Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kostov

Lindelof is clearly covering in case Zaha gets some space for a shot on his right. We did this on multiple occasions on Zaha. It was obviously a tactic. I can't believe you missed this and still felt the need to comment with your brilliant "insight".
Not as brilliant as your insight it seems. If you think from that last photo Lindelof was covering shit, other than McT maybe on that occasion, than you either need to pay more attention or go visit the osteopathic. As evident, because the shot clearly got past the RB and Lindelof who was "covering" the right side (did he need to be that close to AWB to cover for the right side) was basically of no use.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I don't understand why everything is so micro analyzed. fecking hell, Bruno lost possession and they countered, defenders won't be in perfect positions. And Zaha just smashed the ball across which only he knows whether it was a shot or cross. I don't know why people are so desperate to tag every chance as a mistake on defenders.

Ronaldo's Mum Eh?

Ronaldo is shite
80 million for this guy was highway robbery, let's face it.

Very static in defense - Zaha turned him over with ease - and not incisive on dead ball situations.

Could have scored a brace if his head was not shaped like an anvil.
Talk about a rip off. We're ridiculously good at overpaying for players. Barely worth half the fee.
For the amount we paid, he is so average. He's just not a great defender, period. He was responsible for the disallowed goal had that been ruled on.

We're now in a position where we have to splash out on another world class CB to compensate for his weaknesses. Don't worry though, he's a leader!

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
I thought the defence was good last night, they kept a clean sheet with one player playing his first game in three years for the club! I thought de Gea had a good game too. We have needed that back four to do us a solid and keep a team out for us and they did exactly that. Only disappointment with Maguire last night is that he should have scored one or two.

Icemav

I thought the defence was good last night, they kept a clean sheet with one player playing his first game in three years for the club! I thought de Gea had a good game too. We have needed that back four to do us a solid and keep a team out for us and they did exactly that. Only disappointment with Maguire last night is that he should have scored one or two.
Mate we were very lucky to keep a clean sheet against a Palace side in woeful goalscoring form. Lindelof was getting twisted apart by Zaha all game and Mcguire was quite frankly an accident waiting to happen. V clumsy. Our uncertainty at the back gave Palace a lot of confidence and we were more than fortunate to not have a goal and a pen against us. De Gea had to work pretty hard last night especially as for most of the match they had more shots than us, at least unti Matic came on.

Edit: I also dislike De Gea's passivity, Schmeichal would have been ripping heads off last night whereas De Gea looks scared to get angry.

sugar_kane

Being done by Zaha is one thing but being held off by Ayew in the box for what seemed like an eternity is ridiculous. So he's not great on the cover, he's slow on the turn, he's not particularly dominant physically and yet he's supposed to be our captain and leader? Why? Just because he heads balls out of the box?
It's a shame he's quite good at doing that in the opposition's box as well

8thWonder

For the amount we paid, he is so average. He's just not a great defender, period. He was responsible for the disallowed goal had that been ruled on.

We're now in a position where we have to splash out on another world class CB to compensate for his weaknesses. Don't worry though, he's a leader!
Disagree, I don''t see it... Bruno loses the ball, Wan Bissaka and Lindelof go out to meet Zaha who gets a cross in and TFM isn't at the back post, but lets blame Maguire?!?!

Look at our own history, Bruce and Pallister, Stam and Johnson, Rio and Vidic... You need two to Tango and while I have to say I don't quite get the Lindelof hate in here either, I think you possibly need two top class/world class centre backs to be highly successful IMO so I agree we might need to go shopping again but it wouldn't be because Maguire isn't up to it, it would be because we want to keep getting better.

I think he's good in the air, a good defender, good with the ball at his feet and a good leader, there aren't very many defenders who have that package at all. That's why he cost so much because he ticks all the boxes IMO. Look how far we have come defensively, playing a more expansive game this year.

I think he's a class act tbh and gets far too much stick.

simmee

Not as brilliant as your insight it seems. If you think from that last photo Lindelof was covering shit, other than McT maybe on that occasion, than you either need to pay more attention or go visit the osteopathic. As evident, because the shot clearly got past the RB and Lindelof who was "covering" the right side (did he need to be that close to AWB to cover for the right side) was basically of no use.
Of course he wasn't of any use since Zaha cut to the left on that occasion. He's covering if Zaha cuts inside on his stronger foot, as other defenders did as well on numerous occasions (since it obviously was a tactic in this game). How is Lindelof responsible for McT's positioning?

Kostov

Of course he wasn't of any use since Zaha cut to the left on that occasion. He's covering if Zaha cuts inside on his stronger foot, as other defenders did as well on numerous occasions (since it obviously was a tactic in this game). How is Lindelof responsible for McT's positioning?
Lindelof is responsible for his own, and if he is covering the right he doesn't need to be that close to AWB in the first place, as you admitted the most obvious bit of play from Zaha rendered him useless on that same occasion. You will also forgive us mare mortals for missing this "obvious" tactic from Lindelof since on several occasions he was all over the place.

SATA

He is a lot of things, like slow and cumbersome. But he’s a warrior and leads like one on the pitch. The rest of our backline is too passive including our goalkeeper

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Blaming Maguire for not covering the back post where TFM should have been :lol: I've seen it all now ffs.

This thread is getting just as bad as Pogbas.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I think he will be fine. Most of the defending he is going to do are in the air and in physical duels with forwards. I'm confident the incident with Zaha wouldn't have happened if he wasn't already on a booking. I was expecting De Gea to cover there too.
He'll be playing against the most tricky and technical forwards in Europe with much better feet, movement and smarts than Zaha, who will convert on what are near misses for players like Zaha.

Physical tussles and scrambling in the air isn't going to make up much of his time in the knockout stage of the competition.

Think it's a massive concern due to the amount of times he gets rolled even in the lower levels of the PL.

roonster09

Scout
Blaming Maguire for not covering the back post where TFM should have been :lol: I've seen it all now ffs.

This thread is getting just as bad as Pogbas.
First it was blaming Maguire for not winning header when he was positioned somewhere else, now it's his mistake that he didn't cover the back post. I mean people will make up anything just to have a go at Maguire now.

roonster09

Scout
He'll be playing against the most tricky and technical forwards in Europe with much better feet, movement and smarts than Zaha, who will convert on what are near misses for players like Zaha.

Physical tussles and scrambling in the air isn't going to make up much of his time in the knockout stage of the competition.

Think it's a massive concern due to the amount of times he gets rolled even in the lower levels of the PL.
He played against technical forwards against Liverpool, City, Chelsea and few other teams, we did alright.

Not saying he is elite CB but he has faced some good players and did well.

romufc

First it was blaming Maguire for not winning header when he was positioned somewhere else, now it's his mistake that he didn't cover the back post. I mean people will make up anything just to have a go at Maguire now.
Its £80m, we should get a player that can read the opponents mind, so he can move like the flash and position himself where the ball is going.

roonster09

Scout
Its £80m, we should get a player that can read the opponents mind, so he can move like the flash and position himself where the ball is going.
I'm still disappointed that we didnt sign CB with Superman+Spiderman qualities. fecking hell for 80 million that's minimum requirement.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Yep, seems to be the same stupid arguements every match recently.

By all means slag him off for the mistake against Bournemouth but he hardly put a foot wrong last night.

romufc

I'm still disappointed that we didnt sign CB with Superman+Spiderman qualities. fecking hell for 80 million that's minimum requirement.
I have not seen many clubs with fans having so many agendas against their own players. I am not talking about criticising performances. When they have good games we applaud them, same way if they have a bad game we criticise them, fair enough.

But to a point where fans are nitpicking faults in a win? Before it was every goal was Maguire / Lindelof fault. Now, even the ones that are offside are his fault?

roonster09

Scout
I have not seen many clubs with fans having so many agendas against their own players. I am not talking about criticising performances. When they have good games we applaud them, same way if they have a bad game we criticise them, fair enough.

But to a point where fans are nitpicking faults in a win? Before it was every goal was Maguire / Lindelof fault. Now, even the ones that are offside are his fault?
That's very hard for few and very sensible too.

roonster09

Scout

By all means slag him off for the mistake against Bournemouth but he hardly put a foot wrong last night.
Yeah, he was poor against Spurs for that goal, poor against Bournemouth for the goal, he even missed clearance with miskick against palace, instead of that people blame him for some weird reasons.

romufc

No one is saying he doesn't make mistakes and when he does, question him rightly so. Not when he had a solid game.

On the top of my head, the sliding challenge on Zaha when he was going clean through, the blocked shots, there was even one which was laced towards goal and he was there like a rock.

8thWonder

Particularly noticeable at the moment with Rashford and Martial. Both have been criticised by fans over the years and people have obviously dug in, picked a side to who is better out of the two and now when they're both in great form, you get little niggly quotes dismissing the other still...

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
He played against technical forwards against Liverpool, City, Chelsea and few other teams, we did alright.

Not saying he is elite CB but he has faced some good players and did well.
The only team from that bunch who are par for what he'll get in Europe, targeting him specifically, is City as Aguero does his work through the central area.

It's said Lindelof is the weak link between the two, but Maguire's faults are going to be targeted directly in the CL. 1on1 the guy does not instill any confidence for me.

He shouldn't be getting rolled by anyone once he has touch contact given his supposed weight and strength advantage, but he's getting done with frequency now.

He'll never be elite, but I question whether he's good enough to partner an elite CB.

romufc

Particularly noticeable at the moment with Rashford and Martial. Both have been criticised by fans over the years and people have obviously dug in, picked a side to who is better out of the two and now when they're both in great form, you get little niggly quotes dismissing the other still...
Yep, we need a new striker, Martial isnt good enough lets sign a proper no.9

Rashford has started slow after lock down, he should be benched, move Martial to left start Ighalo. If we sign Sancho, Rashford should be benched.

Annoyingly it is all over the pitch, a few bad games and we want the player gone.

Shaw, AWB, Lindelof, Maguire, DDG.

This season was a transitional season, young players will always be inconsistent.

So many of our players are young, inexperienced and not been part of a team playing week in week out.
Ole has really done a job on them by putting the faith in them. Granted, some haven't come off, like Lingard, Perreira and maybe even Dalot.

This group will improve and get consistent, we as fans should stick by the players.

Sylar

Regarding Lindelof's positioning I'm sure it was a tactic to double team on Zaha. You could see it at other times when he was 1on1 vs Lindelof in the box and Maguire would get close like that as well. Just looks like TFM is out of position. Sure in this context Maguire could move closer to Ayew but then we would have a big open area for them to run in to in case Pogba, for example, loses his man. (Credit to a good ball by Zaha as well, perfectly placed with speed)
Yeah exactly. I think on snapshots, you can easily criticise a lot of things. Games are not like this as we know. Mistakes happen, or the opposition just produces quality. If this was happening many times per game it would be more of a worry.

I think Maguire had a good game overall. It was a bit disappointing he didnt hit the target from our corner (though if you analyse it the defender did well to be close to him as well).

Maybe I would say that however as i'm clearly in the minority here and think he's been very good on the whole for us this year.
I think so too. I think his price (which is not his fault) has clouded a few judments. I think having turned 27 this year, and being his first year at a top club, hes overall done well. I think he will grow in to the captaincy role, and his partnerships will get better.

mu4c_20le

Pogba is tracking the other runner. At this frame, and with TFM badly out of position, Maguire HAS TO COVER AYEW. He can't let him ghost into space, he's got to cover him.
Sorry for the late reply, got held up by something. I don't think Maguire is aware of TFM being badly out of position, he doesn't have eyes on the back of his head and he is focused on the play. In that situation, I think he just has to trust the leftback. I thought his position was fine because he was ready to cut off the pass. The only reason the pass went in front of him and made it to Ayew, was becuase the guy was offside. Not by millimetres either, miles offside. And even then he had to make an effort and stretch for it.

romufc

Maguire is marking none. He has to cover the red circle and prevent the ball from getting there. He doesn't.
@UNITED ACADEMY Harry turns his back on Ayew so he has no Scooby where he is, whether he's strayed offside or not. He's no man's land and he's at fault for losing Ayew. Thankfully the goal was offside by a hair.
:lol: :lol: :lol: If he covers the red area, he keeps Ayew onside. Obviouslt Fosu Mensah should be in position, Maguire is marking the space, what happens if Zaha hits, DDG saves and it is a tap in for one of the runners? Maguire is marking his zone.

simmee

Lindelof is responsible for his own, and if he is covering the right he doesn't need to be that close to AWB in the first place, as you admitted the most obvious bit of play from Zaha rendered him useless on that same occasion. You will also forgive us mare mortals for missing this "obvious" tactic from Lindelof since on several occasions he was all over the place.
It was obvious because they were defending to push Zaha to go with his weaker foot. You're having a mare alright. I'm sure it's mostly you that didn't understand that tactic. So fecking blinkered it's unreal

Sorry for the late reply, got held up by something. I don't think Maguire is aware of TFM being badly out of position, he doesn't have eyes on the back of his head and he is focused on the play. In that situation, I think he just has to trust the leftback. I thought his position was fine because he was ready to cut off the pass. The only reason the pass went in front of him and made it to Ayew, was becuase the guy was offside. Not by millimetres either, miles offside. And even then he had to make an effort and stretch for it.
He looked over his shoulder seconds before. He knew TFM was nowhere and Ayew was his man, there is no doubt about that. He simply made a mistake and let him get away from him, I dont know why everybody is so reluctant to admit it. Happens to every defender at one time or another.

mu4c_20le

He looked over his shoulder seconds before. He knew TFM was nowhere and Ayew was his man, there is no doubt about that. He simply made a mistake and let him get away from him, I dont know why everybody is so reluctant to admit it. Happens to every defender at one time or another.
Because we know its not a mistake, and he did the right thing. This isnt FIFA, the players don't have an aerial view of the situation at all times. Suddenly abandoning his position just because he suspected in a split second that his teammate was not going to mark his man is impractical and only done in a video game.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Just to quote Suedesi's post again. Do people really really think this is NOT a bad defending, and Ayew supposed to be TFM man? I mean, really?? :lol: :lol:

Let's look at the disallowed goal.

Zaha gets the ball and is covered by AWB. Lindelof is also close, Maguire is in the center tight to Ayew

Second frame - Zaha has carried the ball inside and is covered by AWB. Lindelof is also in close proximity and McTom is busting a lung to get close to the danger and can cover a pass to the runner (Milivojecic??).

Pogba is tracking the other runner. At this frame, and with TFM badly out of position, Maguire HAS TO COVER AYEW. He can't let him ghost into space, he's got to cover him.

Maguire is marking none. He has to cover the red circle and prevent the ball from getting there. He doesn't.
@UNITED ACADEMY Harry turns his back on Ayew so he has no Scooby where he is, whether he's strayed offside or not. He's no man's land and he's at fault for losing Ayew. Thankfully the goal was offside by a hair.

Icemav

He is a lot of things, like slow and cumbersome. But he’s a warrior and leads like one on the pitch. The rest of our backline is too passive including our goalkeeper
De Gea had a good game but he is like a church mouse. Totally passive about some of the bad defending in front of him. I hate seeing that.

8thWonder

The debate is whether it's an error at all, that's why?

I genuinely don't think it is. He shouldn't follow Ayew and leave a huge gap in the middle free if there's no other defender near. It's a bit like going zonal instead of man marking for me.

If someone here has coached a defensive set up and knows better then I'm willing to listen but I think you're wrong.

romufc

Just to quote Suedesi's post again. Do people really really think this is NOT a bad defending, and Ayew supposed to be TFM man? I mean, really?
We are meant to play 4 at the back not 3. How you can possibly think that is Maguire's fault?

8thWonder

Just to quote Suedesi's post again. Do people really really think this is NOT a bad defending, and Ayew supposed to be TFM man? I mean, really?? :lol: :lol:
Yes, Ayew is at the back post. If Maguire follows him then there is literally no defender in the middle of the goal mouth. Instant decisions to be made. I personally think he made the right one even if we ended up being lucky it was ruled out.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
We are meant to play 4 at the back not 3. How you can possibly think that is Maguire's fault?
Back 4 doesn't mean ALL four defenders have to be there when opponents are attacking, does it?

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Yes, Ayew is at the back post. If Maguire follows him then there is literally no defender in the middle of the goal mouth. Instant decisions to be made. I personally think he made the right one even if we ended up being lucky it was ruled out.
Yeh. Bad defending. He just let go the man he's man marking, and defending area where there's no danger around.

EDIT: Anyway, it seems like nobody would change their mind on this, even when we see the same screenshots/game. I'm done with this, and just enjoy the win.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.