Harry Maguire | Signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

romufc

Won most duels in the air last season. is good on the ball, and can tackle. Only set back is his price.??
Some of these stats can be skewed. He is good in the air but for a Leicester team that for most of the season played Counter attacking football which meant they let teams come at them = more crosses into the box = more attackers, so he will have to make interceptions and clearances. When he makes a move to a bigger club, his positioning and anticipation will be tested.

For England, in the summer he looked suspect against a Dutch team that didnt have the greatest attack.

Overrated, overpriced, will not improve the team like what most people think.

BestRed

Far too much nonsense about pace in this thread. Both Maguire and Lindelof are fast enough. Good defenders aren’t built on pace. It would be an excellent partnership. Centre backs that rely on pace are more often than not shite defenders. Pace is just a bonus.
Yup, don't remember the likes of Tony Adams, John Terry or Franco Baresi being blessed with blinding pace, but wouldn't mind having any of them in our backline. For the best defenders its more about positioning and reading of the game in my opinion.

Saf94

Anticipation and positioning are almost everything for a defender, the other aspects that people often forget is agility and explosivity, the ability to turn and quickly change direction is more important than top speed, players are rarely at full speed.
Good point and I agree with this, I’m just not convinced Maguire and Lindelof as a pair possess these skills

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
Some of these stats can be skewed. He is good in the air but for a Leicester team that for most of the season played Counter attacking football which meant they let teams come at them = more crosses into the box = more attackers, so he will have to make interceptions and clearances. When he makes a move to a bigger club, his positioning and anticipation will be tested.

For England, in the summer he looked suspect against a Dutch team that didnt have the greatest attack.

Overrated? Generalizing a bit there, chum
Overpriced? Definitely.
Won't improve the team? Pull the other one :houllier:

Bestietom

That's no excuse. He still had to win these duels. He is a good defender, it's the price I am questioning. I would rather we went for Milenkovic.

Langers7274

Overpriced? Definitely.

Doesn't matter who UTD go in for, they'all be overpriced (exc James), teams and agents alike know UTD are desperate for quality, for years now the market has always been one price for one team then add a few/lot more ££££ for UTD. Personally think there are better CD out there than Maguire but he would definitely be an upgrade on Smalling, Jones, Bailley and Rojo. However, for that kind of money I'd rather we have a go for Ruben Dias, for his age, looked ok in the Nations League!

romufc

Overpriced? Definitely.
The reason I said over rated - do you think he is worth £80m?
He is a good defender but surely his price is £40m which is what I would rate him as, a solid CB but not one that will solve our defensive problems, be a leader?

Well, he will improve us but not to the extent everyone is hoping, most CB in top 8 clubs are better than Smalling, Rojo, Jones.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
He is a good defender but surely his price is £40m which is what I would rate him as, a solid CB but not one that will solve our defensive problems, be a leader?

Well, he will improve us but not to the extent everyone is hoping, most CB in top 8 clubs are better than Smalling, Rojo, Jones.
So, what you're actually saying is :
He's overpriced, overpriced and he will improve our team.

I agree.

Langers7274

He is a £40m defender but with all the money in the PL now smaller clubs do not need to sell their best players for minimal price tags and post Neymar has just seen the market go crazy, does anyone think AWB is worth £50m? Good player I know but no european football experience, no full international caps. No way he is £50m but that's the market now

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Accceleration (Fifa Index)
Maguire ---- 42
Jones ------- 54
Smalling ---- 63
Rojo -------- 68
Linderof ---- 74
Bailly ------- 75
Tuanzebe --- 78

Accceleration is Maguire's weakest defensive stat.
What is that supposed to be? How do they quantify it?

romufc

That's no excuse. He still had to win these duels. He is a good defender, it's the price I am questioning. I would rather we went for Milenkovic.
I agree he is a good defender - but £80m is surely a joke. For that money you have to compare to to De ligt, VVD, koulibaly Varane etc.. In my opinion he is not the int he top CB tier. If you want to challenge, you need a CB that is top tier.

VVD
Pique
Ramos
Godin
De Ligt
Cheilini,
Vertonghen,
Thiago Silva

These are CB last season for the top clubs, do you think Maguire fits in that category?

romufc

So, what you're actually saying is :
He's overpriced, overpriced and he will improve our team.

I agree.
Yes, but wouldn't you want a CB who will improve us and become world class? If the fee was £40-60m but over £70m for a player who has not played any European football?

JPRouve

Scout
Forget it Jake, it's Fifa.
I know but EASport actually do some data analytics, the only issue is that since I don't know the recipe I can't really tell if it's relevant to anything. If I'm not mistaken Opta professional stats are supposed to have these type of informations too.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Maguire ---- 42
Jones ------- 54
Smalling ---- 63
Rojo -------- 68
Linderof ---- 74
Bailly ------- 75
Tuanzebe --- 78

Yeah, it's not like I argued Maguire has good acceleration.

And what is this fifa index?

Edit: ffs is that fifa 19 rating?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I feel acceleration is a better stat to look at because the centre backs will often be needing speed in recovery situations.

But agreed not sure what fifa stats are?!

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
Yes, but wouldn't you want a CB who will improve us and become world class? If the fee was £40-60m but over £70m for a player who has not played any European football?
I would love it! Thing is, there is no way any of us can know if Maguire is this mystery defender you're dreaming of. There is no certainty. Nada! He might actually even be worth 80mill. We will only know once we see what he brings to the team and how he improves.

Christy Browne

Maguire ---- 42
Jones ------- 54
Smalling ---- 63
Rojo -------- 68
Linderof ---- 74
Bailly ------- 75
Tuanzebe --- 78

Please tell me you're not using FIFA 19 stats to prove anything. Jesus this thread is embarassing :eek:

Mark Pawelek

What is that supposed to be? How do they quantify it?
Previously there's a discussion about Accceleration, in this thread. FifaIndex Stats say it's Maguire's weakest defensive stat. Did you agree with that?, or do you think Maguire has a weaker defensive stat than his accceleration?

Q: How do they quantify it?
A: All their stats are percentages. I don't know how it's allocated but I guess someone watches matches, compares duels, and sees which player is quickest to the ball. I can't think of another way apart from an athletic test (which I bet coaches keep secret).

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham

If you paid £50M for Wan Bissaka, Maguire has to be worth more than him.

JPRouve

Scout
Previously there's a discussion about Accceleration, in this thread. FifaIndex Stats say it's Maguire's weakest defensive stat. Did you agree with that?, or do you think Maguire has a weaker defensive stat than his accceleration?

Q: How do they quantify it?
A: All their stats are percentages. I don't know how it's allocated but I guess someone watches matches, compares duels, and sees which player is quickest to the ball. I can't think of another way apart from an athletic test (which I bet coaches keep secret).
I have no idea, I think that he lacks agility and his acceleration doesn't seem good but that's only a feeling not a stat and I don't really know how I would compare it to his reading of the game, positioning, decision making and anticipation. Also I don't know what to make of FIFA index, I have no experience with it which is why I asked you these questions.

Last edited:

Dahnsouff

Supports
Leicester City
Bang on the money. AWB has one season to refer too, where as Harry has several plus some impressive performances for England.

So the OP said, 40m for Maguire io fair...after paying 50m for AWB.

You do this to yourselves, you really do. :nono:

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
His acceleration is 8 out of 20 on Football Manager if anyone is interested, not 100% but I would go with them more than FIFA.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
The importance of quickness is very relative. If the player is very good at reading the game and his defensive unit as a whole is functioning well then it can be fairly irrelevant, even if the player is part of a high defensive line.

Often that's one of the biggest question marks when moving a CB to a bigger club though. Because most smaller clubs don't have or want to commit as many players to their attack and thus put a lot less individual responsibility on their defenders.

romufc

How do you come to that conclusion?
Does that mean if Sanchez is getting 350k a week, all new signings should be on that?

Wan Bisakka is 21 - potential to be our right back for 10 years.

Mark Pawelek

The argument for Maguire is he's a better defender than any United currently have. I agree.
But is Maguire a top 4 defender? Does not look like it because 6 teams conceded fewer goals than Leicester last season.

PL Goals (2018-19). Ordered by goals conceded.

------------ For ---- Against
Liverpool -- 89 ---- 22
Man City -- 95 ---- 23
Chelsea --- 63 ---- 39
Spurs ----- 67 ---- 39
Everton --- 54 ---- 46
Wolves ---- 47 ---- 46
Leicester -- 51 ---- 48
Newcastle-- 42 ---- 48
Arsenal --- 73 ---- 51
Man Utd -- 65 ---- 54

Last edited:

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
The argument for Maguire is he's a better defender than any United currently have. I agree.
But is Maguire a top 4 defender? Does not look like it because 6 teams conceded fewer goals than Leicester last season.

Goals (2018-19). Ordered by goals conceded.

Liverpool -- 89 ---- 22
Man City -- 95 ---- 23
Chelsea --- 63 ---- 39
Spurs ----- 67 ---- 39
Everton --- 54 ---- 46
Wolves ---- 47 ---- 46
Leicester -- 51 ---- 48
Newcastle-- 42 ---- 48
Arsenal --- 73 ---- 51
Man Utd -- 65 ---- 54
What? How can you assess that based on team performance? This is insane.

JPRouve

Scout

Liverpool -- 89 ---- 22
Man City -- 95 ---- 23
Chelsea --- 63 ---- 39
Spurs ----- 67 ---- 39
Everton --- 54 ---- 46
Wolves ---- 47 ---- 46
Leicester -- 51 ---- 48
Newcastle-- 42 ---- 48
Arsenal --- 73 ---- 51
Man Utd -- 65 ---- 54
The issue with this stat, is that it tells us absolutely nothing about Maguire, teams defend with 11 players. If you take United most of our chronic defensive issues come from the six players in fron of the back four, they seldomly slow down or contain opposing attacks, they barely contribute to anything and the best way to play against us is to simply run on straight line down the middle, no one will even try to stop you.
Now if you look at Leicester their fullbacks aren't good defensively and only Ndidi is defensively proficient in midfield.

Liverpool -- 89 ---- 22
Man City -- 95 ---- 23
Chelsea --- 63 ---- 39
Spurs ----- 67 ---- 39
Everton --- 54 ---- 46
Wolves ---- 47 ---- 46
Leicester -- 51 ---- 48
Newcastle-- 42 ---- 48
Arsenal --- 73 ---- 51
Man Utd -- 65 ---- 54
Irrelevant statistic and analysis. Utd had one of the best defences in the league under LVG with Smalling and Blind at the back, but we just kept the ball and didn’t attack.

You can’t appropriate goals conceded as a team as a deciding factor of how good a player is.

Far better to just watch how good a player is rather than dig out stats.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

Liverpool -- 89 ---- 22
Man City -- 95 ---- 23
Chelsea --- 63 ---- 39
Spurs ----- 67 ---- 39
Everton --- 54 ---- 46
Wolves ---- 47 ---- 46
Leicester -- 51 ---- 48
Newcastle-- 42 ---- 48
Arsenal --- 73 ---- 51
Man Utd -- 65 ---- 54

Is Lingard a better attacker than Hazard, because United scored more goals than Chelsea?

macheda14

Liverpool -- 89 ---- 22
Man City -- 95 ---- 23
Chelsea --- 63 ---- 39
Spurs ----- 67 ---- 39
Everton --- 54 ---- 46
Wolves ---- 47 ---- 46
Leicester -- 51 ---- 48
Newcastle-- 42 ---- 48
Arsenal --- 73 ---- 51
Man Utd -- 65 ---- 54
That’s a silly metric. The season before Van Dijk left halfway, they were 8th in goals conceded.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
How do you come to that conclusion?
Does that mean if Sanchez is getting 350k a week, all new signings should be on that?

Wan Bisakka is 21 - potential to be our right back for 10 years.
Whats Sanchez's wage got to do with anything?

With Wan Bisakka you are paying for talent and potential that he showed over 1 season, who has only played 42 professional games, I think he is a very good player by the way. With Maguire you are paying for a player who is probably the best CB his country has to offer, at a good age still not at his prime with a good experience of the league. Personally I think his value is around £60 - 70M, in relaiity though he will be sold for whatever Leicester want for him, he has four years left on his contract and doubt he would force a move.

Tel074

I thought he looked ok against the Dutch it was more Stones having a mare and Maguire bailing him out

romufc

Whats Sanchez's wage got to do with anything?

With Wan Bisakka you are paying for talent and potential that he showed over 1 season, who has only played 42 professional games, I think he is a very good player by the way. With Maguire you are paying for a player who is probably the best CB his country has to offer, at a good age still not at his prime with a good experience of the league. Personally I think his value is around £60 - 70M, in relaiity though he will be sold for whatever Leicester want for him, he has four years left on his contract and doubt he would force a move.
I could use the same thing back with the Sanchez, he is paid £350k cause he was the best attacker his country had to offer? that does not mean was right for this club?

He has good experience of the league but to say he is the best in for England with 0 European experience shows the lack of CB's in England. £60m maybe justified but not £80m. I rate him at £40 with £20m due to our desperation.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I could use the same thing back with the Sanchez, he is paid £350k cause he was the best attacker his country had to offer? that does not mean was right for this club?

He has good experience of the league but to say he is the best in for England with 0 European experience shows the lack of CB's in England. £60m maybe justified but not £80m. I rate him at £40 with £20m due to our desperation.
You paid Sanchez £350K a week cause he only effectively cost you £27M and he wasn't the best attacker in England at the time, there were major question marks over his mentality.

Mark Pawelek

That’s a silly metric. The season before Van Dijk left halfway, they were 8th in goals conceded.
You can' compare them. van Dijk is a class above Maguire.

This is my main beef. United buy 2nd rate players like Lukaku, Matic, Fred, Maguire but pay top rate prices for them. Same people who bought these 2nd rate players then whinge they can't be moved on because no one will buy them for what we paid, and no one will pay them the wages even close to what they get here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.