Harry Maguire | Signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiber

If City are also.in the race I'd be pretty shocked if he ends up here

3KDré

As I said earlier in the thread his pace is deceptive, he would be your second fastest defender and Manchester City's fastest:

(unfortunately I don't have the privileges to embed images yet unless some kind person can do it for me?)
These top speed stats aren't a very good tool to see how fast someone is. It doesn't take into account how long/how much distance it takes to reach that speed, nor does it show how long they can maintain that speed. Jagielka topped these charts years ago too.

Fıstıkçı Şahap

I think a lot of people would. I find it strange that not only wouldn’t you, but you think other people wouldn’t either.

The Guardian made a list in december and had him ranked as the 79th best player in the world, only behind Varane, Ramos, VVD, Umtiti, Chiellini, Koulibaly, Pavard and Bonucci, ahead of Pique, Stones, De Ligt and Gimenez.

And that was the first list that showed up when I googled ‘top 100 footballers in the world’.
TBH, I can't take a list who ranks Maguire or Pavard ahead of players like Stones, Pique, Gimenez seriously. It's probably based on the World Cup performances mostly which can't be an indicator of the actual level of a player. Because we all know Maguire is not a better CB than Pique, Gimenez or De Ligt. This is a much more accurate list and while I know it's not the best source, I prefer to trust the databases of Football Manager and FIFA than the lazy English journalism.

The point I was trying to make was, if you ask a football fan outside of the UK to make a top 20 defenders list, they'll probably name the most common names like Ramos, Varane, Godin, Gimenez, Chiellini, Koulibaly (and some new names like De Ligt after last season) etc. and would not include Maguire in their list. Maybe even in their top 30. Don't know why he's that highly rated in England. He is nothing special and we're talkin about this guy as the possible the most expensive defender ever.

Yours was/is a massive overreaction to a potentially fairly decent signing. I don’t like the way the club is run much either, but it’s far from a joke if we’ve identified him as a signing we need and can get.

Whether we pay £70m, £90m or £20m doesn’t matter a great deal - what else is that money going to do exactly, except sit in a bank account or go into the Glazers’ pockets. I doubt we’ll sign more than 2 players now anyway, so it’s hardly going to affect our transfer budget for this window.

Don’t kid yourself, there are many, many worse potential signings, and there are many worse run clubs. Would you swap with Newcastle or Arsenal right now?
Show me a club that's willing to offer £70+ m for Maguire and I'll show you a worse run club than us. Newcastle have a bad owner who is not interested in making investment to the team and only cares about his money but at least they spend wisely and make some interesting signings for their caliber like Almiron, Wijnaldum, Mitrovic, Thauvin, Cabella, Sissoko etc. Same with Arsenal. They have a shit owner who doesn't want to spend much on the team but even when they do, I didn't see them spending stupid amounts on mediocre players.

On the other hand, we have the money, we spend it but we spend a fortune on the absolute dross and don't improve or only make a slight improvement on our squad. We act like a 12 years old kid playing FM and don't know the value of the money or don't have any insight about the players. Do you see Maguire being a part of a team that beat Man City and Liverpool in the title race? (Not saying we're going for the title but...) Or him making a lot of improvement and being one of the best CBs in the world in the future? I can't. This move doesn't make sense to me. Especially at that price. I'd rather Bailly to Maguire TBH.

Reactions: Grinner

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
It is a tough number as it’s close to VvD money. :nervous:
Somehow I doubt opposition fan forums will have threads praising Maguire.

Marcus

Since we've already offered so much money, I believe there is no way this does not get done.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
As I said earlier in the thread his pace is deceptive, he would be your second fastest defender and Manchester City's fastest:

(unfortunately I don't have the privileges to embed images yet unless some kind person can do it for me?)
Feck me, Jones is fast. Now if only He actually does something useful with it than to chase the ball He gives away.

Fer

For 70m (+Darmian) I would prefer to sign Koulibaly. I hope we don't end up paying 70m for Maguire while Juventus sign De Ligt for the same amount of money.

Who would you prefer between Maguire and Diop?

Mr. Meeseeks

Top speed is close to a meaningless statistic in this sense as another poster tried to explain.

Here is an analogy: Which car is faster? The Bugatti Veyron Super Sport (267 mph) or the Tesla Model S (155 mph)? The answer is that for the vast majority of typical driving situations the Tesla is actually equal to the Bugatti. The reason for this is they both take similar times to go from 0-60 mph.

Most people don’t drive around constantly at the top speed of their cars so the acceleration of the car is more important than its top speed when judging its speed in everyday situations.

Similarly, footballers aren’t running around at their top speeds, so using that statistic alone is almost a useless metric when judging how quick a player is. You need to take acceleration into account somehow.

Hanky panky

It isn't that easy to sign Koulibaly. Maybe he isn't for sale and/or maybe he don't want to come here. Im sure United would take him but its much more complicated. If Maguire is the best we can get, then get him. He's better than any our current centre backs. Solid player, Premier league proven and likely want to play for United. And you can't compare price straight to VVD. Like we have seen, inflation is like 10% up per season. And he wasn't that big name that time what he is right now. He would cost over 100M right now.

Mr Smith

Insane that Leicester are holding out for another 10 million here. He's a good player but worth nowhere near this much; they should be taking the money and running.

Hanky panky

Insane that Leicester are holding out for another 10 million here. He's a good player but worth nowhere near this much; they should be taking the money and running.
After all it will be something like 70+10 i guess. If they just can make it happen...

serxyo

I just feel like we should be investing somewhere else, our main problem is still not being able to build up an attack. We can’t keep the ball in possesion when we play away, we can’t keep the ball or create chances against big teams. Splashing 70M for Maguire? I’m not sure that’s the most important thing at the moment.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
De Ligt is considerd the world's Number 1 CB. And he's to Juventus for 62m if we wanted to sign him Ajax would turn down 80m for him.

We always pay more for players we should stand our ground more.
I remember Ajax fan in here said Ajax will try to avoid bidding war, they aren’t going to hold him and willing to let him go for reasonable price.

If Ajax being stubborn they can make the fee to be £90m or more.

2 different situation with Leicester City.

minh_loc_xoay

you seem to be under the mistaken impression that you can force our hand in some way, you really can’t
I just feel like we should be investing somewhere else, our main problem is still not being able to build up an attack. We can’t keep the ball in possesion when we play away, we can’t keep the ball or create chances against big teams. Splashing 70M for Maguire? I’m not sure that’s the most important thing at the moment.
Is Harry Maguire good on the ball and build-up? Is he a beast in the air?
I don't watch Leicester and him often enough to know. :D

Patrick08

Koulibally isn’t for a sale at even close to a reasonable price and he’s signed a new deal, why do people still bring him up like he’s an option?
Players head turn if their is a real interest. What player doesn't want to see a last big contract at the age of 28?

Artorias

For 70m (+Darmian) I would prefer to sign Koulibaly. I hope we don't end up paying 70m for Maguire while Juventus sign De Ligt for the same amount of money.

Who would you prefer between Maguire and Diop?
I'll bid 50 M + Darmian for Diop. Maguire saga just gone insane and boring.

Okey

Personally I'm a big Harry Maguire fan. Have been from his Sheffield United days. His trajectory has been steadily upwards since then, surely a good sign. Do I think he's worth 70m? Instinctively a loud No. But who's worth what's being paid for them in these crazy market days? We've lacked the ability to play out of defence with any semblance of composure for a few years. It's one of the reasons we're always under so much pressure in games. Maguire is one of the best centre backs on the ball globally. I think he'll make a massive difference to our game. Especially if we could get a DM with an engine to replace the fading Matic. Are there alternatives to be found? Very possibly. But if he's what we get, I'll be quite chuffed with it...

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
I still think fully fit Bailly is better than him..
Bailly is what I imagine William Prunier would’ve been like if we’d signed him full time. If Titus Bramble and Marcos Rojo had a baby, it’d be called Eric Bailly. With Phil “treatment room” Jones throw in as an uncle for good measure. If there was a world record for jumping as high as possible, while somehow still getting your head closer to the ground than when you started, Eric Bailly would hold it. If you pick him in FM, you have to instruct him to “always stay on his feet” and “go easy” on the tackles. But he still gets sent off in every key moment.

If I’m not being clear; he’s fecking terrible.

Patrick08

Do I think he's worth 70m? Instinctively a loud No. But who's worth what's being paid for them in these crazy market days?
70m plus for top 4 ambitions with some decent football from the back? Will we ever be astute defensively with Lindelof and Maguire as centre-back pairing to challenge for EPL and Ucl trophy in the future? Highly doubt.

So if you look at the big picture 70m plus is being quoted or bid for top 4 ambitions. Aren't their any alternatives for a decent price for a club whose goals realistically will be top 4? Surely there are.

Relfy

Is he ever going to reach Rio/Vidic levels though? He's 26 now and probably nearly at his peak.. Wouldnt you rather sign a younger CB who we can mould into something far better or Toby who is already ahead of Maguire?
Well in my opinion there isn't a defender around capable of Rio/Vidic levels. Toby is a good option and a cheaper one too, but a short term option. I think Maguire is a safer bet to the extent that he still has the hunger and desire to improve. We still have Axel on the books who can and should get plenty of game time. It's possible he goes back to Villa this season, which is a move I'd agree with, and then have him compete with Lindelof next season.

SER19

I want the team to improve and have more leaders, maguire will do both if we get him. It's overpaying but it's a reality of where we are until we're good again with more players wanting to join us. Eg de Ligt would have if we were a competitive side.

Alternatives at the moment are

Koulibaly- probably looking at close to 30m more and is a little older I believe? Without PL experience

Skriniar - what would inter say to 60-70m. I think they'd at least consider it.

Ruben dias- don't know much of him

Diop- West ham would want similar fee, I'd lean slightly towards maguire now though Diop may prove that wrong.

Ake- not for me. Think he's massively over rated by many and always looks ready to make a mistake though Bournemouth style might expose him more.

Then there's a few other names I can't say I've seen. I'd take Alderweireld for sure but think it would have happened by now.

I think we should have went hard after godin.

redIndianDevil

That's his type of deals no doubt. :lol:

He didn't sell him the British core properly then.
Don't know why Woodward gets the flak for the Fellaini fiasco. That should be clearly on Moyes, he wanted Fabregas initially and was waiting for them and only when he knew Fabregas was not moving we signed Fellaini.

minh_loc_xoay

Don't know why Woodward gets the flak for the Fellaini fiasco. That should be clearly on Moyes, he wanted Fabregas initially and was waiting for them and only when he knew Fabregas was not moving we signed Fellaini.
The Thiago thread... Those were the days! :lol:

redpatron

I love how people think alderweireld would want to move from champions league runner up to Europa league contenders and spend his last prime years fighting in top 6 babysitting Chris smalling and Phil Jones. We already dumped one of his buddies and looking to offload the other, he ain’t coming here. There’s nothing here for him besides a burning trash can to put out.

The guy is going to juventus next season, everyone knows it.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I'm surprised so many people are against this signing. I don't think we should pay 90 million for him, but he's not a bad player at all and would be a first choice defender for us for quite a while.
He is not bad, but doesn’t means we should pay over the odds, at all cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.