Harry Maguire involved in incident with police in Greece - conviction nullified by appeal, full retrial pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Donald Silverbridge

I felt sorry for him last night, I want him to get help, And I'm sure the club will sort something out regarding that, He has my support.

Posh Red

If you're lieing you certainly don't go on national news and tell a completely made up story. No one subjects themselves to that if they're lieing, you give body language analysts and experts everywhere free range to analyse you. It smacks more of this is being wrongly reported and the Greece police are corrupt i'm going straight to the news to tell people what really happened.
Whilst I don’t think Harry is lying, have you heard of this guy called Prince Andrew before?

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
The Greek lawyer who led the prosecution against Harry Maguire has hit out at the footballer's "ridiculous" account of his arrest.

Prosecution lawyer Ioannis Paradissis described Mr Maguire's account of the events as "ridiculous" and "unbelievable". "I've seen and read what Maguire said and it's ridiculous and only adds further insult to the harm he caused the policemen he attacked and the Greek justice system as a whole," he told MailOnline.

"Maguire claims that he feared he was being kidnapped yet his response is to run away and call his agent, leaving behind his fiancé, brothers and sister and childhood friends. Even if you accepted this as true, which I don't, these are not the actions of an honourable man. If I was his fiancé or any of the others in the group, I would be very angry with him for leaving them behind and would want him to do some explaining."

Mr Paradissis called for Mr Maguire to apologise for his behaviour. "Where is our apology for his behaviour? Three policemen were injured and had to be treated at hospital," he said. "A rich man came to Mykonos and thought that he could behave how he wants. He then goes on an international television channel to justify his actions and there is not a single sorry to us in anything he says."

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/harry-maguire-mykonos-lawyer-ridiculous-account-a4535466.html

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
The Greek lawyer who led the prosecution against Harry Maguire has hit out at the footballer's "ridiculous" account of his arrest.

Prosecution lawyer Ioannis Paradissis described Mr Maguire's account of the events as "ridiculous" and "unbelievable". "I've seen and read what Maguire said and it's ridiculous and only adds further insult to the harm he caused the policemen he attacked and the Greek justice system as a whole," he told MailOnline.

"Maguire claims that he feared he was being kidnapped yet his response is to run away and call his agent, leaving behind his fiancé, brothers and sister and childhood friends. Even if you accepted this as true, which I don't, these are not the actions of an honourable man. If I was his fiancé or any of the others in the group, I would be very angry with him for leaving them behind and would want him to do some explaining."

Mr Paradissis called for Mr Maguire to apologise for his behaviour. "Where is our apology for his behaviour? Three policemen were injured and had to be treated at hospital," he said. "A rich man came to Mykonos and thought that he could behave how he wants. He then goes on an international television channel to justify his actions and there is not a single sorry to us in anything he says."

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/harry-maguire-mykonos-lawyer-ridiculous-account-a4535466.html
Is he suggesting that 1) Maguire's entourage wouldn't be safe in a nightclub in Mykonos and hilariously 2) that Maguire hospitalized 3 policemen? :lol:

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
@sammsky1 What gives the prosecution's word more weight over the defendant's for you? You seem adamant that the prosecution's words can be taken as evidence by virtue of their role in society (i.e. law enforcement).

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
@sammsky1 What gives the prosecution's word more weight over the defendant's for you? You seem adamant that the prosecution's words can be taken as evidence by virtue of their role in society (i.e. law enforcement).
Where have I said that? I've posted both accounts, just as a way of contributing to the thread.

I've lived in countries with some of the most corrupt police on the planet. Generally speaking, they dont just make shit up from nothing. It always starts from an incident. They may embellish a situation to extract small bribes or exaggerate evidence to ensure 'punishment' for someone they think is breaking a law. But I've never come across an incident personally or reported in media where cops just make up shit from nothing. Maguire's BBC interview was abit like Cummings one: it was extremely calibrated to only mention things that cannot be disproven, whilst leaving huge gaps on the areas are the crux of the matter.

On the matter itself, I think Maguire has broken some laws, namely he was violent towards a police officer and probably offered a bribe. It now upto mitigating factors or lack of evidence to see if can escape those charges.

Is he suggesting that 1) Maguire's entourage wouldn't be safe in a nightclub in Mykonos and hilariously 2) that Maguire hospitalized 3 policemen? :lol:
On first point) no idea, was just sharing his quotes
Second point) As you know prosecution claim an officer received medical help and a pain killing injection. Am sure they will have that evidence.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
It's even more ridiculous someone believes in that kind of statements.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Where have I said that? I've posted both accounts, just as a way of contributing to the thread.

I've lived in countries with some of the most corrupt police on the planet. Generally speaking, they dont just make shit up from nothing. They may embellish a situation to extract small bribes or exaggerate evidence to ensure 'punishment' for someone they think is breaking a law. But I've never come across an incident personally or reported in media where cops just make up shit from nothing. Maguire's BBC interview was abit like Cummings one: it was extremely calibrated to only mention things that cannot be disproven, whilst leaving huge gaps on the areas are the crux of the matter.

On the matter itself, I think Maguire has broken some laws, namely he was violent towards a police officer and probably offered a bribe. It now upto mitigating factors or lack of evidence to see if can escape those charges.
:lol: Yes they do. I grew up in that kind of country.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt

I've lived in countries with some of the most corrupt police on the planet. Generally speaking, they dont just make shit up from nothing. They may embellish a situation to extract small bribes or exaggerate evidence to ensure 'punishment' for someone they think is breaking a law. But I've never come across an incident personally or reported in media where cops just make up shit from nothing. Maguire's BBC interview was abit like Cummings one: it was extremely calibrated to only mention things that cannot be disproven, whilst leaving huge gaps on the areas are the crux of the matter.

Second point) As you know prosecution claim an officer received medical help and a pain killing injection. Am sure they will have that evidence.
In Nigeria, police make shit up all the time. There are literally cases in developed countries of police going to jail for making shit up.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
:lol: Yes they do. I grew up in that kind of country.
In Nigeria, police make shit up all the time. There are literally cases in developed countries of police going to jail for making shit up.
Thats not my experience. Show me some examples please. Of police inventing a charge from nothing.
And with respect, Greece is a long way away in corruption index than Nigeria

Anyway, thats not true here, as Maguire was involved in an altercation with police, that is not under debate.

Last edited:

Matriac

Well this is truly all of Maguire's arguments out the window, this is the most obvious police station I have ever seen. How could he see this even in the dark and not understand he was in safe hands.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout

You may not have stated that, but that's the vibe that I'm getting (interestingly, I've felt that from your response to me as well).

It seems like you're basing your point of view on your own experiences. You haven't necessarily experienced a significant amount of injustice (if any) from law enforcement based on what you're saying. However, I don't necessarily think that law enforcement can be trusted to not embellish or even forge evidences/testimonies. We've seen cases of this in the past. Heck, I've personally experienced this in the past.

That's why I can't just necessarily trust law enforcement as much as you do.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Well this is truly all of Maguire's arguments out the window, this is the most obvious police station I have ever seen. How could he see this even in the dark and not understand he was in safe hands.
:lol: :D It looks like those shady gas station store when driving in remote small town.

Tarrou

Show me some examples please. Thats not my experience.
And with respect, Greece is a long way away in corruption index than Nigeria
Do you honestly need examples of cops making stuff up to know that it happens ?

Mercurial

The prosecutors assistant lawyer that managed the case (above guy) has recieved a lot of abuse on his email and even death threats from online griefers that say they are fans of Maguire and MUFC. The whole of this incident has totally derailed into a shambolic state.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
You may not have stated, but that's the vibe that I'm getting (interestingly, I've felt that from your response to me as well).

It seems like you're basing your point of view on your own experiences. You haven't necessarily experienced a significant amount of injustice (if any) from law enforcement based on what you're saying. However, I don't necessarily think that law enforcement can be trusted to not embellish or even forge evidences/testimonies. We've seen cases of this in the past. Heck, I've personally experienced this in the past.

That's why I can't just necessarily trust law enforcement as much as you do.
I don't believe Maguire is wholly innocent. That's been my opinion all along and Ive seen or heard nothing to change my mind.
You are welcome to cynical about every cop in the world. I'm not.

LoneStar

Wait, did he equate Maguire leaving his family in some nightclub to him being a dishonourable man? What kind of argument is that?

tbh, I don’t know whats happening in this saga. Since when did his family get involved in this? Thought he was partying with his mates or something.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
The prosecutors assistant lawyer that managed the case (above guy) has recieved a lot of abuse on his email and even death threats from online griefers that say they are fans of Maguire and MUFC. The whole of this incident has totally derailed into a shambolic state.
But it's OK cos he's our 'arry, England's finest innit. Rule Britannia.

And they are just corrupt and slimy foreign kops. 3rd world fecking country.

Proud to be the Brexit FC. Barmy Army

Last edited:

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Wait, did he equate Maguire leaving his family in some nightclub to him being a dishonourable man? What kind of argument is that?

tbh, I don’t know whats happening in this saga. Since when did his family get involved in this? Thought he was partying with his mates or something.
Yes that and he is desperate for an apology. Seems more important to him than the actual events. No idea how people can take such a prosecution lawyer seriously.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

I've lived in countries with some of the most corrupt police on the planet. Generally speaking, they dont just make shit up from nothing. It always starts from an incident. They may embellish a situation to extract small bribes or exaggerate evidence to ensure 'punishment' for someone they think is breaking a law. But I've never come across an incident personally or reported in media where cops just make up shit from nothing. Maguire's BBC interview was abit like Cummings one: it was extremely calibrated to only mention things that cannot be disproven, whilst leaving huge gaps on the areas are the crux of the matter.

Just to say that bold bit is BS. I remember my dad aged 55 at the time, drove me around Tanzania (where he was born) and the police offer threatened arrest because he "was underage". Unless he paid up, of course.
Police offers make shit up all the time in these countries.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

They were all going home in the minibus. Before they got into the van a policeman told the driver secretely to take them to the police station instead of their base. (he was parked up waiting for them outside the night club)

The minibus arrived at the "police station" and that's when the police confronted Maguire and got them off the bus and attempted to arrest them. Maguire ran away thinking he was being kidnapped.

I posted above a picture of Mykonos police station.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Just to say that bold bit is BS. I remember my dad aged 55 at the time, drove me around Tanzania (where he was born) and the police offer threatened arrest because he "was underage". Unless he paid up, of course.
Police offers make shit up all the time in these countries.
How was the cop going to prove your 55 old father as underage? Underage for what?

PS: I spent 4 months in Arusha and loved it. Cops were great too. Visited the Serengeti MUFC supporters club and even watched a game with them.
This is Manchester United Fan Club in rural Arusha, near the Serengeti in Tanzania (i.e. the middle of nowhere). They have live screening on match days, so lucky for me, I've found a place where I can watch the game with fellow Reds! The knowledge of some of these fans is as good as many fans from UK. Our global reach is just mindblowing.

Last edited:

Drainy

The honourable prosecutor who doesn't send a brief until 2 hours before a hearing and then doesn't consent to a postponement.

Cry some more.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Maguire is from Sheffield. South Yorkshire police there have lived a lie for decades!! All of them lie to protect themselves.
Sammsky is just off his rocker.
Which lie did they invent from absolutely nothing? That was my statement.
There have been incidents of controversy from which they exaggerated or embellished to save their arses, or profit from.
In Maguire's case there are two fights that don't seem to be disputed even by him: after his sister was allegedly spiked and outside the cop station. So the Greek cops are not inventing lies from nothing, are they?

Last edited:

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
How was the cop going to prove your 55 old father as underage? Underage for what?

PS: I spent 4 months in Arusha and loved it. Visited the Serengeti MUFC supporters club and even watched a game with them. Cops were great too.
How have the cops in Mykonos proven that he beat them up put them in the hospital? There should be CCTV for this stuff. I'm quite sure of it - I had my stag in Mykonos, and the video looks like it was the Little Venice area, perhaps in The Toy Room or similar - in any case there tends to be CCTV in the venues.

Drainy

Which lie did they invent from absolutely nothing? That was my statement.
There have been incidents of controversy from which they exaggerated or embellished to sabe their arses, or profit from.
In Maguire's case there are two fights that don't seem to be disputed even by him: after his sister was allegedly spiked and outside the cop station. So the Greek cops are not inventing lies from nothing, are they?
They protect themselves. Just like with this where they bungled the arrest. They likely failed to identify themselves and then got into a scrap and then blamed the victims to protect themselves.

Tale as old as time.

There was talk that the Maguires were looking to sue them for the assault prior to the trial being heard and strangely their petition for the trial to be postponed to consider the brief and their options wasn't granted, eh.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
How have the cops in Mykonos proven that he beat them up put them in the hospital? There should be CCTV for this stuff. I'm quite sure of it - I had my stag in Mykonos, and the video looks like it was the Little Venice area, perhaps in The Toy Room or similar - in any case there tends to be CCTV in the venues.
I guess we will find out at retrial.

I wanted to know more about your fathers case, as you used that as evidence to nullify my earlier statement.

PS: just added photo of Serengeti MUFC club as an edit to my post.

Last edited:

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
They protect themselves. Just like with this where they bungled the arrest. They likely failed to identify themselves and then got into a scrap and then blamed the victims to protect themselves.
Tale as old as time.
There was talk that the Maguires were looking to sue them for the assault prior to the trial being heard and strangely their petition for the trial to be postponed to consider the brief and their options wasn't granted, eh.
I guess we will see in retrial

You quoted S.Yorkshire Police inventing lies from nothing. Wanted to know which those cases were.

Last edited:

Fridge chutney

Yet you were all claiming either bruises clear up by now, or he wasn’t hit hard enough to bruise. And we see one bruise despite Maguire stating “obviously they kept hitting my legs”.
You laughably claimed that no bruises on his leg pointed towards the fact that he was lying. Now a bruise appears on his leg and you're having a meltdown.

Keep the entertainment coming!

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Knowing how rapidly things can go tits up where Brits, drink and the Police are involved anywhere on the Continent I thought it would be much a do about nothing.

But that BBC interview yesterday, baring in mind Maguire is comfortable/confident in front of the camera he looked guilty as sin, it looked as though nearly everything he said was a lie, and he knew it was - I should know I was born looking guilty.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I guess we will find out at retrial.

I wanted to know more about your fathers case, as you used that as evidence to nullify my earlier statement.

PS: just added photo of Serengeti MUFC club as an edit to my post.
Nice pic!

And that's my point these countries don't operate in an innocent till proven guilty approach. If they feel they can get leverage on an outsider they will. The cheek of a copper to try and arrest a 55 year old man for "driving underage" :lol:

The way this case was rushed without proper due diligence is shady at best. Its quite obvious these coppers in Mykonos handled things poorly and are now panicking that he's appealed from the rushed case.

We will see what happens, but I'm still waiting for my response, what exactly did they have on Maguire?

Knowing how rapidly things can go tits up where Brits, drink and the Police are involved anywhere on the Continent I thought it would be much a do about nothing.

But that BBC interview yesterday, baring in mind Maguire is comfortable/confident in front of the camera he looked guilty as sin, it looked as though nearly everything he said was a lie, and he knew it was - I should know I was born looking guilty.
And yet most people who watched it think the opposite of you.

Mercurial

But it's OK cos he's our 'arry, Englands finest and they are just corrupt and slimy foreign kops. Proud to be the Brexit FC. Barmy Army Rule Britannia.
The actions of a bunch of hooligans or cretins doesn't represent a silent majority of normal well mannered, decent people in a nation. Don't really think it's possible to generalize like that!

At the end of the day this whole thing is a massive chain of doubling down at every step and a series of misfortunate escalations and events on all sides. The higher the escalations get the harder it will be to back down on any side. The prosecutors assistant lawyer seem a bit of a Zealot and has taken things too personal to be fair and massively added to the escalation, he even admitted that this was the most high profile case he had. Whatever the cultural norm he isn't exactly Mr Smooth to go making televised statements and fan the flames himself outside the courtroom, it comes off as a bit smug to be frank. If he felt an apology suffices they should have made a plea bargain upfront and buried it cleanly, at the very least he could have supported a day or two to go over the defense request and let cooler heads prevail, the central expert that talked to BBC said the extra time not granted was a bit unusual otherwise it was standard affairs for tourist related incidents, but a person as educated as himself should have realized this is a bit more high profile than a normal drunk lad and granted leeway to defense if it was within his power to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.