View full 2023-24 profile

6.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Robertd0803

Who got more abuse or mockings from fans, online or in stadium - Maguire or Fellaini?

Maguire probably gets it more from opposition fans in general but Fellaini had a similar feeling amongst fans online and probably worse than United fans at stadiums.
I reckon Maguire. But then social media is even more prevalent than when Fellaini was here so that might have something to do with it.

Grande

But why do you think this is? There’s always a reason, people don’t just pick a name out of hat to mock them.
This is untrue. There is tons of evidence that people mock others for things that are really arbitrary. What is worse, they very often blame the victim of their mockery for ‘giving them reasons’ to mock them. It’s the ABC of mob behavior.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Not alive to see Beckham effigies burnt then? Or the Ronaldo winking thing after 2004? :yawn:
There was an effigy of him hung, I don't remember one being burned.

The guy has had bomb threats to his family home, been booed by his own fans, even mocked in the Ghanaian parliament which is an overboard level to those who don't get a cheap thrill from a pile on.

Leethal

Read the info at the time. Most journalists toed that line.
Right. Journalists. The beacon of truth and all that is just, as we all know :lol:

Was it a "Source close to Harry", "Friends have told them", or "They are led to believe"?

What tier were these "journalists"? (Tier rating for journos.... what a load of bollocks that is).....

I will repeat, once again:

Don't just believe what you want to believe to drive a common narrative. Believe what's factual based on evidence.

Melville Red

Those going to the match this weekend just be careful what you say or do if Harry gets to be on the pitch, after all his mummy might be sat near you and she just might clout you with her handbag.

Leethal

The guy has had bomb threats to his family home, been booed by his own fans, even mocked in the Ghanaian parliament which is an overboard level to those who don't get a cheap thrill from a pile on.
Effigy's were from rival fans. I think, (my memory could definitely be wrong), it was West Ham actually.

The Sun posted a dartboard image with Beckham's face on it. Classy newspaper, as always.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Right. Journalists. The beacon of truth and all that is just, as we all know :lol:

Was it a "Source close to Harry", "Friends have told them", or "They are led to believe"?

What tier were these "journalists"? (Tier rating for journos.... what a load of bollocks that is).....

I will repeat, once again:

Don't just believe what you want to believe to drive a common narrative. Believe what's factual based on evidence.
Romano and Kevin Nolan himself confirmed that it was a money issue

Last edited:

flappyjay

The horse has bolted a bit here. We have some of the worst fans out of all the English clubs who booed him all summer in friendlies. The damage is done.

Every fan base makes mistakes but we are so entitled even relative to any other English club it is incredible.
I remember Fellaini getting booed at old Trafford, he has been gone for years and no bad word towards the club and fans. Top bloke.

theballisround

The horse has bolted a bit here. We have some of the worst fans out of all the English clubs who booed him all summer in friendlies. The damage is done.

Every fan base makes mistakes but we are so entitled even relative to any other English club it is incredible.
So if you go to a restaurant and the food is absolutely shit when you paid a lot of money for it, you just get up and leave without saying anything?

Grande

A gross generalization. He was booed by fans in the US. He may heat the odd groan upon the sound of his name in the UK, but generally he hasn't been booed at all here.
Some pre-season fans are typically fickle as they get overly-excited from watching their team play in a one off event. They see memes and feel they need to follow through with them.

I find United fans who attend games in the UK extremely supportive to our players. I can't think of many players who've had the boo-treatment from us, and lets be honest we've gone through a period where a vast majority of them could have "deserved" it.
I agree with this. There are a number of fans who support the players in incredible ways. It takes a lot for our travelling away supporters to boo the team. I would hope it takes a lot more for anyone to boo a specific player. That player would have be morally corrupt and intentionally want to hurt the club. I’d have wanted to boo Ronaldo after he gave that Morgan interview.

Booing an individual player for not playing good enough is something I hope I’ll never experience. It reminds me of The Roman Circus (that old one with lions in it, not Chelsea during Abramovich).

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama

Is this an absolute joke? United fans are the most patient in Europe - to a fault, really.

jasT1981

ITV last night comparing his booing, to the treatment John Barnes received from the fans due to his skin colour in 1993 was something else

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
Mad how people are defending the abuse that another human gets, because they feel he's not good enough to play for the team that they support.

Grow the feck up.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

A gross generalization. He was booed by fans in the US. He may heat the odd groan upon the sound of his name in the UK, but generally he hasn't been booed at all here.
Some pre-season fans are typically fickle as they get overly-excited from watching their team play in a one off event. They see memes and feel they need to follow through with them.

I find United fans who attend games in the UK extremely supportive to our players. I can't think of many players who've had the boo-treatment from us, and lets be honest we've gone through a period where a vast majority of them could have "deserved" it.
This. It's idiotic to lump together the Old Trafford faithful with some randomers who attended a preseason game abroad.

During the preseason game vs Wrexham, people were booing the United keeper who injured the Wrexham player. After the teams switched halves in the second half, they continued booing the keeper who was stood in that penalty area, despite the fact that it was the Wrexham keeper :lol: that's the calibre of support that preseason games attract. And yet I've seen numerous posters on here claim that "United fans have booed Maguire", which is creating a myth that the Old Trafford faithful are a disloyal fanbase.

Dan_F

Well it comes down to happiness away from work I suppose. He's clearly content living the North of England, an hour or so from his hometown. His wife is from the area, by extension both their families are from the area. They've got kids, no doubt it's great to have the kids grandparents relatively close by for a great deal of reasons. He's never lived more than an hour and half from home. He hasn't needed to move away to earn a lot of money, he's been able to take home over £5m a year to represent the biggest club in the world from not far off his own doorstep. That wouldn't be the case if him and his wife were to take the kids to live in London. So while I agree it is relatively rare that top level professional athletes live close to home, it is not rare that those athletes often towards the end of their career take a paycut to move closer to home, to the area their family and friends live. The opposite was being asked of him in this case, he was being asked to take a near 50% paycut to move further away from family to live in a city he likely has no interest in living in. Like I said before, if West Ham were offering him £150/160k and he'd turned down a relatively small decrease, people might have a point, but going from taking home £5.5m to £2.7m is a massive decrease and it's money he was entitled to as per the terms of his contract, especially given he has never shown any desire to leave the club. If United wanted him to leave they should have bridged the gap, which happens in the vast majority of instances instances where players take paycuts it's just not newsworthy.
It’s a lot of assumptions which feel pointless discussing. The only news we’ve had is he won’t accept a pay cut. Talk of him not wanting to live in London is completely made up in your head. Nevermind, maybe he’ll go and play for the blades when his contract expires.

Leethal

It’s a lot of assumptions which feel pointless discussing. The only news we’ve had is he won’t accept a pay cut. Talk of him not wanting to live in London is completely made up in your head. Nevermind, maybe he’ll go and play for the blades when his contract expires.
Also an assumption. But fits the narrative created, I suppose.

Dan_F

Also an assumption. But fits the narrative created, I suppose.
It’s not. There’s quotes all over the internet about it.

“How can I put this? We just didn’t come to an agreement,” he said.

“They were happy for me to stay and I was happy to fight for my place. I want to do that and every time I train or play I will give everything.”

RuudTom83

I love how the media flip-flop between slagging him off and saying he shouldn't be in the team, then criticise the treatment he gets online and from the fans in the stadium. :houllier:

They are the ones that fuel the fire ffs!...yet they never take any responsibility for doing it.

JB7

He's lived less than an hour and a half away from Sheffield his whole career, it's not unreasonable to assume he may feel more comfortable closer to family. I don't really understand why anybody would want to uproot their wife and kids to move 200 miles away for half the money in truth. Particularly when the city you'd be moving to is London but that's another conversation. Maybe he'd love to live there, but he's reasonable to want to be compensated accordingly for forgoing nearly half his wage to move.

Leethal

It’s not. There’s quotes all over the internet about it.

“How can I put this? We just didn’t come to an agreement,” he said.

“They were happy for me to stay and I was happy to fight for my place. I want to do that and every time I train or play I will give everything.”
Do you realise how ridiculous that sounds?

An agreement doesn't necessarily imply it was money related. You're just drawing your own conclusions, as it fits what you want to believe.

Unless it comes from Maguire or a club statement, it is pure conjecture. The majority of journo's spin any old bullshit to generate clicks, and the social media driven mob lap it up as gospel. Case in point: You.

Irrespective of all that, who the feck are we to judge him if he wants to fulfil his contract? It's a mutual agreement between two parties. If one party wants to rescind, the other doesn't necessarily have to comply - especially when it's not in his own best interest to do so. If the club wants him to forego what's rightfully his out of goodwill; maybe in future, they shouldn't be so frivolous when it comes to handing ridiculous contracts out. Which Harry's was. Which De Gea's was. Which Ronaldo's was, etc. etc. The club hands these stupid contracts out, then when it doesn't work out for whatever reason, they want to renege. Shit don't work that way. That's on the club, not Harry.

Last edited:

ForeverRed1

The abuse beckham got was on another scale. Just downright terrorised him, however, social media wasn’t a thing back then. Maguire is more of a meme/laughing stock who isn’t helping himself whatsoever. He had the opportunity to leave united and reboot his career and he chose to stay in the hot seat. At united he puts himself in the highest of expectations. It’s no secret the rest of the world loves to see united struggle so this is enjoyable for anyone but a United fan. He really really really should have left united over the summer having the opportunity to do so, things could get really ugly.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
He's got some great PR professionals in hasn't he?

Look, in all seriousness, football fans have behaved pathetically with the ironic cheers, boos and online abuse.

On the flip side, I'm not sure how I feel about the calling out of genuine and fair criticism in regards to his status in the England squad and his form for the last 2 years. People say it doesn't matter what you earn per week, but one of the reasons footballers and other elite athletes earn obscene amounts of money is because they take on the responsibility of being open to criticism.

I think Harry Maguire gets a pass as this big great professional, but there have been some antics I'd question. Mykonos being one. Strange goal celebrations another. Statements/PR in relation to having nothing to prove etc. All moves which he's responsible for putting him further in the spotlight. Despite the fanfare, a lack of, he gets excellent treatment from the household British pundits who have skimmed over his abilities on the pitch for this two year period.

I think the whole situation is too far gone and for his own sake he should've moved this summer. He chose not to take that option and naturally there will be consequences and backlash. Whether that's right or wrong is another matter entirely.

Dan_F

Do you realise how ridiculous that sounds?

An agreement doesn't necessarily imply it was money related. You're just drawing your own conclusions, as it fits what you want to believe.

Unless it comes from Maguire or a club statement, it is pure conjecture. The majority of journo's spin any old bullshit to generate clicks, and the social media driven mob lap it up as gospel. Case in point: You.

Irrespective of all that, who the feck are we to judge him if he wants to fulfil his contract? It's a mutual agreement between two parties. If one party wants to rescind, the other doesn't necessarily have to comply - especially when it's not in his own best interest to do so. If the club wants him to forego what's rightfully his out of goodwill; maybe in future, they shouldn't be so frivolous when it comes to handing ridiculous contracts out. Which Harry's was. Which De Gea's was. Which Ronaldo's was, etc. etc. The club hands these stupid contracts out, then when it doesn't work out for whatever reason, they want to renege. Shit don't work that way. That's on the club, not Harry.
That quote has come directly from Maguire so that’s what I’m discussing. Maybe he asked if West Ham would move their club to Sheffield and that’s what they couldn’t agree on. It’s quite obvious it’s money, we’ve known it the whole time, the journalists get their stories from agents.

People are going to discuss these things on a United forum and I don’t think I’ve said anything untoward or abused him. The club has been criticised no end for the fees and wages paid out in the contracts for those players, so I’m not sure what you’re talking about.

glasgow 21

Abuse really? Abuse is abuse of his position to think he could stay here and collect those wages without any flack.
If it was a parity of wages then Maguire would be gone to West Ham . He can rap it up in Xmas foil with bows on top, but he is the same as Henderson (saudi). They are here for the money. As for pundits they are on the " Boot United Train" any reason will do.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Some of the Maguire defenders honestly make me despair.

Mediocrity central in mindset, which has translated into pathetic performances from Mr former captain and 4-time relegation CB.

I just hope EtH outlasts this guy and the other unambitious 'youth' McTominay. Having said that, he has brought in Mount who looks just as average and similarly expensive.

mancan92

That was for specific things they have done. Maguire's only crime is not being good for Man United. And he gets it from every single set of fans including his own.
Nah he also has multiple times come out and barely taken responsibility for his performances. Cupping ears, saying he has nothing to prove, blaming everyone in the team except him, staying for the money etc. There's plenty of reasons people are not happy with him outside of his performances. If he showed the slightest level of humbleness then he'd have a very different reaction from People.

Gycraig

Supports
Hull
So if you go to a restaurant and the food is absolutely shit when you paid a lot of money for it, you just get up and leave without saying anything?
I would be a bit of a Moron if they served up crap food I didn’t like and I went back and complained every week that it was still crap

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
The guy is a Clown. He will get jeered everywhere. Maybe he should quit football if its annoying him.

shaky

Almost all the heat Maguire gets is ridicule, not abuse. Trying to reframe it as abuse is desperate from his camp. Are we abusing Stevie Me and John Terry because we sing songs about their infamous slips? Genuine abuse should be stamped out, but fans should be free to laugh at whoever they want.

Leethal

That quote has come directly from Maguire so that’s what I’m discussing. Maybe he asked if West Ham would move their club to Sheffield and that’s what they couldn’t agree on. It’s quite obvious it’s money, we’ve known it the whole time, the journalists get their stories from agents.

People are going to discuss these things on a United forum and I don’t think I’ve said anything untoward or abused him. The club has been criticised no end for the fees and wages paid out in the contracts for those players, so I’m not sure what you’re talking about.
As I said. Assumptions. No evidence to support your narrative at all. Just some random journalist shite, and you drawing your own conclusions.

You're just contradicting yourself.

TsuWave

This is getting a bit weird. In the last 24 hours I've seen Tom Holland (yes, spider-man), Carragher and now Brendan Rogers speak on his behalf

Guy's getting "a real nice guy" press run. is this what a blitzkrieg feels like?

Dan_F

As I said. Assumptions. No evidence to support your narrative at all. Just some random journalist shite, and you drawing your own conclusions.

You're just contradicting yourself.
Jesus Christ. There’s a quote from Maguire himself which matches with every agent driven article since the news broke. It’s not comparable at all to saying he’s going to miss Sheffield so he won’t move to London.

Please explain to me what you think he meant by we couldn’t come to an agreement, if it wasn’t contractual terms?

Roboc7

All this attention is only going to make it worse, the only solution is for him to move on. There is no way back for him at Utd, he’s not going to to move to another big club and he’s going to have to take some form of pay cut.

At some point he has to accept it and move on, I’m sure he’d be in a much better position if he’d left but his pockets would be lighter. He’s perfectly within in his rights to do what he’s done but rightly or wrongly he’s going to face the reality of what that means.

clarkydaz

The most Harry Maguire thing in the Harry Maguire meme show is his mum coming out to defend him. how about stop kicking balls in your own net? Quite the insight into why we are a nation of footballing losers, who else would put up with banking on this guy over and over, you think Germany would be tolerating this, or Italy doubling down on Maguire their centre half? He was being booed a year ago by England fans. You cant help think what comes next for us this season

mintyred

This is getting a bit weird. In the last 24 hours I've seen Tom Holland (yes, spider-man), Carragher and now Brendan Rogers speak on his behalf

Guy's getting "a real nice guy" press run. is this what a blitzkrieg feels like?
It's because he's a PR machine. No one is defending the abuse Havertz gets week in week out because he's German and doesn't have the connections. Maguire gets what every player gets when they're performing poorly while playing high-level football, everything he and his PR team do adds fuel to the fire because none of them have any self-awareness. They're treating Maguire like an anti-bullying campaign when all people are really doing is criticising his performances which are so bad at this point he's become a meme.

Marwood

Some of the Maguire defenders honestly make me despair.

Mediocrity central in mindset, which has translated into pathetic performances from Mr former captain and 4-time relegation CB.

I just hope EtH outlasts this guy and the other unambitious 'youth' McTominay. Having said that, he has brought in Mount who looks just as average and similarly expensive.
It's not just about defending Maguire. It's about defending standards of conduct. The sensible people can't let the overconfident crazy people take over.

Because this didn't start nor will it end with Maguire.

It's a really horrible adult version of schoolyard bullying. Has to be socially clamped down on.

Redstain

Almost all the heat Maguire gets is ridicule, not abuse. Trying to reframe it as abuse is desperate from his camp. Are we abusing Stevie Me and John Terry because we sing songs about their infamous slips? Genuine abuse should be stamped out, but fans should be free to laugh at whoever they want.
I agree abuse is far too strong a word. Generally most players get ridiculed to some degree. When they created the gorilla image out of Saka that was online that is abuse. Maguire getting laughed at the parliament is banter, the context of that conversation was not abusive but comedic. I'm not saying he doesn't suffer abuse but abuse would be minimalist compared to the majority of the jibes thrown towards him. This thread is generalising everything he receives as abuse which isn't accurate.

Last edited: