Harry Maguire | Signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric's Seagull

Let's not underestimate the serious lack of leadership in this squad right now. Maguire is a step, an expensive step but a big step nonetheless.
We will not be able to shift the below average players until we have a solid spine in this team.
Also, to the posters saying that Maguire is on par with Smalling. Why is there no club in the world interested in Smalling and if United were willing to sell what price would be set?
Don't think Smalling is as good as Maguire and would take £20m for him. Not sure how much United would ask/ Maybe reason we don't get any bids is no-one else is willing to pay him £80,000 per week.

Santos J

Wasn't too keen tbh but considering the fees going round if £60m base is true then it's not that bad at all.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Tbh nobody knows the add-one. A base fee of £60m for him is a good price.

His signing is interesting though. For all the looking for a partner for Lindelöf, I think signing Maguire makes Bailly’s development all the more interesting. Tbh, I’d gladly see Bailly sold anyway, but I think his profile of player would fit very well with Maguire.

The same applies to Axel tbh, who could form a very good partnership with Maguire in time, both complimenting each other’s skill sets.

Chairman Steve

I’m not saying this will happen but it does have the feeling of VVD to Liverpool again. A central defender a lot of people thought was decent enough but questioned whether he was good enough for the top level. A top level club pays what is most probably over the odds for him but he ends up looking like money well spent.

EDIT: £60m + £20m seems like a great deal providing it’s true.

IrishRedDevil

£60m is a reasonable fee.

If we end up paying the +£20m, it means he was a success and we won trophies, so no complaints at all if it’s paid.

IrishRedDevil

@utdreport: The latest #mufc offer made for Harry Maguire (£60m + £20m), has been agreed with Leicester #mulive [@transferpodcast, @garbosj, @DuncanCastles]

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
Hopefully the defence now stops shitting its pants at the thought of being pressed.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
So by how much are we overpaying? I mean what would be a realistic valuation of him ? Around 50 m?

PepsiCola

So by how much are we overpaying? I mean what would be a realistic valuation of him ? Around 50 m?
40 + add ons is where I'd rate him.

But that's without factoring in the United tax and English player tax.

So 60 upfront + add ons sounds right

NotQuiteManc

If indeed Mcgyver comes to OT, I wonder who will be sold? For me, most probably Bailly because of his erratic style and fitness issues. Next would be Rojo, same rash style and fitness issues as well. At least based on last season. If those two are sold, the CB would be Mcgyver, Lindelof, Smalling, Jones, Tuanzebe. Pretty good lineup I think.

IrishRedDevil

Walker went for £50m 2 years ago, Stones went for £50m 3 years ago, we just bought AWB for £45m, so around £50-£60m is a fair price for a good defender.

Apparently we are paying £60m upfront, so it’s not too bad, considering he is English and Leicester don’t want to sell him.

clarkydaz

If indeed Mcgyver comes to OT, I wonder who will be sold? For me, most probably Bailly because of his erratic style and fitness issues. Next would be Rojo, same rash style and fitness issues as well. At least based on last season. If those two are sold, the CB would be Mcgyver, Lindelof, Smalling, Jones, Tuanzebe. Pretty good lineup I think.
we seem incapable of selling anyone

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
How can you not mention Jones and fitness issues in the same sentence?

Dazzmondo

The answer to this is quite simply "anyone any team would buy" so in all likelihood no one

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
No not joking, he’s a good defender but don’t think he’s worth spending that sort of money on, may as well go with what we’ve got in my view.
I think it’s fair to say that we only had two serious CB options in our mind when we entered this transfer window. De Ligt and Harry Maguire. The rumors from Italy was just smoke screens.

If reports are to be believed then 60+20 is a win and win for both clubs and the player. I’m very happy that we get him. Seems to be a good lad with his heart at the right place. Welcome Harry (if you come)

haram

Buy him and get rid of at least one of Bailly, Jones or Rojo. I would at the very least try to cash in on Bailly while he has value.

prateik

60+20 in installments or add ons?

Either way, if it has to happen, better get it done quickly

luke511

As critical as I've been in the past I'm just happy we're signing a centreback, and he'll walk in as our best in that position so can't really complain. His aerial threat is a massive thing which is exciting, I hope him playing for us will iron out his bad habits in defence.

Redbandito

Buy him and get rid of at least one of Bailly, Jones or Rojo. I would at the very least try to cash in on Bailly while he has value.
I’d rather keep Bailly and offload Jones or Rojo. Still think Bailly can contribute.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
As critical as I've been in the past I'm just happy we've signed a centreback, and he'll walk in as our best in that position so can't really complain. His aerial threat is a massive thing which is exciting, I hope him playing for us will iron out his bad habits in defence.
We haven't signed him yet.

ravi2

60 + 20 is a good deal in this market. I hope this leads to either Jones or rojo being sold

Rocknrolla69er

Some people in here are criminally under rating Maguire, the comments saying hes not better or not much better than Smalling and Jones are hilarious, whens the last time those two got near an england squad??? Can anyone tell me what english centrebacks are in front of Jones and Smalling?..

Maguires a top 5 centre back in this league, hes englands best centre back , get your heads out your arse, Jones and Smalling are massive weaknesses in this team, Maguire is a huge improvement on them.

With Magure and Wan Bissaka we ve improve our defence hugely

Reactions: Ødegaard

SteveW

Not convinced it improves us hugely but we did need a 3rd reliable CB along with Lindelof and Smalling. Hopefilly Rojo and Bailly get moved on

Status
Not open for further replies.