Harry Maguire | Signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

George The Best

170+ pages on arguing on whether we should buy Maguire or not, this is sensational.

Thing that gets me is we must be talking to Leicester on a daily basis and by the sounds of it we are about 5M apart on valuation, FFS just agree it or pull out, feels like this summer has been in slow motion!
I suspect we are much more than £5m apart, otherwise it would be done by now.

Fooza

I hope so, I refuse to believe slabhead is the only defender out there. If we have a vast scouting network, they really need to show us that they're doing there job.

C'est Moi Cantona

It's painful, one transfer at a time, and spend 4-5 weeks on each one.

If Leicester were asking £100 million, we'd be there bidding £95 million just to drag it out.

dev1l

I suspect we are much more than £5m apart, otherwise it would be done by now.
Most probably.
It could be either our offer is lower than that stated in media or else they are refusing to go down a penny from 80-90million valuation. Being a sellers market I think it s more of the latter.

C'est Moi Cantona

Good. It was silly money to begin with. If we're to overpay for anyone, I'd rather it be Koulibaly.
But it won't be him either, Maguire would have been a cheaper option to that deal, so now we need a cheaper option to Maguire, I wonder who's third on the list.

Fer

But it won't be him either, Maguire would have been a cheaper option to that deal, so now we need a cheaper option to Maguire, I wonder who's third on the list.
Alderweireld, Tierney and Ziyech would cost the same as Maguire...
Maybe the third on the list could be Milenkovic.

Red_toad

It's painful, one transfer at a time, and spend 4-5 weeks on each one.

If Leicester were asking £100 million, we'd be there bidding £95 million just to drag it out.
We bid a premium on his value in the current market, if reports are to believed. It's pretty obvious it's just not as easy as fans think it is to sign a player. Unless you pay their release clause or bid exactly what the selling club is asking for. At the end of the day Leicester aren't that keen to sell and he's not forcing a move. So if United have given their highest bid and it's been refused then it's time to start negotiating with another club for another player and it won't be an over night thing.
If you look at the Lukaku and Pogba sagas, these have been going on for an eternity, with no end in sight.

dev1l

Diaz - 66m ?, Diop - 70 m?, Milenkovic ?
Those are the ones I remember , plus Demiral who was linked to us today

ravi2

Good. It was silly money to begin with. If we're to overpay for anyone, I'd rather it be Koulibaly.
Not so sure of that either. He has no experience in epl, would cost even more and he s older than Maguire
Koulibaly would cost more for a reason, he is a world class defender
Mcguire has a long ways to go before he can be considered that.

Utdfanabroad

I'm interested in knowing who the alternatives are now? Every player we're linked with will be extortionate, with the Utd tax and all. Just pay the money and get it done

Redcy

Koulibaly will cost 130m+, more after this. So if we get him we won’t do much more business this window.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Sounds like a brief to aid negotiations. I'd be surprised if we turned to alternatives because the only viable one appears to be Koulibaly and hel be even more expensive. Not sure who else there is - if it were Toby I'd have thought we'd sign him by now anyway.

George The Best

Most probably.
It could be either our offer is lower than that stated in media or else they are refusing to go down a penny from 80-90million valuation. Being a sellers market I think it s more of the latter.
Yeah, I agree. I think it’s Leicester holding out for an absurd fee, with nearly all of it up front.

rotherham_red

Not so sure of that either. He has no experience in epl, would cost even more and he s older than Maguire
I said it as a hypothetical tbf. I know it isn't realistic, but if there was one CB we overpay for, then it would be him.

C'est Moi Cantona

We bid a premium on his value in the current market, if reports are to believed. It's pretty obvious it's just not as easy as fans think it is to sign a player. Unless you pay their release clause or bid exactly what the selling club is asking for. At the end of the day Leicester aren't that keen to sell and he's not forcing a move. So if United have given their highest bid and it's been refused then it's time to start negotiating with another club for another player and it won't be an over night thing.
If you look at the Lukaku and Pogba sagas, these have been going on for an eternity, with no end in sight.

That's fine, but we need to weigh up if we're likely going to be successful in the bid quicker than this, if as some say Diop is likely the fallback option, then that's another £10 m on his asking price, as now we are looking even more desperate. And much as some scoff at the one player at a time thing, there's clearly a lot of truth in it, so how we think we have all this time is beyond me.

The Pogba and Lukaku situations are very different, there's still a hierarchy in football, & we can just about still pretend to be one of the elite clubs in the transfer market, so buying from those sort of clubs, is hopefully still very different than buying from Leicester for example.

Loon

:lol:
It would be nice if they could keep it away from a record fee, but right now we need a defender.

cyberman

Sounds like a brief to aid negotiations. I'd be surprised if we turned to alternatives because the only viable one appears to be Koulibaly and hel be even more expensive. Not sure who else there is - if it were Toby I'd have thought we'd sign him by now anyway.
Not everything is a briefing! Not directed to you but its turned into a meme on here.
Anyway, it says reports so he's commentating on what we've all seen

Red_toad

That's fine, but we need to weigh up if we're likely going to be successful in the bid quicker than this, if as some say Diop is likely the fallback option, then that's another £10 m on his asking price, as now we are looking even more desperate. And much as some scoff at the one player at a time thing, there's clearly a lot of truth in it, so how we think we have all this time is beyond me.

The Pogba and Lukaku situations are very different, there's still a hierarchy in football, & we can just about still pretend to be one of the elite clubs in the transfer market, so buying from those sort of clubs, is hopefully still very different than buying from Leicester for example.
Leicester don't need the money, so being an elite club generally counts for very little, when it comes to players on long term contracts. I'd say Diop was already explored and passed on for fee quoted. I'd say it'll be someone a bit off the radar or Maguire will try force a move.

IrishRedDevil

Plus Toby’s £25 release clause expires in 7 days.

rotherham_red

He is better the question will be is he 40m more. Or is diop 15m less value?
I really like Diop and what he would bring to us if he came, but the precise issue we have is that we have an abundance of young CBs or CBs who need their hands held rather than leaders. Diop is someone who I'd say is in the former camp and wouldn't do much to improve our defence in the short term.

Also, I'd rather we gave a chance to Axel rather than spend £65m on Diop as I do think there isn't much separating the two IMO. Use the money on a new midfielder in that case.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Ah the classic "brief", one of my favourite redcafisms alongside of "Money back through shirt sales" and "new York stock market"

But let's hope it isn't true, or we're simply inviting issues, albeit not quite as many now we have a right back.

Gandalf

If it is not Maguire I don't think we will be looking at other targets this window. Smalling will end up getting a reprieve and we will probably see if one of Bailly or Tuanzebe can step up with Phil Jones as the veteran backup.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
We need someone who is going to come in and be our best defender. Who plays in any game.

If we buy Ake, we're bringing in a similar level to what we have - ie totally pointless.

Redcy

I imagine ake price will be £55m at this stage. Depends if city decide they want another cab for their bench.

dutchred

We need someone who is going to come in and be our best defender. Who plays in any game.

If we buy Ake, we're bringing in a similar level to what we have - ie totally pointless.
Apart from Lindelof he is better than any technically defender we have now

Status
Not open for further replies.