Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
In 12 months time we’ll be calling for him to be replaced just like Lindelof now

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
He's been very good so far, which is nice because he's having to carry the entire defence himself
That's not true!

He has David fecking de Gea behind him. AWB is very good defender, probably one of league's best fullbacks defensively, and Shaw is more than good defensively. Lindelof is meh, even though many rate him here, but Smalling had Lindelof next to him too and he was apparently terrible and Lindelof was supposed to be our player of the year last season?

I think you are too subjective on him reading some of your posts here, and you generally tend to overrate English player from what I have seen, so you are definitely harsh on other players saying he is supposed to do all by himself.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
In 12 months time we’ll be calling for him to be replaced just like Lindelof now
Nah, with better players around him he'll look better. But 80m was probably 40m too much.

Andersons Dietician

I know King and Wilson are quick players but it was bit worrying how badly he was struggiling when they had a run. Same goes for Lindelof. Not a good thing for a team that looks like it wants to be playing a highline.

el3mel

Ok, liked him but let's be honest, extremely overrated defender. No way in hell with this performance he should be the most expensive defender in the world.

Yagami

Good post resistant
That's not true!

He has David fecking de Gea behind him. AWB is very good defender, probably one of league's best fullbacks defensively, and Shaw is more than good defensively. Lindelof is meh, even though many rate him here, but Smalling had Lindelof next to him too and he was apparently terrible and Lindelof was supposed to be our player of the year last season?

I think you are too subjective on him reading some of your posts here, and you generally tend to overrate English player from what I have seen, so you are definitely harsh on other players saying he is supposed to do all by himself.
I have to disagree.

de Gea, to me, seems past it. I just don't feel confident with him between the sticks anymore. AWB, yes, is doing well, too. Shaw, again, I like, but he can't stay fit so it's more Young than Shaw and we all know about Youngy. I've never really rated Lindelof - even back when he was in some decent form.

So, with some help from AWB, he is carrying our defence, imo. It's no surprise that since bringing him in our XGA thingamajig has dropped drastically.

Your last paragraph is a load of nonsense, btw. Nationality doesn't ever come into whether I rate someone or not. As an example, I'm like the only one here who doesn't think Garner's all that, but to some he's this incredible English prospect. My favourite player outside of United is from Slovakia.

Velvet Revolver

It seems like we need axel or a very mobile CB to play alongside Lindelof or Maguire, while both are good on the ball we need a balance with on cb covering for the other. If ( hope not) awb gets injured we are going to struggle.

Also from what i see, almost 80% of the goals we conceed is due to defensive errors, and we payed 150+ million to fix that very issue!

A-man

That's not true!

I kind of agree. I personally like Maguire and think he has been the best or second best player of the team so far. It he is not the type that is carrying his team in any way.
I even think he is a player who is good when other players cover for him, because he often leaves his position and leaves a gap behind him. That’s why it is so ironic to read he is doing baby sitting, when it is almost always him who needs others to cover for him.

Litch

Welcome to Utd. Come here half decent and rapidly your game will start to decline. We blame the signings but very few come here and get better. We need to look at ourselves first before blaming just the signings....

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Nah, with better players around him he'll look better. But 80m was probably 40m too much.
He is always going to look too slow and easy to dribble against. If we get better players and thus move up to higher levels like Champions League football he will stick out like a sore thumb and fans will be calling for his head. His passing is also vastly overrated

Fosu-Mens

It's truly shocking just how inept the people making the decisions in our club are.
I have for some time wondered if a number of posters on here could do a better job at identifying targets for the club than the people doing it at the club. They seem to value outdated "factors" in players. Based on the players we bought it seems like OGS and the club aimed for players suitable for a "park the bus and counter style of play" AKA Mourinhoball.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
It's weird that half the Caf over the summer said he was overrated, way overpriced, wasn't much of an upgrade, his lack of pace would cause us seriously issues, and wasn't remotely worth the £80m the club paid for him.. you know.. things that have clearly all been proven true, and yet the vast scouts of our clubs couldn't see it.

Roboc7

Said before we signed him he wasn’t a great defender, just better than what we had and good on the ball. Evans was every bit as good for Leicester last season if not better.

He keeps being held up as a good signing by Ole but don’t buy it myself. We paid double what he was worth and he will never be a bale to justify that fee. We’re supposed to believe and Ed and Ole know why their doing but they got bent over on the fee for Maguire.

Over time he’ll be alright but we need a better partner for him, he’s not like VVD who can elevate those around him.

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
Will never justify his price tag & is another example of filling a want rather than actual need.

£80mil in any market should get you something special; his lack of pace & mobility mean his one major weakness will be exposed too often.

I didn’t watch Leicester week in week out but honestly what did he do to make us think £80mil was value for money?
Funny thing is there were plenty of fans who knew what to expect.

manunited1919

He adds poise when we do have the ball. He is good at anticipating plays. But he has a mistake in him doesn’t he?
It was a terrible signing for us, because those funds HAD to be invested in midfield and forwards. We are dead in the water with the team we have now.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
He is always going to look too slow and easy to dribble against. If we get better players and thus move up to higher levels like Champions League football he will stick out like a sore thumb and fans will be calling for his head. His passing is also vastly overrated
I think next to a fast player who can cover him he'll look a lot better. There have been games where he's eased the pressure on the backline with his aerial dominance (against more attacking teams when we've pressed them). His distribution started better this season but - I agree - has been rather poor recently. In a back four he probably needs a rapid centre back alongside him and the left back needs to be alert.

Fracture90

I have for some time wondered if a number of posters on here could do a better job at identifying targets for the club than the people doing it at the club. They seem to value outdated "factors" in players. Based on the players we bought it seems like OGS and the club aimed for players suitable for a "park the bus and counter style of play" AKA Mourinhoball.
That and "British talent" so that they don't run off to Barca and Madrid eventually.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
And if we sell Smalling for 15m, I would be furious.

So far, nothing says we have an improvement.

Yagami

Good post resistant
And if we sell Smalling for 15m, I would be furious.

So far, nothing says we have an improvement.
Aren't we conceding a lot less chances this season compared to last? That with our best DM - Herrera - leaving and not being replaced, too. Maguire is a huge reason as to why we concede a lot less chances now. If we still had Herrera screening the defence it'd be even better, but, as a result of him leaving and not being replaced, the defence is even more exposed due to this and yet we're still conceding less chances.

Irwin99

What are the opinions on him so far?

As a Leicester fan, we haven’t missed him (yet).

I haven’t watched him week in / week out like you have; however, seems to be fairly average so far?
Had a very good start and I agreed with Keane's assessment that although the price was massively inflated he was a necessary buy for the club, but....his form has been a concern for the past month or so. He's not been catastrophic by any means and actual errors for goals haven't been that obvious but he's just not really showing a lot either. He's too passive and his passing doesn't seem as good as his early season form.

Still think he'll be a good signing but might benefit from a different partner at the back.

AFC NimbleThumb

Said before we signed him he wasn’t a great defender, just better than what we had and good on the ball. Evans was every bit as good for Leicester last season if not better.

He keeps being held up as a good signing by Ole but don’t buy it myself. We paid double what he was worth and he will never be a bale to justify that fee. We’re supposed to believe and Ed and Ole know why their doing but they got bent over on the fee for Maguire.

Over time he’ll be alright but we need a better partner for him, he’s not like VVD who can elevate those around him.
This is the crux of it.

He’s a damn good defender but he isn’t a generational talent like a VvD [who when beaten can rely on his elite physical ability].

Maguire’s weakness, his pace/mobility, means we need a pacey CB alongside him to show his best.

Ban

Had a very good start and I agreed with Keane's assessment that although the price was massively inflated he was a necessary buy for the club, but....his form has been a concern for the past month or so. He's not been catastrophic by any means and actual errors for goals haven't been that obvious but he's just not really showing a lot either. He's too passive and his passing doesn't seem as good as his early season form.

Still think he'll be a good signing but might benefit from a different partner at the back.
This. One bad game and all hell brakes loose. Theres even talk about him being a bad purchase overall. Granted he's fallen of a cliff a bit form wise but opinions on him are so black and white. And suddenly it's like he's totally crap.

Ban

This is the crux of it.

He’s a damn good defender but he isn’t a generational talent like a VvD [who when beaten can rely on his elite physical ability].

Maguire’s weakness, his pace/mobility, means we need a pacey CB alongside him to show his best.
Havent watched so much of him but is Tuanzebe the answer for now?

acnumber9

I don't disagree with you. But, none of it is actually Maguires' fault. It was Ole, his staff, along with club members who made this decision. Like I said, he's a solid defender and there are far bigger issues to fix in our squad before going to Maguires' position.
And I never said it was. And you can still say that it was a waste of money without having to acknowledge there are other problems. This was a problem Utd created themselves this summer.

bond19821982

Aren't we conceding a lot less chances this season compared to last? That with our best DM - Herrera - leaving and not being replaced, too. Maguire is a huge reason as to why we concede a lot less chances now. If we still had Herrera screening the defence it'd be even better, but, as a result of him leaving and not being replaced, the defence is even more exposed due to this and yet we're still conceding less chances.
Ole has been very defensive though. Opposition knows, if they get one chance and score, they could get something out of it.

it's like LVG period. People say our defence was great but the fact was we used to keep the ball a lot. Similarly now, all small teams stay compact and wait for one chance. So obviously we concede less chances.

Is it really helping us though? Not really, we have one of the worst starts despite spending 150m on defence and almost all of them are defensive mistakes .

AneRu

It's weird that half the Caf over the summer said he was overrated, way overpriced, wasn't much of an upgrade, his lack of pace would cause us seriously issues, and wasn't remotely worth the £80m the club paid for him.. you know.. things that have clearly all been proven true, and yet the vast scouts of our clubs couldn't see it.
This is exactly why the club won't move forward as long as we maintain the current structure. To think that we could have failed to bring in a midfielder so that we could pay the required fees for Maguire and AWB! It's a sickening reminder of why we are where we are and the likes of Liverpool are flying high, we consistently make poor decisions.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Ole has been very defensive though. Opposition knows, if they get one chance and score, they could get something out of it.

it's like LVG period. People say our defence was great but the fact was we used to keep the ball a lot. Similarly now, all small teams stay compact and wait for one chance. So obviously we concede less chances.

Is it really helping us though? Not really, we have one of the worst starts despite spending 150m on defence and almost all of them are defensive mistakes .
I thought we were very defensive last year, too, so the improvement, for me anyway, still warrants some praise. In fact, I can't remember the last time I considered us an attacking team! :(

Right now it looks like a waste because of our depleted attack, but in the long run I think it'll turn out to be a very beneficial signing.

Lee565

Overrated based on average world cup display a few years back in a 3 man defence that always flatters defenders and the only reason man city were sniffing around him during the summer was because of the premier league British player quota and he was the best of a bad bunch.

A-man

A lot of over reactions. There are flaws in his games but overall it is good. If the players up front would score some goals everybody would be praising United’s defence.

bond19821982

I thought we were very defensive last year, too, so the improvement, for me anyway, still warrants some praise. In fact, I can't remember the last time I considered us an attacking team! :(

Right now it looks like a waste because of our depleted attack, but in the long run I think it'll turn out to be a very beneficial signing.
Yeah probably in the long run. Should have got our priorities right. Should have kept Smalling ,bought AWB and upgraded our midfield and forward.

Again, these things doesn't matter if we dont get an competent manager in. He is absolutely clueless at this point of time.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Yeah probably in the long run. Should have got our priorities right. Should have kept Smalling ,bought AWB and upgraded our midfield and forward.

Again, these things doesn't matter if we dont get an competent manager in. He is absolutely clueless at this point of time.
I can agree with all that despite being happy with the signing at the time (& still am). What's done is done, though, so we just have to hope we sort the other areas of the pitch out now in future windows (along with the manager) and then this signing will look more sensible as a result.

Devil may care

Poor today but he picked up a knock in midweek and probably shouldn't have started instead of Rojo.

Status
Not open for further replies.