I’m done with this, for real.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Mbappe is the better player and Haaland the better goal scorer. I think that's a fair assessment.
This season maybe, but Mpabbe has already scored around 230 goals at the age of 23. I know of course those goals won't be rated because he plays in the French league. However he's had masterclasses in the CL and for France as well.

fck

Supports
Bayern
This season maybe, but Mpabbe has already scored around 230 goals at the age of 23. I know of course those goals won't be rated because he plays in the French league. However he's had masterclasses in the CL and for France as well.
Yes, he is definately not far off. It could well be that Mbappe will be regarded as the better goal scorer at the end of their careers. We'll see.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
Yes he was. Just because the football he played with United between 2006 and 2009 wasn't the same squirrel chasing a nut trickery that Messi was about, doesn't make it any less mesmerising or any less genius.
Nah. No way a genius in my book. Just because you have skill, it doesn't make you a genius. Maradona was a genius. Ronaldo is not and was not.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Nah. No way a genius in my book. Just because you have skill, it doesn't make you a genius. Maradona was a genius. Ronaldo is not and was not.
Without derailing thread 2006/2007 Ronaldo was mesmerising. A different kind of genius or lvl if it.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Without derailing thread 2006/2007 Ronaldo was mesmerising. A different kind of genius or lvl if it.
Not a genius in the sense that he had creative ideas no one else saw. Maradona was that kind of genius while CR7 was (and Mbappe in a similar way is) doing a predictable thing extremely well. Mesmerising is a good word for that.

It's the fascination with many wingers, you just know what they will do and the beauty of their game is that still no one can stop them. Robben cutting inside from the right to score is another example of that.

Haaland doesn’t have that kind of skill, but he is unstoppable in a different way.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
A lot of people are wondering if he's blown it.
He's clearly derailing, only 9 goals in 6 games this season, and he had the most goal contribution in Europe way back in 2021. Past it. :houllier:

El Jefe

This will never feel like a true debate or rivalry until they start playing each other regularly in the same league or at least in CL semis and Finals like Messi and Ronaldo did before Cristiano left for Madrid.

I'm not even convinced they will own the next decade the way some people think. Wouldn't be surprised to see other players challenge their status as best in the world. Before the two freaks came through that title never stayed with one or two players for too long.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
This will never feel like a true debate or rivalry until they start playing each other regularly in the same league or at least in CL semis and Finals like Messi and Ronaldo did before Cristiano left for Madrid.

I'm not even convinced they will own the next decade the way some people think. Wouldn't be surprised to see other players challenge their status as best in the world. Before the two freaks came through that title never stayed with one or two players for too long.
Hopefully Halaand moves to Madrid rather than Mbappe to Liverpool. Best would be if we had an even pool of players rather than the whole G/A player fetish we've seen the last decade (with two much better footballers at least)

Polar

I think City is more likely to win CL with Haaland compared with if they had bought Mbappe instead. I also think United would’ve benefited more from buying Haaland instead of Mbappe.

Most people agree Mbappe is a better player because we emphasises certain skills, but it isn’t all about that.

Ballon d'Or isn’t about certain skills in isolation, but also about impact and correlation to trophies. That’s why I think Haaland can win Ballon d'Or at the expense of Mbappe.

antohan

I think City is more likely to win CL with Haaland compared with if they had bought Mbappe instead. I also think United would’ve benefited more from buying Haaland instead of Mbappe.

Most people agree Mbappe is a better player because we emphasises certain skills, but it isn’t all about that.

Ballon d'Or isn’t about certain skills in isolation, but also about impact and correlation to trophies. That’s why I think Haaland can win Ballon d'Or at the expense of Mbappe.
I'd agree at club level Haaland has a better platform. There's massive correlation with internationals though.

Mbappe has everything going for him there while Haaland's fortunes could go the same way as Lewandowski's if there are 2-3 comparable players with strong NTs.

The only guy not called Messi or Cristiano that won it since Kaká was Modric in a World Cup year.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
Not sure what you meant at the end of this?

Anyway I didn't see genius. I saw a fast, dynamic and tricky winger who became a fast, dynamic and tricky all round attacking player.

I don't see it in Mbappe. Which doesn't mean that he's not a great player. And obviously I don't see it in Haaland. All these guys have their immense qualities but I wouldn't use the word 'genius' to describe any of them, that kind of suggests an outrageous level of natural ability (to me anyway).

With players like Maradona and Messi who I do consider to be geniuses, they were astonishing people with their skill when they were still small children.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert

You could argue that Messi v Ronaldo almost entirely came about because they were in the same league. Haaland v Mbappe therefore feels kind of forced, because they have nothing to do with each other for the most part.

KeanoMagicHat

True enough, if you look Vinicius for example, he’s already won a CL as a key player and could do well for Brazil. He’s the same age as Haaland and younger than Mbappé. Real Madrid seem to be trusting him a lot at a young age and he could always be in the late knockouts of the CL

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness

END OF DISCUSSION.
I’m no fan of Haaland. Can’t stand the cnut. Also think his game is based hugely on physical gifts, albeit married to a great goal scoring instinct.

That said, the tenor and tone of your post is ludicrous and embarrassing. 0% talent is just a stupid comment. As is your shouty “end of discussion”. Reads like it was written by an angry 14 year old. And maybe it was, I don’t know.

georgipep

END OF DISCUSSION.
Grow up

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
I don't know about "10 times better" :lol:
But yes, he's a better all-around footballer. Haaland will dominate the Golden boots over the next decade, while Mbappe will be racking up all the Balon D'ors
Not if he stays in France for any length of time. Only one player at a French club has ever won the Ballon D'Or. Well 2 if you count Messi but you really shouldn't.

Mbappe has to win the CL to have a shot and even if he does (unlikely because none of the front 3 defend or press and he presses the least according to the stats) he has the problem of Neymar and Messi also getting votes.

International success can help him too, but that is very difficult to come by, especially as he's already won a WC. Very tough for France to win another tournament (ust going by history).