g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Harry Maguire | Signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
You're Man Utd, it's the Glazers money, why worry over an extra 20 mill here or there if you get the player the club wants. People thought the VVD money was nuts at the time, looks cheap now.
You are underestimate the impact of pay over the odds. Other clubs would be asking more if we are interested in their players. Examples are offering Sanchez astronomical wage, you would say the same thing on why worry on extra 10-20 million in wage, but fact is other players would expect more too.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
That's what people said when they questioned the price of VVD 18 months ago, as already said here, that seems cheap now
It is because VVD is currently the best defender in the world. Do people honestly think Maguire has the potential to be the best?

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Although I am totally against paying over the odds, and only rate Maguire at around 50m. If they accept 70m + Jones, they will have the deal (Jones is worth -20m, so it evens out at 50m I guess)

davidmichael

Yes but Levy will rip us off.
Levy has no say as Alderweireld has a clause in his contract allowing him to leave for £25 million at any time this summer transfer window from July 1st onwards, if we can move Bailly and Rojo (maybe get £35-£40 million for the pair) we could sign both Alderweireld and Maguire.

Selbourne

Personally I'm a big Harry Maguire fan. Have been from his Sheffield United days. His trajectory has been steadily upwards since then, surely a good sign. Do I think he's worth 70m? Instinctively a loud No. But who's worth what's being paid for them in these crazy market days? We've lacked the ability to play out of defence with any semblance of composure for a few years. It's one of the reasons we're always under so much pressure in games. Maguire is one of the best centre backs on the ball globally. I think he'll make a massive difference to our game. Especially if we could get a DM with an engine to replace the fading Matic. Are there alternatives to be found? Very possibly. But if he's what we get, I'll be quite chuffed with it...
Amen brother

PieCrust

Bottom line is that Maguire is better than CB on the United roster. I guess that's not saying much, but there it is. £70m is a fair price for a decent player in this market, especially when everyone knows we desperately need help at CB.

I think we end up signing him this year, but it will be closer to £85m with all the add-ons before it's over.

The comparison's to VVD are absurd, as VVD is the much better player, but also his transfer was a couple of years ago and things haven't gotten cheaper since then.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
It is because VVD is currently the best defender in the world. Do people honestly think Maguire has the potential to be the best?
Why not? Was VVD the best defender in the world for Southampton? People were laughing at his price tag but I doubt any scouser will give a dusty feck about it now. It’s supply and demand — we desperately need a top CB and Leicester currently have that CB. Other options are either unwilling to come or don’t fit our profile so of course we’re going to get our pants pulled down.

Zed 101

It amazes me that people think that Maquire was going to ever cost less than £80+ million, that doesn't mean we have to buy him at that price, but LC wanted that much last season, Maquire is Leicester's best defender and England's best defender, LC do not need to or want to sell, LC have won the PL more recently than we have and are pushing top 6, would not be surprised to see them finish above Arsenal or Chelsea nest seaon (or us if it goes a bit pear shaped).

When VVD was sold to Pool he was not rated the way he is now, how much would VVD be in the current market?

So who is a better option? spend another 40-50 million to get Koulibay? Diop looks likely to cost as much if not more.... so what we go for a player who is inexperienced in the PL maybe somebody from France or Spain? how did Baily work out (still think there is a player in there), Italy? how did Darmian work out? at any rate we will still need to stump up 50+ million for a defender from those leagues.

The only realistic option from abroad would be to take a punt on a player from eastern or northern Europe, will not be PL ready but will cost a fraction.

What about lower half of the PL, can think of a few candidates, but with money in the PL being what it is, we are likely to be hit with a massive price tag as per Diop anyway.

What about the Championship, again there are a few with potential but again they are inexperienced in the PL the offset is the best defender in the CL is probably only going to cost less than 20 million.

So to Maquire, he is much better than any of the central defenders we currently have, immediately he improves our aerial defending which cost us several goals last season, he is miles better at playing out from the back, errors from which again costs us several goals last season, he reads the game well and most importantly is a leader capable of organising the defense, poor defensive organisation cost us goals last season, speed wise... is he really that slow? I do not see it, also bear in mind if he is doing his job properly should speed really be the most important thing, also the man has some integrity, he wants to join us, but he will not down tools or throws his toys out of the pram, could use a few more loyal players these days.

In Maquire we would have a top if not elite defender who is PL hardened and ready, an England poster boy to boot, would love to buy him for less money but that ain't going to happen, who else we gonna get.... realistically who else ticks the boxes and would not throw up the same financial issues, or worse?

Last edited:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Maguire is one of the best passers and headers of the ball in the league. He looks like more of a leader than any of our current lot.

Now we've clearly identified him as what we want, i hope we get him.

Dahnsouff

Supports
Leicester City
Why not? Was VVD the best defender in the world for Southampton? People were laughing at his price tag but I doubt any scouser will give a dusty feck about it now. It’s supply and demand — we desperately need a top CB and Leicester currently have that CB. Other options are either unwilling to come or don’t fit our profile so of course we’re going to get our pants pulled down.
Excellent summary.

Unsure which way this will go, but seems like the many incomings planned (For Leicester - JJ, Perez, Tielemans, Another CM and a RW) are pre-planned/nearing completion, and NOT requiring the Maguire sale.

Weird times.

Robertd0803

Id love to see Maguire sign for us. Would have loved to see him sign last year and havent changed that opinion over the last 12 months.

De Ligt would have been a dream signing, Koulibally (sp?) is not going to leave Napoli anytime soon and Umtiti doesnt have any knees. Dont know if theres any truth in the Dias links from a while back earlier either.
And Toby seems set on not coming here.

The price tag is somewhat painful but we only have ourselves to blame for being in this mess to begin with. Jose could see the defence wasnt up to it last summer (in fairness we all could) and yet nothing was done. We then concede a record amount of goals so a top central defender should be top priority.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Why do people act like the £70M is their money and they actually know what Maguire is worth?
Because we don't have unlimited money? So if we go that high we won't have as much else where.
It's that simple.

Red_Aaron

Been a big fan since his Hull days, would love him here.

Good age, great profile, would instantly be our best defender.

If we can get him and fernandes in before the tour then I don't give a toss about the fees, just get them done

Axle17

VVD wasnt the same VVD at Southampton as he is now at Liverpool. Klopp put a lot of work and faith into him.
Maybe the same can happen once Ole has Maguire?

We can't spend 300m replacing our entire defense. So the best thing is to spend the 70m on Maguire now until we can start moving on Jones & Smalling.
This needs to happen.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
Because we don't have unlimited money? So if we go that high we won't have as much else where.
It's that simple.
You think the negotiation team haven’t factored that in? I’d imagine they would have a plan of what’s the maximum they’d pay for all their targets. If we offered 70m it’s because it’s within our plan/budget.

Last edited:

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
I think most people are in agreement he would be an instant upgrade over anyone we have currently. And at 26 he has plenty of years in front of him to be at the heart of our defence.

But is it an upgrade worth forking out 80mil for? For that sort of money should we have been in for De Ligt? Or is Alderweireld for 25mil a better option, albeit a different kind of CB. Or moreover is the difference between how good Maguire is compared to Alderweireld 55mil worth. And at what point do we pull out, what is too much? If City come in with 82 do we go to 85? 90?

Bestietom

We are flogging a dead horse again as Maguire wants City transfer. We should be looking at someone else.

ZenMaster Coltrane

Why are people so concerned over the number? At a club with no competent structure, no vision, and incompetent leadership, people are worried about spending when the owners have been taking boatloads of money out of the club. You're not going to take cheap talents and 'develop' your way out of this to a title with a Norwegian league manager. This is after all the club 'that can buy anyone in the world'. The wage structure is a far bigger concern than whether Maguire is 'worth' £80m.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Why are people so concerned over the number? At a club with no competent structure, no vision, and incompetent leadership, people are worried about spending when the owners have been taking boatloads of money out of the club. You're not going to take cheap talents and 'develop' your way out of this to a title with a Norwegian league manager. This is after all the club 'that can buy anyone in the world'. The wage structure is a far bigger concern than whether Maguire is 'worth' £80m.
For that money we could get someone world class though...

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
It's that simple.
You don't even know how much money the club have, nor what the budget is for transfers. Everyone is just taking figures guessed by the press and then pretending to be accountants. You should be more worried about United getting quality players than how much they cost...

UnitedObsession99

Although I am totally against paying over the odds, and only rate Maguire at around 50m. If they accept 70m + Jones, they will have the deal (Jones is worth -20m, so it evens out at 50m I guess)
I think Young literally cost us £50m last year by being a very big reason for not making top 4, so throw him in too!

Erics_Collar

What do we do if Leicester want £90m which is being reported?

Surely that's more than we'd be willing to pay. But who do we bring in then, if we're acknowledging that De Ligt, Koulibaly and Toby aren't attainable either...

nainaisson

Choice between us and City?

/thread because he is not coming here
City aren't going to pay £70m for Slabhead. Leicester are lying about the extent of City's interest to drive up the price, and City aren't going to brief the press about their lies because they want us to waste as much of our money as possible.

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
It's that simple.
We might not have as much elsewhere but there's no guarentee the other players we are after will come to us either. Let's take it one transfer at a time and if we have to over pay then I would rather in happen on the defence than anywhere else on the pitch.

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
For that money we could get someone world class though...
What World class defenders are available that would come to united at the minute? With the uncertainty surrounding Pogba ddg and lukaku and the previous seasons collapse its not that an attractive proposition. Yes we can offer serious wages but to what end?

red_de_pologne

In the grand scheme of things I doubt there's a big difference if we spend total 180 or 210 or 230 million, I hope we get him whether it's 75 or 85 mil.

Ban

I love how people act like it's a flea market or a yard sale.
For that money we could get a Koulibaly or some other wc player like he's waiting round the corner and is eager to come only if we would ask. Not to mention the clubs.

Sparky Rhiwabon

What World class defenders are available that would come to united at the minute? With the uncertainty surrounding Pogba ddg and lukaku and the previous seasons collapse its not that an attractive proposition. Yes we can offer serious wages but to what end?
Liverpool got Van Dijk recently, City got Laporte, De Ligt is seemingly available. The players are or have been available, we have just chosen to go for more value players like Rojo, Bailly and Lindelof

NK86

Honestly don't care how much he costs. Main issue for me is he isn't good enough to improve us to the next level.

Status
Not open for further replies.