Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

kundalini

Terrible waste of £80m and no doubt ridiculous wages too. He's a complete liability defending corners. We are conceding goal after goal in his zone because he isn't attacking the ball enough to even get a challenge in on time. So slow he's practically irrelevant whenever the opposition counter attacks.

el3mel

The worst transfer in our history even Bebe was better than this piece of garbage.

I'v never seen a worse defender for anywhere near that money . There is absolutely nothing about defending he is above average at

Smalling is a much defender and would have scored a few goals
A bit harsh. Sanchez was the worst all things considered.

A-man

Shouldn't he stay inside the box in the last minutes? We tried to put in some crosses but there was no target.
Not sure what he was trying to do in the midfield where we had enough people already.
The first goal he was blocked by Gomez, so it was not entirely on him. The problem is why we was organized like that, with no one trying to mark thier biggest threat.
Exactly what I was thinking. Either stay back to defend or get in the box to head the ball.

dev1l

The worst transfer in our history even Bebe was better than this piece of garbage.

I'v never seen a worse defender for anywhere near that money . There is absolutely nothing about defending he is above average at

Smalling is a much defender and would have scored a few goals
You must have a very short memory

Godfather

Get Smalling back and put him alongside Maguire. Maybe then he'll finally start performing. The difference in class between him and VVD is unreal.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I guess Im still not seeing what is so good about him

lsd

The Oracle
Get Smalling back and put him alongside Maguire. Maybe then he'll finally start performing. The difference in class between him and VVD is unreal.

Swap Smalling for Maguire and you are on to something

Paul_Scholes18

Alright today, but he gets beaten by pace far too easily. I think the biggest difference today was actually the defensive lines. Van Dijk was a giant and won them the game pretty much. Arnold with the assist. In midfield I think we played as well as them.

Art

Art the artist
This will go on to be the signing that costs us from challenging for the big honors for the next few years. We've gone all in on such an average player and given him the captaincy to boot.

Paul_Scholes18

This will go on to be the signing that costs us from challenging for the big honors for the next few years. We've gone all in on such an average player and given him the captaincy to boot.
Maybe if the board stop actually trying to spend big on the types of players we need. It already feels like it. We spend too little already and spend 80 million on a very overhyped defender. My problem is not getting Maguire, but the fact we spent most of our money on him. We should be spending more though, but our greedy owners just don't want to do it. Although if they actually tried to improve us the money would come to them even more.

ottosec

An average player playing like an average player. I thought he was at least dominant in the air but, judging by the first goal, that doesn't seem to be the case.

Swap Smalling for Maguire and you are on to something
And use that 80m we wasted on him to buy a midfielder or a right winger and we would have been miles better.

Bobski

You know all that talk of CB's not being dribbled past all season, Maguire was beaten 4 times today alone.

RedIan

He did ok today. the first goal was not down to him but the way the defence was told to play and marks zones. . anyone who thinks he is crap should see how we are with him missing from the team and jones in...

lsd

The Oracle
An average player playing like an average player. I thought he was at least dominant in the air but, judging by the first goal, that doesn't seem to be the case.

And use that 80m we wasted on him to buy a midfielder or a right winger and we would have been miles better.

At this point i would give Roma 80 million to take him . Would still be a better deal than having to play him

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I've never seen a player with such physical attributes be so utterly useless in the opposition box.

Even Evra was better then him at attacking set plays.

Oldyella

He did ok today. the first goal was not down to him but the way the defence was told to play and marks zones. . anyone who thinks he is crap should see how we are with him missing from the team and jones in...
Yeah, because we need to compare our £80mill club captain against calamity Jones to be able to see his worth...

A-man

It’s not like United haven’t wasted millions on midfielder and wingers over the last years.

Mastoness

Just thinking what we could've get for 80mil:

- Tielemans and Ziyech
- Tielemans and Ndidi
- Ndidi and Ziyech
- Tielemans and Nathan Ake (if we wanted CB that badly)
- Ziyech and Nathan Ake

Add just a bit of extra money for some of those combinations.

Nothing against Maguire but he is a 50mil CB at best. We already had 6 centrebacks in our squad. Playing Smalling alongside Lindeloff would have the same effect as playing Maguire.

sherrinford

I've never seen a player with such physical attributes be so utterly useless in the opposition box.

Even Evra was better then him at attacking set plays.
He’s not useless at all. Sure, he’s missed a fair few chances but he is virtually the only player who gets on the end of them for us. Maguire frequently gets on the end of set piece deliveries, after what feels like years without any presence in the box at all. I’m sure one will go in before the season finishes.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
He’s not useless at all. Sure, he’s missed a fair few chances but he is virtually the only player who gets on the end of them for us. Maguire frequently gets on the end of set piece deliveries, after what feels like years without any presence in the box at all. I’m sure one will go in before the season finishes.
Simply getting on the end of a ball is a bare minimum requirement...and he doesn't even do that very often. He just isn't threatening at all and never looks like he's upsetting the opposition defence or anything.

And years!? Smalling has 5 goals for us in the last 2 years... Hell Lindelof has been more of a threat, and he's notoriously rubbish in the air.

Roboc7

Can’t really complain if teams are trying to fleece you when paid 80m for this guy. Sporting have every right to demand as much for Fernandes.

Andersons Dietician

He and Lindelof at times today were all at sea. That Mane chance I think it was where the ball came off Fred and Shaw cleared it. Saw that coming a mile off as Lindeloff and Maguire had forgotten how to defend. Fred tried to plug the gap and Shaw had to tuck round to cover. Maguire went too far out.

he was lucky nothing was done about his shirt pulling on VVD as well Made a few errors today.

Paul_Scholes18

Can’t really complain if teams are trying to fleece you when paid 80m for this guy. Sporting have every right to demand as much for Fernandes.
We have negociated poorly for years and we keep getting worse and worse at it. Woodward deserves a lot of the blame.
Once you start paying stupid money then it will infect around.

Stadjer

He's good, but he's so slow on the ball and on the turn. Ok performance today
Basically that.

Besides that i dont think you can totally blame him for losing a header to van Dijk. Maguire might be know for being strong in the air but van Dijk is a monster. Just as tall, just as strong and van Dijk is also way more atheltic. It doesnt matter how strong you are supposed to be in the air.. there is always the chance that van Dijk will beat you in the air.

However i still think that buying a 80mil midfielder and keeping Smalling would have been better for the team in general. Although nobody could have know that Pogba would have been injured as much as he has been so far. A inform and fit Pogba could have made the midfield look a lot better just by himself.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I will never understand why we paid so much for him. He's a good defender, but that's it. You saw the difference between him and van Dijk today, day and night. That's the level we should be getting for the money we paid for him.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
Whoever greenlighted the deal for Maguire should be sacked ASAP. When forum dwellers know more than the people running your club it's a big problem. £80 million flushed down the toilet. He's no better than smalling.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I thought he did well. Winning some important interception and being calm on the ball when under the pressure not aimlessly clear or pass the ball, unlike his partner who just clear the ball to give the ball straight back to Liverpool player.

The first goal we conceded I have to blame on the tactic, I never big fans of zonal marking, If I'm an attacker during corner, I would be happy that I am not being marked on.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Needs a rest, but we can’t give him one. He looks as if he’s playing through something.

Hawks2008

Hes just not world class and never will be. We payed 40m too much for him.

I don't get why we decided to make him captain, what qualifies him exactly? When they signed him they talked about him being a leader but he shown nothing of the sort. I guess the idea of him being our next Steve Bruce type figure was a nice one for Ole so dropped a world record fee for a more refined Phil Jones and gave him the armband after 4 months.

It's a joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.