Harry Maguire | Signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valencia's Left Foot

Supports
Austin FC, USMNT, Three Lions
We are not in a position of strength right now when negotiating transfers. Rich and desperate aren't great qualities to have when beginning a negotiation. Every team knows we have loads of cash and are in dire need of new talent. United is going to have to over-pay, is what it is in our current condition.

romufc

Oh I'm not allowed have an opinion, on a football forum, which is meant for .. opinions?

I shouldn't doubt our scouts despite them fecking up about 80% of the transfers we've made this decade?

I'll just go back into the corner and agree with everything the club do, then.
You can have your opinion mate.

By the sounds of it, it is Maguire for £70-80m or no one. We have seen how well our scouts have done over the years with Rojo, Lindelof (who has finally settled in) and Bailly from abroad. Ole doesn't want a CB who will take time to settle.

So lets just not sign a CB?

When potentially Leicester are flying by Dec and we will be here sitting we should have just spent the money?

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!

By the sounds of it, it is Maguire for £70-80m or no one. We have seen how well our scouts have done over the years with Rojo, Lindelof (who has finally settled in) and Bailly from abroad. Ole doesn't want a CB who will take time to settle.

When potentially Leicester are flying by Dec and we will be here sitting we should have just spent the money?
I don't disagree with signing Maguire. It makes sense despite the ridiculous fee, but it's not my money so whatever. I'd prefer if we did use that money to buy a better CB but clearly our club and scouts don't seem capable of doing that, so whaddya gonna do. I disagree with what the other poster said - that he will definitely be great purely because we're buying him for big money. It's dumb logic.

House Mkhitaryan

If they won't sell for £70M, time for the club to move on. He's not worth that much and certainly not worth more. We do have a network of scouts, right? There's got to be other defenders out there with just as much, if not more, potential. Though it seems like we are limiting our transfers to overpriced Brits (surely a genius transfer strategy).

**edited**

Last edited:

Sir Scott McToMinay

I actually like Leicester, they have good players and I believe they’ll play good football under Rodgers, but they know, we know, Maguire knows, everybody knows that 90m for him is a pisstake.
It’s not like we offered them 30m and Rojo, we gave them a good offer, that is worthy of the player’s talented and should be more than enough to find an adequate replacement, and more.

90m is an insult to the player, I’m not against smaller clubs standing up for themselves in the transfer market, but 90m is standing in the way of a player’s will and organic development in the world of football, that I don’t like.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
I don't disagree with signing Maguire. It makes sense despite the ridiculous fee, but it's not my money so whatever. I'd prefer if we did use that money to buy a better CB but clearly our club and scouts don't seem capable of doing that, so whaddya gonna do. I disagree with what the other poster said - that he will definitely be great purely because we're buying him for big money. It's dumb logic.
Well that isn’t what I said. We are buying a sure thing. Buying some mythical “better” CB from somewhere in Europe who will need time to adapt and cope with the pressure isn’t what we need right now.

Sp00ks11

If they won't sell for £70M, time for the club to move on. He's not worth that much and certainly not worth more. We do have a network of scouts, right? There's got to be other defenders out there with just as much, if not more, potential. Though it seems like we are limiting our transfers to overpriced, pasty-white skinned Brits with square heads (surely a genius transfer strategy).
What is this crap?

romufc

Well, I didnt mean it to come across as that. We bought Lukaku for big money, we all know he isn't great.

Personally, I do not rate Maguire highly but I can understand given the situation we are in, why he fits the bill. We've known from last season a CB is required.

Jordan_mufc

If we only offer 30m (lower than market value) and keep unsettling the player, now that’s what I called bullying. But when they asking for double for 90m, and we offer the highest bid out of all for around 70m, that is what I called pure greed or taking a piss.
It's not taking the piss really. We are doing the same thing with Pogba. We have no need or intention of selling, thus we can set the price at whatever we feel.

If Leicester value Maguire at £120 million, then that's what we would have to pay.

Unless Maguire kicks off, then that's another story

Irishman

If they won't sell for £70M, time for the club to move on. He's not worth that much and certainly not worth more. We do have a network of scouts, right? There's got to be other defenders out there with just as much, if not more, potential. Though it seems like we are limiting our transfers to overpriced, pasty-white skinned Brits with square heads (surely a genius transfer strategy).
There's no place for this.

Give your head a shake.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Well that isn’t what I said. We are buying a sure thing. Buying some mythical “better” CB from somewhere in Europe who will need time to adapt and cope with the pressure isn’t what we need right now.
We really, really aren't. Maguire hasn't shown he's able to perform at the very top level, which is supposed to be what we're aspiring to. We are essentially buying possible the best defender outside of the top six but that doesn't mean he's good enough to be the main CB for a title challenging team.

I'm hoping he is able to but if he had shown it already I doubt so many people would be worried about the transfer.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Not much to understand here, it seems. Leicester not keen on selling & don’t need the money. They don’t seem to be in a position where they open to negotiations. They set a price and we either meet it or if we don’t want to, we should have another few targets lined up and we move on.

Of course it’s not always that easy. But it sounds like another Ed special - tries to sign Maguire until deadline day, only to not meet the price and comes out with a leak of “we’d have spent £100m on Varane”. Hopefully I’m wrong because OGS deserves the recruitments he wants (whether that be first choice or second/third choice on his list).

Just lower the prices of Rojo, Darmian, Bailly, Jones (wages aside) - or whoever, and use that money towards the Maguire fee.

Wasn’t actually a bad post until the racial bit. Seeing as we just signed AWB as well.

RobbieBerns

This guy checks all of the boxes that need to be checked for the kind of CB we’re looking to bring in and partner with Lindelof.

PL experience, dominant in the air, plays LCB compared to Lindelof who is much better at RCB, and is just now entering his prime.

The money is insane, but you have to at dealings within England as taking place within a vacuum. We’re also not in a position to be taking a flyer on a young CB with promise, even if they have potential to be better than Maguire years down the road.

Reactions: VeevaVee
It's not taking the piss really. We are doing the same thing with Pogba. We have no need or intention of selling, thus we can set the price at whatever we feel.

If Leicester value Maguire at £120 million, then that's what we would have to pay.

No club has bid for Pogba by all accounts. Leicester have confirmed two clubs have submitted offers for Maguire.

Agree on the price ‘issue’ though. They have a player who has four years left on his contract, don’t need the money and the player hasn’t submitted a transfer request - they are entitled to hold firm for a fee that they want. Their risk is that we walk away and they have an unhappy player, and won’t receive a huge fee for him.

Let’s see who blinks first!

It’s exciting - it’s got nothing to do with Leicester being greedy or taking the piss. If anyone thinks that, they need to get over themselves.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
We really, really aren't. Maguire hasn't shown he's able to perform at the very top level, which is supposed to be what we're aspiring to. We are essentially buying possible the best defender outside of the top six but that doesn't mean he's good enough to be the main CB for a title challenging team.

I'm hoping he is able to but if he had shown it already I doubt so many people would be worried about the transfer.
People are worried because it's a herd mentality and they've convinced themselves he isn't good enough when he is. That'll be shown when he moves here.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
unhappy players often become happy again when you hand them a new contract for a lot more money

Pierluigi Casiraghi

If it is not your job and it is the scout to chose, then let them do their job? if they think he is worth £80m then so be it. You cannot have an opinion to say he is over priced and then say it is not my job.
He can, assuming he's seen a fair amount of Maguire, which most of us have. If the club decides they wanna spend £150m on him, we still can't say he's overpriced because we haven't seen enough of Romagnoli, Skriniar, Tah etc?

romufc

He can, assuming he's seen a fair amount of Maguire, which most of us have. If the club decides they wanna spend £150m on him, we still can't say he's overpriced because we haven't seen enough of Romagnoli, Skriniar, Tah etc?

I corrected myself in a later post.

House Mkhitaryan

'IF' it's offensive??? Come on dude. United is located in England you know, so if you have problem with Brits, maybe you should find another club.
Sorry it offended you that much. For the record I am pasty-white and of almost exclusively British/Irish background. It was just a joke because it appears to me the club right now is only going after British players (who they are paying a premium for) and most (AWB excluded) have a similar look. If it's worth banning me over, so be it. Otherwise, I don't think it's worth derailing this thread any more than it has been.

Jezpeza

To be honest, Rojo, Bailly and Jones cost a combined 69 million. None of them are up to it.

The risk with scouting cheaper players is that they can fail, and then you spend the megabucks on separate players who have no use anyway.

I think that maguire is not worth that much but it will take a premium to get him from leicester. And at the end of the day if you need something you buy it.

There are the cheaper options abroad like Saliba and Zagadou etc but are they ready to play week in Week out and would they succeed in the PL? Maguire is tried and tested.

I thought We could try to get Skriniar in exchange for Lukaku but i suppose they are trying to build a team not create another hole in it, and supposedly he didn't have a great season? Does anyone know the lie of the land in the Italian league last year?

romufc

To be honest, Rojo, Bailly and Jones cost a combined 69 million. None of them are up to it.

The risk with scouting cheaper players is that they can fail, and then you spend the megabucks on separate players who have no use anyway.

I think that maguire is not worth that much but it will take a premium to get him from leicester. And at the end of the day if you need something you buy it.

There are the cheaper options abroad like Saliba and Zagadou etc but are they ready to play week in Week out and would they succeed in the PL? Maguire is tried and tested.

I thought We could try to get Skriniar in exchange for Lukaku but i suppose they are trying to build a team not create another hole in it, and supposedly he didn't have a great season? Does anyone know the lie of the land in the Italian league last year?

Agreed. Leicester dont want to sell, we want him so we have to pay an excess.

Apparently, we don't want a swap. I have not seen much ot Italian league to know how well he played, but he is rated highly. Also, he has just signed a new contract this summer.

StrettyEnder07

170+ pages on arguing on whether we should buy Maguire or not, this is sensational.

Thing that gets me is we must be talking to Leicester on a daily basis and by the sounds of it we are about 5M apart on valuation, FFS just agree it or pull out, feels like this summer has been in slow motion!

lysglimt

Scout
so we are planning to replace Maguire with someone that plays completely differently and on the other side of the CB pairing? reeks of BS to me
If you replace a Maguire who wants to leave, with Tarkowski and £25 million - it's not a deal for you. Tarkowski isn't Maguire, but he is not that far behind.

Noc-Z

ffs
Yep, a CB is required even though we have 6 of them in the first team now! Sums up the mismanagement of the team for a long time!!!!

I think our business is done though, I can see us starting the new season as we are unfortunately.

Maybe if we could sell some of the dross we have, THEN we could buy, but we'll hardly manage to sell anyone. No wonder.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Jones has been injury prone, that is something you cant forecast.

I didnt say he is good based on money, If you read, I said Maguire is a seasoned PL CB who is England's first choice CB. And the reason I say he is good enough for us is he gets in the England team ahead of Jones, and smalling who are first team at Manutd. So yes, he is good enough for us compared to the current CB's.

So you tell me, who is good enough for Manutd that will be cheaper than say £60m?
To be fair, Jones and Smalling has more England caps than Maguire. Sure Maguire is currently the preferred choice in England, but that doesn't really guarantee much, Smalling and Jones were once the England preferred choice too.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.

IF they have no intention for selling, they can simply just tell us he's not for sell.

Pierluigi Casiraghi

Problem there is, you have the settling in issue. Look at Lindelof, he looked much better last season but he's still a lot of improving to do. Rojo and Bailly, still don't look right when they play. Maguire is way overpriced, no doubt about it, but he comes in and there really shouldn't be any settling in issues. He's comfortable on the ball, good in the air, he already knows and has played with some of our team. Plus he will command and organise that backline, considering we have youngish full backs, that's a big plus. Bringing in someone from outside, to expect than to command and lead from the get go when they are trying to settle themselves and may not even speak the lingo is a big ask.
Mehhh... will he, though? He's certainly a brave and committed player, which is why I can understand people saying he's captain material, but that isn't the same as being a 'leader at the back'. Tbh I think it's very hard to get a read on how good a player is it at this kind of thing from watching on TV, or even from the stands.

I know he's great in the air and on the ball. How is he at defending on the ground, which is surely more important than either? Not good enough to warrant anything close to 80m IMO.

Your point about not wanting a repeat of Lindelof's first season with a new CB is valid, especially as Lindelof himself still isn't exactly rock solid (though he has improved a lot). It's a risk I'm willing to take if it means not overpaying to such a degree on this particular player.

Hughie77

You like him then?

I'll send my Mrs round , might give me some peace, then again she's an ugly fecker.
On a serious note re Brendan, BR pure laziness btw. I'd rather judge him on what he does for the team, playing style and results, early signs look good yet time will tell.

It will be interesting to see how both our managers/teams fare next season, it will be very telling where both teams are in their respective rebuilding.

Obviously you have the advantage of being such a massive and wealthy club but don't dismiss us though!
No he's a git, I've got mates who are big Celtic fans and they were glad to see the back off him, when he was at Swansea, I'm from near there, I worked with a guy who new one of there anylist guys, and a promoter who was a woman, and they were telling him how much of a t##t he was.
Don't forget Swansea wasn't a premier league club, didn't have there own training facilities until about 4 -5 years ago, so they trained in a public place, anybody could watch them. So he had no hinding place.
And when he left Swansea for Liverpool, they put a clause in he couldn't take any players bar J Allen.

So be wary if he goes or when, he'll try to poach some players from there. He's a untrustworthy guy, he took someone's wife when he left Liverpool, stepped up from players. Good luck.

poleglass red

Wee Brendan is a bit of an eccentric but he's an excellent coach with even better teeth. He plays his football one way, some say it's his strength, some say it's his weakness. But you know what you are going to get, teams that like to play football. It can often be a bit slow as it was at Celtic at times, but he has a good habit of improving players. He's a hard worker, and you only have to look at his teeth to see when he puts his mind to something he gets it

RedCurry

Wee Brendan is a bit of an eccentric but he's an excellent coach with even better teeth. He plays his football one way, some say it's his strength, some say it's his weakness. But you know what you are going to get, teams that like to play football. It can often be a bit slow as it was at Celtic at times, but he has a good habit of improving players. He's a hard worker, and you only have to look at his teeth to see when he puts his mind to something he gets it
Like they say "Per aspera ad astra".

El-Manos

What is going on like. This is taking way too long. Our ineptitude regarding signings lately is ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.