Harry Amass | Signs professional contract

In Rainbows

Why do you think we have sent him on loan with an obligation to buy when we have had a season full of leftback injuries? I guess it'll remain one of life's mysteries to you.
This doesn't prove your point at all. Murray is playing in the 5th tier of English football.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
That’s right. But on the other hand, if we win he feels involved and gets his share of praise, and it will be a good foundation to keep moving forward.
He’s only 16. Let the boy develop at his own rate. You risk more than you possibly gain

witchtrials

Maldini started his first match at 16 - all be it played only one match that season. But next season at 17 became a regular for Milan.
Sounds like as long as Amass is as good as the best in football history we've got nothing to worry about.

red.knight

Injury to Shaw or not, Ten Hag’s had a plan for Amass. Amass has been training with the first team on and off since the turn of the new year. He will be 17 in few weeks. No messing around. He will start against Fulham. If you're good enough, you're old enough.

The new generation will take us to the top, Garnacho, Kobiie, Hojlund, Amass, Kambwala and a few more talents coming up.

mat85

Injury to Shaw or not, Ten Hag’s had a plan for Amass. Amass has been training with the first team on and off since the turn of the new year. He will be 17 in few weeks. No messing around. He will start against Fulham. If you're good enough, you're old enough.

The new generation will take us to the top, Garnacho, Kobiie, Hojlund, Amass, Kambwala and a few more talents coming up.
Alot of the youth players that are brought up to first team training are to make up numbers when first teamers are given a rest/injured. Some are also just brought up intermittently for the experience. So i read anyway

The Red Thinker

Alot of the youth players that are brought up to first team training are to make up numbers when first teamers are given a rest/injured. Some are also just brought up intermittently for the experience. So i read anyway
This is true. Good thing is, ironically, with so many Left backs out injured through the season, Amass has been training a LOT with the first team. It will make his positional play when called upon, solid. Physically though, I don’t know how he will do.

Acquire Me

Same. Have you listened to one of the recent Talk of the Devils podcasts with Nick Cox on it? Was a very good listen and encouraging too, hearing him talk about more than winning itself the core directive of the management of the youth teams is to develop and look after the players, more than anything.
I heard that one by the way. Very good listen and I am confident that Nick Cox is one of the best people we have. I believe that we succeed more than anyone in the youth area because we focus on taking care of each other in a very human manner instead of pure footballing focus.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...

People put too much stock in a couple training pictures. Every youth player trains with the first team at times. Charlie Wellens trained with the first team at 16. Was there some incredible plan for him? No.

Players are brought into first team training for a multitude of reasons, largely to make up numbers in positions and for early exposure. A common thing recently has been for people to hype up the training pics the day after a first team game with their favourite youth team player in it. Oblivious to the fact that the entire u21s and half the u18s train with the first team the day after matchdays so it really means nothing.

Amass trained with the u18s yesterday and will be playing with the u18s today. Not the first team.

arthurka

I heard that one by the way. Very good listen and I am confident that Nick Cox is one of the best people we have. I believe that we succeed more than anyone in the youth area because we focus on taking care of each other in a very human manner instead of pure footballing focus.
Yeah was a great listen and I fully agree with thinking that the academy tries to mould people not only players.

IRELANDUNITED

He absolutely, 100%, definitely, will not.

golden_blunder

Staff

Some of you really need to wind your expectations in

Prodigal7

Anyone that follows the youth with some degree of focus knows that it was too soon for him. We don’t throw 16 year olds into situations that could damage what will be a carefully planned development program. I’m sure there’s a plan for him to get first team appearances eventually. He’s talented enough.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
This kid has far too much pressure and expectation on him. He's 16. He's doing well in the youth team, but he's not even in the u21's let alone ready to play premier league football. Let's cool it a little. Hopefully next season he can get some sub appearances to integrate into the first team before actually being a part of it in 25/26.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Haha, that’s a good one! :)

Quite frankly, I wouldn’t start anyone below the age of 16 for the first team. But starting from 16, if he is good enough, why not? Barcelona gives a lot of minutes to a 16 year old player this year, so it is possible
Yeah… and nothing goes wrong there… not like they’re responsible for ruining two potential greats of their generation and another extremely promising youngster in short order or anything…

Pericles

Yeah… and nothing goes wrong there… not like they’re responsible for ruining two potential greats of their generation and another extremely promising youngster in short order or anything…
Pedri, Gavi, Ansu Fati?

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
What’s the story behind this?
Wreckless handling of very young players leads to demise and opens the possibility of very serious, career altering injuries.

Much respect to the others, but what they did with Pedri is so sad. The next potential all-time great Spanish midfielder who might now not even have a world class career.

Sir Marcus

Wreckless handling of very young players leads to demise and opens the possibility of very serious, career altering injuries.

Much respect to the others, but what they did with Pedri is so sad. The next potential all-time great Spanish midfielder who might now not even have a world class career.
:confused:

What has happened to suggest this?!?

Pericles

:confused:

What has happened to suggest this?!?
He has missed 71 games in the last 2.5 years. If it continues at some point the cumulative effect will add up to altering his trajectory. You can't keep having injuries at such a young age and fulfil your potential.
His injury woes started after he played 73 games in 12 months as an 18-year-old. Placing too much physical stress on young, developing bodies is counter-productive in the long run, even if the player is technically good enough to play.

Reactions: Fortitude

golden_blunder

Staff
He has missed 71 games in the last 2.5 years. If it continues at some point the cumulative effect will add up to altering his trajectory. You can't keep having injuries at such a young age and fulfil your potential.
His injury woes started after he played 73 games in 12 months as an 18-year-old. Placing too much physical stress on young, developing bodies is counter-productive in the long run, even if the player is technically good enough to play.
That’s why I worry about Mainoo, nevermind a 16 year old

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Much agreed mate.

NoPace

A grown-ass-man likely.
Actually no, it was Harry Wilson who's gotta be among the most child-like of Prem footballers.

I don't really see why we couldn't play a kid. It's an injury crisis, he doesn't immediately have to be in the first team or playing all the time after that if he fills in for a month before Malacia or Wan-Bissaka comes back, and he could come off the bench with 30 to go in games we're not ahead in and we need more attacking play there with Lindelof or Amrabat tiring. It's not 80 games a year Pedri/Gavi or nothing.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
That’s why I worry about Mainoo, nevermind a 16 year old
Mainoo will be fine. He missed half the season with injury and he's only playing one game a week. Next season he'll have to be managed a bit more carefully but this one is a free hit for him. Ten Hag has also subbed him when he's looked tired which is important as that's when you get the most injuries.

golden_blunder

Staff
Mainoo will be fine. He missed half the season with injury and he's only playing one game a week. Next season he'll have to be managed a bit more carefully but this one is a free hit for him. Ten Hag has also subbed him when he's looked tired which is important as that's when you get the most injuries.
I’m not worried about this season, he only appeared half way through. But now he’s staked his claim, worry that need season we will overuse him. He can’t play every minute of every match and i hope the fans remember that

golden_blunder

Staff
Actually no, it was Harry Wilson who's gotta be among the most child-like of Prem footballers.

I don't really see why we couldn't play a kid. It's an injury crisis, he doesn't immediately have to be in the first team or playing all the time after that if he fills in for a month before Malacia or Wan-Bissaka comes back, and he could come off the bench with 30 to go in games we're not ahead in and we need more attacking play there with Lindelof or Amrabat tiring. It's not 80 games a year Pedri/Gavi or nothing.
The lad isn’t ready for u23 never mind first team. Jesus