Harry Kane MBE | Performances

kaku06

The idea that Kane comes to us, under Ten Hag, surrounded by the likes of Casemiro, Bruno and Rashford, and doesn’t perform is preposterous.

Kane has never been quick. He’s got at least four seasons of 30 goals a season in him and then some more.
You speak my mind man. Exactly what I think of this transfer.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Really bad examples. Sanchez signing for money under Mourinho and Hazard, I don’t even know why you brought him up given his unprofessionalism. How they are compared to Kane? Who is as hungry as anyone and is as professional as they come and would be playing under ten hag. The best examples you can cite are RVP and more precisely Sheringham.

To your second point, you do realise if we don’t sign a proven striker then in the next 2 years some our best players peak would be gone. Casemiro, Bruno, Varane, Eriksen given their age all would be wasted without a top top striker you know.
Wasn’t Sanchez always considered a good professional up until his move to United? What about Mane struggling at Bayern? My point isn’t to say that this will happen with Kane. He’s moving within the PL and should naturally carry on his Spurs form. But stanger things have happened in football. Spurs is a fairly big club but it’s not even remotely close to the level of pressure and expectation as Manchester United. That can cause many good players to wither or fail to adapt. I’m just providing the flip side.

On RVP we did get him for a very reasonable fee as well not the obscene figure Spurs will want for a 29 year old Kane when our team has other issues and a much bigger gap to bridge than it did when SAF was here. And he too declined rapidly from 29 to 30/31 without the same league so theres no rule that elite strikers can’t fall off.

The point about others being in their prime is a very fair one. I still feel that regardless it will take us a few years to get where we want to.

Having said all of the above I’m not against us signing Kane - he’s a fine CF. But I am wary of it turning sour due to various factors.

El Jefe

So you didn’t trust Van persie either. Don’t say you did because he was 29 not 30 or he won the fa cup in 2005 in his first year as a 21yr old. He didn’t win anything for 8 years.
The biggest difference between them is RVP was at his absolute peak while I don't think Kane is. Kane is still a top player but not as much of a sure bet as RVP.

Also to be fair to RVP, he seriously battled with injuries and was never actually the main star for Arsenal until his last two seasons, unlike Kane who's be top dog at Spurs for 8 seasons.

It might seem unfair but its really not normal to be that level of star and have no trophy. Most other top players who weren't in the best teams in their league, still managed to win something. There's also the country option and Son managed to do this with South Korea.

I don't think it should be ignored that Kane plays a big part in Spurs' bottling and is definitely a question mark around him.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Criticizing Kane for not winning a trophy seems rather silly. If he was playing for City instead of Aguero for example, they would have won the same amount of titles. He's never been on a team that consistently challenges for trophies year in and year out.

There's other things to critique than that.
I think you can critique it though. Lesser clubs/clubs having worse seasons than Spurs have won trophies in the time that Kane has been at Spurs and everytime they’ve been in a final he has flopped (for England too).

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Not necessarily true, Lukaku is a good example of that. You also don't need pace to stretch the play, you just have to be a willing runner off the ball. RVN was great at stretching defences and was hardly pacey.

We already have Bruno who is one of the best in Europe at finding players who make runs from wide. We need someone to actually occupy defenders in and around the box.
Right so if you're talking about stretching players in that sense, Kane brings the elite level to the game.

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
This extremely injury prone player has played the second most minutes in the top 5 leagues this season, with 3985 minutes.

No prize for guessing who's no 1.

red.knight

In an era where we tend to measure the success of a player's career based on the number of trophies they've won or which big clubs they've played for etc. for Harry Kane to score at the rate that he has done both at domestic and international level is nothing short of stunning. Kane is not just a goal scorer but also a player with great vision and passing ability. I know the majority of football fans will say he's long-overdue a move to either Man City or United, and it'll probably be his last chance to change clubs before he turns 30.

But a small part of me still hopes that he puts the 'no trophies' label to one side and goes down the rare one-club-career route, and in turn, eventually break Alan Shearer's PL goals record which looks more inevitable with each passing season. I would love it if he did this while playing for Spurs. The fact that Kane has played on some of the biggest of stages, the CL final, the Euros final, winning the World Cup 2018 Golden Boot, breaking his own club's all-time goalscoring record etc; those career highs seem to have been harshly forgotten about and probably deserve much more credit. For me, it makes up a lot for the zero-trophies bullshit. Not a lot of footballers can say they've achieved what he's achieved or played in some of the same big games that he's played. Most players in the world would die for the career that Harry Kane has had. I certainly would happily settle for it.

A moment to savour. Well done Harry Kane you can now go on and put a lot of daylight between your record and the rest.

Reactions: Invictus

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
They do indeed, I just used Forest as an example to his ridiculous statement that since Spurs where successful years ago it should be easy to get a trophy.

Imagine a player scoring 200+ goals in the PL and his team didn’t win anything and you use that as a stick to beat him with but it’s the opposite.

I agree when people question his ambition but having 0 trophies is nothing to do with him it’s the club he is at
It's not ridiculous. He never scores in big games (for Spurs OR England) where trophies are at stake. And Spurs are a club in London with a much bigger stadium, financial outlay, fanbase and history than Nottingham Forest, so you trying to draw an equivalency there is in fact what is ridiculous.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
I just cant see Osimhen fitting well with our forwards. We aren't great at getting the ball into the box via crosses, and Rashford and Antony are both more likely to cut into the middle and go for goal as opposed to creating chances. Bruno would love him though.
Osimhen seems more like the kind of striker ETH typically likes. He is going to remake this team much more.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
Don’t be a wally. He’s knocked in over 200 goals for a Spurs side that, as you say, don’t win trophies. He’s brilliant. About as sure a thing as you’ll ever find.
Not clutch, not a winner. I'm not being anything. Take the MBE specs off and open your eyes.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Not clutch, not a winner. I'm not being anything. Take the MBE specs off and open your eyes.
Your argument is ridiculous which is why people are dismissing you. You are holding the fact he plays for a certain team against him and down playing his record which is incredible DESPITE the fact he plays for that team. Which makes his record all the more impressive.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
So you didn’t trust Van persie either. Don’t say you did because he was 29 not 30 or he won the fa cup in 2005 in his first year as a 21yr old. He didn’t win anything for 8 years.
The fact that you are adding caveats shows you are wrong. He also won in Holland. It is very very hard in the modern era to be at a big club (which virtually all top players are nowadays) and get to that age and have absolutely nothing to show for it team trophy wise.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
Your argument is ridiculous which is why people are dismissing you. You are holding the fact he plays for a certain team against him and down playing his record which is incredible DESPITE the fact he plays for that team. Which makes his record all the more impressive.
It's not ridiculous at all. And many other people feel the same about him.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Kane is amazing, but are these records even impressive anymore? Loads of these goals are scored in pointless friendlies and qualifiers/nations league/friendlies against smaller countries that mean nothing. I don't want to take anything out of his record, since it's the same with may other players that are setting records on international stage, but it's not that impressive tbf.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
Criticizing Kane for not winning a trophy seems rather silly. If he was playing for City instead of Aguero for example, they would have won the same amount of titles. He's never been on a team that consistently challenges for trophies year in and year out.

There's other things to critique than that.
3 goals in 13 finals/seni-finals. You can critique that.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
Kane is amazing, but are these records even impressive anymore? Loads of these goals are scored in pointless friendlies and qualifiers/nations league/friendlies against smaller countries that mean nothing. I don't want to take anything out of his record, since it's the same with may other players that are setting records on international stage, but it's not that impressive tbf.
I think the international game has changed to such a degree (in the sense that you describe) that every single nation's record scorer is going to be someone that is playing today, or who retired very recently. Greatly expanded volume of qualifying matches against a lot of poor teams. Also, these matches fit into the 'competitive' category when many of them are anything but.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
Strange take.
You can talk about his amtition or lack of it but as I said the fact he stayed at Spurs doesnt make him a worse player.
Again. He plays for Spurs AND England. I've seen him play in a number of big finals and semis for both. He rarely delivers in those massive, gotta have it spots. This is not an opinion that is unique to me, much as his defenders would like to claim that it is.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Uh huh. :houllier: Kane has beaten the English record by playing less games than the next top scorer Rooney - and it's a lot less games (120 vs 81). Even Bobby Charlton played 106 times and scored 49 goals. If Kane plays for another 40 games to match what Rooney played in his career it's likely he will have obliterated Rooney's record. Anybody trying to suggest this is not impressive is either an idiot or has such an agenda against Kane that it's embarrassing.

Last edited:

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
Uh huh. :houllier: Kane has beaten the English record by playing less games than the next top scorer Rooney - and it's a lot less games (120 vs 81). Even Bobby Charlton played 106 times and scored 49 goals. If Kane plays for another 40 games to match what Rooney played in his career it's likely he will have obliterated Rooney's record. Anybody trying to suggest this is not impressive is either an idiot or has such an agenda against Kane that it's embarrassing.
Glaston would have loved this. (Or are you Glaston? Be honest now)

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
I think if some balance is to be interjected within this debate, it's probably not correct to say it's "all" about the team. Harry Kane is after all part of that team, and like any star player, number 9, top earner - you're expected to raise your head above the parapet in the critical junctures more than the average squad player. He hasn't quite done that for Spurs if we are to consider his performances when Spurs have given themselves golden chances to win something. Once you get to a one off game, or a semi final, the chances are not the same as they were at the competition start point and that's when you want big players to produce match defining moments.

But it is true to say Spurs don't offer the best opportunities in world football and on the whole that does mean that each year the chances of him getting his hands on silverware are significantly lower than players that are a fraction of his level that are mainly squad players at the likes of City.
Totally fair in what you are saying here. Obviously Spurs are not City and his chances are lower with Tottenham than they would be with oil money. But they're not Bournemouth either. Spurs (and England) have been close several times and they've looked to him (as you do with the talisman of the team) and he hasn't delivered.

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
Is anything I said there wrong?
No.
I wasn't having a go. I was just genuinely missing Glaston. He would have loved Kanes performance last night. I also thought he was magnificent.

I actually think Kane should stay at Spurs. Partly because its very rare to see loyalty these days and its a much underrated virtue. I also think a move could very well spoil an exemplary career.

PS. Greaves' career is comparable.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
No.
I wasn't having a go. I was just genuinely missing Glaston. He would have loved Kanes performance last night. I also thought he was magnificent.

I actually think Kane should stay at Spurs. Partly because its very rare to see loyalty these days and its a much underrated virtue. I also think a move could very well spoil an exemplary career.

PS. Greaves' career is comparable.
I hope he does stay for sure. No idea if he will though, looking unlikely.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
Really bad examples. Sanchez signing for money under Mourinho and Hazard, I don’t even know why you brought him up given his unprofessionalism. How they are compared to Kane? Who is as hungry as anyone and is as professional as they come and would be playing under ten hag. The best examples you can cite are RVP and more precisely Sheringham.

To your second point, you do realise if we don’t sign a proven striker then in the next 2 years some our best players peak would be gone. Casemiro, Bruno, Varane, Eriksen given their age all would be wasted without a top top striker you know.
Not really buying your dismissal of Sanchez and Hazard here TBH

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
Well my Dad did see them play and he's still around he was 86 the other day, as a teenager he used to train with Bert Trautmann, not really sure why though as he wasn't much good at football, cricket was his sport!
Happy birthday to your Dad, here's to many more years.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
I would have included Stan but he did win something

You could akso add Matt Le Tissier though I guess Southampton might be a stretch, but they have won the FA Cup in my lifetime :mad:
If Harry Kane had spent his entire career at Southampton racking up goals I might question his ambition but I wouldn't question his ability to inspire his team to win things. It's the way people are treating Spurs as if they are in fact Southampton that is funny to me. Not to mention completely ignoring the fact that he's had chances with England as well.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Judging players and their mentalities on team trophies :lol:

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Not to mention completely ignoring the fact that he's had chances with England as well.
Yeah, football powerhouse. When was the last time they won anything?

At least they reached semi finals, finals in this generation, which probably didn't happen after 1966 (except maybe one finals in Euro some 30 years ago).

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Or aware that only one of those players spent his whole England career in the #9 taking all penalties on top?

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Number of games played in his last 8 seasons for Spurs (not counting current one):
14/15 : 34
15/16 : 38
16/17 : 30
17/18 : 37
18/19 : 28
19/20 : 29
20/21 : 35
21/22 : 37

So that's an average of 33 matches per season and he can easily play 33 this season. He has 28 so far. Not bad, seems to be always available. Imagine him playing 30 matches instead of Weghorst.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
Yeah, football powerhouse. When was the last time they won anything?

At least they reached semi finals, finals in this generation, which probably didn't happen after 1966 (except maybe one finals in Euro some 30 years ago).
Ok so it's always the team or the club and not him failing to show up when the team looks to him in big spots? Got it.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
Judging players and their mentalities on team trophies :lol:
That's what happens in sport. Even in team sports. It's why in the eyes of many Brady is better than Rodgers, Jordan is better than Lebron etc. etc.
The 'bu-but what about the team?!?!' argument just doesn't stand up to posterity, even though it appears logical at the time.