Harry Maguire (Out): Chelsea eyeing a shock swoop for Harry Maguire | Utd say not for sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordSpud

Make no mistake if he goes we need a CB because with Varane an injury is never far away

FerociousCorgis

Clearly he wont be sold, but imagine the statement if we did sell maguire and added an attacker with that money. Would think Martinez, Varane, and Lindelof would be a good 3 and then figure out a 4th CB to maintain.

GBBQ

Varane won’t keep injury free (or at least we can’t gamble on it). Martinez will be targeted by certain teams. Just can’t see him being sold this year. But probably he won’t be here beyond next summer.

Holters

Sell Maguire, buy Pau Torres.

Varane/Lindelöf - Martinez/Pau Torres.

Decent.

Lecland07

I actually think he would do quite well at Chelsea. Their setup is more suited to the style of play that he has.

Ole'sattheWheel

I actually think he would do quite well at Chelsea. Their setup is more suited to the style of play that he has.
I agree, for 40/50 mil it’d be a deal where everyone wins really.
We don’t have the awkward Maguire captain situation anymore and he can go to Chelsea with a fresh slate

crossy1686

career ending
I think Torres does well in this league. The club recommending him is a positive despite the fired scouting department.
Even if he's just okay, say as good as someone like Evans was, he's an improvement on what we've got right now and we need a cultural clear out of players who've given up.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
We would have to replace him though. Remember Van Gaal and playing Paddy Mcnair and Tyler Blackett because everyone else was injured.

WPMUFC

His price tag was always going to cause this problem. Not good enough to be starter, no idea why he kept the captaincy. He's at best 3rd choice but the transfer fee will always mess with his head and make it awkward to drop him.

It all comes down to whether you move him on to solve this dilemma or bite the bullet and accept an 80m defender is now 3rd choice. He should definitely lose the armband at the very least.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I'd love to sell him but hoping that Varane and Lindelof never get hurt at the same time seems like a disaster waiting to happen.
Lindelof's injury record is pretty good. Assuming we still had Jones clanking around like the ghost of Christmas past I'd be quite comfortable with Varane, Martinez, Lindelof, Jones, Shaw/McT/Garner/Frenkie/Casemiro, yutes.

One of McT or Casemiro should always be available hopefully to add physical presence to help out the CBs and cover for any potential lack of height.

gaffs

Im split on whether this could happen.

On one had, a swap for Pulisic makes sense for both. Chelsea need center backs and MaGuire could work well in a 3 center back system. Pulisic could work well in the Ten Hag system. Salaries are not too far apart either.

But if Tuchel signs MaGuire and it doesn't work, then he will get some much stick for it.
MaGuire is the butt of the most jokes in the Prem. No Chelsea fan would want him. If Chelsea go on a bad run with MaGuire, it could be enough for Tuchel to get the sack.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Now or never, Chelski. He's on sale for £50m, one-time offer only.

Morpheus 7

There is no way we win that with captain crunch. The fridge is done here, hopefully he'll go with glazers.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Some on here dream we will pay money for fridge. :lol:.

If not starter maximum he will go to Leicester but the wages he is on no one will take him. Three more years on bench for you lot.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Sell Maguire, buy Pau Torres.

Varane/Lindelöf - Martinez/Pau Torres.

Decent.
Wouldn't particularly make sense to me to sign the left-footed Torres as a Maguire replacement given whoever we signed would more likely have to step in for Varane at RCB than Martinez at LCB.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Again, he's a good defender. But he just doesn't fit ETH's style of play. If we could sell and get in a suitable replacement it would be a no-brainer IMV.

bucky

Wouldn't particularly make sense to me to sign the left-footed Torres as a Maguire replacement given whoever we signed would more likely have to step in for Varane at RCB than Martinez at LCB.
It makes perfect sense to replace Maguire with a left-footed LCB. Varane and Lindelöf as the RCB options currently, Martinez as the LCB. Eventually we will probably replace Lindelöf, but considering how much ten Hag values left-footed CBs, should Maguire leave, we will bring in another LCB that mainly uses his left foot.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Again, he's a good defender. But he just doesn't fit ETH's style of play. If we could sell and get in a suitable replacement it would be a no-brainer IMV.
He's definitely excellent at defending the bench.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
It makes perfect sense to replace Maguire with a left-footed LCB. Varane and Lindelöf as the RCB options currently, Martinez as the LCB. Eventually we will probably replace Lindelöf, but considering how much ten Hag values left-footed CBs, should Maguire leave, we will bring in another LCB that mainly uses his left foot.
If Varane and Martinez are the first choice pairing, the second choice RCB would be a lot more likely to get game time than the second choice LCB given Varane's fitness issues.

If we had the set-up you suggest, that would mean Lindelof playing a lot more than whichever new CB we sign, which doesn't make sense given we presumably want Lindelof to be the weakest of our CBs.

Given that ETH has already used Lindelolf at LCB when our second choice Maguire/Lindelof pairing is on the pitch, it doesn't make sense to sign a new CB just so we can slide Lindelof across to a role where he will play more than the new better CB who then sits on the bench.

Left-footedness matters, but not as much as having a better player than Lindelof come in whenever Varane is out.

bucky

If Varane and Martinez are the first choice pairing, the second choice RCB would be a lot more likely to get game time than the second choice LCB given Varane's fitness issues.

If we had the set-up you suggest, that would mean Lindelof playing a lot more than whichever new CB we sign, which doesn't make sense given we presumably want Lindelof to be the weakest of our CBs.

Given that ETH has already used Lindelolf at LCB when our second choice Maguire/Lindelof pairing is on the pitch, it doesn't make sense to sign a new CB just so we can slide Lindelof across to a role where he will play more than the new better CB who then sits on the bench.

Left-footedness matters, but not as much as having a better player than Lindelof come in whenever Varane is out.
You are using a scenario from pre-season, which mainly happened in preparation to Maguire becoming the RCB with Martinez slotting in at LCB. As ten Hag has probably realised by now, he miscalculated a few things from pre-season. If Varane and Martinez are our first choice pairing, Lindelöf and Maguire second choice, then it could also be the case that he realises that Maguire is more comfortable as the LCB, since he's mainly played there for most of his career, which could be another factor against him in ten Hag's mind.

We can talk all we want about Varane's fitness issues and Lindelöf's ability in general, but it's also about how those CBs work with each other. I'd argue that Varane is the only partner for Maguire that makes sense. If that's the case, he needs to get past Martinez and I don't see that happening with the way ten Hag wants to play.

You are probably correct in thinking that Varane's backup is more likely to play than Martinez', but I don't think Maguire and Martinez work very well together, especially with de Gea behind them. I also wonder whether Maguire would accept being second choice given his status as CB for England would suffer.

NoPace

The deal I think that made sense was Maguire to Spurs for say 25M pounds. He's played LCB, they have play a deep line and Conte likes big aerial defenders, and he can play all 3 spots in their system. Then they sell Davinson Sanchez to some other team for 20M and they're really only paying wages. We spend the money on a quicker, younger CB who looks to back up Varane and take over for him, there' a bunch in the Bundesliga.

dazjoe

Maguire just needs to go.
He signifies everything that has been wrong about United for the last few years.
Bought on absolutely ridiculous money (not his fault of course but sums up the complete scatter gun approach to transfers), looked out of his depth the moment he arrived, never in a million miles a captain but given the armband regardless.
His confidence has absolutely gone, the team look far better when he's not here, he's a 1970's British style clogger transported 50 years into the future and expected to be able to play the modern game. He was never suitable for a team that wants to press, play front foot football and rely on pace and aggression.
We've talked for years about the need to clear the dross out the squad and really reset the club, so when an opportunity I honestly never thought would come and Maguire might be wanted we suddenly worry about the size of the squad? Get rid. I'd rather Mengi gets game time if we do have a raft of injuries, and that's not hyperbole, I'm 100% serious.
We need to bring someone else in? OK, go and find the best young centre back around (21 or younger) who is at a getable club (so not City, Bayern, Real, etc). Bring them in to play back up to Martinez and Varane.
Just get rid of Maguire asap.

Leg-End

If there is genuine interest then there is never a better time to sell him. I agree we would probably need cover at CB because Varane is always a risk but I’m sure we could do that with a short or long term signing.

The key is Maguire’s value is at its highest now, he’s never going to be the player ETH builds around, a fresh start does all parties good.

Chelsea, you know it makes sense.

CallyRed

Adrian Durham on Talksport was baffled last night on why Maguire was left on the bench, even though we had won.
The British media are still living off his 2018 world cup performance.

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
My Leicester fan mate reckons he's going to Leicester to replace Fofana
This would make a lot of sense. Leicester fans should have fond memories of Maguire doing well for them so would probably welcome him back with open arms. If Fofana goes they need a replacement and with limited time left in the window they might just go for Harry, at least if personal terms can be sorted out.

Status
Not open for further replies.