Harry Kane | Bayern Munich player

Doracle

Very exaggerated. According to my quick maths, he missed around 7 games per season on average during his Spurs career which would put him in the same category with pretty much every player, he certainly isn't Phil Jones.
Even that feels exaggerated, if we are looking mainly at league matches. He averages 34 league matches per season for Spurs. As a comparison, Rooney averaged about 31 games a season for us in his first 10 seasons. Kane’s basically insanely injury resistant and reliable.

dove

Even that feels exaggerated, if we are looking mainly at league matches. He averages 34 league matches per season for Spurs. As a comparison, Rooney averaged about 31 games a season for us in his first 10 seasons. Kane’s basically insanely injury resistant and reliable.
Yep, I counted all competitions so league record is even better, crazy how many people here seem to think he is a crock.

phelans shorts

What's more funny to me is how we would not want to sign one of the league's top scorers (maybe even the top scorer) of the last 10 years just because he is meek. Of all the reasons this is surely the most ridiculous one.
It’s one of many, many reasons he’d be a daft signing at this stage.

Doracle

Like most of those reasons, it’s also completely wrong. Kane isn’t a natural leader but he’s definitely not meek. He would instantly command respect in our dressing room and give us control of so many games just with his hold up play and ability to dominate defenders.

DavelinaJolie

I guess I just see Kane as a continuation of the Falcao, Cavani, Ronaldo train. Admittedly not as old, but I just think his rapid decline will come at an earlier age, leaving Utd on the hook and watching younger players sign elsewhere. I just don't find it all that exciting an option for the future as this team grows.

dove

Not as daft as someone like Antony but I guess all depends who our other options are. If I had to choose whether to pay £70m for Kane or £60m for someone like Sesko, to me there is absolutely no doubt who I would rather have. Other one who is mentioned is Osimhen who would cost even more and can we be certain he will be good here? Even Lukaku is a goalscoring machine in Italy. I realise Kane is not an ideal fit for ETH's style but if ETH thinks he can make it work with Kane upfront, we would be daft not to try and sign him, he would guarantee goals.

phelans shorts

Like most of those reasons, it’s also completely wrong. Kane isn’t a natural leader but he’s definitely not meek. He would instantly command respect in our dressing room and give us control of so many games just with his hold up play and ability to dominate defenders.
If you say so.

He wont sign, he’d be a bad fit if he did even. His brother has leaked our name because it pressures Levy. Nothing to it.

Trex

The argument against Kane isn’t quality or price - it’s profile. His pressing, intense sprints in behind, running channels - none of that really stacks up. If ETH wants that from a striker then he isn’t the one. It’s why this shortlist is so bonkers - Kane and Osimhen are totally different profiles. It comes down to what ETH wants - an elite technical goal scorer who is incredible at linking the play or a very good goalscorer who is okay at linking play but is incredible off-the-ball.
Which profile do you think compliments Rashford and Bruno more. With Osimhen Bruno would play like he did with Ronaldo trying to set him up any time he gets the ball, with Kane it would be similar to Martial, Bruno running behind and interplaying.
With Osimhen I don't see a partnership with Rashford, with Kane though it would be Kane-Son type dynamic.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Can't wait till May 2024 when Kane is lifting the PL title in a red shirt :drool::drool::drool:

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Tadic was creating/trying to play in Haller. At United you dont have tadic, you have Rashford. Building a team for ajax & United is different.

If you use inverted forwards then you need a striker dropping deep linking two up and trying to play them through on goal.

If we had creative wider players like Tadic then they would try to play in a striker in on goal. Or cross in for constant headers.

Its not like Kane is shite at either anyway.

We are not Ajax, we are United with a different set of players - so this”ten Hag’s preferred type of striker” thing is bulllshit.

Doracle

If you say so.

He wont sign, he’d be a bad fit if he did even. His brother has leaked our name because it pressures Levy. Nothing to it.
There’s not a chance that he will sign a new contract with Spurs, so why would his brother be putting pressure on Levy (other than to make sure he’s sold this summer)? Our name is being linked with him because it is the obvious move for both parties.

Hulme91

If you say so.

We have Fernandes who loves to run beyond the striker and Rashford on the left who has always played well with Kane for England, how would he be a bad fit? He's literally the perfect striker for our current attack :lol:

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Which profile do you think compliments Rashford and Bruno more. With Osimhen Bruno would play like he did with Ronaldo trying to set him up any time he gets the ball, with Kane it would be similar to Martial, Bruno running behind and interplaying.
With Osimhen I don't see a partnership with Rashford, with Kane though it would be Kane-Son type dynamic.
What? Ronaldo had zero dynamism. Zero intense running in behind. Never ran channels. Never offered an outlet back to goal. Couldn’t occupy centre backs and came deep all the time. Osimhen is insane physically. He’s a constant threat in behind. An absolute workhorse off-the-ball. It would be a dream for Eriksen and Bruno.

Dan_F

It’s irrelevant if we get oil money but I’m not sure we can really afford to sign another 30 year old, or if it’s really the right thing to be doing. I guess Casemiro, Varane etc were all signed for the immediate so we need to make a big push for the title in the next two years.

Bojan Djordjic

No top team should be buying first team players with a view to sell on. You should be buying players that you intend to have for the rest of their top level careers. Doesn't always work out that way of course but it's not the intention when you make the signing.

Glazers fecking us over and their mismanagement is a different story and the main reason we are struggling to do the above. Hopefully they will be gone by the summer window though!
That's a fine viewpoint to have (although I'd still debate it) if you're buying players before their peak and you can renew their contract at an appropriate market value once that initial contract is up. We will be spending lets say 80mn fee plus another 120mn in wages for a guy that could in a worst case scenario give us two good years and in the best case will not be getting renewed as a 35yr old.

People constantly complain about contract bloat at United (and insane contracts handed out to Lingard, DDG, Sanchez etc) but when there's a new signing that could easily turn out to be a real time example of the above (and yes I know he's a much better player *now* than any of them have ever been) any sense for finances goes out the window and it's a case of "I don't care it's not my money they're spending" even when there's obvious repercussions to the the team's financial health and for example our inability to reinforce the team this January as we're competing in four major trophies is on display while Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool are making big money signings to address weaknesses (to varying degrees of competency).

Bebestation

That's a fine viewpoint to have (although I'd still debate it) if you're buying players before their peak and you can renew their contract at an appropriate market value once that initial contract is up. We will be spending lets say 80mn fee plus another 24mn in wages for a guy that could in a worst case scenario give us two good years and in the best case will not be getting renewed as a 35yr old.

People constantly complain about contract bloat at United (and insane contracts handed out to Lingard, DDG, Sanchez etc) but when there's a new signing that could easily turn out to be a real time example of the above (and yes I know he's a much better player *now* than any of them have ever been) any sense for finances goes out the window and it's a case of "I don't care it's not my money they're spending" even when there's obvious repercussions to the the team's financial health and for example our inability to reinforce the team this January as we're competing in four major trophies is on display while Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool are making big money signings to address weaknesses (to varying degrees of competency).
Sancho's contract was the worst&he was 22.

Bert_

There's zero chance we get Kane.

Moving to another PL team completely wrecks his status with Spurs fans. He's only going to do that if there's a huge, guaranteed, upside. Which we can't provide now or in the summer.

The only PL team he would go to is City and obviously they don't need him anymore.
Why would it wreck his status with Spurs fans? Same kind of wreckage Sheringham got when he moved here?

He isn't leaving the PL and he isn't going to waste his final years at Spurs. City don't need him as you say so where does that leave him?

Bebestation

What? Ronaldo had zero dynamism. Zero intense running in behind. Never ran channels. Never offered an outlet back to goal. Couldn’t occupy centre backs and came deep all the time. Osimhen is insane physically. He’s a constant threat in behind. An absolute workhorse off-the-ball. It would be a dream for Eriksen and Bruno.
Sounds like most of rashford ability as a striker minus heading. Osimhens back to goal is nothing on kane.

Bert_

That's a fine viewpoint to have (although I'd still debate it) if you're buying players before their peak and you can renew their contract at an appropriate market value once that initial contract is up. We will be spending lets say 80mn fee plus another 120mn in wages for a guy that could in a worst case scenario give us two good years and in the best case will not be getting renewed as a 35yr old.

We won't be spending that much if we go in for him. Also you need to offset the benefits of the signing. If he wins us trophies then that elevates our status back to where it was. Along with that comes increased revenues etc.

Plus being in the mix for trophies makes us a far more attractive proposition for future signings, meaning we don't need to bribe them with huge wages and bonuses to come here as we have been doing in recent years!

Add in the marketing potential of having one of the best strikers around (an English one at that which is a goldmine).

Adam_S

Not sure about this one. Would we be getting a Van Persie or a Falcao?

Bojan Djordjic

This is exactly backwards - Kane has a reputation much closer to Ronaldo's than Osimhen does so Bruno and the rest of the team are much more likely to be spamming passes into Kane to the detriment of the team than they would to Osimhen. Also, Osimhen leads the line whereas Kane drops deep into the areas that are usually occupied by Bruno. Osimhen on the other hand plays on the last line and drags defenders towards goal creating space in the pockets behind (we saw the positive effect having a player like this has when Weghorst did this for United's goal against Palace in the week). This is the reason Ten Hag wanted Weghorst. He doesn't like his strikers too involved in build up. Osimhen is miles better than Weghorst though.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Sounds like most of rashford ability as a striker minus heading. Osimhens back to goal is nothing on kane.
He’s miles ahead of Rashford back to goal, physically and as a number 9 what with him actually being a number 9. And Kane’s intensity and dynamism off-the-ball is nothing on Osimhen. That’s the whole point - what profile do we want. Weirdly enough there is no Osimhen with Harry Kane on-the-ball ability. I’m struggling with the argument that the best thing for Bruno is a Harry Kane type who comes towards the ball constricting his space - rather than an intense runner who occupies centre backs and opens up space. Whether we should be doing the best for Bruno is an entirely different argument though.

Bojan Djordjic

We won't be spending that much if we go in for him. Also you need to offset the benefits of the signing. If he wins us trophies then that elevates our status back to where it was. Along with that comes increased revenues etc.

Plus being in the mix for trophies makes us a far more attractive proposition for future signings, meaning we don't need to bribe them with huge wages and bonuses to come here as we have been doing in recent years!

Add in the marketing potential of having one of the best strikers around (an English one at that which is a goldmine).
Wait how much do you think he's going to cost. Levy will just refuse to sell at anything around the 50mn mark and if you think Kane is going to take a 200k/week contract for the privilege of becoming coca cola cup champions when he's been underpaid his entire career and this is his last chance for a payday that reflects his career output you're off your rocker.

Bojan Djordjic

Sancho's contract was the worst&he was 22.
That's the entire point. Sancho can be sold back to Dortmund for 40mn if it doesn't work out. Who's going to buy 33 yr old HK who has just flopped for United and is on 400k a week and has three years left on his contract.

Doracle

Not sure about this one. Would we be getting a Van Persie or a Falcao?
Unless Kane suffers a career threatening injury this year, he’s a player who is a level up from RVP, without the consistent injury problems RVP sadly had throughout his career.

Bert_

Wait how much do you think he's going to cost. Levy will just refuse to sell at anything around the 50mn mark and if you think Kane is going to take a 200k/week contract for the privilege of becoming coca cola cup champions when he's been underpaid his entire career and this is his last chance for a payday that reflects his career output you're off your rocker.
Last year of his contract. It's now or never for Levy to cash in. He'll go for ~50m towards the end of the summer window.

jamesjimmybyrondean

That's the entire point. Sancho can be sold back to Dortmund for 40mn if it doesn't work out. Who's going to buy 33 yr old HK who has just flopped for United and is on 400k a week and has three years left on his contract.
How about getting Osimhen for 150m plus on 200k contract and he flops here

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Why would Harry Kane still have 3 years left on his deal at 33? If he comes here I’d say he gets a 3 year deal + 1 which the club can activate.

Strelok

Other one who is mentioned is Osimhen who would cost even more and can we be certain he will be good here? Even Lukaku is a goalscoring machine in Italy.
Same here. I'm not against signing Osimhen however the records of top Serie A strikers doing in other leagues in the recent years are not really promising. Immobile was a flop at Dortmund. Martinez looked like crap in the WC. Lukaku is well, Lukaku.

Bebestation

He’s miles ahead of Rashford back to goal, physically and as a number 9 what with him actually being a number 9. And Kane’s intensity and dynamism off-the-ball is nothing on Osimhen. That’s the whole point - what profile do we want. Weirdly enough there is no Osimhen with Harry Kane on-the-ball ability. I’m struggling with the argument that the best thing for Bruno is a Harry Kane type who comes towards the ball constricting his space - rather than an intense runner who occupies centre backs and opens up space. Whether we should be doing the best for Bruno is an entirely different argument though.
But Kane’s miles ahead of Osimhen with his back to goal and linking up play and passing.

Kane lacks intensity but it’s not like he wouldn’t try either - but why I think this is not an issue is if he doesn’t press then Bruno can go further than him to press whilst Kane drops deeper and swaps position.

This then works both ways - Bruno makes attacking runs by swapping positions with Kane as Kane drops, or likewise presses as Kane drops deep to help defend. I don’t think he is a lazy player anyway and would press just as much or more than Martial even though it won’t be the level of Osimhen.

Eriksen has the ability to play in Rashford, Kane, Bruno and Anthony or any of the fullbacks.

Bruno has the ability to play in Kane, Rashford and Anthony.

Kane has the ability to play Rashford, Anthony or Bruno as he drops deeper.

Anthony can play in Kane, Bruno of Rashford with his left leg crosses.

What Is Osimhen going to do? Just make in runs behind and score headers from the crosses of our fullbacks which Kane would do anyway?

If Ten Hag wanted Osimhen then I wouldn’t be sad that we got him - but Kane makes sense in a lot of ways, from tactics, how he links with players like Rashford, how martial and woghiurst has played already (not like Osimhen) aka an upgrade on them, passing ability, heading ability, PL experience, left footed and right footed shots, cheaper than Osimhen, similar age range to Bruno, Eriksen, Casemiro, De Gea, Varane & players in their prime like Shaw who can’t just wait for Osimhen to adapt over the next 2-3 years to the PL because by that time these players will need to be replaced anyway. We are also making a team weaker in our own league whilst having a more experienced team than arguably both Arsenal and City which has shown why we have been really already close to a title challenge this year except for our forward line which is exceptionally young and missing a top quality striker.

That’s where Harry Kane fits.

Last edited:

Bebestation

Sancho will have to take a pay cut to go back to Dortmund. They would never buy him with that wage.

Idxomer

Not as daft as someone like Antony but I guess all depends who our other options are. If I had to choose whether to pay £70m for Kane or £60m for someone like Sesko, to me there is absolutely no doubt who I would rather have. Other one who is mentioned is Osimhen who would cost even more and can we be certain he will be good here? Even Lukaku is a goalscoring machine in Italy. I realise Kane is not an ideal fit for ETH's style but if ETH thinks he can make it work with Kane upfront, we would be daft not to try and sign him, he would guarantee goals.
He isn't, his record in the PL and Serie A isn't actually that different.

EtH

Yes I am worried about him adjusting to the Premier League as well.

CM

I really don't think there would be much difference in overall package to bring Kane or Osimhen here. You'd have to give Napoli well north of £100m to convince them to sell, and a player who is signed for that amount of money knows exactly how much the club value him. No chance he'd sign for less than £250k per week with that being the case. Longer contract too as he's the younger player.

If you're talking about resale in the eventuality either of them flop, you'd get more back on the transfer fee for Osimhen but Kane won't cost as much on transfer fee in the first instance and you're going to have difficulty making concessions on the wages either way. I don't think it's actually that important.

Bojan Djordjic

Yes I am worried about him adjusting to the Premier League as well.
Have you really watched him play? The guys a beast and works his socks off - he's not some weak tippy tappy merchant that couldn't handle the pace. He brutalises defences to get an inch of an advantage. Very suited to the PL imho.