Harry Maguire involved in incident with police in Greece - conviction nullified by appeal, full retrial pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

IrishMcD

Went on a holiday to Riga in Latvia a few years ago, on night one we were lucky to escape from some seriously heavy Armenian mobsters. Another time on a skiing holiday in Bulgaria we happened to be in the same venue as Albania gangsters and saw them throwing their weight around. Both times us speaking English caught their attention and they got aggressive with us thinking we were English. Once they realized we weren't it calmed down enough for us to leave.. What happened in Riga was like something out of a crap gangster movie and I was sure we were gonna get buried in some forest. On both occasions, locals told us afterwards if the cops had gotten involved we were done for, as they are in each others pockets. I can easily see how the corrupt cops and coked up mobsters theory doing the rounds on social media could be accurate.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Maybe rich and famous people should avoid going to places heavily reliant on tourism during a global pandemic and economic shitestorm?

Clermontois

Supports
France
Failed when?under Mourinho? Everything that took place under his management must be considered null and void.
Forgive me if I feel very secure in handing the captaincy to a player that was clearly the leader of World Cup winning side...versus player that has been here for a year coming from ?Leicester. Brawling while on vacation. Souness and them would be on Paul right now all day every day had it been him in Greece.
Well put.

It's possible to be pro-Pogba without being anti-Maguire. They both play for Manchester United.

Maguire is the captain. You can't take it off him on a whim. It'll ruin all the faith Ole has built up in the dressing room as a manager.
It was taken off Paul on a whim for a lot less than what Maguire has done. Maguire had no right being captain in the first place and I can only see that hurting Ole in the long run unless he rectifies it.

Dante

Average bang
It was taken off Paul on a whim for a lot less than what Maguire has done. Maguire had no right being captain in the first place and I can only see that hurting Ole in the long run unless he rectifies it.
And that hurt Mourinho's reputation in the dressing room.

It was bad management, imo. I'm guessing you believe it was good management since you want to see it repeated.

padzilla

Hipster
I find it incredible this has gone to trial so quickly. That's usually not a good sign.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

This, basically.
Yes they should do the trial in English in a foreign country, makes a lot of sense that. Maybe in the UK trials should be in foreign languages too if a foreigner goes to court...

led_scholes

Don't the Greek authorities realise how bad this makes them look? They're coming across like some third world kangaroo court.

Whatever the verdict i hope he tells them to do one and to try pursuing their claim in an actual court in the UK.
They are. I can show you many videos with Police brutally beating people and their defence is always something like this: "we didn't beat him, he fell over!" or "he attacked us first" despite videos showing the exact opposite.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Wouldn't surprise me at all that they spotted Maguire and knew who he was (or was told he was there) and set about trying to get him arrested so they could get money out of him.

Get some plastic gangsters to cause a scuffle and then swoop in and arrest him. It'll be interesting to hear Harrys side of the story once this is all over.

Clermontois

Supports
France
And that hurt Mourinho's reputation in the dressing room.

It was bad management, imo. I'm guessing you believe it was good management since you want to see it repeated.
It would be different in this case as I said Maguire, a new player should not have been given the armband in the first place.

Nothing about him is more captain than a Lindelof, Paul or even De Gea; on the field he talks less than all of them.

He should have it taken off him at this point.

Dante

Average bang
It would be different in this case as I said Maguire, a new player should not have been given the armband in the first place.

Nothing about him is more captain than a Lindelof, Paul or even De Gea; on the field he talks less than all of them.

He shouldn't have it taken off him, in the same way as it shouldn't have been taken off Pogba.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
I swear you’d see less hate towards our players on a sodding Liverpool forum than you do on here. At worst he’s pushed a cop and drunkenly offered a bribe. At best he’s had a run in with some very dodgy characters who assaulted his sister, he’s then been targeted due to his status and set up. In either of these scenarios he hasn’t exactly committed crime of the century.

Squeaky Bumtime

He shouldn't have it taken off him, in the same way as it shouldn't have been taken off Pogba.
Pogba was captain for what one game or 2. It was some sort of move by Mourinho to make peace with him but it went wrong to put it mildly. He shouldn't have got it and even if Maguire was stripped of captaincy which some posters so dearly want Pogba isn't the one who should get it back.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time

Alternatively, he'd done enough in 6 months to establish himself as the leader in the dressing room and therefore it was felt he was the best of what can only be described as a bunch of bad options.

Jezpeza

Went on a holiday to Riga in Latvia a few years ago, on night one we were lucky to escape from some seriously heavy Armenian mobsters. Another time on a skiing holiday in Bulgaria we happened to be in the same venue as Albania gangsters and saw them throwing their weight around. Both times us speaking English caught their attention and they got aggressive with us thinking we were English. Once they realized we weren't it calmed down enough for us to leave.. What happened in Riga was like something out of a crap gangster movie and I was sure we were gonna get buried in some forest. On both occasions, locals told us afterwards if the cops had gotten involved we were done for, as they are in each others pockets. I can easily see how the corrupt cops and coked up mobsters theory doing the rounds on social media could be accurate.
If the story about the albanians and the injection is true - how convenient undercover police are near albanian traffickers.

Hate cops abroad. In Italy On the piss I once picked up a random plastic dolphin statue from Outside another hotel a few hundred yards down from my hotel and left it in the lobby and went to bed. Next thing I know the police are in my room at 4am. I apologised and carried it back. They then confiscated my passport and made me get in the back of a police car and drove me round for ages saying they hate scummy little drunk englishman ruining their country and a whole host of shit about my ‘serious’ crime. I think they were waiting for me to kick off about the passport or offer a bribe to escalate the situation. When i didnt they just dropped me back by the hotel. They just want to nick a brit.

Dante

Average bang
Pogba was captain for what one game or 2. It was some sort of move by Mourinho to make peace with him but it went wrong to put it mildly. He shouldn't have got it and even if Maguire was stripped of captaincy which some posters so dearly want Pogba isn't the one who should get it back.
@Clermontois is just being anti-Pogba by defending Mourinho for taking the captaincy off him.

RUCK4444

I swear you’d see less hate towards our players on a sodding Liverpool forum than you do on here. At worst he’s pushed a cop and drunkenly offered a bribe. At best he’s had a run in with some very dodgy characters who assaulted his sister, he’s then been targeted due to his status and set up. In either of these scenarios he hasn’t exactly committed crime of the century.
To be honest if his sister was involved and he didn’t throw his weight around to protect his family I’d be more ashamed of him.

This will be ancient history by the time the season starts and Ole will stick with his captain after ‘having a strong chat about what’s expected of him in his free time.’

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
So he's defened his sister who was injected with something and then the police have tried to end his career.

People still calling for him to be sold though, yeah?

They are. I can show you many videos with Police brutally beating people and their defence is always something like this: "we didn't beat him, he fell over!" or "he attacked us first" despite videos showing the exact opposite.
A good friend of mine went through almost the exact same thing as Maguire in Greece. Arrested for a minor 'crime' and then threatened and intimidated by the police, loads more random charges laid on, false statements sent to the British press, and finally let go with nothing more than a forced public apology and a large fine.

I would not trust a word they say and it makes me question ever going there.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
So he's defened his sister who was injected with something and then the police have tried to end his career.

People still calling for him to be sold though, yeah?
We have dreadful ‘fans’

meamth

Don't know why I couldn't care less about this issue.

Maybe because Maguire can have whatever court issues (not the serious ones) of the field and just do good job for the team? I guess.

ZupZup

A couple of mates had a similar issue in Riga... were marched to a cash point and made to draw out all their money at knife point. They bumped into another lad on the flight home who found himself in a similar situation but said he didn't have any money to give them.... they beat him up till he literally shit himself. His face was a mess, he was bruised all over and had a broken leg.

Untd55

Why do people always take sides in these things? There are a lot of people saying they don't believe that Maguire would do this, but why? You don't know him. He could very well have done all the things stated, or maybe some, or maybe none.

If it is true about the drug, then defending your sister is fine, but that doesn't make punching a police officer ok.

Why do people go on holidays to these crapholes anyway? They are just full of trash. One of my friends was bottled around the head on the only drinking holiday abroad I ever went on; never wanted to go on one again. Not at all enjoyable.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Why do people always take sides in these things? There are a lot of people saying they don't believe that Maguire would do this, but why? You don't know him. He could very well have done all the things stated, or maybe some, or maybe none.

If it is true about the drug, then defending your sister is fine, but that doesn't make punching a police officer ok.

Why do people go on holidays to these crapholes anyway? They are just full of trash. One of my friends was bottled around the head on the only drinking holiday abroad I ever went on; never wanted to go on one again. Not at all enjoyable.
Greece is lovely but as anywhere abroad be warey of the police.

NotThatSoph

Probably, several managers have mentioned that they appreciated the fact that SAF would have a glass of wine with them after games. Being a great host goes a long way when it comes to building good relationships and while you shouldn't do it just for self interest it will definitely play in your favour at some point, humans are easily influenced and they like to compare situations.
This is why I don't understand why footballers go-to behaviour is to constantly whine and rage at the referee. I get that the whole 'surround the ref' thing can influence them by the immense pressure, but in most situations when they're just running their mouths that's not the case.

Surely if you have a good relationship with a ref you'll have a better chance of things going your way. Not because the refs will act corrupt on your behalf, but because how you view someone will inevitably influence how you perceive their actions.

YAMS49

Ah this again.... More complete rubbish I'm afraid. Maguire is twice the leader Pogba will ever be. Pogba, while a clearly superior player, is never a natural leader of a team.

Clermontois

Supports
France
Unless you are Mourinho's auntie how would you know why he made him captain? Funny Ole was talking about Paul being captain as well.

No one wants Paul to dearly get the captaincy back any more than you dearly want Maguire to keep it without merit.

If any of Paul, Marcus Rashford or De Gea takes it off Maguire that would be fitting.

Alternatively, he'd done enough in 6 months to establish himself as the leader in the dressing room and therefore it was felt he was the best of what can only be described as a bunch of bad options.
No player should get the armband when he is new. Does more harm than good.

Ah this again.... More complete rubbish I'm afraid. Maguire is twice the leader Pogba will ever be. Pogba, while a clearly superior player, is never a natural leader of a team.
You follow up the word rubbish with a sentence full of it.

Matriac

I think Pogba is a great motivator, and that it helps he has his achievements (trophies) and skill to back him up if he's making a rousing pre-game or halftime speech. He is a leader in this sense.

But on the field is a different thing. We want him to be trying spectacular passes and moments of brilliance. But he can't be chewing out someone for losing focus if Paul just lost the ball a few times not long ago.

Withnail

I've held off commenting on this before the details came out but fecking hell this went from lads on a piss to human trafficking and police corruption real quick.

A friend of mine went to Greece, got racially abused and got pickpocketed. Place sounds like a real shithole.
Like that never happens within 10 miles of all of our houses.

dev1l

Yes they should do the trial in English in a foreign country, makes a lot of sense that. Maybe in the UK trials should be in foreign languages too if a foreigner goes to court...
True but you cannot assume a fair trial when some document related to the evidence were given to defence a couple of hours before.
And why all the hurry?

I suspect that the Greeks want to cover this up as fast as possible due to bad publicity and at the same time they don't want the police to be seen under bad light.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
A much more important question is why is Maguire being called up for the Nations Cup. Who cares about this competition and players need a rest before the next campaign starts.

Status
Not open for further replies.