Harry “Cheat” Kane

TheLord

He has always been the darling of the media and the pundits, and has always managed to escape criticism - until yesterday to be honest.

Yesterday's actions were quite cringeworthy.

croadyman

It would be hard to find a quality No.9 who isn’t dirty and physical. It’s part of the job description, otherwise CBs have won the mental battle before it starts.

Shearer was absolutely brilliant, but he was incredibly physical and loved using his elbows. Competing in that physical battle gains you those inches for headers and snapshots that these players need to keep up their ridiculous consistency.

I sometimes think that the clean presentation of football helps us forget how incredibly physical it is. Gettin absolutely smashed by a 6’4 CB with legs the size of trees can’t be fun.

If you don’t do what you can to get ahead, you don’t get the goals that he does. He is a reliable guarantee of goals no matter how badly your team is playing.

I want him here!
Yeah when you have already scored over 20 league goals this season I could live with these antics once in a while

Sparky Rhiwabon

This fecking guy.

The absolute state of his acting last night, with the bizarro crawl onto the pitch against Italy still fresh in the memory.

He’s had his own patented “back into airborne defender to try and flip them onto their head” move for ages. Constantly diving for penalties, flopping to the ground to win frees. He’s football cheating incarnate.

Has anyone ever come across any mention of this in the media?
What, England's Harry Kane?

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
I have no idea how such a dull mundane character like Kane can create such venom - so fecking bizarre. Incredible footballer who would be brilliant here and infinitely less cringeworthy to watch than Bruno and Antony if antics aren’t your thing - though personally I love a bit of shithousery in my team. Unless we’re losing - then it proper winds me up :lol:

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
It was smart move. To make sure that Everton player gets a red (which he deserves).
Refs lots of time don't give deserved foul/penalty/ card because players don't make a fuss about tackle.
That was as blatant a red card as you'll ever see, regardless of what Kane does.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
Think there's a little more at stake in a Premier League game than there is in a wetherspoons game. When there's millions of pounds at stake in the top 4 race, people are more willing to engage in the dark arts. Humans are naturally going to behave differently depending on what's at stake. I might exaggerate certain things in a job interview because there's a huge pay rise at stake, but if I talked about myself in the same way in the pub with my mates then I'd be ridiculed.
if you did that in front of wetherspoons’ hr department, they’d throw you in with the nonces.

Fr. Todd Unctious

Shocked that some of the media are actually for once calling him out in this. Wonder is it because he's being so heavily linked with us.

We've seen it plenty before where the only time the media call out English players is when they play for United. (Still adamant that if Beckham was playing for anyone else in 98 he wouldn't have gotten half the vitirol from the Press)

Sylar

That was as blatant a red card as you'll ever see, regardless of what Kane does.
Whilst I agree, we've seen blatant decisions not given (although to my mind the obvious ones which are different are regarding penalties, and players going down to ensure the ref makes the decision)

Kane going down like he did was OTT.
But at the same time it's sad that you can actually question whether a ref (including with var) would give the correct decision

dbs235

Of course anywhere other than a football pitch it's nowhere near enough to send a grown man to the floor. But its a pretty solid majority of current players that would go down for that and this one actually had a bit more force in it than some other examples.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Definitely milked it but any modern footballer would do that if they were slapped in the face. State of the game. Nothing to see here.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
He committed 2 yellows in that sequence and should have been sent off. Can't believe nobody is mentioning it.

Mike Smalling

Harry Kane is no worse than the majority of Premier League footballer with this kind of stuff. Could you imagine Bruno reacting any differently? Did you see Jesus going down like he was shot, when lightly tapped on the knee? As much as no-one likes it, it's become integral to the game.

The only difference between Kane and the rest, is how the media treats him.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I can't say I'm a fan of the "everybody else would do the same" argument. It's not wrong, I'm sure most players would, but it's that sort of tolerance towards it that allows playacting, diving and timewasting to just keep getting worse. Referees and VAR are happy to come down hard on little scuffles like this, but refuse to touch embellishment. The argument is that it's "a part of the game" but it really shouldn't be.

Teams can't rise above it, because they'd put themselves at a disadvantage. It needs to come from the top down. I remember years ago the FA assembled a 'retrospective diving panel' that was supposed to assess instances of diving and playacting, and it was basically never heard of again shortly after it was put together, when they should have been dishing out bans.

What Doucoure did was dumb, it's a definite red, but generally I've got more of a problem with embellishment to get a player sent off or diving to win a penalty than I do with a bit of pushing and shoving, yet one is handled much more extremely than the other.

And it's not just a Harry Kane thing, I don't watch enough of Spurs to know how frequently he's at it. I get enough of it watching Bruno roll around though. He'd probably be the first to go to diving jail, if they ever did decide to try and stamp it out of the game.

croadyman

I have no idea how such a dull mundane character like Kane can create such venom - so fecking bizarre. Incredible footballer who would be brilliant here and infinitely less cringeworthy to watch than Bruno and Antony if antics aren’t your thing - though personally I love a bit of shithousery in my team. Unless we’re losing - then it proper winds me up :lol:
I so could have wrote this post because sums up my exact feelings on the matter

poleglass red

I'd be more annoyed at the Everton player, in a must win game in a fight for relegation, doing something as silly as that, leaving your team a man down. Of course Kane overreacted, that's the modern game unfortunately, but lifting your hand like that is a 100% red card

Oranges038

He himself deserved at least a yellow and he knew it. Threw himself down long enough for it to blow over and ensure Doucoure got a red.

Clever, but also makes him look like a right pr1ck.

jackal&hyde

This fecking guy.

The absolute state of his acting last night, with the bizarro crawl onto the pitch against Italy still fresh in the memory.

He’s had his own patented “back into airborne defender to try and flip them onto their head” move for ages. Constantly diving for penalties, flopping to the ground to win frees. He’s football cheating incarnate.

Careful, he will be our new number 9.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

if you did that in front of wetherspoons’ hr department, they’d throw you in with the nonces.
Did what?

It's a game of football with millions of pounds at stake. Stakes are higher than they are at wetherspoons.

Yes, he could've stayed on his feet instead of going down but unfortunately with these incompetent refs you've got to exaggerate contact otherwise it'll get overlooked. Just look at Podence spitting in a Forest player's face on Saturday. The ref in the VAR room didn't have the balls to call that as a red after watching multiple replays. Had the Forest player made a meal out of it then that 100 percent gets given as a red card.

Big Andy

Bloke
I like how we're all conveniently forgetting how many times Bruno has done exactly what Kane did, and we're all crying for red cards.

Gandalf

Ok well, again, please enlighten me the last time a player got hit in the face and just shrugged it off and didn't go to ground. I can't think of one myself.
It is not recent but I still love that Stuart Pearce took a full on headbutt from Basile Boli and just stared at him as if to say "is that all you've got". Closer to home Sparky would often take blows but generally his response was just to hit back harder when the ref was not looking.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Did what?

It's a game of football with millions of pounds at stake. Stakes are higher than they are at wetherspoons.

Yes, he could've stayed on his feet instead of going down but unfortunately with these incompetent refs you've got to exaggerate contact otherwise it'll get overlooked. Just look at Podence spitting in a Forest player's face on Saturday. The ref in the VAR room didn't have the balls to call that as a red after watching multiple replays. Had the Forest player made a meal out of it then that 100 percent gets given as a red card.
:lol:

This is the risk we take when @rimaldo is allowed out of his cage to play in the football fora.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
I have sympathy for the players. Its obviously coached into them to the point where they'd have questions to answer if they didn't go down clutching the face. Same with diving, although the latter is more of a cheating act in my book

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
:lol:

This is the risk we take when @rimaldo is allowed out of his cage to play in the football fora.
i’m just engaging with the indigenous species of fauna found in the fora, on their terms. attenborough gets a knighthood for this sort of thing, yet the admins here refuse give me any money for my time.

Taroliev

When you got acting chops, it's a crime not to use them. No wonder Hollywood keeps hiring British actors.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

i’m just engaging with the indigenous species of fauna found in the fora, on their terms. attenborough gets a knighthood for this sort of thing, yet the admins here refuse give me any money for my time.
Somewhat ironic that you refer to others as indigenous given the cretinous views you've put forward on here.

RedDevil@84

This fecking guy.

It is called being "street smart". It is a thing when it comes to certain players, especially the English ones.

Wing Attack Plan R

Kane can play like a big pussy if he wants to, I just find it undignified. I played on after tearing my ACL in a game, I played on after dislocating my shoulder: I never wanted to give the opponents the satisfaction of knowing they hurt me. In Kane's case, of course VAR was going to look at the incident, he didn't need to try and give Al Pacino a lesson in over-acting. Anyone know how good Osimhen is at acting?

Abraxas

You can see that moment where he is deciding whether or not to go down quite clearly. Evidently, he decided it would be a good idea to try and get a player sent off. I think the ref could/should have shown a red anyway, but it is fairly embarrassing to see an England captain and a player of his reputation and calibre doing that. I do expect higher standards from someone like him compared to the average player.

Most players might do it but personally I don't think Harry Kane should be most players. He has a high reputation and standing in the game and is a top class player and it's just a circus act from him.

Conor

you can be english and roll around and feign injury to get a penalty but under no circumstance do you go down under that kind of contact to the face. imagine doing that in a wetherspoons game on a friday night? you’d be thrown in with the nonces.
So a normal Friday night then?