Harry Maguire involved in incident with police in Greece - conviction nullified by appeal, full retrial pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bosws87

To be honest, if I was the Maguires lawyer, I would seriously think twice before advising Harry and his siblings to go back to Greece, testify under oath and undergo thorough cross-examination. The battle lines are now clearly drawn, and chances are it is going to end very badly for the Maguires, especially if the prosecution go for the jugular and demand a custodial sentence. This should have been best resolved away from the courtroom especially after the prosecutors said they just wanted an apology to bury the case, but now that chance is gone. After watching Harry's interview I can only wish him the best of luck, he will need it.
Slightly dramatic.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
It's never easy to admit to something you've wrongly accused of, if that's the case, but for the sake of the Club, and himself personally, it would probably be better to apologise to which ever sad sap thinks deserves an apology, talk up how wonderful Greece is, grease a few palms and just focus on the season, a massive season, ahead, and put it all down to experience.

Bosws87

It's never easy to admit to something you've wrongly accused of, if that's the case, but for the sake of the Club, and himself personally, it would probably be better to apologise to which ever sad sap thinks deserves an apology, talk up how wonderful Greece is, grease a few palms and just focus on the season, a massive season, ahead, and put it all down to experience.
You can't just casually admit to bribing police officers, especially if it isn't true with cancel culture they would have his head

Bosws87

He can say sorry for the misunderstanding and put it to bed
Why, hes got zero history of previous crimes or offences, zero evidence of these things hes been charged for in any remotely decent trial hes gonna win and he knows it.

James Peril

To be honest, if I was the Maguires lawyer, I would seriously think twice before advising Harry and his siblings to go back to Greece, testify under oath and undergo thorough cross-examination. The battle lines are now clearly drawn, and chances are it is going to end very badly for the Maguires, especially if the prosecution go for the jugular and demand a custodial sentence. This should have been best resolved away from the courtroom especially after the prosecutors said they just wanted an apology to bury the case, but now that chance is gone. After watching Harry's interview I can only wish him the best of luck, he will need it.
People are watching way too many documentaries on Netflix these days, this isn’t Steven Avery and his cousin. As for Maguire, stay away from Greece and the available British pubs on your future holidays. Pretty embarrassing that this is our headline so far this summer. Other clubs are buying players and back in pre-season, we haven’t signed a single player and spend all time bailing out a pissed up player for prison abroad. After all that was needed after last season, you really couldn’t make this up. Well, we weren’t winning the league anyway

Che Guevara

Supports
Celtic
Exactly. It's very easy to characterise a drunken brawl as a misunderstanding, offer an apology and bury the matter. But it needlessly gets a lot more complicated when egos get in the way.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Maguire was charged of aggravated assault, verbal abuse, resisting arrest and bribery.

The prosecution attorney Dr Ioannis Paradissis literally offered Maguire a way out: There is still time for the three defendants to say they are sorry, then the outcome might be different because under Greek law you can withdraw some accusations concerning non-aggravated bodily harm and concerning the verbal assault, the insults shouted at the policemen."

That would leave the resisting arrest and bribery charges. Resisting arrest could be mitigated by mistaken identity ("I never knew they were cops and thought I was being kidnapped") and bribery could be explained away by mis-translations ("I was asking if I could pay a fine"). Both parties save face, Maguire invites the officers over to watch a game, and the matter is done. It seems that is what Paradissis was trying to achieve, which is good of him given he is the prosecution.

But nope, his advisors made him go billy big bollox on the BBC!! :houllier:

The only way he can now win is if the Greek police are humiliated on the global stage - as you say, it's never going to happen. I think Greek media and society would also back their police (and honour) in this instance, no matter how corrupt they may generally be.

Last edited:

Class of 63

Sourness
You can't just casually admit to bribing police officers, especially if it isn't true with cancel culture they would have his head
If he apologised for it, it wouldn't go to court so that wouldn't be an issue, and the rest i'd hazard a guess that more than 50% of all prisoners worldwide have pleaded guilty to crimes they didn't commit to get a lesser sentence.

Flanders Devil

This I couldn’t agree with more. They had an out. And maybe he doesn’t feel fret about saying sorry because he didn’t feel he did anything wrong. But even his sorry could’ve been a caveated one.

now he has to deal with this situation.

I’d have said sorry and then never to go back to Greece. As beautiful as some of the islands are there, I’m sure he can find similar holiday spots elsewhere.

MoskvaRed

If he apologised for it, it wouldn't go to court so that wouldn't be an issue, and the rest i'd hazard a guess that more than 50% of all prisoners worldwide have pleaded guilty to crimes they didn't commit to get a lesser sentence.
It’s not a good look for United to have its captain admitting to trying to bribe public officials. He can maybe apologise for a misunderstanding arising from confusion and fear but that’s about it.

Mercurial

In another time line he could have went with a better more professional version of : Sorry officers for the misunderstanding! I had a run in with some men of low moral fiber earlier in the evening and was under great duress and fearing for my family. We thought we were heading to the hospital and that you were said evildoers in hot pursuit and due to not understanding you were actually police, we were therefor fighting for survival! I ran to call my agent to make sure Interpol could get a heads up and send help or triangulate my call and didn't mean to put your blessed hearts under pressure or make you sweat chasing me.
I have great admiration for the food, culture and the fantastic underpaid work you under cover beat cops do with all the drunks and risk takers bringing covid 19 to your island and didn't want to add to your burdens, we came in peace and regret having to go back in pieces and hope things can be good between us and that I can visit this paradiseon earth in the future in good standing!...here are tickets to our private box for the entire station next season. yada yada focus on next season, dont go on national tv to be tabloid fodder for gossip hungry twitter mob... don't talk more about it, chalk up to what happens in Mykonos stays in Mykonos and gain hard man points.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
No I wasn't but I've heard from the person who was getting their legs smashed
How did that start happening? Did they run at him as he got out of the car and boot him in the shins or was there a misunderstanding that they were police and a scuffle first?
I’m not defending them kicking him but sometimes things happen from misunderstandings you can apologise about and move on.

I don’t know what Harry wants from pursuing with it. To clear his name, when most believe him anyway. For an apology from Greek police? Seems pointless. I just think it’s all blown out of proportion, but then we don’t know how really hurt Maguire Is by this police treatment and it’s gone too far now

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
In another time line he could have went with a better more professional version of : Sorry officers for the misunderstanding! I had a run in with some men of low moral fiber earlier in the evening and was under great duress and fearing for my family. We thought we were heading to the hospital and that you were said evildoers in hot pursuit and due to not understanding you were actually police, we were therefor fighting for survival! I ran to call my agent to make sure Interpol could get a heads up and send help or triangulate my call and didn't mean to put your blessed hearts under pressure or make you sweat chasing me.
I have great admiration for the food, culture and the fantastic underpaid work you under cover beat cops do with all the drunks and risk takers bringing covid 19 to your island and didn't want to add to your burdens, we came in peace and regret having to go back in pieces and hope things can be good between us and that I can visit this paradiseon earth in the future in good standing!...here are tickets to our private box for the entire station next season. yada yada focus on next season, dont go on national tv to be tabloid fodder for gossip hungry twitter mob... don't talk more about it, chalk up to what happens in Mykonos stays in Mykonos and gain hard man points.
Yeah, something like that

Class of 63

Sourness
It’s not a good look for United to have its captain admitting to trying to bribe public officials. He can maybe apologise for a misunderstanding arising from confusion and fear but that’s about it.
Apologise out of court, go back to Greece if need be, offer to take those accusing him of bribery and their families out for a meal, and then slip a load of Senokot in their food when they are not looking.

Class of 63

Sourness
Nailed it.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I have great admiration for the food, culture and the fantastic underpaid work you under cover beat cops do with all the drunks and risk takers bringing covid 19 to your island and didn't want to add to your burdens, we came in peace and regret having to go back in pieces and hope things can be good between us and that I can visit this paradise on earth in the future in good standing!...here are tickets to our private box for the entire station next season. yada yada focus on next season, dont go on national tv to be tabloid fodder for gossip hungry twitter mob... don't talk more about it, chalk up to what happens in Mykonos stays in Mykonos and gain hard man points.
Very well articulated. That's exactly what he should have done, because I think the actual truth on what happened is the first paragraph of your post.

The cops concerned are likely simple island guys who have to put up with pissed up foreigners every summer. By going to appeal against them, Maguire will attempt to strip them (and all of Mykonos) of all their honour. Totally unnecessary.

I don't blame Maguire for the incident, it just happened, but he has been really badly advised since. Poor guy is now stuck in a shitstorm that could so easily have been avoided.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
I still have no idea what to make of this or if we can ever expect to get to the truth.
The truth will never come out. The best defence lawyers will see to that which is why we should give Maguire the benefit of the doubt and just move on. His status is back to innocent again so he should be treated as such. Not really that big a deal in the grand scheme of things anyway.

Zen86

The cops concerned are likely simple island guys who have to put up with pissed up foreigners every summer. By going to appeal against them, Maguire will attempt to strip them (and all of Mykonos) of all their honour. Totally unnecessary.

I don't blame Maguire for the incident, it just happened, but he has been really badly advised since. Poor guy is now stuck in a shitstorm that could so easily have been avoided.
And so he should. He should take them to the cleaners.

Revan

Assumptionman
You realize that Greece is not a third-world country, right? And even if you don't, you realize that they are in EU? Which means that they will issue an international arrest for him if he decides to not show up, and the moment Maguire sets foot out of UK, he would get arrested.

Comet49

Already 107 pages and possibly another year to go before the second verdict. None of us know what really happened, hopefully when the season starts this thread will slow down but I’m doubtful. Time will tell as they say..

Last edited:

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Saying sorry for being kicked, arrested, being told that your career is over & charged for something he didn't do? I understand what you meant but you also need to understand that this guy is so pissed at how the polices have treated him.

Status
Not open for further replies.