Harry Kane | Bayern Munich player

Rusholme Ruffian

IF Harry Kane really wants a move, and say United are willing to stump up the £100 million, then I believe Levy would be on dangerous ground to stand in his way. If I remember rightly it took a while for him to get over the City move falling through - he looked a broken man for England that summer and seemed to be operating at half pace. If he makes it clear he wants to leave and Levy refuses he could have a disconsolate and demotivated £100 million asset just watching the months tick down till the end of his contract. That's surely not a healthy scenario to be in. He's an exemplary pro and I'm not suggesting he'll deliberately down tools, (he's chasing records for a start) but having seen what he was like in the immediate aftermath of the City debacle I don't think it's a guarantee that he'll mentally be in the right place to automatically carry his form on into next season. Best cash in now you bald fecker!

Abraxas

The notion of a certain figure is a bit vague in any case. It could be more than £50m but you have to remember that if Levy turns down £50m after Kane has confirmed he won’t sign a new contract, then Levy is basically paying £50m plus Kane’s wages to have one more year of his services, during which time he could easily be injured. A business man doesn’t usually make decisions like that.
Sure, but you could say that a businessman (or more to the point a top decision maker for a football club, because that's what is more relevant than his general business acumen) doesn't make a lot of the decisions Levy has done of late. He's not in the greatest form. I also think there's probably a bit more nuance to Levy than this detached, emotionless accountant that only cares about the bottom line as the media present him. That Levy probably does grasp at 50 million. I think he'll be a little more personally invested in this decision and won't just fold to whatever fee is on the table.

I also disagree with the way you view the finances. The wages are not hugely relevant, it's an ongoing cost for services rendered. They'll be paying anyone they sign up to do that job. And as for 50 million, it's expensive for a season but probably isn't an incredible premium on his value as a world class striker. There are other benefits involved. Attracting a manager here and now. Finishing better next season. Retaining a 1% hope he can persuade Harry to be very dumb and sign again.

When it's 80 million those benefits of hanging on are probably less and less easy to entertain for Levy. No doubt about it, we'll have to grasp Harry Kane and be determined about it if we want him this summer, it's not going to be easy or cheap.

Last edited:

croadyman

IF Harry Kane really wants a move, and say United are willing to stump up the £100 million, then I believe Levy would be on dangerous ground to stand in his way. If I remember rightly it took a while for him to get over the City move falling through - he looked a broken man for England that summer and seemed to be operating at half pace. If he makes it clear he wants to leave and Levy refuses he could have a disconsolate and demotivated £100 million asset just watching the months tick down till the end of his contract. That's surely not a healthy scenario to be in. He's an exemplary pro and I'm not suggesting he'll deliberately down tools, (he's chasing records for a start) but having seen what he was like in the immediate aftermath of the City debacle I don't think it's a guarantee that he'll mentally be in the right place to automatically carry his form on into next season. Best cash in now you bald fecker!
Yeah I have zero faith that he has the guts to stand up to Levy and say you can't force me to stay. I want a new challenge and willing to force it if that's what it takes to make that happen.

OrcaFat

Sure, but you could say that a businessman (or more to the point a top decision maker for a football club, because that's what is more relevant than his general business acumen) doesn't make a lot of the decisions Levy has done of late. He's not in the greatest form. I also think there's probably a bit more nuance to Levy than this detached, emotionless accountant that only cares about the bottom line as the media present him. That Levy probably does grasp at 50 million. I think he'll be a little more personally invested in this decision and won't just fold to whatever fee is on the table.

I also disagree with the way you view the finances. The wages are not hugely relevant, it's an ongoing cost for services rendered. They'll be paying anyone they sign up to do that job. And as for 50 million, it's expensive for a season but probably isn't an incredible premium on his value as a world class striker. There are other benefits involved. Attracting a manager here and now. Finishing better next season. Retaining a 1% hope he can persuade Harry to be very dumb and sign again.

When it's 80 million those benefits of hanging on are probably less and less easy to entertain for Levy. No doubt about it, we'll have to grasp Harry Kane and be determined about it if we want him this summer, it's not going to be easy or cheap.
Yeah I said it could be more than £50m - I picked that as a figure where it’s probably hard to make a financial case for turning it down. There are lots of other variables which, taken together, probably raise that bar. Among these is the perceived impact of strengthening a rival which is hard to quantify but may be worth a lot to Levy.

In any case, the figure would certainly be bid up from a nominal threshold of £50m because there would be a few interested parties. £70m, £80m, not many clubs will pay that when there’s a chance of a free transfer in a year.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Yeah I said it could be more than £50m - I picked that as a figure where it’s probably hard to make a financial case for turning it down. There are lots of other variables which, taken together, probably raise that bar. Among these is the perceived impact of strengthening a rival which is hard to quantify but may be worth a lot to Levy.

In any case, the figure would certainly be bid up from a nominal threshold of £50m because there would be a few interested parties. £70m, £80m, not many clubs will pay that when there’s a chance of a free transfer in a year.
Levy does not want to sell him.

Eddy_JukeZ

I also don't think Kane would kick up a major fuss which might be necessary if he wants to move to a Prem team.

Rusholme Ruffian

Levy does not want to sell him.
Obvs I've got no clue what's going on in Kane's head (probably very little given his post match interviews :D ), but if he wants to stay in the Prem, but not with Spurs, then he's surely got to go for it this year hasn't he? City don't need him this year or next, Liverpool just spent huge amounts on Nunez and Gakpo, he can't go to Arsenal or Chelsea, and Newcastle wouldn't be enough of a step up, which only leaves United - and we will be signing at least one striker this season whether it is Kane or not. A move to United, City or Liverpool next year looks highly unlikely, even for free, so I can see this getting messy very quickly. Unless of course he wants to see out his days with Spurs.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Only Kane can make this deal happen. I don't think we will play Levy's game.

He's going to have to put a transfer request in and kick up a fuss to join another PL club I reckon.

Hopefully he tells them to let him come to Utd or he will join Chelsea on a free transfer next summer. They might have to consider it then as they won't want to see that happen.

Realistically though he's going to stay quiet and leave on a free most likely. Shame.

davidmichael

Such a pain in the arse that Osimhen price is so high because means we have to drop down to next tier of strikers like Kolo-Muani/Ramos
Personally I’d bypass Muani, Vlahovic, Hojlund and Ramos etc and go all in for Evan Ferguson if we can’t get Kane or Osimhen seeing as there’s nothing between the next tier of strikers below Kane, Osimhen, Lewandowski and Benzema in my opinion.

It’s not the top tier that we’d all like but Ferguson is potentially a decade long investment, has massive potential, settled in the PL, a United fan and most likely a good £30 million less expensive that Levy and Lewis will want for Kane and £50 million less than Osimhen meaning we’ve more money for other areas.

OrcaFat

He's going to have to put a transfer request in and kick up a fuss to join another PL club I reckon.

Hopefully he tells them to let him come to Utd or he will join Chelsea on a free transfer next summer. They might have to consider it then as they won't want to see that happen.

Realistically though he's going to stay quiet and leave on a free most likely. Shame.
Could be that Levy hates the idea of the contract running down and getting nothing more than anything else in the world. Who knows (or even cares at this point)?

The important thing for us is to sign a good forward. If there’s no positive communication coming back from Spurs or Kane then I think we’ll move on. Pretty sure EtH doesn’t want to be clinging onto a vague possibility come August.

Rolaholic

Wasted season in his prime if he ends up running down his contract, would be a bloody shame

croadyman

Oh yeah I still haven't seen enough evidence this guy is willing to torch bridges in order to make this move happen. Feels very much like his agent brother will be in his ear telling him to wait it out for more options on a free next summer.

Doracle

Wasted season in his prime if he ends up running down his contract, would be a bloody shame
No surprise this. Kane starting to apply the pressure to Levy to sell him to his preferred destination this year.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
In the new FFP era it makes zero sense to turn down 100m for a 30 year old home grown player for what? A seriously outside chance of top 4 - and then what? You still have to replace him next year anyway. You take the money and rebuild. I said he wouldn’t go to City - City tried to bully Levy but he held all the cards. Two years later you’d have to be a moron to turn that money down and Levy isn’t that.

Eddy_JukeZ

In the new FFP era it makes zero sense to turn down 100m for a 30 year old home grown player for what? A seriously outside chance of top 4 - and then what? You still have to replace him next year anyway. You take the money and rebuild. I said he wouldn’t go to City - City tried to bully Levy but he held all the cards. Two years later you’d have to be a moron to turn that money down and Levy isn’t that.
Highly doubt Levy is thinking that way.

He's stubborn and has an ego. He's going to think that a successful season with Spurs turns Kane's head and gets him to stay.

croadyman

He's stubborn and has an ego. He's going to think that a successful season with Spurs turns Kane's head and gets him to stay.
Yeah getting the better of Levy looks impossible

Eddy_JukeZ

Yeah getting the better of Levy looks impossible
This transfer not being a long brutal process depends entirely on Kane kicking up a giant fuss to leave.

And I don't really see him doing that. If he didn't do it before, I doubt he does it now.

I worry we might chase this all summer and then get burned at the end.

Quagmire Maguire

We really shouldn’t be paying 100m for a 30+ year old with only 1 year remaining. Yet again it’s a short term solution. Unless we have Qatar money then who cares the price, get him in!

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.

I think he wants everyone to think that because he’ll want the highest price. He isn’t an idiot though and that would be a very silly attitude to take. Keeping Kane for another year isn’t worth 100m. It’s just total madness. Imagine a club paying a 100m loan fee plus wages to get Harry Kane for a year? That’s effectively what Spurs would be doing. The smart play is you take the money and rebuild. That’s if we’re willing to go to 100m. I’d imagine we may not be because that is a proper crazy price.

Oscar Bonavena

That's exactly my read of it, but who knows how this Levy f**ker thinks. He might very well know he needs to sell him this summer to get any value out of him, but he'll drag it out all summer. Do we have the time, energy and motivation to indulge Levy's usual pantomime act, or do we tell him to get stuffed?!

croadyman

I think he wants everyone to think that because he’ll want the highest price. He isn’t an idiot though and that would be a very silly attitude to take. Keeping Kane for another year isn’t worth 100m. It’s just total madness. Imagine a club paying a 100m loan fee plus wages to get Harry Kane for a year? That’s effectively what Spurs would be doing. The smart play is you take the money and rebuild. That’s if we’re willing to go to 100m. I’d imagine we may not be because that is a proper crazy price.
What do you think is our cutoff price

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Yes but he has to force the move because we know what a nightmare Levy is to deal with. I know you will probably bring up Carrick and Berbatov but they didn't have status of Kane
Figured I should move us in here.

I think players with one year left on their contract are ultimately gonna be gettable. Levy might be a nightmare but he's not reckless. He's pretending he won't sell, we're pretending we have more attractive options, then once the posturing is done (could take rather longer than we'd like, admittedly) I think we could figure out an appropriate price.

Again, I hope I'm right cause the alternatives in that thread are all really undesirable, I think - in many different ways.

croadyman

Figured I should move us in here.

I think players with one year left on their contract are ultimately gonna be gettable. Levy might be a nightmare but he's not reckless. He's pretending he won't sell, we're pretending we have more attractive options, then once the posturing is done (could take rather longer than we'd like, admittedly) I think we could figure out an appropriate price.

Again, I hope I'm right cause the alternatives in that thread are all really undesirable, I think - in many different ways.
There is no doubt in my mind that he has to really force this move,otherwise he will definitely be staying at Spurs this summer

DOTA

There is no doubt in my mind that he has to really force this move,otherwise he will definitely be staying at Spurs this summer
I suspect Levy would drive him to Manchester against his will, if the alternative was losing him for nowt.

croadyman

I suspect Levy would drive him to Manchester against his will, if the alternative was losing him for nowt.
He has to take a leaf out of Bale/Van Dijk's book and go on strike to push this through. Yes he did a similar thing when he wanted to join City two summers ago but when it came to the crunch he couldn't go through with it in the end

DOTA

He has to take a leaf out of Bale/Van Dijk's book and go on strike to push this through. Yes he did a similar thing when he wanted to join City two summers ago but when it came to the crunch he couldn't go through with it in the end
Why do you think Levy would be comfortable losing out on so much money?

croadyman

Why do you think Levy would be comfortable losing out on so much money?
Maybe he will want to prove he can see off Utd for Kane just like he saw off City as well. Having said that they were quoted around £150m but he did have longer left on his contract

NoPace

Kane for Sancho and 40 or 50M would make sense for everyone if Sancho will take a pay cut though not sure why he'd agree to that.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.

He has / is completely wasting his prime anyway.

It’s such a waste of a truly World class player.

It’s incredible that he’s stayed at Spurs into his 30s really.

He belongs at Utd, I’ve always thought so.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I hope we dont go paying stupid money for a 29 yo striker. Players like him seldom last long... RVP gave us 1 good year and that's it for him. I'd rather spunk the same amount of money for an established younger player like Osimhen who can last 1-2 years of transition and is still young enough when we're finally ready to mount a title challenge.

I'd say were still 2-3 years away from challenging. With Kane by the time we're ready he's already 32ish and i dont know if we can use him for 50 games a season

TenonTen

Supports
Neutral
He has / is completely wasting his prime anyway.

It’s such a waste of a truly World class player.

It’s incredible that he’s stayed at Spurs into his 30s really.

He belongs at Utd, I’ve always thought so.
If Ferguson was still a manager he'd have bought Kane around 2016 breaking the bank and spending the Pogba money on him.