Harry Maguire: I shouldn't really need to prove myself at this level. I've made over 50 caps, I'm England's top-scoring defender

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!

Full interview: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...g-defender-ive-got-nothing-to-prove-w5nwp35sl

He has come with out a new interview with slew of quotes, what does Caf make of this? I don't like the last quote in particular, doesn't accept responsibility for his bad performances before pointing out others were crap too.

SirAF

Ageist
What a load of horseshit, a pro athlete must always prove themselves.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
He isn't actually saying a anything incorrect, Southgate trusts him and he's been getting minutes recently for United due to the amount of games.
He's been pretty decent recently, didn't watch the England game but saw he gave the ball away in the lead up to the Italy goal.

But by and large, that interview is fine however I'm sure it'll be picked apart as usual.

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
He isn't actually saying a anything incorrect, Southgate trusts him and he's been getting minutes recently for United due to the amount of games.
He's been pretty decent recently, didn't watch the England game but saw he gave the ball away in the lead up to the Italy goal.

But by and large, that interview is fine however I'm sure it'll be picked apart as usual.
He has been decent for United the last two games but his pace and positional awareness keeps catching him out.
Shifting blame to others last season isnt an issue as they should be held accountable for that, any captain should be calling that out, maybe not publicly.
Hes not right for United and I think hes trying to big himself up so he can get a good move in the summer to another big club. Hopefully he does move on as he deserves to play regularly, rarely injured as well which is a bonus.

Speako

I’m beginning to despise him with an alarming and increasing force, which I need to let go.

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
Technically he's not wrong. He just doesn't strike me as someone with a great deal of self-awareness.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
Context is very important and that interview is centred around his England selection. A United fan shouldn’t be angry or denigrate him for it.
Let’s wait till he comes back to club duties and make such statements before we start jumping the bandwagon.
English speakers reading this and behaving like English is not their first language. The media will always question his selection because of understandable biases with his form last season and losing his spot at United, but for Us United fans to jump the bandwagon it’s bordering vile.
I’ve never liked the guy, something about him grates me but I criticise him when it’s warrant. Not for this interview, context doesn’t apply to my team.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
He has been decent for United the last two games but his pace and positional awareness keeps catching him out.
Shifting blame to others last season isnt an issue as they should be held accountable for that, any captain should be calling that out, maybe not publicly.
Hes not right for United and I think hes trying to big himself up so he can get a good move in the summer to another big club. Hopefully he does move on as he deserves to play regularly, rarely injured as well which is a bonus.
He hasn't been shifting blame though, in this interview he actually says that his performances last season weren't good enough.

Everything in this interview is correct, he also states that not winning a trophy with England would be a failure, so it shows he also has a hunger to improve.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
Fortunately, we now have two centre backs and a manager who mean all he’s got to do is prove himself worthy of being on the bench for the rest of his contract.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Purely talking about England here, I think he's always performed.

If we win that shootout, his Euro 2020 tournament goes down as one of Englands best ever defensive showings. It still should, but, because we lost, it's overlooked.

kbbear

Agree. As long as he talks himself up and gets us a half decent fee in the summer. Not interested in what he says anymore.

Jev

He comes across as very defensive. It's not the first time and it doesn't make him look good or confident.

Ahriman

No problem with him backing himself but he's more had his chance and he's not been good enough, should have never been captain.

Jeffthered

He's suited for Southgate International football: winning massively hyped games, but not winning the ones that matter.

International football suits his game, it's slower and physically less intensive...but, at that top, top level (and the current Italy side are not top, top level, they're in transition...) Maguire will be exposed.

Play Maguire against Richarlison, V Junior and Neymar... Alveraz, Dybala... and tell.me how great he is as an International defender. Germany spanked three at Wembley not too long ago...

Someone

Something
He deserves credit for accepting his role in the team without making a fuss, but at the top level you never stop proving yourself.

BuzzKillington

He comes across as very defensive. It's not the first time and it doesn't make him look good or confident.
He doesn’t exist in a bubble, and it’s not just posters on here who seem to have some kind of seething hatred for him. I’m not surprised he’s defensive.

Jev

He doesn’t exist in a bubble, and it’s not just posters on here who seem to have some kind of seething hatred for him. I’m not surprised he’s defensive.
Well, that's a big part of his problem. It's very clear from the way he talks and plays that the criticism is getting to him, it gets into his head. He's mentally fragile and insecure. If you want to succeed at United you must be able to handle the scrutiny better than he does, even when it isn't always fair.

Good on him sticking up for himself after the outrageous abuse he’s received. He’s always been excellent for England, was good for Leicester and had a couple of decent seasons for us.
Wasn’t far off winning the European Championships and Europa League being one of the main men.
Good on ETH though for having the balls to swap him out for better defenders that fit his system.

C'est Moi Cantona

He's a good player that we don't need at United now, and will be able to sell for a decent fee in the summer, which is not something we've been able to do much recently.

AndySmith1990

Thinking you don't have to prove yourself is such a shit attitude, even just from a point of personal pride. A professional doing any job should always strive to improve, especially if you're working for one of the top companies with a wage to match. There are some exceptions to this, like somebody who has achieved everything possible, but obviously that list is small and Harry Maguire isn't one of those people

Dannn411

Hope he keeps talking himself up so we can get decent money for him. £40-45 million would be good.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I never understood when players have said “I don’t need to prove myself” because I feel you always have to.

Anyway, he didn’t say much wrong. He’s defensive because he gets a lot of criticism, a lot is over the top too

TheLord

Central defenders should prove themselves with their defensive abilities and not by how many goals they've scored. Yes, goals are a bonus for defenders, but goals shouldn't overshadow their defensive vulnerabilities.

And you should keep proving yourself till the time you retire.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Good for him if he thinks like that, luckily for us we have better defenders and our manager realises that.

Good interview.

I like him.

The amount of stick he gets is undeserved.
Weird that you like him, he is really unlikeable guy. Doesn't deserve that much stick as he gets, mostly from the facebook type crowd, but there is nothing likeable about him.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
What an arrogant, and shameless twat. Absolutely embarrassing. He's been terrible for over 2 years now and instead of proving himself by getting better and knuckling down, he is out here trying to justify his horrendous form and ability by saying this.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I agree that it doesn't make him look good. But it's very understandable. He's become some sort of meme, a figure ridiculed by his own (online) fans, considered an utter clown by random opposition fans - and he really hasn't done anything to deserve that. It's not surprising that he's not particularly confident and that he feels the need to stand up for himself.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
I agree that it doesn't make him look good. But it's very understandable. He's become some sort of meme, a figure ridiculed by his own (online) fans, considered an utter clown by random opposition fans - and he really hasn't done anything to deserve that. It's not surprising that he's not particularly confident and that he feels the need to stand up for himself.
Well he has been an utter shambles of a defender for 2 years now with an £80m price tag. Been scrutinised and ridiculed comes with the territory if you're not performing. If he can't handle the pressure of that then he shouldn't be the captain of one of the biggest sporting institutions in the world.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Good for him if he thinks like that, luckily for us we have better defenders and our manager realises that.

Weird that you like him, he is really unlikeable guy. Doesn't deserve that much stick as he gets, mostly from the facebook type crowd, but there is nothing likeable about him.
He does load for charity and behaved exemplary during the pandemic. He’s also great with local kids.

Eddy_JukeZ

An athlete should always strive to be better and prove more and more.

At least in my book. He has accomplished stuff most footballers wouldn't, but it's a different mentality than some others might have.