Harry Maguire (Out): Chelsea eyeing a shock swoop for Harry Maguire | Utd say not for sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polar

We shouldn’t tie up £40m on a benchplayer or third/forth CB alternative. If Chelsea is interested we should go for a sale or swap deal.

Member 101269

He's considering Chelsea like I am considering Kate Beckinsale.
Doesn't really do alot, aging/not quite what they were and only good for a minor role? that is quite an admission about Chelsea :D

Red00012

Sending Bailly off to France kills any speculation of Maguire leaving .

Polar

Martinez, Varane, Lindelof, Jones, Tuanzebe, Bailly and Maguire, and maybe we have a youngster we can bring up from own ranks to play less important matches?

.. so I’m not worried if we sell two CBs and I prefer we sell Bailly and Maguire - because they aren’t that much better than Lindelof, Jones and Tuanzebe and they like bring in much more money (we can spend more on reinforcement).

AndySmith1990

Unfortunately I think we have to keep him for rotation, as we'd be relying on Jones and Tuanzebe otherwise. But if we could identify a good young defender at a reasonable price who is a good fit for Ten Hags style, then we should absolutely sell him. He's really not a good fit for United at all

CallyRed

60m on Gordon
60m on Maguire.
Chelsea the new Brexit FC

Get it done for Tuchel

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
‘United say not for sale’
Hopefully a bargaining/PR tactic, and not Murtough being an utter idiot
Just can't see the club admitting that they got it so badly wrong, and selling at a huge loss this Summer.

As ETH imposes his style more and more on this team, players like Maguire will have nowhere to hide, they'll be rumbled, and won't get much game time.
Next Summer is more of a possibility to sell, especially if we go back for Jurien Timber with CL football on offer.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Let's not kid ourselves. He's not going anywhere. He's an 80m bench player.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Expectations can do that. Also his mistakes are simply silly. Holding on too long, failure to close down channels. The man became a parody of himself. On any other times, we can help him to pick it up. But its been a decade since we challenge and teams are catching up. There is no time for charity. Just ruthless axing. Worked for other big clubs. Cut your losses and move on. Only here we hold onto failing managers, players and CEOs. Tis but a malaise
The problem with that is that unless you create a decent environment, not many people in life will thrive. So you can cut your losses, but what happens when the next one doesn’t live up to their potential? Then the next?

In pure footballing terms it’s hard to make an argument beyond Varane and Martinez after last night. They looked incredible. I also think Maguire will look good again, whether it’s here or elsewhere

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
The problem with that is that unless you create a decent environment, not many people in life will thrive. So you can cut your losses, but what happens when the next one doesn’t live up to their potential? Then the next?

In pure footballing terms it’s hard to make an argument beyond Varane and Martinez after last night. They looked incredible. I also think Maguire will look good again, whether it’s here or elsewhere
So how many more season you think we can afford to have a captain like him?

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
So how many more season you think we can afford to have a captain like him?
Ultimately it depends if he rediscovers his form, he was good for us for a while despite the current trend of revisionism. The captaincy is a different issue, it should go to someone else if he’s not a first choice (though I’m fecked if I know who, presumably Bruno would get it)

RedorDead21

Ultimately it depends if he rediscovers his form, he was good for us for a while despite the current trend of revisionism. The captaincy is a different issue, it should go to someone else if he’s not a first choice (though I’m fecked if I know who, presumably Bruno would get it)
Since the Greece holiday incident wasn’t it when his form dipped and he never fully recovered? Not sure that form even at his best was in a team playing a high line and wanting to be on the front foot though. I agree with the posters saying he’s an expensive bench option. Would be really solid I’m sure for many teams. Just think even for 40m we could get a CB just as good to rotate in and out. Varane wont stay fit but we don’t want to have to change our approach just to cover up Maguires weak points when called apron.

wire74

william fish played central defender in pre season match before getting sent off

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
The club didnt say he is not for sale. They are playing Chelsea. What they said was not for sail as in McGuire will be Chelsea player for the right price but they wont be sending him via a boat.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Since the Greece holiday incident wasn’t it when his form dipped and he never fully recovered? Not sure that form even at his best was in a team playing a high line and wanting to be on the front foot though. I agree with the posters saying he’s an expensive bench option. Would be really solid I’m sure for many teams. Just think even for 40m we could get a CB just as good to rotate in and out. Varane wont stay fit but we don’t want to have to change our approach just to cover up Maguires weak points when called apron.
His best form came after the Greece incident. Indeed, the only time he put a run of form together that was truly good enough for what we want.

19/20 - He was inconsistent. Some very good, some very bad, mostly bouncing around in the middle.
20/21 - After Greece he was terrible for a couple of months, got back to inconsistent for a couple of months, then was very good in the second half of the season. One of the best in the league during that period. Carried that into the Euro's as well.
21/22 - Absolutely terrible for the first half of the season. Second half he did improve a bit, but obviously still not good enough.

Trequarista10

I can only see us letting him go if we were to bring in a young, cheap backup CB. I'm hoping we get linked to such a player in the next few days, as it indicate to me this deal is well and truly ON.

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
Im not sure. Feels like the club is too nice and too lenient with the players. Well not saying we should football manager it, but after a decade if not winning EPL not sure now is the time to be soft. He reminds me one of the most mistake prine defender in silvestre but even him on his worst days alot more rock solid than this guy.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Any chance Leicester re-sign him if Chelsea get Fofana?

Speako

I'm all for offloading Maguire to Chelsea, but even in the current climate of inflated fees, we shouldn't be giving them more than £20m, tops.

Adamsk7

Honestly if they offered us even £30m I would bite their hands off. He’s useless in this system and probably the worst “Captain” I’ve seen at the club. I’d rather have Phil Jones as at least he’s a little bit dynamic and aggressive. If we’re going Varane/Martinez (we should) then Lindelof, Jones and Tuanzebe is more than enough cover. Hell even McT plays centre back for Scotland and if we get FDJ (big if) he can play there too

pogbasformerbarber

Martinez, Varane, Lindelof, Jones, Tuanzebe, Bailly and Maguire, and maybe we have a youngster we can bring up from own ranks to play less important matches?

.. so I’m not worried if we sell two CBs and I prefer we sell Bailly and Maguire - because they aren’t that much better than Lindelof, Jones and Tuanzebe and they like bring in much more money (we can spend more on reinforcement).
Totally in agreement. Lindeloft, Jones, and Tuanzebe are perfect squad CB's. We could get decent funds for Bailly and Maguire so we should strike while the iron is hot. If this were football manager they'd be gone ASAP...I have to think we could offload both if they were keen for the move.

::sonny::

The greece incident changed him, till that moment was a top cb

It happens many times, dida at ac milan gk when has been hit by a flar during a derby never came back like before

dpansheth

Honestly if they offered us even £30m I would bite their hands off. He’s useless in this system and probably the worst “Captain” I’ve seen at the club. I’d rather have Phil Jones as at least he’s a little bit dynamic and aggressive. If we’re going Varane/Martinez (we should) then Lindelof, Jones and Tuanzebe is more than enough cover. Hell even McT plays centre back for Scotland and if we get FDJ (big if) he can play there too
speaking of Jones. he's still here..

Chip

Don't turn him into icicle, sell him.
Yep. Get everything you can for him this window or January at latest. Otherwise we'll just end up loaning him out with a stupid buy option at around £5 million like Bailly.

Houdini

Unfortunately I think we have to keep him for rotation, as we'd be relying on Jones and Tuanzebe otherwise. But if we could identify a good young defender at a reasonable price who is a good fit for Ten Hags style, then we should absolutely sell him. He's really not a good fit for United at all
Jones had ha massive game last time he played for us.

FrantikChicken

I don’t think he can leave this summer as he’ll be needed to cover injuries and some rotation, but I can see him being on the bench for most of the season and then heading off next summer. Would be the most sensible more from us I think.

anyone that thinks Lindelof, Jones, and Tuanzebe are enough cover isn’t quite thinking it through imo. Too many injury prone players and not enough quality past the starting CBs.

Houdini

His best form came after the Greece incident. Indeed, the only time he put a run of form together that was truly good enough for what we want.

19/20 - He was inconsistent. Some very good, some very bad, mostly bouncing around in the middle.
20/21 - After Greece he was terrible for a couple of months, got back to inconsistent for a couple of months, then was very good in the second half of the season. One of the best in the league during that period. Carried that into the Euro's as well.
21/22 - Absolutely terrible for the first half of the season. Second half he did improve a bit, but obviously still not good enough.
Sounds like Phil Jones to me (minus the Euro)

Status
Not open for further replies.