Harry Maguire | Signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Happy with this. Basically he’s like if Phil Jones actually had control over his body.

TheeAma12

Supports
Chelsea
Good price for one of the best defenders in the league.

AWB - lindalof - maguire - Shaw

Is much more solid looking than we’ve had in years.
You paid a world record fee for a defender that wouldn't be considered top 10 in the world.

Stubble

Sorry but that's too much if it now means we won't address the obvious MF issues. If Dybala or Bruno come in as well its an ok window I guess..

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Let's hope he turns out to be good for us. That's a world record fee for a defender I wouldn't even put into the top defender category.
Ramos, Umtiti, Pique, Koulibaly, van Dijk, Laporte, Godin, Silva, Bonucci, Varane - is he better than any of them?

He's nowhere near VVD's level. If people put that sort of pressure in him because of the gargantuan fee then they'll be severely disappointed.

We're completely overpaying for what is a good, but not amazing upgrade on our defense.
VVD was not worth 75m either. He was a good but not great player at a time when 50m got you top class. He stepped up massively and with that, 75m became the new norm. If Maguire steps up (I wouldn't want to call it either way) then nobody will blink at 80m in a couple of years.

podurban2

It’s Maguire day! Happy as this is the type of profile Solskjaer wants; young, British, technical.

Patrick08

Well done Woody, wasted two summers and finally got a top CB by just paying whatever it is the other club wanted :lol:

Good signing though, happy with this. Hood profile of player i can get behind.
Would love to see jose's reaction.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
So we end up paying what they wanted from the start... why waste all these weeks?!

I don’t think he’s worth the money, but that’s the market these days. I think he’ll prove to be a solid buy who will add consistency to our defence. Also a goal threat off corners.

Infestissumam

people underestimate the benefits of a solid and settled back 4. Replacing Smalling and Young with Maguire and AWB is massive.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Our transfer policy this summer (so far) seems to be the grand total of "British, PL proven, young(ish)". I mean I get that it's good to have a British core but it's still mental money. AWB's fee was mental too but he looks like he could actually turn into a really great player, Maguire though? I dunno, we supposedly have this vast array of scouts yet we instead go for the most obvious PL option who probably won't improve us that much.

But then again I guess the alternative is to trust our scouts to find this top CB from abroad and end up with another Rojo or Bailly, so maybe it is worth the fee for that alone.
It's fairly unimaginative as an approach but considering how last season ended up being a bit of a disaster it appears we're prioritising stability and looking for obvious, immediate improvements even if they're not necessarily spectacular. In that regard Maguire fits the bill. It's not remarkably exciting, but a decent deal all the same.

UncleBob

Sorry but that's too much if it now means we won't address the obvious MF issues. If Dybala or Bruno come in as well its an ok window I guess..
If we sign Dybala we've spent close to £200mill sorting out our defense and attack. Midfield is still a massive gap, unfortunately.

OoopsMisclick

While Maguire is a good defender, I think there were better alternatives out there for that price.
Oh well, OGS got his man. I hope both prove me wrong :)

Tiber

2009: £80m for Cristiano Ronaldo.
2019: £80m for Harry Maguire.

Pretty crazy :houllier:
Feck that. Have you seen what a Freddo costs these days?

And that's without Arab States and Oil companies pumping billions into the Freddo industry

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
VVD was not worth 75m either. He was a good but not great player at a time when 50m got you top class. He stepped up massively and with that, 75m became the new norm. If Maguire steps up (I wouldn't want to call it either way) then nobody will blink at 80m in a couple of years.
Maguire could step up, sure, but VVD already had basically every attribute you could want from a top center back. Great in the air, great positioning, composed on the ball, great passer, quick etc. etc. so it was always likely he would make the step up. Maguire lacks some of those attributes, especially pace, so it's not remotely as close to being as sure a thing as VVD was.

Look, he might be as good as VVD, time will tell, but I'd be amazed if he was.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
In an ideal world a good scouting team would be a bit better at unearthing hidden talents for less money, but easier said than done, especially when we need a fairly immediate solution. Even if he'll be nowhere near Vidic/Ferdinand level I suspect he'll be dependable at worst for us.
Yup, immediate solution not only for the fans and the team, but also for Glazers and Ed who need CL spot just like we do, for all different and same reasons.

If we had plan few years ago how to build this team, there could be no need for Maguire, but now when we're days from matches against Chelsea and Wolves I feel bit safer knowing Maguire can protect De Gea from high crosses and lead the line, perhaps even an entire team.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
All we need now is Howard Nurse to confirm our interest :drool:

Amarsdd

So we end up paying what they wanted from the start... why waste all these weeks?!

I don’t think he’s worth the money, but that’s the market these days. I think he’ll prove to be a solid buy who will add consistency to our defence. Also a goal threat off corners.
I suppose that's what negotiation is, right? sometimes it works (AWB -> asking price was 60+ mil and we got him for 45+mil) and sometimes it doesn't like this when you have a club that doesn't want or need to sell

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Was VVD top ten in the world when he was signed in your opinion? Or David Luiz? Genuine question
To be fair, VVD's fee was seen as extortionate at the time and few people could have predicted how genuinely superb he'd end up being. Maguire's got the potential to do well for us here but it'd be incredibly unrealistic to expect him to hit those heights.

Although still, I do think it's an increasingly moot complaint. If clubs have a ton of money to spend then they're going to spend it: we've been fairly naff when it comes to finding value in the market in recent years, but it's not exactly bankrupted us all the same. Although spending more money will (and should) heap greater expectations on the side this season.

dove

Was VVD top ten in the world when he was signed in your opinion? Or David Luiz? Genuine question
Not every player becomes like VVD and Luiz never been in TOP 10 and will never be. I too think that £80-85m for Maguire is an out of season April fools joke but we are used to wasting money so who cares.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Ramos, Umtiti, Pique, Koulibaly, van Dijk, Laporte, Godin, Silva, Bonucci, Varane - is he better than any of them?
No way. Alderweireld, Romagnoli, Vertonghen, Chiellini. Albeit some have moved and are older, but still.
I too didnt think VVD was worth 75m, but i do think he looked a better defender in general at Saints than Maguire at leicester. All opinions, though

The Harry Maguire thread on Bluemoon should be full of bitterness for those wishing to laugh at the backtracking

Status
Not open for further replies.