Hannibal Mejbri | Birmingham Loan Watch

simmee

Not even top two.

Who the hell are Trusty and Bielik?
Trusty and Bielik are both 24 and some of the posters rank Hannibal low because they don't believe they have any chance of getting him anyway. Pointless comparison.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Trusty and Bielik are both 24 and some of the posters rank Hannibal low because they don't believe they have any chance of getting him anyway. Pointless comparison.
But in that case he shouldn’t be on the list at all, not 3-4.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Is that it?! Jaysus. Reading the comments above was expecting a hell of a lot more. Glad to hear things are going well for him but Chong was class for them last season and seems to have been excellent again this season. Yet the whole caf decided he’s an absolutely rotten footballer. Go figure.

Onwards and upwards for Hannibal from here, hopefully. First step would be to look like a much better player than Chong does in that team. By all accounts, he’s not there yet.
He’s done pretty much every action well, including passing, dribbling, crossing and tackling a number of times. This is a very positive performance.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Is that it?! Jaysus. Reading the comments above was expecting a hell of a lot more. Glad to hear things are going well for him but Chong was class for them last season and seems to have been excellent again this season. Yet the whole caf decided he’s an absolutely rotten footballer. Go figure.

Onwards and upwards for Hannibal from here, hopefully. First step would be to look like a much better player than Chong does in that team. By all accounts, he’s not there yet.
The vitriol toward Chong on here was strange. He was a talented young player whose been unfortunate to have two long term injuries in his short career so far, he never really got a proper chance I don’t think.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
You're correct, Trusty and Bielik are both in their mid 20s and are on loan from Arsenal and Derby County. Bielik is a DM who is a Polish international and Trusty is a CB who some Arsenal fans feel is good enough to play for their first team some day. So it's understandable if some Birmingham fans feel the more established loanees would be the better bet for them in the long-term.

But having watched Hannibal in both his starts for Birmingham, he's doing well and even the Hull City fans have acknowledged his talent. And as far as Chong is concerned, he's either being utilised as the most advanced midfielder or even as a left sided forward in a 352 formation. Him being so advanced on the pitch will likely result in more assists. But getting assists doesn't mean you're the most creative player, because creativity imo isn't measured by the player's ability to play a high volume of final passes before a shot.

Hull City fan.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
My only gripe with Hannibal is his temperament. Other teams are aware off it. Take the Hull game, he’s bundled over and his first reaction is to get up and shove the player. He has to watch that because you get the wrong ref.. the more he doesn’t control it, the more other teams will target him specifically so he needs to iron that out. He’s got all the other skills to succeed

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
The vitriol toward Chong on here was strange. He was a talented young player whose been unfortunate to have two long term injuries in his short career so far, he never really got a proper chance I don’t think.
Yeah, he’s a decent player. Who’s done very well in the Championship. A career progression that Hannibal is only just getting started on.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies

I mean, Chong was never a bad player and always one of our better youth talents, he just struggled with the step up to PL level. It's also worth remembering that Birmingham was his 3rd professional loan and he's 3 years older than Hannibal so a more mature level of performance, even last season, isn't entirely unexpected.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I mean, Chong was never a bad player and always one of our better youth talents, he just struggled with the step up to PL level. It's also worth remembering that Birmingham was his 3rd professional loan and he's 3 years older than Hannibal so a more mature level of performance, even last season, isn't entirely unexpected.
Good point. I hadn’t realised he was that much older.

Still, I found it weird the way he was getting absolutely slaughtered based on a couple of rusty performances in pre-season, while a player who’s achieved far less than him (Hannibal) was supposed to be fast tracked into the first team.

jeepers

My only gripe with Hannibal is his temperament. Other teams are aware off it. Take the Hull game, he’s bundled over and his first reaction is to get up and shove the player. He has to watch that because you get the wrong ref.. the more he doesn’t control it, the more other teams will target him specifically so he needs to iron that out. He’s got all the other skills to succeed
Yeah I thought for a moment there his head had gone. If he can keep his temperament in check, which he did well after that early reaction because he received a few other late tackles. Like you said, he will be targeted to get a reaction out of him. There was one point in this match where Bacuna made a poor tackle and Hannibal was the one cooling the situation - good to see.

He has some engine on him, absolutely pressing machine and he doesn't press aimlessly for the sake of pressing. Good with the ball at feet too, with some nice flicks and dribbles in tight spaces. I also liked his run for the Bacuna goal, it pulled the CB out and gave Bacuna a bit more space. Let's hope he finds consistency and doesn't get injured so he gets plenty of game time this loan. He seems to be developing a good relationship with Bacuna as well.

Chong looks rapid eh. I thought he looked sluggish and slow in pre-season with us and I thought it was because of the serious injury he sustained last season.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I actually had high hopes for Chong at one point but after his failed loans at Werder Bremen and then in Belgium with Club Brugge, it was pretty obvious he wasn't going to make it at United. If you can't get into the Werder Bremen or Club Brugge first 11s, then the writing is on the wall.

Marwood

Still, I found it weird the way he was getting absolutely slaughtered based on a couple of rusty performances in pre-season, while a player who’s achieved far less than him (Hannibal) was supposed to be fast tracked into the first team.
It's based on potential and talent level. Probably some hype as well. You want the more talented player involved over the player who has maybe done a bit more at that point.

Right now who would you like to see integrated into the first team, Mainoo or Galbraith? Galbraith has done more in his career so far but I don't think there's any question what the answer is.

What I don't get is analysing a young players loan on a game by game basis. I get dragged into it myself because I really want them to break through, but it's silly really. Just let them play a full season, hopefully get 30 appearances and then see how they've done.

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
I love aggression in football. Obviously, like you said, he needs to be smarter with it.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir

Chong had a couple of poor loan spells for middling clubs in Europe. His chance to impress was 2-3 years ago.

But in general the bar is way higher for wide/primarily attacking minded players than for CMs thanks to our recruitment strategy. If you don't have outstanding qualities as a wide player (James, Elanga) you'll be replaced by a 80m shiny toy with good stats from a different league. If you don't have outstanding qualities as a central player you'll continue to get significant game time for years (McFred). So I can sort of understand why there would be more hope and expectations surrounding a talented central player from the academy.

mav_9me

Your expectations were higher cuz of the posts above, leading to being underwhelmed.

Lot of good defensive work, good touches and good passing.

I am just glad he started the game, did well, and hopefully will build on this.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
He’s got more chances at United than he should’ve. He made his first appearance for the first team at 2018 and he never showed any promise at that level (I’m sure that he’s a good player for a Championship side) — and yet he was still here this summer aged 22.

Mainoldo

His body is filling out. I love that we’ve sent him to the gritty Blues. Great experience for him and his temperament.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Chong and Hannibal are both flash-in-the-pan talents. Hair today, gone tomorrow.

Dec9003

Yeah, he’s a decent player. Who’s done very well in the Championship. A career progression that Hannibal is only just getting started on.
It seems like Birmingham is a good place for Hannibal to be in terms of his progression, it’d be nice if he could progress to the point of being ready for the first team.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
He’s got more chances at United than he should’ve. He made his first appearance for the first team at 2018 and he never showed any promise at that level (I’m sure that he’s a good player for a Championship side) — and yet he was still here this summer aged 22.
He barely played 500 mins in total for us competitively and the majority of his performances came when we dumped the reserves who’ve not played much and expect them to impress.

But sure, that’s too many games and we should have continued playing the same starters who’ve continuously failed to impress.

Nick7

I've always thought Chong was a very talented youngster. Seemed to struggle mentally with the step up to the first team. Always looked incredibly nervous.

Re: Hannibal comparisons to Trusty and Bielek. Must be said Trusty has been with Birmingham since January and Bielek has spent 3ish seasons playing in the Championship. Will take time for Hannibal to get the experience of the league.

phelans shorts

He barely played 500 mins in total for us competitively and the majority of his performances came when we dumped the reserves who’ve not played much and expect them to impress.

But sure, that’s too many games and we should have continued playing the same starters who’ve continuously failed to impress.
Absolutely amazing that this post is about Tahith Chong. He was significantly worse than those starting ahead of him, and most of them weren’t up to scratch either.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Absolutely amazing that this post is about Tahith Chong. He was significantly worse than those starting ahead of him, and most of them weren’t up to scratch either.
The last 3 months from our starters was way worse than anything that Chong has shown.

It’s amusing how some players can get the leeway for being crap the entire season while our youngsters are expected to perform when we throw them in for 15 mins and dismissed when they can’t do that.

phelans shorts

The last 3 months from our starters was way worse than anything that Chong has shown.

It’s amusing how some players can get the leeway for being crap the entire season while our youngsters are expected to perform when we throw them in for 15 mins and dismissed when they can’t do that.
My word, you aren’t half talking some shit.

Dec9003

My word, you aren’t half talking some shit.
You’re sort of proving our point. He was given limited minutes and a weird amount of vitriol was thrown at him and anyone not joining in.

phelans shorts

You’re sort of proving our point. He was given limited minutes and a weird amount of vitriol was thrown at him and anyone not joining in.
Saying he’s bad at football is not vitriol. His performances were repeatedly abysmal with not even a hint of something beneath the surface, also not vitriol. He absolutely didn’t deserve a spot in the side and 2 managers clearly thought this was the case, 4 if you include the managers of Club Brugge and Werder Bremen (I actually think Bremen might have sacked a manager while he was there so that could easily be as high as 6 managers), which also is not vitriol.

Saying he should have been playing is plain ridiculous based on the evidence provided from his performances with 4 different clubs given his spell at Birmingham hasn’t really helped his stock at all, since he’s ended up back there and everyone in the premier league had no interest.

Mr PG

I watched Chong live when the youth team toured Dallas, TX and I could see he was very far away from making it as a premiership footballer. i honestly felt he'd never make it...he was that bad.

Mr PG

I just finished watching a reply of the game and Hannibal from my POV is showing pretty drastic improvements. The skill has always been apparent — so has the attitude, the spectacular tackles and everything — but for a PL first team player the consistency has definitely been shaky and his play hasn’t been very conform with the team. And the last part is definitely something that will make Ten Hag doubtful about using him (compared to say an Elanga who despite’s all his faults will be 100% zeroed in on doing what the coach wants).

Even if Hannibal is fighting for a spot and trying to prove his worth — I think his decision making from the coach’s point of view was more impressive. It’s obviously that he got a good “exit meeting” with Ten Hag/team representatives pointing him in the right direction.

Also, I want to add that from my point of view, both Hannibal and Laird are much closer than what they get credit for. Hannibal isn’t quiet there yet — but when he gets there, you are not getting a ‘meh’ performance. The kid will be spectacular. Someone compared him to Bellingham. I mean, they are different and JB was on another level in terms of stability and so forth. But Hannibal definitely also has many abilities that someone like JB does not have. I would honestly say that Hannibal from my POV has the highest potential of all kids coming up the last decade. If Hannibal arrives and can acclimate to ETH’s style, you will have a player with abilities that no coach in the world would turn down.

Lastly, re ETHs decision to not go with him this year. I have nothing against that, I 100% agree with it. Look, you got to respect all the aspects that goes into to this besides the obvious capability to play with and without the ball. Look at Casemiro against Everton. He played a heck of a game, right? But let not forget that he gift wrapped 1-0 for Everton. That is a big boy performance if anything considering how unphased he was by it. This team has and will be a real mess for parts of this season. Why did Arsenal give Guendozi away? He is now almost a starter for the French national team. Guendozi was ‘rushed’ to the PL and put in a situation it was impossible to perform well in — and couldn’t handle it.

I would read nothing into that and I would be extremely surprised if ETH wasn’t very impressed with Hannibal.
Attackers are less likely to cost a team goals so coaches can take more of a risk with them. Midfield is the hardest position to integrate in a team and you're getting challenged from every direction all the time. I agree Hannibal and Zidane are top level their bodies just need to fill in. Hannibal also tried to do too much whenever he played (maybe he was too used to dominating his age levels and you get a lot more space and time on the ball than in the real game)and I felt he needed to keep it simple....and play with more urgency....which he has done.

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
Attackers are less likely to cost a team goals so coaches can take more of a risk with them. Midfield is the hardest position to integrate in a team and you're getting challenged from every direction all the time. I agree Hannibal and Zidane are top level their bodies just need to fill in. Hannibal also tried to do too much whenever he played (maybe he was too used to dominating his age levels and you get a lot more space and time on the ball than in the real game)and I felt he needed to keep it simple....and play with more urgency....which he has done.
For sure, I think that Hannibal’s potential is much higher than Zidane’s — but the fact that Zidane is here and Hannibal isn’t highlights what the later’s issue is, doesn’t it. Zidane is calmed on the field, he doesn’t run around too much, and so forth. Play Hannibal in a game in the PL and he could be the story of it — in a good or bad way. And under those conditions you don’t want a kid on the field. We saw with Guendozi in Arsenal how costly it can be.

And this is why I like what I saw from Hannibal in his last game so much. He focused more on his role. Taking care of his duties first and foremost. When he got that pinned down he can be given a chance in the PL because we can count on that his confidence won’t be blown by him costing us games and so forth. But from that point and forward — my bet is that his stock will sky rise. He really has a unique combination of abilities and someone with his attitude, the emotions he plays with, he will get noticed. He is so effective when he runs, can out pace most. He got a great passing foot. He can dribble.

footballbite

Exactly.

It's not really much different from what I've seen of him in the reserves - it's mostly short simple passes, running around a lot, falling over and kicking people. The few times he tries anything more adventurous than a simple pass along the ground to a player in loads of space he overhits it.

I still don't really know what he's actually good at, or going to contribute at a high level to a senior team, aside from running around a lot and kicking people (and sometimes getting the ball as well)? He fouls more often than he wins the ball, his passing isn't anything special, he doesn't really score goals. The only thing that's slightly above average with him is his dribbling, but it's not really the most useful skill for a central midfielder to specialise in as silky but ultimately limited players like Barkley and Loftus-Cheek show.

Dec9003

Saying he’s bad at football is not vitriol. His performances were repeatedly abysmal with not even a hint of something beneath the surface, also not vitriol. He absolutely didn’t deserve a spot in the side and 2 managers clearly thought this was the case, 4 if you include the managers of Club Brugge and Werder Bremen (I actually think Bremen might have sacked a manager while he was there so that could easily be as high as 6 managers), which also is not vitriol.

Saying he should have been playing is plain ridiculous based on the evidence provided from his performances with 4 different clubs given his spell at Birmingham hasn’t really helped his stock at all, since he’s ended up back there and everyone in the premier league had no interest.
Saying someone is talking shit is vitriol, no? Chong is a decent player, he wasn’t good enough for United, no shame in that. Considering he had two bad injuries already in his career he probably didn’t get the chance he might’ve ended up earning had he not. His spell at Birmingham absolutely did help his stock, they really liked him on loan until he got a bad injury which curtailed his season. Why would they sign him on a permanent deal otherwise?
Like I said, it’s one thing to think he’s not good enough, but people have a weird agenda against the kid and go out of their way to talk rubbish about him.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Birmingham drew 1-1 with table topping Burnley and the Birmingham fans are very happy with Hannibal again.

RPT_Reddevil

Good to see that the loan is going well.

Can be an understudy to Ericksen next season

In Rainbows

More good news. As a midfielder he has a lot of freedom, but it's because he has huge workrate to compensate. Similar to how Vidal was at Juve.

Sea-Cow

Exactly.

It's not really much different from what I've seen of him in the reserves - it's mostly short simple passes, running around a lot, falling over and kicking people. The few times he tries anything more adventurous than a simple pass along the ground to a player in loads of space he overhits it.

I still don't really know what he's actually good at, or going to contribute at a high level to a senior team, aside from running around a lot and kicking people (and sometimes getting the ball as well)? He fouls more often than he wins the ball, his passing isn't anything special, he doesn't really score goals. The only thing that's slightly above average with him is his dribbling, but it's not really the most useful skill for a central midfielder to specialise in as silky but ultimately limited players like Barkley and Loftus-Cheek show.
I admit to being way wrong about a number of United players, but your post makes me question if you've actually ever watched highlights of him, or if you simply have insanely high expectations for a 19 year old kid! I agree that he is not without flaws and he could obviously look to add goals to his game, and obviously needs to work on his temper, but read those texts from Birmingham fans! That doesn't sound like they are watching the same player that you described in your post.

Eye of the beholder and all that but I see an extremely talented footballer when I watch those comp videos. I will be flabbergasted if he doesn't go on to have a wonderful career at top clubs.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Hope we give him a chance as one of the 8s next season. Pick one of Fred and Mctominay and go with these next season
Casemiro
One of mcfred
Eriskon
Mjebri
Bruno
New signing

6 for three positions is just about right. That's if he develops well this year of course and if he doesn't we send him on loan again.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Why are people going on about Chong or desperate for Hannibal to prove their agenda’s?

If you’ve nothing positive to say about a 19 year old ripping it up in the championship on loan then just stay out of the thread and give him time to develop.

Hannibal is a special talent. Chong, I could see after about two minutes of watching him would never make it at United.