Harry Maguire involved in incident with police in Greece - conviction nullified by appeal, full retrial pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
He's already home and his lawyer is there dealing with it for him, he's already pleaded not guilty.

I don't think Maguire will let this go without fighting it, and I don't blame him. Sounds like shoddy Police work to me!
If the story is true then maybe I would do the same. However I find it hard to believe. I hope he didn't hired a lawyer who wants to milk this for publicity.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Probably resulting in a fine but not jail though? Can't imagine him having to spend actual jail time.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Guys, I think what this thread needs right now is for more people to tell us their incredibly boring travel stories and for the person to make judgements about those countries based on incredibly small anecdotal evidence.
You joke but I went to Athens around 400BC just about the time the Delian League was getting ideas a little above their station. There I was hanging out at some rundown Irish pub when a large number of skirmishers and missile-armed troops accosted me to ask if I would join them in battle. In my drunken reverie, I thought them mere tourists, partaking in the age-old tradition of getting dressed up for a night on the town. Little did I know the truth because somewhere between my fifth and twelth glass of wine, these scoundrels had convinced me to travel with them to take on a group known as Sparta. 'Sure', I said, thinking it was code word for local club or something. Them's were my single days and I thought of naught by the possibility of fine ladies. Upon arrival, I found nothing akin to the scent of female flesh. Instead, it was the fierce charge of battle which made it's way upon my person. We fought all night guided in strategy by a very vocal chap for Pericles. It was all great fun.

That's when I learned that those Greeks can be a little crazy, what with their shields and pointy spears and such.

I know the trial is ongoing but Maguire's got off pretty lucky. Our war went on for decades.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
I thought the charges had been downgraded to misdemeanours..?

Guilty of aggravated assault surely carries a heavy sentence?

I still don't think something adds up with this case though. Greek police vs English man in a greek court.

Flytan

Of course and it's blatant.
I don't remember the Sterling stuff but pretty sure most people were assuming Maguire was guilty originally and then when his lawyers mentioned all the stuff perception changed. So not entirely accurate (at least from what I gathered). Also from what I can tell most people outside of the specific media mentioned were aligned with Sterling correct?

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
There’s a difference between going out and having fun and engaging in criminal behaviour.
We all know Maguire most likely won't be spending actual jail time.

Most likely a huge fine and public apology or whatever.

stu_1992

Wow found guilty. Alright then. The details of the court case today seemed dodgy at best. Guess we'll see what happens now.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Of course and it's blatant.
Is it across all media, or it's only one of many? Is it like in the Caf, one or a few posters made a ridiculous comment, then the other poster start claiming all Caf hold the same view? Sorry I'm not following UK press.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Wow found guilty. Alright then. The details of the court case today seemed dodgy at best. Guess we'll see what happens now.
As I said he was always going to be found guilty. No way in hell would they allow their police to be shown as corrupt. He had no chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.