Harry Kane | Bayern Munich player

OrcaFat

I don't think you understand how Levy works. It's not about the money for him.
He’s about outperforming the curve. If he can get more than “par” value for him, he will take it and consider it a victory. How much is par value? With a year left, £50m? If so, £60m is a great deal, a victory for Levy. Make a rival pay over the odds. That’s how he works, imo. Losing Kane for nothing would be a missed opportunity to sting his rivals and would annoy him, I think. Who really knows?

croadyman

If we have the money to spend on Kane in the summer we should still avoid him. Kane himself is a great player - but when next season starts he'll be 30, Casemiro will be 30, Varane will be 30, Eriksen will be 31 - do you want to have to replace all them at the same time? Any big money spent on a striker has to go on someone much younger - ideally Osimihen or Leao or Felix. Kane is great, but would be poor squad management and create problems down the line.
Could afford to replace them with rich owners

ChorltonReds

Could afford to replace them with rich owners
Maybe - but you'd still rather major replacements were gradual than in one fell swoop. Like i say Kane is great, but if we can afford him we can afford younger long-term targets.

croadyman

Maybe - but you'd still rather major replacements were gradual than in one fell swoop. Like i say Kane is great, but if we can afford him we can afford younger long-term targets.
I am a big Osimhen fan but on the other hand have always wanted to see Kane in Utd shirt especially with a couple of top class players we have added

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
That is kind of the point. The only direct recent comparators I can think of are Lewa, Benz, CR7 and Ibra. All of them were still world class forwards until 34/35.
None of those guys played in the PL though.

The PL is a completely different beast from other European leagues (especially Italy and Spain) at this point in terms of physical stressors - players have to cover more overall distance, run more sprints, face more athletic opponents, consistently get closed down quicker, and do it all in worse weather.

The track record of PL players in general and attackers in particular after 31 is awful, especially in the last 6-7 years once the majority of sides even in the bottom half of the table began to play a high intensity open pressing game.

Dansk

I'd have him for a couple of years. We really need a dependable striker and the market for them is lean these days. If we could sign him on a two-year deal, I think that'd work out well. No 4-5 year contracts, though. Just long enough to where there might be more long-term options in the market. While we do have quite a few players hovering around 30, Kane isn't terribly injury-prone and he doesn't have the look of a player who will decline early. Could be the thing that we need in order to turn things around.

The big question is the fee. I would never put in £100m+ for him. 50-60 maybe, and I don't much expect Levy to agree to that.

croadyman

I'd have him for a couple of years. We really need a dependable striker and the market for them is lean these days. If we could sign him on a two-year deal, I think that'd work out well. No 4-5 year contracts, though. Just long enough to where there might be more long-term options in the market. While we do have quite a few players hovering around 30, Kane isn't terribly injury-prone and he doesn't have the look of a player who will decline early. Could be the thing that we need in order to turn things around.

The big question is the fee. I would never put in £100m+ for him. 50-60 maybe, and I don't much expect Levy to agree to that.
Like I said we need to offer £60m plus addons

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours

The PL is a completely different beast from other European leagues (especially Italy and Spain) at this point in terms of physical stressors - players have to cover more overall distance, run more sprints, face more athletic opponents, consistently get closed down quicker, and do it all in worse weather.

The track record of PL players in general and attackers in particular after 31 is awful, especially in the last 6-7 years once the majority of sides even in the bottom half of the table began to play a high intensity open pressing game.
Kane was a late bloomer.

croadyman

A late bloomer maybe in terms of his level of play. But he was on loan in the Championship at 18 and played a 3700 minute season for Spurs at age 21.
Yeah he had a fair few loans didn't he at the likes of Orient,Millwall,Norwich and Leicester

Doracle

Is it? Vardy was still able to score 15 in 25 aged 34/35. Defoe was prolific for Sunderland at 34/35. Ibra did well when he came here. Going back a bit in time, Shearer and Sheringham hardly had short careers.

I’d say 34/35 is when I’d expect a top number 9, generally, to start to significantly drop off in the PL. Serie A particularly they could probably go on a couple of years longer.

OrcaFat

Is it? Vardy was still able to score 15 in 25 aged 34/35. Defoe was prolific for Sunderland at 34/35. Ibra did well when he came here. Going back a bit in time, Shearer and Sheringham hardly had short careers.

I’d say 34/35 is when I’d expect a top number 9, generally, to start to significantly drop off in the PL. Serie A particularly they could probably go on a couple of years longer.
I’m not sure about that. Noticeable decline usually begins earlier.

Training methods, diets etc are better these days so players with the right physique and without permanent injury damage can buck the trend.

Players who are established at their clubs often continue into their mid 30s but they usually aren’t near their best any more. They slow down and lose flexibility and this can’t be fully offset by experience. And they can’t play every game. Some exceptional strikers keep putting up decent numbers but it’s still rare and their overall contributions dwindle. A sad thought but inevitable, really.

Bojan Djordjic

Defoe scored 4 league goals for Bournemouth aged 34 and scored precisely 0 goals aged 35 for Bournemouth.

CM

Neither of those players play in the most highly sought after position in world football in an era when there are very few players in that position that are top class. The demand for Kane would be much higher.
What bigger teams than United would possibly be in for Kane this summer? Bayern?

If Kane does end up leaving I think Spurs/Levy will try to usher him abroad, but I honestly think breaking Shearer's goals record is too important for him to seriously consider it. Like it or not, United can offer him better financial rewards too.

The more important variable will be whether Spurs & Levy price him out of a move this summer, in my opinion, but that doesn't come without its own risks.

babablue

All your rivals will strengthen as well though (including Spurs I HOPE), including lets not forget Newcastle who will be spending hundreds of millions every year and in a couple of years will be likely challenging for titles seriously. It's only going to get more difficult to win the league. I can see why he would go to City, I don't see as strong as argument as to why he would go to Utd apart from the fact he would remain in the Premier League if I'm being honest. That doesn't mean I don't think it could happen because it could. I just think that scoffing at Spurs fans for questioning why he would consider Utd AT THE MOMENT is probably unfair because when you look at it objectively they do have a point.
I don't see anything exceptional about rivals strengthening. It happens every season. It doesn't guarantee that the team ahead will still be ahead afterwards. Part of United's strengthening is taking Kane.

And the scoffing is because virtually no players will choose Spurs over Manchester United like in the summer when Spurs fans thought they had the upper hand to signing Eriksen, and still didn't sign despite being a former player and being in London already.

So yeah, even if no trophies are involved, if Kane had a choice of staying at Spurs or moving to United, I expect him to move. At the very least, it would look better on his wikipedia page.

GusHyd

Supports
Southampton
At 60 million Kane would be an amazing signing for United. The fears about him declining with age are understandable but I don’t think he will be effected as much as other other strikers. His game isn’t built upon pace and quick movement, rather on intelligence and timing. That’s something which he should be able to hang onto until his mid 30s when he’s likely to really slow down. Biggest concern would be his history for ankle injuries and if they’d build towards a bigger issue. If he manages to avoid this with players like Rashford, Anthony and I imagine eventually Sancho, he’ll have the young players around him to do the running and stretching of defences. His passing is often over looked and he’d be able to get the best out of the players around him.

croadyman

At 60 million Kane would be an amazing signing for United. The fears about him declining with age are understandable but I don’t think he will be effected as much as other other strikers. His game isn’t built upon pace and quick movement, rather on intelligence and timing. That’s something which he should be able to hang onto until his mid 30s when he’s likely to really slow down. Biggest concern would be his history for ankle injuries and if they’d build towards a bigger issue. If he manages to avoid this with players like Rashford, Anthony and I imagine eventually Sancho, he’ll have the young players around him to do the running and stretching of defences. His passing is often over looked and he’d be able to get the best out of the players around him.
£60m plus £20m addons seems fair

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
The missing piece of the jigsaw, I'd be delighted with him and no one else in the summer tbh

Obviously we're getting new owners though so we'll be getting Mbappe and Bellingham as well obvs

Bwuk

He’d be a massive improvement on Martial anyway.

croadyman

The missing piece of the jigsaw, I'd be delighted with him and no one else in the summer tbh

Obviously we're getting new owners though so we'll be getting Mbappe and Bellingham as well obvs
Could still get De Jong and some CB cover maybe that Min Jae or N'dicka too

arthurka

Don't want an old striker want a new and fresh one. Kane is like the earl grey of drinks.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Even for England with Bellingham, Rice & Mount behind him he does this, it's his style a bit like Rooney where he likes to get involved with deeper play
I don't see the big issue with it. An inform Kane is an excellent passer from deep. Problem is Son has gone massively off the boil and Kuluveski has been injured for last few months so Spurs don't really have anyone to run onto those balls currently.

With Rashford back in the groove you do and Anthony the other side also has plenty of potential so can see the logic and Kane will certainly be interested if you're back in the CL which is looking more likely with every week.

croadyman

Don't want an old striker want a new and fresh one. Kane is like the earl grey of drinks.
I did feel like that initially but unlikely as it is I am warming to the idea of Kane,he wouldn't need time to adapt like others

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal

There are a few exceptions, Vardy the most glaring example (although he had a very unusual career path, not playing professionally really until 24-25).

But the number of once top level PL attackers of the last 10-15 years or so who have basically collapsed by age 32 (if not beforehand) is very large. Auba, Aguero, Rooney, Adebayor, Van Persie, Berbatov, Anelka, Alexis, Hazard, Drogba, Willian, Lukaku, etc. And players like Son, Mahrez, and Sterling seem on the path to joining them.

I'm not saying its impossible for an older forward to have success well into his 30s but overall the track record of recent PL attackers past 31 is really ugly. It's just a young man's game in the PL.

MS4

It's actually a no brainer.

Kane assisting Rashford or vica versa. Kane dropping deep and bringing bruno into play. It would work. Easy as that

eire-red

All your rivals will strengthen as well though (including Spurs I HOPE), including lets not forget Newcastle who will be spending hundreds of millions every year and in a couple of years will be likely challenging for titles seriously. It's only going to get more difficult to win the league. I can see why he would go to City, I don't see as strong as argument as to why he would go to Utd apart from the fact he would remain in the Premier League if I'm being honest. That doesn't mean I don't think it could happen because it could. I just think that scoffing at Spurs fans for questioning why he would consider Utd AT THE MOMENT is probably unfair because when you look at it objectively they do have a point.
I guess with United there's also the sentimental argument. When I think RVP, I think of him as a United legend and almost forget he played for Arsenal. If Kane joined and spearheaded us to the title or a big trophy, he'd be adored at United just as much.

There's also the draw of United that you can't ignore. Look at the players we've signed even when we've been useless for the past decade. Antony, Sancho, Casemiro, Varane, Martinez, Bruno in recent times alone.. plenty others too that I could list. I don't mean this in an offensive way, but Spurs would never be a choice ahead of United for any of them. There's still an unmistakable draw to play for United.

Now whether that makes any difference for Kane, who knows. But he's not going to Arsenal or Chelsea, Liverpool have spent big up top and he won't spend the last few years of his prime competing with Alvarez and Haaland at City. Barca have Lewandowski and Madrid still have eyes for Mbappe. That leaves Bayern and PSG, but I just can't see Kane in France or Germany, even though both guarantee trophies and a good shot at the CL.

I guess it's just a question on how much does he value Shearer's record. Of course, he'll probably still break it playing for Spurs, so you do have a point that there's no clear reason why he'd join United. If he values winning something, then moving abroad to a top team is the clear option: he keeps his Spurs legacy relatively untainted and win something. If he wants the all time PL record, he could very well stay at Spurs. But I wouldn't be one bit surprised to see him join United either, because we still have that draw for top players... the history, the sentiment, something extra.

Put Kane up top at United and I think we could compete for the league with no other signings. Spurs still need, to steal Rangnick's words here, open heart surgery on what's a very average team without Kane, to compete.

croadyman

I guess with United there's also the sentimental argument. When I think RVP, I think of him as a United legend and almost forget he played for Arsenal. If Kane joined and spearheaded us to the title or a big trophy, he'd be adored at United just as much.

There's also the draw of United that you can't ignore. Look at the players we've signed even when we've been useless for the past decade. Antony, Sancho, Casemiro, Varane, Martinez, Bruno in recent times alone.. plenty others too that I could list. I don't mean this in an offensive way, but Spurs would never be a choice ahead of United for any of them. There's still an unmistakable draw to play for United.

Now whether that makes any difference for Kane, who knows. But he's not going to Arsenal or Chelsea, Liverpool have spent big up top and he won't spend the last few years of his prime competing with Alvarez and Haaland at City. Barca have Lewandowski and Madrid still have eyes for Mbappe. That leaves Bayern and PSG, but I just can't see Kane in France or Germany, even though both guarantee trophies and a good shot at the CL.

I guess it's just a question on how much does he value Shearer's record. Of course, he'll probably still break it playing for Spurs, so you do have a point that there's no clear reason why he'd join United. If he values winning something, then moving abroad to a top team is the clear option: he keeps his Spurs legacy relatively untainted and win something. If he wants the all time PL record, he could very well stay at Spurs. But I wouldn't be one bit surprised to see him join United either, because we still have that draw for top players... the history, the sentiment, something extra.

Put Kane up top at United and I think we could compete for the league with no other signings. Spurs still need, to steal Rangnick's words here, open heart surgery on what's a very average team without Kane, to compete.
Would still need a progressive CM very much in the mould of De Jong too,however takes so much pressure off Rashford to score having Kane alongside him.

Last edited:

kps88

Is he much more likely to win anything with you lot? On the basis of the last few years, probably not, or if yes certainly nothing major. That's the point they are making.
This United team with Kane in it would be closer to winning trophies than the current Spurs team. Even more so if you assume new owners come in this year. I get the point that it's not as big a jump as he would have been hoping for but his options within England are very limited.

croadyman

This United team with Kane in it would be closer to winning trophies than the current Spurs team. Even more so if you assume new owners come in this year. I get the point that it's not as big a jump as he would have been hoping for but his options within England are very limited.
Think he would enjoy the jump up of being supplied by Rashford, Bruno, his old mate Eriksen along with proven class in Varane and Casemiro.

Andersons Dietician

How long does he have left on his current contract?

He is not someone I’ve ever really wanted at United as he just isn’t someone I enjoy watching play. But given the current lack of decent strikers coming through getting him in at the right price for a year or two whilst we look for someone might not be the worst idea.

croadyman

How long does he have left on his current contract?

He is not someone I’ve ever really wanted at United as he just isn’t someone I enjoy watching play. But given the current lack of decent strikers coming through getting him in at the right price for a year or two whilst we look for someone might not be the worst idea.
Contract up in 2024 I think