Harry Maguire | Signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fiskey

Can't stop thinking about David Nugent's hot naked
Lots of money, should've signed him 5 years ago, but pleased he's coming.

TRUERED89

Ramos, Umtiti, Pique, Koulibaly, van Dijk, Laporte, Godin, Silva, Bonucci, Varane - is he better than any of them?
Come on people, stop the moaning. He's British, knows the PL, experienced enough, regular for his NT, understands what it means to play for United, isn't a fussy pri-madonna. We've got a quality player here and back 4 looking transformed!

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
VVD was not worth 75m either. He was a good but not great player at a time when 50m got you top class. He stepped up massively and with that, 75m became the new norm. If Maguire steps up (I wouldn't want to call it either way) then nobody will blink at 80m in a couple of years.
VVD was in hindsight though in my opinion, because they also upgraded at keeper. We'll see with Maguire, I'm betting AWB makes him worth it.

Last edited:

twitter thread suggester
Ridiculous we didn’t seal it in time for preseason if we were willing to pay that much.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
2009: £80m for Cristiano Ronaldo.
2019: £80m for Harry Maguire.

Pretty crazy :houllier:
Think what's fairly remarkable is that the inflation in the market has really only even been over the past few years. As recently as 2015 a fee like £80m for Maguire would've been unimaginable.

nameischarles

Sure he cost a lot however he is what Ole wanted, Leicester City didn't need to sell him hence the high asking price.

On to the next deals Ed!

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Impossible. We only have 100m to spend.

Amarsdd

Was VVD top ten in the world when he was signed in your opinion? Or David Luiz? Genuine question
Not sure about top 10, but VVD was obviously very highly regarded but had only done it for a small club. Same for Maguire now

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Please people never complain about the fee.

You complain we don't sign players, you complain when we say there's no value in the market.

We finally splash out and now you say "OMG TOO EXPENSIVE"

he's a good player. Let's be happy.

tomaldinho1

This news pains me, not because of the price (which is silly) but I just don't rate him. If he joins will get behind him but I really hope we still try for a CM/RW this year

Posh Red

Not every player becomes like VVD and Luiz never been in TOP 10 and will never be. I too think that £80-85m for Maguire is an out of season April fools joke but we are used to wasting money so who cares.
That was kind of the point I was making. it's not unusual for teams to pay over the odds even when a player isn't considered to be world class.

ChaddyP

almost we need to replace Shaw
I am actually a big fan of his. He may be the weakest link of the back 5 but he's still a brilliant defender and with us attacking in a 4 2 4 shape attacking full backs aren't a huge deal to me. Need defenders that can stop counter attacks when our wide players and pogba are pushing up. That's what we been doing miay6of preseason. I'm very pleased

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
The Lukaku of CBs.

It’ll be an improvement on what we currently have, but ultimately not where we want to be.
Somewhat fair comparison.

I think Maguire's positives are larger than what Lukaku offered, though. With fewer flaws.

At his best, Maguire combines the best traits of our two best CB's -- the ball-playing ability of Lindelof, and the aerial/physical presence of Smalling -- into one defender.

That's a very helpful asset to have.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Magiure AND Dybala

Excuse me Im going to get HYPEDRUNK.

I was negative towards Dybala earlier this week, but Ive read up a bit, heard some arguments and changed my opinion 180.

Onwards Bruno Fernandes!

RedCoffee

Rants that backfired
Great news overdue. Can’t believe the negative comments on here already. Please ban these arseholes.

Nights

Ramos, Umtiti, Pique, Koulibaly, van Dijk, Laporte, Godin, Silva, Bonucci, Varane - is he better than any of them?
Better than Laporte imo.

Umtiti has broken knees and can barely play.

Probably better than a few of the older ones too simply due to age.

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
Congratulations !!
You have a top quality player & a top quality person coming your way.
He will be a fan favourite in no time.

Tel074

Great signing. I couldn't care less about any fee the club are rich as feck so about time they bought what we need . Sort a midfielder now and hopefully Dybala and it's not so bad

Nordskog

Not bothered by the fee, I’m bothered it wasn’t done at the start of the window if we were going to pay such a large amount.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
That fee is still unimaginable to any well run team.
I'm not sure it is at this stage - as a talented Englishman playing for a fairly decent side it would've been hard to imagine him going for less than £50-60m anywhere. And in the current market £20m really isn't a lot, bizarre as that may seem.

TheeAma12

Supports
Chelsea
Was VVD top ten in the world when he was signed in your opinion? Or David Luiz? Genuine question
VVD was far better than Maguire when he was signed thats for sure. Everything he's showing at liverpool now he did at Southampton and at Celtic. We didn't sign David Luiz for world record money, hell none of Chelsea's centerbacks were ever sign for world record money.

What makes this whole thing laughable was that jose wanted harry last season and ed said no, now he just spent tripple that amount to get him this season.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I am actually a big fan of his. He may be the weakest link of the back 5 but he's still a brilliant defender and with us attacking in a 4 2 4 shape attacking full backs aren't a huge deal to me. Need defenders that can stop counter attacks when our wide players and pogba are pushing up. That's what we been doing miay6of preseason. I'm very pleased
Hmm Im skeptical about him defensively sometimes, but yes he is ok. Doesn't close down crosses enough for my liking.

mav_9me

I am not convinced but we will see. I had huge faith in Bailly and he hasn't worked out so far. So what do I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.