View full 2023-24 profile

5.4 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
He played a fair few games on loan at Birmingham and didn't get sent off. I believe his aggression is something that we could do with.
I was thinking that as well. He's played 64 club matches in the senior game, plus 27 internationals for Tunisia, and has he actually ever been sent off in any of them?

I know he has a fiery temperament, and seems to pick up some bookings quicker than other players -- and got two or three reds in the reserves for retaliation / dissent - but he's played almost 100 senior matches for clubs and country and I don't think he's ever been sent off yet. Yet he has the reputation on here that he gets sent off every match.

He played a fair few games on loan at Birmingham and didn't get sent off. I believe his aggression is something that we could do with.
The test was supposed to come when going up the levels - could he keep his composure with the spotlight on him? He mostly failed with that here, and his attitude was supposedly so bad on this loan he’s been made a pariah.

The test was supposed to come when going up the levels - could he keep his composure with the spotlight on him? He mostly failed with that here, and his attitude was supposedly so bad on this loan he’s been made a pariah.
I don't really agree with this. He was hot headed against Newcastle, lucky not to be sent off but he was well disciplined (and played well in my opinion) against Brighton, Burnley, Palace and Galatasaray.

He was subbed off at half time against Gala. He was laughing with Zaha on the way to the tunnel. I'm not sure if this is why he was subbed but this could display a bit of an immature attitude. I've read that at Seville he megged someone in training and laughed about it. Again, this is immature but not the end of the world.

He's still a fairly young player and may need a bit of nerturing. However, as I said in my original post: I think he will turn out to be a good player we will regret letting him slip through the net.

I would not be in a hurry to get rid of our young players, and would be looking to get rid of the expensive duds first.

We are losing Amrabat for certain, Ericksen and Casemiro are also likely, there are some rumours with Bruno and McT as well. We can't replace all of them in one go.

I would not be in a hurry to get rid of our young players, and would be looking to get rid of the expensive duds first.

We are losing Amrabat for certain, Ericksen and Casemiro are also likely, there are some rumours with Bruno and McT as well. We can't replace all of them in one go.

I fully agree with this but don’t think he will pan out to be anything more than a squad player here who will eventually have a good career elsewhere at a mid table team like Andreas P or Adnan.

I fully agree with this but don’t think he will pan out to be anything more than a squad player here who will eventually have a good career elsewhere at a mid table team like Andreas P or Adnan.

Maybe, he is still at an age where he can develop rapidly under the right conditions. In the end, selling him now for 10-20m is not that useful rather than keeping him and using him, and helping him develop, even as a squad player. Think we made the same mistake with Garner and Kovar imo. Casemiro looks past it, and Amrabat is returning after wasting 10m on him. And Onana has been pretty disappointing considering the money involved.

He's only featured in 1 of their last 8 games. He got 8 mins off the bench.

Sevilla have been decent the past 2 months or so. 17 points taken from their last 9 games (27 points).

Cádiz are battling relegation, so will be up for it.

You were right, no time on the pitch. Sevilla were god awful though. The number 42, slightly more attacking CM, was shite warmed up so I simply don't believe he's starting ahead of Hannibal on merit. The DM, 24, looked like a baller though, not on the same wavelength as the rest of his navel gazing teammates.

Anyone else think he could have done a job for us in midfield in the 2nd half of the season? Particularly in that 'Fred' role of pressing high and consistently.

Anyone else think he could have done a job for us in midfield in the 2nd half of the season? Particularly in that 'Fred' role of pressing high and consistently.

Maybe, but I don't think anyone anticipated Mount being out for the whole season. He's also a bit too much of a hothead and a pressing role out would either work as a great outlet for his energy, or it will exacerbate his worst tendencies... I don't really know.

I see what you mean. With the injuries we have had and the form and/or quality of Casemiro, McTominay, Eriksen and Amrabat in midfield he would and should have had some options to show what he could do in midfield. It is not like he would have done significany worse than the other players or cause us to end lower than 8th

I definitely think so ... The moment he fell out with the Sevilla squad just because he laughed at a teammate in training, we should have pulled him back. There have definitely been games where we could have done with his energy

On another note, I hope we don't loan another player to Sevilla. The loans are an absolute waste.

They have no interest in developing a loanee player over their own, so they never get enough minutes. They are just a way for them to build squad depth without spending money. On top of that, while La Liga is obviously a tougher challenge and a much more technical league than the Championship, the latter is a better analogy for the Premier League than La Liga.

I know Greenwood is doing well at Getafe but he's an exception. Getafe:
a) are a lower expectation club than Sevilla and
b) see Greenwood as a rare to opportunity to sign on the cheap a class player they would never otherwise be able to afford or attract.

On another note, I hope we don't loan another player to Sevilla. The loans are an absolute waste.

They have no interest in developing a loanee player over their own, so they never get enough minutes. They are just a way for them to build squad depth without spending money. On top of that, while La Liga is obviously a tougher challenge and a much more technical league than the Championship, the latter is a better analogy for the Premier League than La Liga.

I know Greenwood is doing well at Getafe but he's an exception. Getafe:
a) are a lower expectation club than Sevilla and
b) see Greenwood as a rare to opportunity to sign on the cheap a class player they would never otherwise be able to afford or attract.
We have Getafe a significant commission on future sale which encouraged them to showcase him. Aren’t they receiving like 20-30% of the fee?

Yes. But the manager doesnt seem to rate him hence he sent him out and he had a very poor loan.

He's also very fiery so while he's shown he has the legs and running for it hes also prone to getting himself in trouble so that might be one area where he loses the manager's trust.

His star faded fast, remember a couple of seasons ago he was rated highly.

His loan at Birmingham was average and last season at Sevilla was a total disaster. He's 21 already so not so young anymore, his contract expires next season so I doubt we'll loan him again. Most likely he'll be sold for peanuts as Ten Hag don't rate him.

I’d imagine we sell him this summer with a hefty sell on. I can see him doing well at Dortmund or Leverkusen or even Luton. He’s going to be a good player, like Perrera. He just needs to iron out the kinks in his game and the only way to do that is minutes

I’d imagine we sell him this summer with a hefty sell on. I can see him doing well at Dortmund or Leverkusen or even Luton. He’s going to be a good player, like Perrera. He just needs to iron out the kinks in his game and the only way to do that is minutes

Yeh I feel like he's gunna turn out to be a really good, albeit not elite, player but unfortunately it won't be with us. Can definitely see him forging a very successful career for himself at one of those clubs that's always in Europa league, and occasionally in the CL.

Yeh I feel like he's gunna turn out to be a really good, albeit not elite, player but unfortunately it won't be with us. Can definitely see him forging a very successful career for himself at one of those clubs that's always in Europa league, and occasionally in the CL.
That, eh, kind of sounds like us.

That, eh, kind of sounds like us.

That’s why we need better if we want to kick on. I can see him being a decent squad player here but to ever get to the level where he could be a starter he needs to prove himself elsewhere. Look at Garner, good solid PL player who could still go up a level or two. Nothing wrong with that but just not really top level

Sadly, I agree that I expect him to be sold this summer. If so, hopefully with add ons and sell on fee and, especially, a buy back option.

Real shame as I definitely think there's the potential for a very good all action CM in him. The idea that just because there probably isn't a World class player in him then he should be sold as we need to aspire for higher I don't really get to be honest. We've brought through / signed plenty of solid players who aren't elite level world class players over the years but who are still good enough to make contributions to the first team.

And I'm very confident that had he been handled differently over the last couple of years that he'd have kicked on more rather than stagnating. Sadly, I think it's probably the right time for him to get a move to a team that'll give him opportunities and, as others have said, I wouldn't at all be surprised to see him at some point establish himself in the PL, or one of the other top 2 or 3 European leagues, and to play for a regular EL or CL club.

He's so much closer to that level than to the many who drop down to the EFL / National League. It's a real sliding doors moment. Had this played out again, with maybe a different manager trusting him, or different loan options, Hannibal could easily be knocking on the door of our first team squad or already be in it.

I really hope we've not seen the last of him in a United shirt (in competitive games, not PSF's).

Hannibal is the kind of player Chelsea would sell for 25mil, hopefully our new management can get a good deal for him.

He's obviously talented, but maybe too aggressive.

Maybe any deal could include a buyback clause.

Sadly, I agree that I expect him to be sold this summer. If so, hopefully with add ons and sell on fee and, especially, a buy back option.

Real shame as I definitely think there's the potential for a very good all action CM in him. The idea that just because there probably isn't a World class player in him then he should be sold as we need to aspire for higher I don't really get to be honest. We've brought through / signed plenty of solid players who aren't elite level world class players over the years but who are still good enough to make contributions to the first team.

And I'm very confident that had he been handled differently over the last couple of years that he'd have kicked on more rather than stagnating. Sadly, I think it's probably the right time for him to get a move to a team that'll give him opportunities and, as others have said, I wouldn't at all be surprised to see him at some point establish himself in the PL, or one of the other top 2 or 3 European leagues, and to play for a regular EL or CL club.

He's so much closer to that level than to the many who drop down to the EFL / National League. It's a real sliding doors moment. Had this played out again, with maybe a different manager trusting him, or different loan options, Hannibal could easily be knocking on the door of our first team squad or already be in it.

I really hope we've not seen the last of him in a United shirt (in competitive games, not PSF's).

Yes agree. I really hope he doesn't become a Pereira mark 2 for us, who I always thought could have been a useful player for us under Ole and then again for ETH but I do realise at that point in the summer of 22, he just wanted to go regardless.

Even now Hannibal can be a good option off the bench to give us energy, some ball retention from deep etc. It's mental ETH has played him in the false 9 and the loan move to Sevilla has been bad.

I never understood why he was highly rated (or was he?).
Not a good player, high energy but you can find that easily in young players. Good technique but not enough brain. Hope for the lad I'm wrong, but personally I think his career will spiral now.

I never understood why he was highly rated (or was he?).
Not a good player, high energy but you can find that easily in young players. Good technique but not enough brain. Hope for the lad I'm wrong, but personally I think his career will spiral now.
I get why you'd think that but he's highly rated by people who watched him in the youth teams. Yes it doesn't translate, but he was so much better than everyone around him and used to run games by himself with bags of energy, dribbling, short passes, long passes, pressing, we saw it all. It's hard to think even after the jump, that such talent just disappears. It got to the point the opposition used to just foul him to try and put him off.

In pre-season he played against some French club (Lens?) with other fringe players and completely bossed the game after a slow first half.
We only saw one game for us competitively where he showed his skill when he came on to help us keep possession and close out a game. Apart from that, it's mostly be hustle, so I won't begrudge anyone for wondering what the hype is about.

Contract runs out in 2025, so he’ll most likely be sold.
Cheers.

Yea, that seems to be the case then. Bummer, I had high hopes for him and always enjoyed watching him play in the youth teams.

Hope he does well wherever he lands.

Status
Not open for further replies.