Harry Maguire | Signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ralph1386

Hadn't considered that.
Also, i wonder if people think the fee is quite high?
Honestly, I think even HE doesn't think he's worth that much.

The problem is the inflated market and the fact that we would be taking him from another PL team.

Adnandos

I would really rather us just bin this, please. There are better options for less money

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Honestly, I think even HE doesn't think he's worth that much.

The problem is the inflated market and the fact that we would be taking him from another PL team.
I know pal.
I was being slightly facetious bearing in mind that 73,000 posts in discussing him being slow or overpriced, some guy rocks on and asks if he's slow!!

Ronaldo's Love Child

Let's be honest. Our transfer strategy for 2019 has already been a disaster.

It was clear to even a blind man that we needed to strengthen our first team after last season. Instead our already poor and misfiring midfield has been weakened even further with the departures of Fellaini and Herrera.

WB has come in as right back which is an upgrade on Valencia/Young but to be fair that's not saying much.

And what else ? Er.....yep. That's about it !

We are now three weeks away from our opening PL match and we could still potentially lose Lukaku and Pogba.

From what I've seen of Bruno Fernandes he looks like he may be a good signing but on the other hand I am almost hoping that the rumours we are interest in him are NOT true as that would mean we've been sat on our hands since OGS's permanent appointment instead if securing transfers in advance of the summer transfer window.

There are echoes of last summer where we were linked with a number of players but slowly the hopes started to fade away as we got closer and closer to the opening game of the season.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
That back 5 doesn't have shit on city's or Liverpool's but it's our best post Fergie, for certain
Liverpools CHs are VVD (very good) and a choice of 2-3 others who are all 'ok. They have FBs who had an excellent season and may/may not do again.

If we buy Maguire, I'm hoping he has a similar effect to VVD - he makes them better than their parts, organised, solid.

They also have Def Mids who help.
Hadn't considered that.
Also, i wonder if people think the fee is quite high?
Wonder if he got that or it went whoosh?

vanderpants

This transfer is simple if we really wanted him, Leicester don't need or have to sell him, I think they have a good team for this coming season, so if Ed doesn't offer the money they want he will stay. I know the valuation seems high but thats the price we have to pay for English talent . Personally think we will miss out on him

Moriarty

To be fair, I think we went for Hummels and enquired about Varane before chasing Maguire. I think Maguire is the plan B, or C if we also tried to get Diop.
I don't know about Hummels. I read that he was on his way back to Dortmund. There's no chance of getting Varane. Dunno about Diop. Is he an improvement on what we already have?

ManchesterYoda

The way I look at it this. Wan-Bissaka is the best in Europe defending 1v1 on the ground. He's more than decent in several other areas too but being a master at 1v1 defending on the ground makes him worth every penny. With Maguire it's similar, only Maguire is one of the very best in the air, that's his main strength. He's also more than decent in several other areas, including "on the ball", something everyone seems obsessed about nowadays. He's not left footed but he can play LCB, something that not all of our CBs are able to do. I cannot find ANY quality left footed CBs. Our squad of CBs would improve with Maguire, so he's worth buying. Even if we pay £20 million more than we'd like to.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
I like it when itk who insist they're never wrong post stuff like that.

As it's either true,or we can totally ignore them forever more.
When he's wrong he deletes it and denies ever saying it, put it this way, if its done today why would we have played Maguire yesterday and risked him getting injured?

Last edited:

tonnas

DeGea - AWB - Maguire - Lindelof - Shaw. This is a top top looking defence.

nainaisson

The way I look at it this. Wan-Bissaka is the best in Europe defending 1v1 on the ground. He's more than decent in several other areas too but being a master at 1v1 defending on the ground makes him worth every penny. With Maguire it's similar, only Maguire is one of the very best in the air, that's his main strength. He's also more than decent in several other areas, including "on the ball", something everyone seems obsessed about nowadays. He's not left footed but he can play LCB, something that not all of our CBs are able to do. I cannot find ANY quality left footed CBs. Our squad of CBs would improve with Maguire, so he's worth buying. Even if we pay £20 million more than we'd like to.
Plus, Luke Shaw can't block a cross to save his life, so it'd be nice to have a LCB who can deal with all the crosses coming in from our left side. Or, better yet, a better LB.

Hackman2210

I prefer
De Gea
Wan-Bissaka - Smalling - Maguire - Shaw​
Its not my money and i'd rather the board spend 70million on the team rather than themselves but i think we are ok at CB. Tuanzebe, Lindelof, Bailey and Jones are solid enough. But maguire is 26 at the start of the season so he could give us 10 years. £70mill doesnt sound too bad then.

Gasolin

At this point, it's make it or break it, I suppose. Just make it happen if it is meant to happen. Let's get ready for the season, we also need to add more creativity to offer more chances to our strikers.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
When he's wrong he deletes it and denies ever saying it, put it this way, if its done today why would we have played Maguire yesterday and risked him getting injured?
Do you post outside of Maguire threads?:D:lol:

Svartzonker

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2022/23
Is Dean Jones reliable?

Adding Maguireooooo surely means we are going to offload one or two from Smalling, Bailly, Jones and Rojo.

Valar Morghulis

Supports
BBW
Straight away I suspect this guy is a bullshitter due to his irrelevant comment after the initial statement. So you know some shit but instead of adding to the statement or bolstering it in some way you just add an opinion that's already been made thousands of times for weeks now. Yawn.

VintageUtd

Plus, Luke Shaw can't block a cross to save his life, so it'd be nice to have a LCB who can deal with all the crosses coming in from our left side. Or, better yet, a better LB.
I agree Shaw has to massively improve on the defensive side of things. It wasn't just Young caught far too many times out of position and exposing the centre backs. Even though Shaw is a young lad he has this annoying thing of putting in half hearted attempts at stopping a cross.

Reactions: golden_blunder

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Was starting to worry this wouldn't happen, hope this time it's true. We need him and he'll be great

Gasolin

Would that mean that we only spend on Maguire and Bruno if Lukaku is sold?

Bwuk

Happy with 80m fee.

A lot of money but solves one of our issues. Maguire, Lindelof with Axel as third choice is my hope.

Straight away I suspect this guy is a bullshitter due to his irrelevant comment after the initial statement. So you know some shit but instead of adding to the statement or bolstering it in some way you just add an opinion that's already been made thousands of times for weeks now. Yawn.
He's not a bullshitter, he knew about Perez to Leicester before they announced it.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I think this deal is done. Leicester's position of strength remains as long as maguire stays within the ranks. If they keep insisting on silly money that might and will probably change

BlabyFox

Supports
Leicester
We should just move on from this. We are not so desperate for a centre back that we need to be held to ransom by a little club like Leicester. Let them keep the big slab - he ain't all that.
Held to ransom? That's just laughable and plain wrong.

What little club Leicester have done is set their price, no ransom, just pay up or move on.

Quite simple really and I'm sure fans from a big club can get that, are Pogba and Lukaku being held to ransom too?

Last edited by a moderator:

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
If it's done I'm glad, but it's a bitter sweet knowing how much other CBs have gone for, English tax reasoning or not (don't buy English then, would be the obvious shout).

Whatever, just looking forward to some new players. More needed please.

M Bison

Supports
York City
About to say the same, people keep saying he’s too expensive and we could do better, but I’m yet to see an example of one of these cheaper/superior players.

Myself, I think it is a lot of money but we can’t do better and Leicester don’t need to sell so of course there’s a premium and in any event, in today’s market it’s not out of sync.

I also thought AWB was expensive but if his pre season performances carry on he’ll end up being a bargain.

Dahnsouff

Supports
Leicester City
Lot of noise on twitter about this transfer, but needs to be someone who isn’t just begging for empty attention. If Percy says something, then attention should definitely be paid, oh and Sean from Enderby is not a source.

Fox1884

Supports
Leicester City
He's not a bullshitter, he knew about Perez to Leicester before they announced it.
Ayoze Perez was first broken by Geoff Peters from TalkSport about 2 hours earlier, Dean Jones just did what every other journo did and jumped on it as well

peridigm

If this is done it will mean Rojo Jones and Bailly will want out if they want to play. Should sell two of those three.

Status
Not open for further replies.