Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

romufc

I don't know if it's younger fans who didn't watch greats of the past or fans who've bought into the media's role in over analysing every error.

But making a mistake here or there doesn't make someone error prone. It's just a natural consequence of playing football. Unfortunately one mistake in a game seems to completely colour a players performance now.
This is a very good point that people ignore. I will give you a classic example.

Maguire is error prone / crap CB is the narrative from a portion of United fans, the same fans idolise Upamecano and wanted us to sign him. I can't say I watched alot of him but I probably watched 10 games this season, in 6 he made mistakes.

Thats not even me watching the full matches. Fans these days over rate players that do not play for this club due to social media and underrate our players.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
He's now coming up with even more new and unique ways to not score goals.
Incredibly he was sold to the fanbase as a threat in the opposition box when he signed. Even with nobody in front of him he contrives to miss!

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Incredibly he was sold to the fanbase as a threat in the opposition box when he signed. Even with nobody in front of him he contrives to miss!
Our best header of the ball... Yet I genuinely don't think he'd have scored the Amad header.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
terrible miss but a decent defensive display from him again. Thought Bailly looked out of sorts early on but he settled down too and we defended well. Goal obviously should’ve been saved

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Our best header of the ball... Yet I genuinely don't think he'd have scored the Amad header.
No way does he have the quickness of thought or the ambition to score a back header.

I actually find it a bit laughable to see Maguire going up for set pieces. What's the point? Just leaves us short because, when we inevitably mess it up, his lack of pace leaves us massively short on defensive transitions.

Irwin99

Aside from the bad miss he was decent. I wouldn't say Milan were outstanding but they were putting pressure on the defence but the centre backs coped well enough.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Held the defense together for most of the game. Should really have scored though.

A-man

It largely depends on what year we're talking about with Rio. His ability on the ball declined quite significantly as he got older, probably more than just about anyone else I can think of (it's an unpopular opinion but I think Vidic had probably overtaken him by the end). Maguire is certainly much better on the ball than Rio was in his last few years, and perhaps even when he was at his defensive peak. Not sure if I'd put him ahead of Rio in his younger years though.
I have a similar opinion. But maybe he didn’t decline, maybe football got faster, press increased etc, you know, development.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

That miss will become a future classic, I am not really judging him on this.
He was pretty solid defensively, but he is just so slow with the ball and his passing.
Together with Matic and McTominay that was awful to watch.
I assume he will stay in our starting line-up for the upcoming seasons so we need to a CB and a CDM who are both mobile and move themselves and the ball forward quickly.

thepolice123

It largely depends on what year we're talking about with Rio. His ability on the ball declined quite significantly as he got older, probably more than just about anyone else I can think of (it's an unpopular opinion but I think Vidic had probably overtaken him by the end). Maguire is certainly much better on the ball than Rio was in his last few years, and perhaps even when he was at his defensive peak. Not sure if I'd put him ahead of Rio in his younger years though.

It also depends on why Maguire is so slow at playing the ball out from the back, something that is quite an issue. He's technically a very good passer but he doesn't do it enough and tends to slow things down too much. Is it because HE is slow at it, or is it because he doesn't have any options since we regularly only have two players ahead of him (normally Bruno and Fred) constantly moving and trying to provide an option while the others don't get into space? It is a real downside with Maguire but I'm not sure who to 'blame' for it.
TBF our team under Fergie wasn't as focused on building up play from the back. Vidic had an weak foot excellent pass. He could hit the ball long or short accurately with his left foot, I think Maguire is still pretty weak in this aspect. But Maguire is still our best ball-playing CB since Blind or Rio.

MagooDad

If he pulled off his miss in our penalty area, it would have been a really world class clearance.

Sylar

Miss aside, defensively he was good again
Suspect for their disallowed goals though so maybe good is being a bit kind but everything that was legal was good

Man Utd 1:0 West Ham

Zoo

Top performance from the skipper tonight. Really enjoyed his performance, you could see how much he wanted the 3 points.

Dante

Average bang
Fantastic performance as usual. Once again proving why he's worth every penny of the £80m we paid for him.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Absolutely bossed it. Cleaned up the headers, provided the blocks, crisp in his passing under pressure, stabilised the defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.