View full 2023-24 profile

6.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Toad

It’s unfortunate someone has to deal with something like this. But for Harry, he did have a way out. The club have inadvertently told him he isn’t good enough to play for the club by actively trying to sell him. He refused that due to wage demands, if he is deep down struggling with it then he had his chance to take himself away from the spotlight. He thinks he is better than he is, you can gauge that from most of his media interaction.

Mike Smalling

I don’t think it’s possible to get to the very highest level in sport without having the sort of self belief that might be perceived as delusional. He probably thinks he’s one of the most expensive defenders in the world for a reason, has proven himself at the highest possible level for England and just needs some more time to show ETH that he’s a better player than he’s looked under him so far.
That might be what is happening. I think the more likely situation is, that the story he tells the press about fighting for his place is just what he says publicly, but privately it's more of matter of him being content with a back-up spot at a higher salary. Especially since it doesn't seem to matter one bit in terms of England selection.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
It's not managers berating him. It's the fans, media, and social media. Less exposure? Are you sure? People will be waiting with baited breath to sling vitriolic abuse his way as soon as he makes an inevitable mistake - that I can guarantee.

He's ex-Manchester United. Stripped of captaincy. Laughed at universally. West Ham fans won't want him because of the way he is currently portrayed. Do you think that shit just goes away when he moves clubs? Really?
I never said that ETH berated him. However he stripped him of the captain band and he made him 6th choice cb. Moyes on the other hand wants him. He would gamble his reputation on him by signing him just as ole did. On top of that west ham plays a style of game that suits him. Let's not pretend that he is a prunier, Maguire can do well at the right club.

Marcus

What do you want to use as points to defend him against opposition fans?
Cheer him when he comes on for United during matches. Give him some confidence and benefit of the doubt because we do need him. Not boo him or any other Uniter player individually for that matter during matches for mistakes? Whole team takes plaudits and blame. Not keep treating him like a meme but a player who is struggling but still trying his best in training and during the match. Try not to pour fuel on the fire in social media? Something like that.

Idxomer

Utterly bizarre take. He was a very good player a couple of seasons ago, remember how everyone was devastated when he missed the EL final and how much we missed him? He had a bad start to 21/22 and that’s when the abuse began, and it’s obvious it’s destroyed him mentally, as I’m sure it would to most players. His own fans have made him the player he is today, I’ve never seen abuse like it. I think the fact he’s English plays a major part in the abuse, exemplified by your xenophobic tone.
That's laughable, he's the same player he always was. If he isn't protected by a defensive system, he is going to get exposed. He also always made stupid mistakes. It was true 5 years ago when he was at Leicester. It was true when he was supposedly very good under Ole and it's still the case today.

black country red

Cheer him when he comes on for United during matches. Give him some confidence and benefit of the doubt because we do need him. Not boo him or any other Uniter player individually for that matter during matches for mistakes? Whole team takes plaudits and blame. Not keep treating him like a meme but a player who is struggling but still trying his best in training and during the match. Try not to pour fuel on the fire in social media? Something like that.
I agree United fans have always defended their own

Crashoutcassius

The horse has bolted a bit here. We have some of the worst fans out of all the English clubs who booed him all summer in friendlies. The damage is done.

Every fan base makes mistakes but we are so entitled even relative to any other English club it is incredible.

RedUnited86

Mammy Maguire on the case now.

Would all have been avoided of course had he not been so greedy and refused to move. Of the thousands of players that moved clubs this summer, did all of them get a pay-out for the remainder of their old contracts?

Fred and Henderson seemed to have no problem.

philippexyz

I have no sympathy at all for him. He's lucky to be paid this much while being an awful footballer. He'll stink on the bench and occasionally appear on the pitch because of injuries(or not even be included in the squad) for two more years until his contract runs out and we get released from him. Woodward, scouts, recruitment department - absolute idiots and we get this situation.

Chose more money over dignity and playing time and he is sabotaging the club he's currently at(halting the progress, manager doesn't rate him at all and doesn't want to use/see him) and it's supporters have all the right to mock and make fun of him because of it. Maguire deserves absolutely no pity.

I understand his choice(better wages right now while sitting on the bench), but he absolutely deserves all the (legal)consequences of his actions(mocking, being made fun of, booing etc.). Everything has a price in life.

saivet

Who got more abuse or mockings from fans, online or in stadium - Maguire or Fellaini?

Maguire probably gets it more from opposition fans in general but Fellaini had a similar feeling amongst fans online and probably worse than United fans at stadiums.

Castia

Shouldn’t have been put in the England situation to begin with why he’s still playing international football after not being anywhere near good enough and also playing limited club football is beyond me

He’s brought most of this on himself I’m sorry I don’t feel like Maguire is the ‘good guy’ in this situation, I have no sympathy what so ever

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
As terrible as some abuse is on social media, it's not in anyone's control. Southgate has mismanaged him by exposing his evident frailties in games and then doubling down.

devilish

I can remember Baggio doing that when he went to Bologna in fairness, so fair enough there's that one. Buffon was without a club and went "home" for the final year or two of his career, like a lot of players. Balotelli I'm trying to work out which move you mean to be honest, Marseille to Brescia? If so he was without a club. Liverpool to Nice? He was completely left out of Liverpool's tour and was going to be left out of the PL squad before being given a free transfer, and by all account Nice didn't pay him a great deal less than he was on at Liverpool. Depay similar, he was pretty much cast aside and went to Lyon on about 80% of the salary he'd been on at United, with the tax laws in France at the time there was the potential for the that to significantly increase too.

The three Chelsea lads have gone to clubs that Milan and Forest will a) have received decent pay-offs to go and b) haven't taken a near 50% salary cut at their new clubs.

If West Ham were offering him £160k (take home £4.6m) I could perhaps understand some of the comments but if you're being expected to take a drop in real-term earnings from £5.5 to £2.7m then realistically any player is going to want to be compensation properly to leave.

Yeah I'm well aware of that but realistically that was up to the club to make happen, if they had paid up the difference in contracts by way of a "loyalty bonus" upon leaving like most clubs do without any fuss, he'd likely be a West Ham player now.

And realistically he will always get game-time here, look at the injuries we've already faced. It's not as if we have completely cast him outside and left him out the squads.

You do understand that your kids grandparents aren't your own grandparents...right?
Maguire is pretty much cast aside from us as well. He has been stripped off the captain band, he was transfer listed and he is now 5th choice. United gave him a pay out as well. In fact we agreed to cover the difference of 1 year of salary. The deal fell through as he wanted a full payout (ie the difference of another year of salary). That would have united with pennies (around 14m) out of the west ham fee which made it impossible for us to find a suitable replacement. That's the reason why we didn't sell

There are many to blame for the maguire's situation l which include the scouts and ole who thought it was a good idea to buy an 80s style CB to play in the modern game, our negotiators and the idiocy of making him captain from day 1 rather then allowing him to settle in. I also blame Southgate who insist in playing him despite being clearly not in a position to play for England. He is setting him to fail.

However maguire did choose to stay in this stupid situation, he did it for money and he knew the repercussions of it. No one can blame the fans for not liking it and quite frankly few care what a low EPL table level CB and a championship level manager who manages England solely because of his passport think. I watched the England game in sardinia and those watching couldn't stop cracking jokes of how this 'overrated player who would struggle in the serie B' is able to play for England and Man united.

Last edited:

poleglass red

That's laughable, he's the same player he always was. If he isn't protected by a defensive system, he is going to get exposed. He also always made stupid mistakes. It was true 5 years ago when he was at Leicester. It was true when he was supposedly very good under Ole and it's still the case today.
just to play devil's advocate, if in a game when he's match fit, if we start Amrabat and Casemiro- 2 defensive minded mids, and of course we have a sweeper keeper in Onana, does that mean Maguire's weakness won't be as exposed as say playing behind a mid 2 of McFred with De Gea behind him. Neither of McFred were recognised defensive minded mids, De Gea never came of his line. I'm no Maguire fan by the way, I wouldn't have him anywhere near the team, and I don't think ETH will have either unless he really has to due to injuries. I'd apply that logic to Lindeloff as well, a player with similar weaknesses to Maguire, but a player I feel ETH will start when needed over Maguire. Seems now though we will be better prepared and set up to compensate for their shortcomings.

The Hilton

It would be nice to see the match going crowd rally around him a little bit, because his mum is absolutely right.

He isn't suited to the way we want to play, and his confidence is in the bin, but he gets far more stick than his failings deserve, and is never praised for playing well. It's become a popular joke to laugh at him, far beyond what is reasonable or fair.

theyneverlearn

and this one probably never will
if he plays well and puts in solid performances then the critics will go away.

I think Martínez last year is a good example, he was getting pelters from all types of media before he even kicked a ball, then we go and lose a couple game and he gets even more.

He then comes out and puts in decent performance after decent performance and the criticism turns to praise and he’s now regarding as one of the best CB in the PL.

Manncunian

It would be nice to see the match going crowd rally around him a little bit, because his mum is absolutely right.

He isn't suited to the way we want to play, and his confidence is in the bin, but he gets far more stick than his failings deserve, and is never praised for playing well. It's become a popular joke to laugh at him, far beyond what is reasonable or fair.
But why do you think this is? There’s always a reason, people don’t just pick a name out of hat to mock them.

Perhaps it’s his delusional comments in the media claiming what a fabulous player he is, which then quickly gets followed up with a diabolical/embarrassing performance on the pitch?

Perhaps the utter garbage that came out of his mouth during the interview after the incident in Greece also caused him to look farcical.

The guy talks himself up as if he’s one of the World’s best CBs, so he invites the criticism and mockery he is a recipient of. It’s quite simple really.

If you’re not particularly good at something but give it the billy big bollocks, you’ll inevitably get laughed out the room. And rightly so.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

The horse has bolted a bit here. We have some of the worst fans out of all the English clubs who booed him all summer in friendlies. The damage is done.

Every fan base makes mistakes but we are so entitled even relative to any other English club it is incredible.
Why are we so quick to slag off our own supporters? The fans inside Old Trafford have never booed him. When he was warming up vs Wolves last month, he was applauded and had his name sung.

But he was booed by some people who attended a preseason game abroad, so that means we have the 'worst fans out of all English clubs'. Have you seen the atmosphere at pre season games abroad? It's a panto atmosphere. I've seen better atmospheres at Soccer Aid.

Old Ma Crow

It's difficult to overlook poor basic defending like this, especially with his lack of humility and accountability.

If he does get a run of games now, he has to play to his strengths and for the team, not his ego. Or do it for your mam Barry!

Last edited:

Jeffthered

I do agree with a previous post, cannot recall by who, highlighting the sense of 'sympathy for these young, fit, healthy, and incredibly wealthy men, a sympathetic narrative which seems to have become normalised over the last few years. There's nothing wrong with Harry Maguire, and even though he is receiving a torrent of abuse which is just completely out-of-order, Harry Maguire has to take some action here. He could decide to move, and more than likely, begin to remind people that he is in fact a good player. Why doesn't he choose this option? He will still be paid fabulous wages and retain the incredible lifestyle for his family.

He is in a fortunate position (which many people are not...) and that is he is in full control of his life and choices, and all carry incredible, incredible benefits.

I'm fed up of feeling sorry for professional players at the highest level. 99% of them just get on with it and are grateful for their lot.. I don't resent anything they earn etc, that's market forces and another conversation.. but blimey, Harry Maguire could resolve a lot of this himself.

JB7

Right…sorry for mis-reading. Copy and paste what I said and change it to parents.
Well it comes down to happiness away from work I suppose. He's clearly content living the North of England, an hour or so from his hometown. His wife is from the area, by extension both their families are from the area. They've got kids, no doubt it's great to have the kids grandparents relatively close by for a great deal of reasons. He's never lived more than an hour and half from home. He hasn't needed to move away to earn a lot of money, he's been able to take home over £5m a year to represent the biggest club in the world from not far off his own doorstep. That wouldn't be the case if him and his wife were to take the kids to live in London. So while I agree it is relatively rare that top level professional athletes live close to home, it is not rare that those athletes often towards the end of their career take a paycut to move closer to home, to the area their family and friends live. The opposite was being asked of him in this case, he was being asked to take a near 50% paycut to move further away from family to live in a city he likely has no interest in living in. Like I said before, if West Ham were offering him £150/160k and he'd turned down a relatively small decrease, people might have a point, but going from taking home £5.5m to £2.7m is a massive decrease and it's money he was entitled to as per the terms of his contract, especially given he has never shown any desire to leave the club. If United wanted him to leave they should have bridged the gap, which happens in the vast majority of instances instances where players take paycuts it's just not newsworthy.

Maguire is pretty much cast aside from us as well. He has been stripped off the captain band, he was transfer listed and he is now 5th choice. United gave him a pay out as well. In fact we agreed to cover the difference of 1 year of salary. The deal fell through as he wanted a full payout (ie the difference of another year of salary). That would have united with pennies (around 14m) out of the west ham fee which made it impossible for us to find a suitable replacement. That's the reason why we didn't sell

There are many to blame for the maguire's situation l which include the scouts and ole who thought it was a good idea to buy an 80s style CB to play in the modern game, our negotiators and the idiocy of making him captain from day 1 rather then allowing him to settle in. I also blame Southgate who insist in playing him despite being clearly out of form. However maguire did choose to stay in this stupid situation and he knew the repercussions of it. No one can blame the fans for not liking it and quite frankly few care what a low EPL table level CB and a championship level manager who manages England solely because of his passport think. I watched the England game in sardinia and those watching couldn't stop cracking jokes of how this 'overrated player who would struggle in the serie B' is able to play for England and Man united.
Except he isn't completely cast out. That's the difference. He is still in pretty much every matchday squad and made over 30 appearances last year. It doesn't matter whether he's playing for 1 minute or 90 minutes, if he's around the squad and playing football matches then he simply is not cast aside.

The bolded part just suggests that you watched the game with a bunch of people who don't understand the word overrated then to be fair. The very fact that they think he would struggle in Serie B would suggest he's incredibly underrated rather than overrated. If he left United on a free transfer tomorrow there would be a queue of Premier League clubs at his door. And to clarify this for the muppets who will quote that line out of context, that does not mean I think he is anywhere near good enough for Manchester United or that he should be at the club, that's just the fact of the matter.

I was at the game on Tuesday and the away end was great with Maguire, really supported him through the second half and after the match. It was good to see.

Idxomer

just to play devil's advocate, if in a game when he's match fit, if we start Amrabat and Casemiro- 2 defensive minded mids, and of course we have a sweeper keeper in Onana, does that mean Maguire's weakness won't be as exposed as say playing behind a mid 2 of McFred with De Gea behind him. Neither of McFred were recognised defensive minded mids, De Gea never came of his line. I'm no Maguire fan by the way, I wouldn't have him anywhere near the team, and I don't think ETH will have either unless he really has to due to injuries. I'd apply that logic to Lindeloff as well, a player with similar weaknesses to Maguire, but a player I feel ETH will start when needed over Maguire. Seems now though we will be better prepared and set up to compensate for their shortcomings.
Yeah, it should be better for him if he's playing behind two defensive mids. He will still have problems on the ball and in unpredictable situations but I guess we'll have to do with him till Shaw and Varane are fit.

Josep Dowling

How can any sane functioning adult say that the treatment aimed towards Maguire is ‘fair’?

What a world we live in, where vitriolic abuse aimed towards a footballer; (simply because they don’t match the required performance standards of a football team), warrants the actions we are seeing.

He’s accepted he isn’t first choice. He has given up the arm band with no fuss. And now he wants to fight for his place. Isn’t that what we want from our players? To fight for a place? Or do we want them to just roll over, kick up a fuss, and breed toxicity?

Some people truly are sad and pathetic.
I never said it was fair. I also said he shouldn’t get the level of abuse he’s getting. However, him and Southgate have caused it to be much worse because he didn’t move away from United when he had the perfect opportunity to do so. There is no way a player should start for England if he’s not a regular at club level and putting in below par performances.

It’s not about fighting for his place, the manager doesn’t want him. He chose to stay to keep his higher salary which has led to him remaining in the media spotlight. That was his decision. He’s effectively accepted the fan and online abuse because he’s not going to get better. The pressure is too much for him, as evident over the last 2/3 seasons.

Josep Dowling

Who leaves Manchester United for West Ham willingly ? You’d have to be borderline deranged to make that move. Oh and for half the salary. If that’s me I couldn’t care less what a few thousand fans want me to do, I’m staying put.
Plenty of players go elsewhere when they’re been told by the manager he’s not in his plans. As for the salary deduction does this excuse only apply to Man United? Again plenty of players would much rather play regularly.

He’s taken the easy option. Sit on the bench at United and take the money. On top of this Southgate is allowing him to be in that position and continue to start him for England.

Fans are quite rightly pissed off with this situation which is why he’s getting so much abuse. I have little sympathy for him now because he had the chance to move on and start again, without the Man Utd media circus, but he chose to stay.

RG77

Supports
Real Madrid
Some light booing in pre-season games and as you said rival fans cheering him on in some games.

The press and pundits in England have treated him with kid gloves since his move to United.
Yeah that is what I don’t get.

‘The way he has been treated!’

By whom?

Not the press
Not his teammates
Not the pundits

So what do Southgate & his mom want? Ban on the memes?

Leethal

I never said it was fair. I also said he shouldn’t get the level of abuse he’s getting. However, him and Southgate have caused it to be much worse because he didn’t move away from United when he had the perfect opportunity to do so. There is no way a player should start for England if he’s not a regular at club level and putting in below par performances.

It’s not about fighting for his place, the manager doesn’t want him. He chose to stay to keep his higher salary which has led to him remaining in the media spotlight. That was his decision. He’s effectively accepted the fan and online abuse because he’s not going to get better. The pressure is too much for him, as evident over the last 2/3 seasons.
As a poster a few posts up said, what if he just doesn't want to leave Manchester to live in London? What if his kids are settled? What if he likes living close to family and friends? Why have people surmised that it is wholly to do with money? It's a narrative that someone suggested, and now it's gospel?

There's a plethora of reasons he might want to stay in Manchester. Sure it might be money - who knows? He hasn't come out and said it, it's just become the generally accepted reason and now it's suddenly a straight up fact.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly

A gross generalization. He was booed by fans in the US. He may heat the odd groan upon the sound of his name in the UK, but generally he hasn't been booed at all here.
Some pre-season fans are typically fickle as they get overly-excited from watching their team play in a one off event. They see memes and feel they need to follow through with them.

I find United fans who attend games in the UK extremely supportive to our players. I can't think of many players who've had the boo-treatment from us, and lets be honest we've gone through a period where a vast majority of them could have "deserved" it.

Telsim

Patently untrue. United's fans are a most forgiving bunch, probably even too forgiving at times.

Social media and tour matches are not at all representative.

devilish

Well it comes down to happiness away from work I suppose. He's clearly content living the North of England, an hour or so from his hometown. His wife is from the area, by extension both their families are from the area. They've got kids, no doubt it's great to have the kids grandparents relatively close by for a great deal of reasons. He's never lived more than an hour and half from home. He hasn't needed to move away to earn a lot of money, he's been able to take home over £5m a year to represent the biggest club in the world from not far off his own doorstep. That wouldn't be the case if him and his wife were to take the kids to live in London. So while I agree it is relatively rare that top level professional athletes live close to home, it is not rare that those athletes often towards the end of their career take a paycut to move closer to home, to the area their family and friends live. The opposite was being asked of him in this case, he was being asked to take a near 50% paycut to move further away from family to live in a city he likely has no interest in living in. Like I said before, if West Ham were offering him £150/160k and he'd turned down a relatively small decrease, people might have a point, but going from taking home £5.5m to £2.7m is a massive decrease and it's money he was entitled to as per the terms of his contract, especially given he has never shown any desire to leave the club. If United wanted him to leave they should have bridged the gap, which happens in the vast majority of instances instances where players take paycuts it's just not newsworthy.

Except he isn't completely cast out. That's the difference. He is still in pretty much every matchday squad and made over 30 appearances last year. It doesn't matter whether he's playing for 1 minute or 90 minutes, if he's around the squad and playing football matches then he simply is not cast aside.

The bolded part just suggests that you watched the game with a bunch of people who don't understand the word overrated then to be fair. The very fact that they think he would struggle in Serie B would suggest he's incredibly underrated rather than overrated. If he left United on a free transfer tomorrow there would be a queue of Premier League clubs at his door. And to clarify this for the muppets who will quote that line out of context, that does not mean I think he is anywhere near good enough for Manchester United or that he should be at the club, that's just the fact of the matter.

I was at the game on Tuesday and the away end was great with Maguire, really supported him through the second half and after the match. It was good to see.
For most italians it's baffling how such average players can go for such huge fees/salaries especially when the worst Italian side in 40 years was able to win the Euros at Wembley despite lacking hurrykanes, rockets, 80m rated CBs etc. If Maguire is worth 80m then how much maldini would cost? Half of London?

But I digress. Maguire isn't completely a cast out because we can't afford a 5th choice CB. We can't afford a 5th choice CB because he refused to leave even though its pretty evident that he is not wanted here and he stuck to the club solely because of money. He chose the bed and now he will have to lie on it whether, Southgate, Maguire or his mum likes it or not. Southgate is not helping by insisting on him when it's evident that he is not in the right mindset to do so thus pushing our 5th choice Cb in the spotlight

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Yeah that is what I don’t get.

‘The way he has been treated!’

By whom?

Not the press
Not his teammates
Not the pundits

So what do Southgate & his mom want? Ban on the memes?
:lol: "If I see one more video of someone shouting 'HARRY MAGUIRE!' with the Gangsta's Paradise song on in the background, then I'm locking myself in a church and going on hunger strike"

Leethal

For most italians it's baffling how such average players can go for such huge fees/salaries especially when the worst Italian side in 40 years was able to win the Euros at Wembley despite lacking hurrykanes, rockets, 80m rated CBs etc. If Maguire is worth 80m then how much maldini would cost? Half of London?

But I digress. Maguire isn't completely a cast out because we can't afford a 5th choice CB. We can't afford a 5th choice CB because he refused to leave even though its pretty evident that he is not wanted here and he stuck to the club solely because of money. He chose the bed and now he will have to lie on it whether, Southgate, Maguire or his mum likes it or not. Southgate is not helping by insisting on him when it's evident that he is not in the right mindset to do so thus pushing our 5th choice Cb in the spotlight

Harry told you he stayed for money, did he?

RedUnited86

As a poster a few posts up said, what if he just doesn't want to leave Manchester to live in London? What if his kids are settled? What if he likes living close to family and friends? Why have people surmised that it is wholly to do with money? It's a narrative that someone suggested, and now it's gospel?

There's a plethora of reasons he might want to stay in Manchester. Sure it might be money - who knows? He hasn't come out and said it, it's just become the generally accepted reason and now it's suddenly a straight up fact.
Where have you seen that he was reluctant to move because of family reasons? That he'd miss a few friends? It's not a narrative someone has suggested that's now gospel, it's been widely reported that if we didn't agree to his bumper pay demand that he would stay. Had we given him the remainder of his contract, he'd be at West Ham. It is about money, and to suggest any other reason is bollocks.

At least we know what username his mum goes by though.

fezzerUTD

That was for specific things they have done. Maguire's only crime is not being good for Man United. And he gets it from every single set of fans including his own.
Yeh but it’s hardly anything is it, people are laughing and saying things because he’s bringing on a lot of it himself with his shifting of blame then cupping his ears to the fans.

Leethal

Where have you seen that he was reluctant to move because of family reasons? That he'd miss a few friends? It's not a narrative someone has suggested that's now gospel, it's been widely reported that if we didn't agree to his bumper pay demand that he would stay. Had we given him the remainder of his contract, he'd be at West Ham. It is about money, and to suggest any other reason is bollocks.

At least we know what username his mum goes by though.
On the contrary, where have you seen he stayed for money?

"Widely reported", . . . Please. Social media said so?

The Hilton

But why do you think this is? There’s always a reason, people don’t just pick a name out of hat to mock them.

Perhaps it’s his delusional comments in the media claiming what a fabulous player he is, which then quickly gets followed up with a diabolical/embarrassing performance on the pitch?

Perhaps the utter garbage that came out of his mouth during the interview after the incident in Greece also caused him to look farcical.

The guy talks himself up as if he’s one of the World’s best CBs, so he invites the criticism and mockery he is a recipient of. It’s quite simple really.

If you’re not particularly good at something but give it the billy big bollocks, you’ll inevitably get laughed out the room. And rightly so.
He hasn't helped himself with some of his comments, although mostly as a reaction to criticism, and he's not the first player with self belief beyond his abilities. Him speaking in support of himself a bit doesn't justify the ridiculously disproportionate amount of abuse he gets, he even got a random shout out in the Nigerian parliament for crying out loud.

Your last paragraph is an example of the silly dialogue around Maguire, the idea that he's "not particularly good" as a defender is nonsense, there's a huge chasm between that and "not good enough for Man Utd", and he occupies that space.

Leethal

He was ready to move to West Ham if we topped up the salary he was going to get at West ham
Who told you that, Harry? Official club statement?

Or is it just conjecture based on. . . . I dunno, some FaceBook post, some random journo looking for clicks, or some knob-head 14 year old . . . with 45 followers.

Don't just believe what you want to believe to drive a common narrative. Believe what's factual based on evidence.

devilish

Who told you that, Harry? Official club statement?

Or is it just conjecture based on. . . . I dunno, some FaceBook post, some random journo looking for clicks, or some knob-head 14 year old . . . with 45 followers.

Don't just believe what you want to believe to drive a common narrative. Believe what's factual based on evidence.
Read the info at the time. Most journalists toed that line.