Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

AFC NimbleThumb

He performed badly at the start of the season when clearly there were a lot of things affecting him at the time. People like yourself chose to ignore those circumstances. Since then he has recovered his form. You carry on though.
People like myself acknowledge he has been rather poor since Project Restart with performances against Bournemouth, Spurs, Sevilla & Southampton [off the top of my head] being well below what I’d expect from him; he then brought that form into this season but was defended as if he was pulling up trees before the Greece incident which is quite simply untrue.

My issue with Maguire is his best performances come when he is babysat by 2 DMs in games we’re attempting to contain/hold off the opposition.

It’s the Sevilla semi, the Leipzig elimator & the Spurs game that concern me greatly - he’s our best CB & in our bigger games against better attackers looks out of place, he’s not the only one but this is the Maguire thread.

The truth is this thread will see us go back & forth because he’ll have his fair amount of shockers whilst keeping clean sheets in games we park the bus in.

Back to the origin of this discourse though; the ‘My Captain’ rhetoric is as embarrassing as the McSauce nonsense; he’s far from the worst defender in the league but I’m yet to see what saw him lauded apart from fining teammates over non appearances for social events.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I just reread this. Out of interest how does he have 100% tackles won when he gave a away a free kick for a foul on Jesus and got booked. Is that not counted as a tackle?
:lol: Also what does "clearance" mean? Hoof it off, or goal clearance (which I don't remember any)? But yeh.. stats.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Did well by dealing with absolutely nothing? I would say that was his easiest game of the season
You need to stop the hate. He stops everything today, nothing went past him.
I know he has been in poor/inconsistent form at times this season, but this match he is fine.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
A shame that his heading ability cannot match how good he is at actually winning aerial duels. He seems to get chances from corners every week, but so few are on target.
He is also shite at defending headers, even against smaller players winning them means feck all when he can't direct them to our player to save his life.

scudetto_boy

Supports
St Mirren
If he wasn't English, i think he would be taking an almighty pounding from fans & media. Talk about being robbed of £80 million :(

Mcking

Is his foul and subsequent yellow card not the result of a failed tackle?
A tackle is an attempt to win back the ball. It wasn't a tackle in the first place, Maguire just kicked him.

The 100% stat is a bit hideous admittedly, but not false.

Ronaldo's Mum Eh?

Ronaldo is shite
Someone needs to tell him that when you head the ball, you're doing a good job but it would be a lot better if you could actually aim it on target, so that way ... you know we could actually make use of you on corners?

Classical Mechanic

Someone needs to tell him that when you head the ball, you're doing a good job but it would be a lot better if you could actually aim it on target, so that way ... you know we could actually make use of you on corners?
He’s scored 1 goal from a corner this and been heavily involved in another two goals from corners this season. Scoring from corners is a very low probability event in football, as low as 2% if you try and find some figures on it. Maguire‘s xG is 0.67 in the PL and has 1 goal. Before he joined us had the most goals and assists of any centre back in the league in the years he’d been playing in the division so I don’t think there’s much evidence that he isn’t offering enough in that regard.

Foxbatt

He is a good player. He is not a top class player. He could be good in a team that defend deep. Like a Jose team. Furthermore he is not a leader. Interesting view from Ian Wright about leaders. He said when Tony Adams was leading the side, he would lead tactics on the pitch like getting the forwards to drop deep for about 5 mins or so to give the defense a breather if the defense was coming under too much pressure. Or just to keep the ball in midfield and pass it about until the defense gets a respite.
Maguire doesn't do anything like that at all.
Lindelof is much better in organising the defense.

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
He's a player who's going to be judged unfairly because of the price tag. He's not what we paid for but he's still a good player considering the generation of CB in world football today.

Oranges038

A tackle is an attempt to win back the ball. It wasn't a tackle in the first place, Maguire just kicked him.

The 100% stat is a bit hideous admittedly, but not false.
I've watched it back a few times. It's not like it's a cynical block or trip. He clearly sticks a a leg into win the ball, is about half a second late and catches Jesus. It is most definitely a missed tackle.

A-man

I just reread this. Out of interest how does he have 100% tackles won when he gave a away a free kick for a foul on Jesus and got booked. Is that not counted as a tackle?
The tackle stats are very weird imo. The last two matches I have followed the stats throughout the matches to see what counts as a tackle. As example, the tackle Lindelof did at 74:45 did not count as a tackle which I found strange (not as a clearance or anything else either).

A-man

:lol: Also what does "clearance" mean? Hoof it off, or goal clearance (which I don't remember any)? But yeh.. stats.
If a player shoots the ball far away, to the opposite team or a throw, it is a clearance. If a more skilled player instead controls the ball in the same situation, and passes a team mate, he gets nothing.

Oranges038

The tackle stats are very weird imo. The last two matches I have followed the stats throughout the matches to see what counts as a tackle. As example, the tackle Lindelof did at 74:45 did not count as a tackle which I found strange (not as a clearance or anything else either).

This was bugging me on how they work out these stats so I had to look this up.This is from Opta.

From what I read the only way Maguires foul is not counted as a tackle is only if Jesus isn't clearly in possession of the ball. By this metric too a lot of Maguires passes can be counted as clearances as well.

https://www.optasports.com/insight-for-fans/opta-s-event-definitions/

Tackle
A tackle is defined as where a player connects with the ball in a ground challenge where he successfully takes the ball away from the player in possession.

The tackled player must clearly be in possession of the ball before the tackle is made.
• A tackle won is deemed to be where the tackler or one of his team-mates regains possession as a result of the challenge, or that the ball goes out of play and is “safe”.
• A tackle lost is where a tackle is made but the ball goes to an opposition player.

Both are deemed as successful tackles however, the outcome of the tackle (won or lost) is different based on where the ball goes after the tackle.

It is not a tackle, when a player cuts out a pass by any means.

Missed Tackles
This is where a player attempts to challenge for the ball and does not make it – it is calculated by adding fouls with an attempted tackle qualifier to the number of times a player is beaten by a dribble (challenge lost).

Clearance
This is a defensive action where a player kicks the ball away from his own goal with no intended recipient.

A-man

This was bugging me on how they work out these stats so I had to look this up.This is from Opta.

From what I read the only way Maguires foul is not counted as a tackle is only if Jesus isn't clearly in possession of the ball. By this metric too a lot of Maguires passes can be counted as clearances as well.

https://www.optasports.com/insight-for-fans/opta-s-event-definitions/
I think missed tackle is if you attempt but are dribbled basically. But I’m not sure.

If you have the possibility, check 74:45. I can’t work out how that’s not a tackle. Could it be because he wasn’t enough in control of the ball? But then it should have been a clearance but wasn’t that either.

Oranges038

I think missed tackle is if you attempt but are dribbled basically. But I’m not sure.

If you have the possibility, check 74:45. I can’t work out how that’s not a tackle. Could it be because he wasn’t enough in control of the ball? But then it should have been a clearance but wasn’t that either.
I don't really know who comes up with the wording and classification of the stats, but that's a tackle all day long.

You can watch it over and over on the link below, it's a good site for watching reruns. Will be showing this one to the kids on Christmas eve.

https://fullmatchsports.co/manchester-united-vs-manchester-city-full-match-2020-21/?tab=second-half

A-man

I don't really know who comes up with the wording and classification of the stats, but that's a tackle all day long.

You can watch it over and over on the link below, it's a good site for watching reruns. Will be showing this one to the kids on Christmas eve.

https://fullmatchsports.co/manchester-united-vs-manchester-city-full-match-2020-21/?tab=second-half
Yes. it can’t be more of a tackle than that, imo. Thanks for the link! I have three days to watch the games, then they disappear (Viaplay).

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
If a player shoots the ball far away, to the opposite team or a throw, it is a clearance. If a more skilled player instead controls the ball in the same situation, and passes a team mate, he gets nothing.
So how does it count as a "good stats" for player? :lol:

Mcking

An interception or a ball recovery, and a successful pass.

Foxbatt

I've watched it back a few times. It's not like it's a cynical block or trip. He clearly sticks a a leg into win the ball, is about half a second late and catches Jesus. It is most definitely a missed tackle.
It is lucky that he only tried to tackle him and not crucify him.

tomaldinho1

The issue is also that there’s no stat to track if they should have or could have made a tackle. So you could make 1 tackle in game and have 100% tackle success but be culpable for multiple goals OR have missed loads of tackles and have a low % but stopped players passing or shooting and actually had a better game. Same as xG, stats are nice to look at and can be useful but v limited in a game as unstructured and variable as football.

A-man

So how does it count as a "good stats" for player? :lol:
He gets a little better passing percent...

An interception or a ball recovery, and a successful pass.
Quite often not. I’ve been following the stats pretty closely now and there are many situation where a player clears it without reason, where there is really no threat, and he gets a clearance. At the same time if someone wins the ball with control he gets nothing. And then the tackles, they seem most random.

Tapori

Oh Harry.
Such a better performance; if he can keep this level as his base level and continue to improve on weaker parts of his game we might well do ok.

Here's hoping he pushes on learning and improving but if there is the usual 2 good matches, 4 average and 3 poor sequence then we're back at square 1

I liked a nice diagonal out to the right and a block or two in particular. Better shape

Oranges038

The issue is also that there’s no stat to track if they should have or could have made a tackle. So you could make 1 tackle in game and have 100% tackle success but be culpable for multiple goals OR have missed loads of tackles and have a low % but stopped players passing or shooting and actually had a better game. Same as xG, stats are nice to look at and can be useful but v limited in a game as unstructured and variable as football.

I think it looks like we need an XT stat to add to the list.

Bobski

Lost a lot of physical battles tonight, he and Telles struggled on the left aerially.

Zoo

I think he was fine. Sheffield United were throwing g the kitchen sink at us at the old school fashion.

Status
Not open for further replies.