View full 2023-24 profile

5.4 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
He had decent game and did his job well. Think ETH really likes him seeing how they reacted when Hannibal was subbed off. Managers like players who can follow their instructions and Hannibal looks like is doing that. Our front shape is actually better in press with him, and he is talented on the ball as well.

Needs to keep performing the roles for next few games and make himself more comfortable in first team. Promising signs

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I completely agree.

The AM role is absolutely crucial, especially out of possession in a team that wants to play the game in the opponent's half. And knowing your role as a player out of possession in that particular area is vital to thwart the opponent's quick transition which can expose the vulnerabilities in the whole system. So for me that role is why we signed Mason Mount because he has the out of possession game to enhance the system tactically due to his intelligence, tenacity and athleticism. We got trounced in a number of games last season and one of the reasons was that opponent's would comfortably bypass Bruno centrally.
It’s going to be interesting to see how the three of them are utilised as we’ve gone from only Bruno to now having Mount and Hannibal all offering something in there.

Hannibal covering others spatially is not being spoken about enough; granted it’s not the offensive stuff, but it’s making a huge difference to the pace the opposition have to play at to pry openings into the chasms there usually are. Tactically, it’s more than mindless running about despite him looking manic out there. You’ve highlighted other tangibles in your post; he’s a player moving and acting at the tempo you need to affect the game and he’s definitely making his mark.

Not worried about him as an actual footballer. In fact, that’s the least of the worries.

Midfield is going to be a very interesting area of the pitch for us with all these options and Hannibal definitely has his part to play!

bstb3

He’s got a sending off in him that is for sure.
He does, and I was a bit worried about that tonight although I don't think it would have changed the result. I think a lot of us were expecting him to come off sooner to protect him, but with hindsight he has to learn to be able to play while on a yellow - we can't be taking him off each time he gets booked. In that respect it was the right option to leave him on in a game where the risk was low, allow him that development. Good management by Ten Hag that, I thought.

In terms of his performance it was tidy, if nothing spectacular. Maybe a little safe, a little back to goal, but it's ok. He is still learning and played a part in a good team performance, which will help him.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Funnily enough his tackles weren't that bad and got yellow on his first foul. If it wasn’t for the commentator to constantly point out “he needs to be careful”, i wouldn’t have noticed that he was on “thin ice” . Seems like some players reputation makes them more visible since his tackles post yellow card werent bad at all and players like Rodri do it throughout the game

Dominos

I can't be the only one who doesn't see it with him?

Didn't see the hype against Burnley, certainly didn't see it tonight.

I'm not sure if he has any attribute that is particularly impressive. Nothing special in terms of control or passing, dribbling, running with the ball, goal threat. He seems to be getting plaudits for being a youth player running around and getting stuck in, but you're going to need a lot more than that to be a United level midfielder.

I know he's young but can't help but feel he's getting undeserved hype as every single academy product does on here.

Mainoo looks a much better talent from what we've seen of him.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout

I'm not sure if he has any attribute that is particularly impressive. Nothing special in terms of control or passing, dribbling, running with the ball, goal threat. He seems to be getting plaudits for being a youth player running around and getting stuck in, but you're going to need a lot more than that to be a United level midfielder.

I know he's young but can't help but feel he's getting undeserved hype as every single academy product does on here.

I know it's a very small sample size but the last time I saw him play for us was in 2022 and I thought he was utter shit who kept wandering around the pitch and doing nothing. I thought that Elanga provided us with more attacking influence during that time ffs. Seeing him last night was like seeing a completely different player. He was running into good channels and holding his position well. Defensively a bit suspect but he was tracking back at least, which means that he was following the manager's instructions which is clearly the most important thing if we want to play with this system.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
I like the disruptions he caused to their attacks and forced the next play into a 50/50 for Casemiro and McT/Mount.

If he can put in a few more daring or probing attacking passes to his current game, he will be a massive contributor.

Can only get excited for him.

Ludens the Red

Saw Birmingham a few times last season and he got booked so many times early in games but would never get sent off yet would continuously go hard into challenges :lol:

As for Hannibal in general for the thread I don’t think he’s technically great or has any stand out abilities but he’ll be a managers pet because he will run himself into the ground and never shy away. Nothing Like Mctominay and his pretend hard man/passion act. He could be very useful in certain games as Park Ji Sung was.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri

Not that I agree with your assessment of his lacking every single attribute required to be a good player for us, but do you understand the importance of off the ball work?

Blood Mage

He's good but just too much of a loose cannon at times. I don't think we can afford to start him against Liverpool or City that's for sure.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout

Some players come straight up and look like silk from the moment they are promoted, others take time. Hannibal was always aggressive, combative and constantly prodded by the opposition as an under here, but despite that, he played really good, progressive football from deep with tidy, expansive passing and very good link up play as well as driving runs that went straight at the heart of midfield. The question was never whether he could make it as an actual footballer at that time, it was whether he had the temperament and composure to complement his talent. He's come up with a reputation that is all action, aggression and gives no credence to his abilities as a footballer, which is odd for anyone who has followed him for a long time.

He looks a bit ragged and not particularly standout in terms of technical ability at the moment, but he shows in flashes what he was doing all the time when making a name for himself in the unders - perhaps his greatest two moments this season have been the goal and the outside of the foot pass to Rashford. Those flashes of brilliance will become more a common theme than a flash as he settles, but for now he is going to be erratic, over eager and quite desperate to perform as the manager has requested of him. Does that mean he can't do both and simultaneously be a terrier and a baller? No, not really, but for that kind of midfielder, they have more to iron out and construct as pros/midfielders than players who are already calm, composed and not trying to rein in their aggression.

The whole point of nurturing these youngsters is to mold them and refine their game. Cutting away the chaff and either rounding out or honing their skillset (we're seeing exactly this with Garnacho) - Hannibal is not the finished article in terms of what he should potentially go on to become, but in the meantime, he's showing he can go out there and perform as the manager requires of him. Unlike numerous players who have bloated our squad, he has shown the prerequisite ability to at least be given his chance to make his mark this season.

Most academy products are slaughtered and declared not good enough quickly enough; there really aren't many who have been followed for as long as Hannibal has. There are threads from 3+ years ago about the player, which carry the same common denominator about his temperament and composure being stumbling blocks, not his talent.

Mainoo has ice running through his veins compared to Mejbri. From the outset, before skill/talent is factored in, it gives him an advantage because he can be trusted to not flap or lose his head. It also gives Mainoo his whole time on the pitch to focus purely on his game and to take that time to assess the pitch and how he can best be of use on it at any given moment. That buys him time, and time lends way to better - or more considered - execution. In terms of mentality and composure, Mainoo is miles ahead of Mejbri and his trajectory looks different because of that. Of course, he is very probably a better footballer outright, but that composure he has frames a lot of what he does differently and that affects execution, in particular i.e. Mainoo has already placed himself optimally to receive a pass and make a half-turn away from danger in open space whereas Hannibal is still scurrying toward the ball, off-balance and with a lot less time to frame what's around him or make his next move - he's rushed, and that betrays technique. The time Mainoo buys for himself is a special quality in a midfielder and it gives him a different platform to perform on.

Development isn't linear and both of them can field on the same pitch in your typical fire and ice combination: they might eventually meet in the middle once Hannibal matures, but that's not an issue for the here and now.

It's also really important to note that Mejbri gets less time to operate being so high up the pitch. He isn't a consummate #10, he doesn't think or move like one, and that's going to affect his usage of the ball. Mejbri got his shine as an under in the #8 role where he could roam and find space to work from. Where he works is now dictated to him by the role he has been asked to play. You'll get a clearer idea of the technique and ability he has when he's set deeper and has the play ahead of him because that's his thing - his real thing - not being an auxiliary in the hardest position on the pitch in the professional game.

Reactions: Invictus

Adnan

Talent Spotter
It’s going to be interesting to see how the three of them are utilised as we’ve gone from only Bruno to now having Mount and Hannibal all offering something in there.

Hannibal covering others spatially is not being spoken about enough; granted it’s not the offensive stuff, but it’s making a huge difference to the pace the opposition have to play at to pry openings into the chasms there usually are. Tactically, it’s more than mindless running about despite him looking manic out there. You’ve highlighted other tangibles in your post; he’s a player moving and acting at the tempo you need to affect the game and he’s definitely making his mark.

Not worried about him as an actual footballer. In fact, that’s the least of the worries.

Midfield is going to be a very interesting area of the pitch for us with all these options and Hannibal definitely has his part to play!
Agreed.

I think the clip below illustrates exactly what is required out of possession. And both Hannibal and Garnacho are busting a gut to get back and thwart the potential counter. And you're correct it's a key requirement to have the tactical side of the game ingrained in one's mind out of possession. And it's not just about running around without direction but rather rather it's about running around with a clear directive on what one must to do out of possession. Hence why it's important to have the intelligence, athleticism and tenacity to thwart opposition transitions.

I think EtH has quite a few he options he can go with. But imo, I would have Mount and Hannibal as the central attacking midfielders with Bruno inverting into central areas from the right with the fullback providing width or even the underlapping runs.

Erik ten Hag can potentially go with the below lineup in some games. It's a 433 on paper but once the team progresses the play it turns into a 3241 shape in a higher defensive line. But it's important the central attacking midfielders have the running power to thwart opposition transitions.

-----------------------Hojlund-------------------
--Rashford------Mount------Bruno---Dalot--
-----------Casemiro-------Amrabat-------------
------Shaw------Martinez------Varane---------
----------------------Onana---------------

Dominos

Not that I agree with your assessment of his lacking every single attribute required to be a good player for us, but do you understand the importance of off the ball work?
Off the ball work is necessary but insufficient by itself to be an elite midfielder.

Bernardo, De Bruyne, Rodri, Gundogan with just their off the ball work but none of the technical brilliance are not playing for City right now, they'd be nobodies.

It's possible he's mega talented in terms of his passing and ball carrying, and has shown it at youth level, but just hasn't shown it for the first team yet. But I'll reserve getting overexcited about him until he actually shows some technical talent in his appearances at senior level.

In Rainbows

Still a long way off what I believe he is capable off. He needs more games at this level to really express himself with his passing and carrying for me.
Well, we would probably have a greater chance of seeing it if he was allowed to operate deeper than #10 or wing positions. There is no reason why he could not perform Dan Gore's performance if given the opportunity, but ever since United moved him in an attacking position, it seems like Ten Hag or any manager believes that to be his true position.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.

Have you been watching our midfield over past decade or so? It doesn’t really need to be a lot more than that to be a “United level midfielder”

tenhagsimp

It looks like he can always follow the manager instruction to the T which I think is a very underrated skill to have as a player. The days of players doing whatever they wanted on the pitch are over unless you are prime Ronaldo/Messi even then they still need to follow the manager instruction.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
Certainly needs to tidy up on the ball at this level.

Even with how comfortable the game was there seemed to be moments where he was taking an additional touch where there wasn't one, or not picking the right pass.

But again, he's been very comfortable on the ball in the younger teams, it takes some time to adapt at this level.

He has played a handful of senior games at the top top level.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Good shift again.

Hopefully he'll settle down a bit and show a bit more of the quality he did at youth level. Not sure he's fully shown that yet, but he's doing all the prerequisites very well and the manager will be liking that.
If I remember right, every time he moved up a level, it took him a number of matches to get up to pace. Initially he looked poor, but gradually started to assert himself in the team.
I know this can be said for every player, but it's like he studies everything whilst on the pitch, and mentally makes those adjustments over a number of games.
Yes, I know every player probably does something similar, but I think Hannibal is a very smart footballer, and will be a very important player for United for many years to come.
By the way, do Tunisians and Moroccans get on?

Davie Moyes

I'm baffled by those that can't see it with this lad. He's got silk and steel in abundance.

I don't see the ruggedness in his play. Or maybe I've seen enough of him at younger levels to know his on the ball technique is elite and its just a matter of time before he shows more of it in the first team.

aeh1991

Just glad he is given chances and he's taken them. ETH seems to be very content with him so far.

crossy1686

career ending
Seen enough of him to know he can play a part at points but he probably shouldn't be relied upon in big moments or games. His energy and attitude are great, hopefully he continues to improve and can be another option for us on a more consistent basis.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Seen enough of him to know he can play a part at points but he probably shouldn't be relied upon in big moments or games. His energy and attitude are great, hopefully he continues to improve and can be another option for us on a more consistent basis.
You have to remember he's only 20. Years off his peak.

Real Name

Where's the hype. Nobody said he's the next Scholes or something. What he did thus far he did well. And he's certainly not running around aimlessly. Midfield has a completely different look with him out there and teams dont go through us like a knife through butter.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Mini-Bruno then
Not really. I don’t think Bruno’s ever been sent off? Hannibal’s already been sent off at least a couple of times (I think?)

Once for getting a second yellow when he asked for someone to be booked. You could see him very deliberately keeping his hand behind his back when he confronted the ref after not booking a Palace player for a bad tackle. Which is good, I guess, but still a risk.

Nick7

Only thing I’m really worried about, is he doesn’t get on the ball enough. Only Mount and Martial had less passes than him yesterday.

tidraKS

He's okay, I thought against Burnley he was better. Last night, he stopped our play at times.

The Purley King

Hopefully he can learn to stop sliding in from behind whilst running towards our goal with a player.
Did it 2 or 3 times after being booked for the same thing. Can’t win the ball all of the time, though his energy really helped, we strangled them in possession was great to see.

Onerealunited

2 games in row as starter. Played with many non first team players. Did really good given the fact that he is still young and played in the middle where you’d have a lot of pressure throughout the game…

I love his energy and his aggressiveness. I would much rather have a player with lot of energy and aggressiveness and eagerness and then work on optimizing those than a player with no energy, aggressiveness and eagerness and learn him that…

I hope we let him play as many games as possible, maybe not as a starter but as a sub in almost every game together with Garnacho… I can see him cover a lot of the midfield spots and hole ETH utilizes that

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Thought he was great. Has all of Fred's tenacity, but much better on the ball. He's a walking yellow though, so hope he tempers down a touch.

But really encouraging performance from him.

Dominos

Have you been watching our midfield over past decade or so? It doesn’t really need to be a lot more than that to be a “United level midfielder”
The last decade proves my point. The players we've had over the last decade haven't been the level we require, and we've paid the price.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Played well but needs to cut down the unnecessary fouls.
I think too much us being made of it. His booking yesterday was not a booking for me, and the fouls were just standard competing really, nothing that should run him the risk of being sent off.

He fouls no more than McTominay, for example, who tackles with his arms and has never been sent off. Scott is booked every game he starts too but never seen him walk.

Born2Lose

2 games in row as starter. Played with many non first team players. Did really good given the fact that he is still young and played in the middle where you’d have a lot of pressure throughout the game…

I love his energy and his aggressiveness. I would much rather have a player with lot of energy and aggressiveness and eagerness and then work on optimizing those than a player with no energy, aggressiveness and eagerness and learn him that…

I hope we let him play as many games as possible, maybe not as a starter but as a sub in almost every game together with Garnacho… I can see him cover a lot of the midfield spots and hole ETH utilizes that
Completely agree. Amazes me how many on here watch the PL week in, week out and fail to recognise how important energy is to a competent midfield.

Santos J

I think too much us being made of it. His booking yesterday was not a booking for me, and the fouls were just standard competing really, nothing that should run him the risk of being sent off.

He fouls no more than McTominay, for example, who tackles with his arms and has never been sent off. Scott is booked every game he starts too but never seen him walk.
100%. He has a bit of a reputation for it now which I think people are just nervous of but in reality most after were just nothing fouls that nobody bats an eyelid about when any other player commits them. He picked up a yellow every other game pretty much with Birmingham and didn't get sent off, he'll be fine.