Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
On the one hand he should be a lot better then he has been for us... On the other hand, his centre back partners are mostly garbage.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
All things considered, we should never have bought him. Nowhere near good enough to warrant that fee and more importantly, there were more urgent needs in the squad

dev1l

He’s made a lot of mistakes so far that have cost us I could think of a least 5 times I seen him and thought wasn’t good enough not for £80m feck me I’d of wanted Koulibaly for that much.

Don’t hate the lad really hope he does well but he’s not a top class defender.
Well this season Koulibaly also had his fair share of mistakes. Against Juventus alone, Koulibaly made 3 or 4 big mistakes.
The same with DeLigt...
But the grass is always greener on the other side..

Deery

Dreary
Well this season Koulibaly also had his fair share of mistakes. Against Juventus alone, Koulibaly made 3 or 4 big mistakes.
The same with DeLigt...
But the grass is always greener on the other side..
Watched him play against Liverpool was brilliant controlled their front 3 more or less by himself.

That’s the type of grass I want for £80m.

dev1l

Watched him play against Liverpool was brilliant controlled their front 3 more or less by himself.

That’s the type of grass I want for £80m.
There s a certain dislike for him here because if the fee paid and also for some because he s English.
Being English for some people means that he s overrated, hence his shortcomings are analysed and amplified

el3mel

The only thing Maguire brought us was having better control on the ball than Smalling, but defensively, he hasn't been an improvement that much over Smalling which is bad as I consider Smalling a good squad option only. People overrate our defense.

Definitely didn't justify his price and I was all for this signing since last season.

Need to improve that's all, otherwise will end up being another waste of money. We didn't pay 80 to get a Smalling with better ball control ffs.

Bobski

How do his weaknesses fit within a top teams approach? Unless we are going for a long term defend deep and counter style, I struggle to see how his lack of mobility, recovery speed and agility on the turn will not be a major issue in a more ambitious approach.

It is one of the reasons why I never thought City were overly fixated on Maguire, him in their team makes them even more vulnerable to death by counter in the latter stages of the CL.

Deery

Dreary
There s a certain dislike for him here because if the fee paid and also for some because he s English.
Being English for some people means that he s overrated, hence his shortcomings are analysed and amplified
I don’t think it’s even that I actually think everyone wants the best for him but you can just see these things not major errors but just things an elite defender would not do.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Problem is as you said we needed a right back but 40 million spent and we are once again having to be patient in the right back postion for the next few years in hope he can develop his game, we needed a right back that was the finished article and can have an attacking output.

the main problem with seeing young in that position last season was his lack of usefulness on the ball rather than his defensive displays which weren't amazing but were solid 9 times out of 10.

I just think had ole kept lukaku and showed him some love rather than favouring rashford as his number 9 over him and signed trippier to whip in crosses from the right wing and his ability from set pieces, we would have had more going for us going forward.

For me Ole's decision making with player personnel choices has made the squad look weaker rather than stronger.
Agree. Trippier for 18m and AWB for 50m, keeping Lukaku and we could have had a better squad.

Hindsight is a strange thing.

lsd

The Oracle
When’s he going to get that fat head on the end of a set piece and get us a goal.
As much as i think he is a total waste of money i can't blame him for these stupid corners we insist on trying where we hit the ball deep looking for him to head it back to the middle in the hope someone will then get a second header to score .

The amount of times we have attempted this sheer stupidity drives me nuts.

As for Maguire he is without doubt the biggest waste of money in football .

80 million for a carthorse

Red_toad

So guy wasn't at fault for the goal and not part of our attacking unit in the final third of the pitch. So lets all slag him off as he?????? Jeez some of our fans.

Sleigh

Supports
Leicester City
VVD walked into a defence which had better balance than yours. He didn’t perform as well at Southampton. He’s part of a better unit.

From an outsider looking in, I still think you guys need a left back, a Centre back (defensive leader), CDM and a forward to push the elite.

Sometimes these players don’t need to cost the earth. We’ve not spent a lot of money. Evans cost of £3.5m, Robert Huth £2.0m. They’ve been our best two leaders in the past 5 years. I think Goddin would have done you the world of good, if the language barrier wasn’t an issue. Alternatively, why not Alderweirald or Vertongen got a season. You’ve got players in place, that would allow you to sit deeper and invite crosses. You just need a stronger partner for Maguire, who will lead the team and again head everything.

You need a central destroyer, we’ve had Kante and N’Didi. You don’t have anyone in that role. Someone like Axel Witsel, Sander Berge or Diadie Samaasekou.

I’m not sure you need Pogba ... you could sacrifice him for a couple of the above and just have a more industrious team.

Martial, Rashford and James work as wider players. You do need a solid forward though. I’m still bemused he got rid of Lukaku without a plan B.

Reactions: 12OunceEpilogue

Treble

He's a very good CB, that's it. The guy at Leicester who replaced him there might turn out to be a better CB though.

Treble

If he's a very good CB theres maybe 5 CBs in the league who are better than very good CBs
There are also excellent CBs, the likes of VVD and Laporte. There might be other CBs who are a bit better than Maguire, don't know.

Litch

There are also excellent CBs, the likes of VVD and Laporte. There might be other CBs who are a bit better than Maguire, don't know.
Amazing how these excellent CB's play in the best teams in Europe eh? Weren't so excellent before they were bought as I'm sure based on what we know in hindsight, others might have tried to sign them too. It's also amazing how some of these players we sign were good before they came here, but turned to shite after. Also amazing how good players sign for good managers who then actually make the better!!! Rather the apportioning all the blame on players, we need to look at ourselves too. Frightening on how Harry was a better player in a Leicester shirt than a Utd one but he's not on his own. If I was say Maddison, I'd be staying.....

Ekeke

Amazing how these excellent CB's play in the best teams in Europe eh? Weren't so excellent before they were bought as I'm sure based on what we know in hindsight, others might have tried to sign them too. It's also amazing how some of these players we sign were good before they came here, but turned to shite after. Also amazing how good players sign for good managers who then actually make the better!!! Rather the apportioning all the blame on players, we need to look at ourselves too. Frightening on how Harry was a better player in a Leicester shirt than a Utd one but he's not on his own. If I was say Maddison, I'd be staying.....
Not much better last season.

Litch

.......it's like me buying my wife a Porsche, and then taking it back cause she's still a shite driver. Maybe is not the cars fault eh? We seem to want to blame all the signings when top managers generally make even good players better or excellent players world class. When Sterling signed for city, I thought 50m, what a joke. He's worth double that now and most players under Klopp, Pep et al are better than when they signed. I can see the vultures already circling around Harry on here and anyone being robbed, it's us doing the robbing. We are turning good players into shite and then blaming them.

Last edited:

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
All things considered, we should never have bought him. Nowhere near good enough to warrant that fee and more importantly, there were more urgent needs in the squad
At the end of last season, a CB and RB were as urgent a need as anything. Right wing up there as well. Midfield and striker became a much bigger need when Herrera left on a free and Lukaku left with no replacement.

I'll say it a million times. Maguire and Wan Bissaka were absolutely necessary signings and I'm delighted we signed them. We just needed a lot more than just them. There was no 1 or 2 signing solution to our squad, and there still isn't. So people shouldnt shit on the players who are actually doing well, when we are being let down elsewhere. Where is the logic in blaming our 2 actually performing defensive players for us dropping points when we have 2 others who just arent very good, but also when we can't score more than 1 goal a game. We basically have to keep a clean sheet to win a game. That's not going to happen regularly enough to be a viable strategy no matter how good your defence is.

And it's not a lack of money that was the reason for not buying more. We ended the summer with a net spent of like 60-70m with a big clear out in wages. Financially we could easily have spent a lot more, and should have. So people need to stop blaming us actually addressing 2 problem positions as reasons why we didn't address others. They arent related. It should all have been done.

kouroux

At the end of last season, a CB and RB were as urgent a need as anything. Right wing up there as well. Midfield and striker became a much bigger need when Herrera left on a free and Lukaku left with no replacement.

I'll say it a million times. Maguire and Wan Bissaka were absolutely necessary signings and I'm delighted we signed them. We just needed a lot more than just them. There was no 1 or 2 signing solution to our squad, and there still isn't. So people shouldnt shit on the players who are actually doing well, when we are being let down elsewhere. Where is the logic in blaming our 2 actually performing defensive players for us dropping points when we have 2 others who just arent very good, but also when we can't score more than 1 goal a game. We basically have to keep a clean sheet to win a game. That's not going to happen regularly enough to be a viable strategy no matter how good your defence is.

And it's not a lack of money that was the reason for not buying more. We ended the summer with a net spent of like 60-70m with a big clear out in wages. Financially we could easily have spent a lot more, and should have. So people need to stop blaming us actually addressing 2 problem positions as reasons why we didn't address others. They arent related. It should all have been done.
If we could have spent more, we would have spent more. The club was financially restricted, otherwise it makes no sense to have this squad as weak as it is.
Come the end of the season, we'll realize (hopefully not) that spending that Maguire wasn't the wisest thing to do. AWB was a big necessity but definitely not Maguire

Ban

If we could have spent more, we would have spent more. The club was financially restricted, otherwise it makes no sense to have this squad as weak as it is.
Come the end of the season, we'll realize (hopefully not) that spending that Maguire wasn't the wisest thing to do. AWB was a big necessity but definitely not Maguire
Why was the club financially restricted and who's to say it wont be next season? Maybe we'll buy 2 players per transfer window in the future like this summer.
Conflicting stories and theories all around.

kouroux

Why was the club financially restricted and who's to say it wont be next season? Maybe we'll buy 2 players per transfer window in the future like this summer.
Conflicting stories and theories all around.
I don't know why, we're all speculating at this point. I just know that a club in our situation needed much more investment. I also got the hint when we started renewing many of our average players, that we weren't gonna spend that much.
Maguire is a decent defender and that's it, I don't think he's worth that kinda ridiculous money.

0le

A centreback was a huge necessity unless people wanted us to continue to play Rojo, Bailly and Jones. Who were the alternatives other than Maguire? We couldn't buy a young kid. The only alternative I can think of was Koulibaly and he was touted at well in excess of £100m.

kouroux

A centreback was a huge necessity unless people wanted us to continue to play Rojo, Bailly and Jones. Who were the alternatives other than Maguire? We couldn't buy a young kid. The only alternative I can think of was Koulibaly and he was touted at well in excess of £100m.
I don't know, didn't we send one our CBs on loan to Roma ? Smalling was the least of our concerns for me, we went into the season with a depleted midfield and forward line. I don't see how adding Maguire was supposed to improve our attacking which is more important for us to win games

0le

I don't know, didn't we send one our CBs on loan to Roma ? Smalling was the least of our concerns for me, we went into the season with a depleted midfield and forward line. I don't see how adding Maguire was supposed to improve our attacking which is more important for us to win games
Jones, Bailly and Rojo are all useless and injury prone. We had 2 fit CB's (Smalling, Lindelof) and a kid. Defence was definitely necessary because all three of those players have already missed some games due to injury.

We were also linked to attacking players. Dybala springs to mind. Something clearly went wrong behind the scenes. No surprise there!

kouroux

Jones, Bailly and Rojo are all useless and injury prone. We had 2 fit CB's (Smalling, Lindelof) and a kid. Defence was definitely necessary because all three of those players have already missed some games due to injury.

We were also linked to attacking players. Dybala springs to mind. Something clearly went wrong behind the scenes. No surprise there!
Dybala was never coming. Regarding the backline, adding a player who cost way too much and resulting in us losing another one who is on par with him (Maguire is supposed to be much better than Smalling with that price) is crazy to me. Go for a cheaper option if possible, otherwise invest in a more pressing area like midfield or attack. We're gonna rue this come May, well we already are. Maguire hasn't improved us significantly I feel

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
.......it's like me buying my wife a Porsche, and then taking it back cause she's still a shite driver. Maybe is not the cars fault eh? We seem to want to blame all the signings when top managers generally make even good players better or excellent players world class. When Sterling signed for city, I thought 50m, what a joke. He's worth double that now and most players under Klopp, Pep et al are better than when they signed. I can see the vultures already circling around Harry on here and anyone being robbed, it's us doing the robbing. We are turning good players into shite and then blaming them.
Maybe is not the car's fault. But then you know that you're buying a Porche which has been a proven world class car when driving by best of the best.
Harry though..

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Completely disagree. We could have spent more. We just didn't. They don't want to overspend on players unnecessarily, and they don't want to go after players if they aren't the top option anymore. We waited all summer to buy Maguire as we tried to get him for cheaper, but ended up paying as it'd be a disaster if we didn't and because he was one of our top options. If Sancho was available and willing to come, I'm sure we would've paid up. We went for Longstaff but didn't want to meet their asking price (rightly so). But we also decided not to go after anyone else.

United rakes in so much money, we're always capable of spending a lot more than we do. You compare other clubs and how much they spend on occasion. A net spent of 70m 2 seasons in a row is not close to our spending potential, but it is just what we ended up doing. Ole wanted "a change of culture". He doesn't want to overspend on the wrong players, and Woodward wants to change the perception of the club. Ole pushed to get rid of those that didn't want to be here and those he didn't have any use for, but didn't want to just replace them with anyone and decided he'd give some experience to youth players. That was the noise coming out of the club all summer, and it's what he's done. Whether that's the right call is a different argument, but our lack of spending isn't because a lack of money. Last summer the board lost faith in Mourinho so didn't want to spend a massive amount of money.

Completely disagree on Maguire as well. He is a quality center back and he'll show that in time. He's been very good all season anyway, and by a distance our best CB these days and will be our main CB for years to come.

Like I said many times though. Buying a CB had no bearing on the rest. Signing Maguire was not the reason for not signing attackers. That was just the decision they made, but we had and still have plenty of money to spend. A good amount. The question is just will we spend it wisely. The 3 players we signed for once all look like excellent signings. Just we need a lot more. That's all there is.

Davie Moyes

He's improved us a lot with his composure. He's been a solid 7/10. God knows what we'd be like with Jones or Smalling instead this season when we are not creating or scoring much at all.

kouroux

Completely disagree. We could have spent more. We just didn't. They don't want to overspend on players unnecessarily, and they don't want to go after players if they aren't the top option anymore. We waited all summer to buy Maguire as we tried to get him for cheaper, but ended up paying as it'd be a disaster if we didn't and because he was one of our top options. If Sancho was available and willing to come, I'm sure we would've paid up. We went for Longstaff but didn't want to meet their asking price (rightly so). But we also decided not to go after anyone else.

United rakes in so much money, we're always capable of spending a lot more than we do. You compare other clubs and how much they spend on occasion. A net spent of 70m 2 seasons in a row is not close to our spending potential, but it is just what we ended up doing. Ole wanted "a change of culture". He doesn't want to overspend on the wrong players, and Woodward wants to change the perception of the club. Ole pushed to get rid of those that didn't want to be here and those he didn't have any use for, but didn't want to just replace them with anyone and decided he'd give some experience to youth players. That was the noise coming out of the club all summer, and it's what he's done. Whether that's the right call is a different argument, but our lack of spending isn't because a lack of money. Last summer the board lost faith in Mourinho so didn't want to spend a massive amount of money.

Completely disagree on Maguire as well. He is a quality center back and he'll show that in time. He's been very good all season anyway, and by a distance our best CB these days and will be our main CB for years to come.

Like I said many times though. Buying a CB had no bearing on the rest. Signing Maguire was not the reason for not signing attackers. That was just the decision they made, but we had and still have plenty of money to spend. A good amount. The question is just will we spend it wisely. The 3 players we signed for once all look like excellent signings. Just we need a lot more. That's all there is.
Not dissecte it to repeat more or less the same thing. Let's just say I disagree with most of what you said

thepolice123

Dybala was never coming. Regarding the backline, adding a player who cost way too much and resulting in us losing another one who is on par with him (Maguire is supposed to be much better than Smalling with that price) is crazy to me. Go for a cheaper option if possible, otherwise invest in a more pressing area like midfield or attack. We're gonna rue this come May, well we already are. Maguire hasn't improved us significantly I feel
I think you need to look at our transfer dealings as a whole. It has been a complete mess which the made the huge Maguire's transfer fee look bad.

Making Fred our only option for a new CM and not getting a replacement for Lukaku led us to this conundrum. Add to that the utterly bizzare decision to let Smalling go on loan while Rojo, Jones and Bailly stayed.

Personally, I think getting Maguire is the right move, we desperately needed another first choice CB. I do not know whether are we tied down financially by the 80m transfer fee, but it seems like we weren't even in the market for a midfielder or attacker ever since we signed Fred. I can only recall the Bruno Fernandes and Dybala talks which ended up being a load of hot air.

Status
Not open for further replies.