Harry Maguire involved in incident with police in Greece - conviction nullified by appeal, full retrial pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
He's on the phone with Ashley Cole as we speak getting tips on how to sneak his mobile into the jailhouse.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Errrm, why? Pogba has not got a captain's bone in his body. Been there, done that, it failed.

i agree with this. As mad as it sounds it has to be Bruno next if we were to switch and think about it. over the last 6 years have we brought in or let go of any leader types? Just Herrera untill Ole brought in maguire and Bruno....
Imagine waiting in a cell for Woodward to pay the bribery fee. He will be in a Greek cell 6 months deep by the time Ed picks up the phone.

Feck he will come home fat with a Greek accent.

We could call him ‘my big fat Greek centre back’

very good!

While obviously this is pure crap behaviour and maguire should know better it feels like a one off. He doesn’t seem like the going out looking for trouble kind of person. Let’s see what the fall out is and take it from there. Strip him of the captaincy? It could prove to be a master stroke of management from Ole to stick with him through this. Not many other options for captain anyway. Probably Bruno who’s been here 6 months next... this bloody club...

Ed can western union the bail money on deadline day :nervous:

always_hoping

We've had previous captains do worse than this. Why the clamour to strip him of captaincy?
I don't recall worse. Fights can happen but bribery shouldn't sit well with anyone what an idiot. He can't remain captain after this as simple as that

Gasolin

When?

You’re literally claiming this to be something that would occur if you went out on the lash regularly, leading to a simple slap on the wrist etc. :lol:. You couldn’t normalise the aggravated assault and bribery more if you tried.

I mean I know you’re saying it mostly in jest, or at least I hope :lol:, but I don’t think it’s right to play it down as a nothingness/every night on the lash occurrence.

The charges are serious, and should be treated as such. It may well be that something dodgy is at play here, but we have to take the guilty verdict right now and he has to be punished by the club accordingly, until any other evidence/developments arise. When/if they do then he can be handed back captaincy etc.

But until that moment, as a club, they can’t disrespect the judicial system of another country and effectively accuse them of lying by not punishing Maguire as if he is 100% guilty.
No way, I would not strip the captaincy until the judgement goes into the appeal at the very least, and hopefully the lawyers fight this. And this is normal: no legal process is final until you've been through all the appeals. And this time, I hope the defense present the proofs they have properly.

That's the normal way to handle legal processes.

AC1689

Obviously a sham trial and off the scale levels of corruption, no surprise in that part of the world.

No doubt the boozed up group including Harry did some shitty things, after scumbags drugged his sister which mitigates it quite a bit. Then some scummy bent police turned up and failed to handle it properly. The court then promptly cover up for the police's failings. They get a nice fat payday to round it off. The end.
Or they could have just accepted a hefty bribe and heard nothing more of it? No publicity, nothing.

Or you believe they are even more corrupt than that by somehow thinking it was sensible to reject a large bribe, take it to court, and create a publicity storm around it, potentially damaging the tourism in their own district?

Makes perfect sense!

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Embarrassing really. It’s not fecking hard to keep out of trouble when you have the money he does. Idiot.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
This is just such a horrific look. As a club, we’d been fantastic throughout this pandemic, and then our club captain goes and does this.
Question the veracity of the Greek judicial system all you please, it doesn’t make this any less scandalous from Maguire.
I think he is guilty of everything he has been charged with and can imagine it happening, when he was drunk and in a highly emotional state.

The Albanian and his sister is also most likely true, but that has nothing to do with these charges, which were a separate event, and have been proven in a court of law.

But English men think fighting is normal and just for banz, and any foreign cop who doubts that much be corrupt. :houllier:

AC1689

Honestly have a word with yourself.

You really think you can prove aggravated assault and bribery in a one day trial? :lol:

Some of yous have your panties in a bunch over nothing.
I have never once mentioned anything in relation to what you’re now spewing. Deary me. Talk about moving the goalposts. Show me where I’m discussing the verdict and time taken to reach it, rather than discussing you claiming that assault is part and parcel of any Friday/Saturday night out on the lash.

macheda14

The same people who were laughing at Liverpool fans with Suarez years ago are probably the same now saying "He's been stitched up!"
There's a huge difference between believing a black man when he says he's been the victim of racist abuse and believing a copper when he says he's been hit by a professional footballer.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Thinking Maguire behaved terribly and saying the trial was a shame are not mutual exclusive.
Just look at the details and process of the case. His guilt or not is irrelevant because the process was nonsense and likely corrupt.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information

FFS. What a joke of a court system.

The whole thing is a farce.

Shark

@NotShark
Loads of his ex-team mates etc, most notably Rio, has said he isn't this nice guy everyone thinks he is because he has a babyface.

Just look at how he's dealt with players he didn't want at the club. There's no reason to believe he's a nice guy who doesn't lay down the law.
The players he let go are probably more useful than the ones he's let stay. Didn't he extend Mata and Jones' contract also?

Gasolin

How can you have 3 serious offences like that go away, including bribery, if Maguire just said sorry? You have to admit this is not a normal judiciary system. It has nothing to do with blind support. It's just not possible to get away of that with by just saying sorry. Or it was nothing to begin with.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Thinking Maguire behaved terribly and saying the trial was a shame are not mutual exclusive.
Just look at the details and process of the case. His guilt or not is irrelevant because the process was nonsense and likely corrupt.
Agree. Harry should have been more sensible, but the way the trial has been held is disgusting. I think they have made sure no rich footballers will be going there again.

BiggusCrickus

Rip up his contract he probably has broken terms and conditions of his contract so you could fire him without paying him a penny and let him rot

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
There's a huge difference between believing a black man when he says he's been the victim of racist abuse and believing a copper when he says he's been hit by a professional footballer.
What's the difference? Why would you believe one more over the other? Specifically Evra - Maguire scenario, or in all of them (different players)?

Sweet Square

Ha ha!

Maguire should not have even allowed himself to be in that situation. Absolute stupidity. And it shows the players don't have anywhere near the same fear/respect they did with Fergie.

Ole will have to start laying down the law. Mr nice guy won't be enough to manage this situation. I wonder if he has it in his locker?
Possibly although Fergie had to personal go to the station in order to pick Keane up after he was arrested for allegedly kicking a woman. I'm pretty this happened on the same week as the FA Cup final in 99.

Keane was still United captain afterwards. But yeah it's put Ole into a difficult situation.

It's literally 10 times more likely that the police were working with the scumbags who attacked his sister. They're genuinely that bad.
Or what if the fabricated it to create the heaviest penalties, and then use their weird system of converting it into heavy fines to get paid?
It was just a joke.

:(

Mastadon

Supports
Arsenal
It’s entirely possible they are. Why is that so hard to believe? We have two police officers word against Maguire who is claiming they hit him. According to the defence there is video showing Maguire being mistreated at the station. The request to delay for this evidence to be reviewed was rejected. The defence were only told two hours before the hearing what the charges were that they were defending against. The entire thing sounds like a bit of a sham.
I come from a part of the world where crooked cops are a staple so I’ve had my fair shares of run ins with them and one thing I know is that these types of cops will rarely if ever go out of their way to fix you up if there is nothing in it for them.
The main question I would have is why would the police go out of their way to get Harry in trouble when there is nothing in it for them? Usually this type of affair ends with a nice payment being made at the station and you never hear about it again.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
So if they can find him guilty without a properly prepared trial in such quick time how come they have not annouced the punishment yet?

Maybe they need a replacement battery for the calculator.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Honestly have a word with yourself.

You really think you can prove aggravated assault and bribery in a one day trial? :lol:

Some of yous have your panties in a bunch over nothing.
So you’ve gone from “just a typical night out” to “well you can’t prove it anyway “ :lol:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
People just casually brush over his sister maybe have been injected with a daterape drug
People on here seem to be in 2 very distinct camps without any middle ground.

The "sack him" what a disgrace types, and the "this is clearly a joke" camp.

DeGea

Why did he not say sorry and instead offered money? Surely the former is easier to do, not to mention cheaper? Offering bribes means you do not have integrity.
This is unbecoming of a United captain I have to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.