Harry Maguire | Signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paranoid Android

If we buy him I think that means Lindelof will be benched for the majority of the season. Need to pair someone like Maguire with a pacier defender.

Red00012

We should be throwing Jones in this deal, perhaps we are behind the scenes.
I could change perhaps with hoping also.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
This reminds me of the Matic transfer. The guy is clearly not mobile or athletic enough to play the aggresive and dynamic football we surely aspire to, why do we ignore that issue? We ignored that with Matic and look where that got us, why do we continue to sign these square pegs for round holes?

It’s very simple, we want to play attacking football. To play attacking football you need to play a high line, how is this guy going to play in a high line when he’s so slow and immobile, can someone explain that?
What are you talking about man, what the feck are you talking about? Who have you been watching. What more does he need to do? He's a Centre Back. He brings the ball forward better than any other in England. His distribution and ease on the ball has surpassed Stones a while ago. Why would he need to be mobile when he shields the keeper and brings the ball forward? At least make sense with the assessment, or, watch him play for Leicester, at the very least.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
We would easily pay 100m for De Ligt if he wanted to come here. He does not.
So boring! De Ligt doesn't want to come here or we would pay the required transfer fee, once again a member of this forum getting the real world confused with FIFA/Football Manager. :houllier:
You’ve both massively missed my point.

I’d be happy to get Maguire and I know full well we couldn’t get anyone like De Ligt but the principle of paying more for a worse player would grate on me. I’ve already stated I think Maguire is one of the best PL cbs around and I’d be happy to have him but does not a small part of you look at the fees suggested for him and think they are excessive given a greater talent may well go for 65m?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
You’ve both massively missed my point.

I’d be happy to get Maguire and I know full well we couldn’t get anyone like De Ligt but the principle of paying more for a worse player would grate on me. I’ve already stated I think Maguire is one of the best PL cbs around and I’d be happy to have him but does not a small part of you look at the fees suggested for him and think they are excessive given a greater talent may well go for 65m?
It doesn’t work that way though does it. Leicester don’t have to sell, they set the price they want and we pay it or we don’t.

Just because Ajax are happy to sell for cheaper doesn’t effect our deal required. Buying from other English clubs is always tricky.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Those stats don't surprise me whatsoever, and I agree with your other posts, @Dante .

Also, I really don't get how the narrative of his pace being an issue started. I've seen him a lot for Leicester (& England), and I can't remember him being done by pacy forwards. Leicester and England play high lines, too, so it's not like he's sitting back.

I'm not saying he's Smalling fast, but I really think his "lack of pace/mobility" has been overstated .

SwedishFish

If we buy him I think that means Lindelof will be benched for the majority of the season. Need to pair someone like Maguire with a pacier defender.
Lindelöf plays with Granqvist in the national team who is far from a pacy defender and they are very solid. I don't think he will be benched. Maguire and Lindelöf would be an excellent CB partnership.

Paranoid Android

Lindelöf plays with Granqvist in the national team who is far from a pacy defender and they are very solid. I don't think he will be benched. Maguire and Lindelöf would be an excellent CB partnership.
Premier League is a different beast. They will be exposed if played as a duo.

SwedishFish

Premier League is a different beast. They will be exposed if played as a duo.
Different beast? They've played against the best in the world.

Lindelöf has been solid with every partner and undoubtedly our best CB last season. Why would we bench him for Maguire?

Nights

Example. If Maguire was so good. Why didnt Juventus go for Maguire instead of De Ligt?So peoples who like Maguire, will say Maguire is better than De Ligt. Opposite. So players who are close to each others level. Its just a taste. A cup of tea like i said. I know ans accept peoples have different taste than mine. So no to endless discussion.
Because Juventus don’t have the resources. They’re already trying to low ball Ajax for Deligt and the transfer fee that Ajax set is lower than what Leicester has asked for Maguire.

Hawks2008

No, Lindelof has earned his spot in the team ahead of the likes of Jones, Smalling, Bailly, Rojo.

nameischarles

No, I don't think we will bench Lindelof for Maguire when Lindelof is at the moment our most trusted and best defender we got. Bailly, Jones, and Smalling are suited as being back up although I prefer to see Tuanzebe get the nod ahead of these 3 guys this season.

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
We should be throwing Jones in this deal, perhaps we are behind the scenes.
I could change perhaps with hoping also.
Any DOF who took Jones in trade would be the laughing stock of the Premier.

Sterling Archer

Very good comparison. It's very telling how little our fans know about defensive management when they say things like that. Very limited to all they know or common tandems from the likes of football video games and Sims

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Far too much nonsense about pace in this thread. Both Maguire and Lindelof are fast enough. Good defenders aren’t built on pace. It would be an excellent partnership. Centre backs that rely on pace are more often than not shite defenders. Pace is just a bonus.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
This reminds me of the Matic transfer. The guy is clearly not mobile or athletic enough to play the aggresive and dynamic football we surely aspire to, why do we ignore that issue? We ignored that with Matic and look where that got us, why do we continue to sign these square pegs for round holes?

It’s very simple, we want to play attacking football. To play attacking football you need to play a high line, how is this guy going to play in a high line when he’s so slow and immobile, can someone explain that?
He's an ideal player to play the highline tbh. His ability on the ball would allow him to step into our midfield and become a extra midfielder if needs be. We have very quick fullbacks and CBs to more than compensate for his lack of pace. He isn't any slower than De Ligt tbf.

haram

You would hope your fullbacks are alert to any balls in behind as well as they have the most pace.

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Those stats don't surprise me whatsoever, and I agree with your other posts, @Dante .

Also, I really don't get how the narrative of his pace being an issue started. I've seen him a lot for Leicester (& England), and I can't remember him being done by pacy forwards. Leicester and England play high lines, too, so it's not like he's sitting back.

I'm not saying he's Smalling fast, but I really think his "lack of pace/mobility" has been overstated .
The fact he can defend properly makes up for his lack of pace.

I quite like the player my only issue with the transfer (if its actually on at all) is the price.

Its far far too high, even in todays market.

Judas

Open to offers
I think the insane wages we often give to undeserving players is a way bigger thing to worry about than potentially overpaying with an initial transfer fee.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
It’s always like that on here. The same happened with Carrick. The rule of thumb is if the cafe does not want a player that the manager is interested in, chances are the player will do well for us.
Fellaini?

Hughes35

Kurt Zouma did very well for Everton on loan from Chelsea. France golden generation with Pogba. They won everything in the youth. Premier league proven and is using to the pace and toughness of premier league. Faster and better on the ball than Maguire. I only buy Maguire for his head ability. Im sure as a cb and football player as full packet. Zouma is better than Maguire.

I rate Zouma and Stones above Maguire. I have seen Zouma since he was 17. And i rate him really high. Mourinho bought him to Chelsea. But with Terry and Cahill and Mourinho trust more on the old players. Bad timing and the bench most of the time.

The question is how much Lampard rate Zouma. He definitive has decent pace and good acceleration.
Beside West Ham Diop has been mention on sky. And if Pep buy Maguire to partner Laporte. Then i would consider Stones and Zouma as others options. Zouma will cost lesser than Maguire. And Stones didnt play much last season, so he should be under 50£ mill. And Zouma is not so worst in the air too. Like i said, as fullpacket. A better cb option than Maguire. And two years younger.

Rumor is saying Everton is consider to buy Kurt Zouma. And im sure its buy a Everton will not regret. A really good ball playing CB and good in the air. Explsoive, aggresive and with a winning mentality. 190 is not a small boy.
Zouma and Keane did really well together last season. A really solid cb partnerships.
I like Zouma too but to say he's better on the ball than Maguire is nonsense.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
I don't like the idea of spending so much money on him. I can't see anything special about him and I say this regardless of his nationality.

Hughes35

Maguire is a very good CB and most people with a footballing back ground would attest to that. He's very good on the ball and is aerially very strong. The only thing he lacks is pace, but that shouldn't be a issue if he's paired with the correct CB.

Our issue hasn't been our scouting but rather our approach in the transfer market. I've already mentioned Moyes and how he vetoed the likes of Herrera, Thiago and Strootman to chase Fabregas and then Fellaini/Baines according to reports.

Van Gaal signed Blind and Rojo without the input of the club scouts. Rojo was signed after LVG analysed the Dutch defeat to Argentina in the world cup semi-final according to the man himself. Di Maria he name dropped afew times before we broke our transfer record to sign the Argentine who was coming off a great season at Madrid after starring in the Champions League final.
Falcao was another player Van Gaal wanted if you remember his press conferences where he mentioned the finishing capabilities of the Colombian were top class and he even let go of Welbeck to accommodate him. Schweinsteiger was another player that he signed on his own whim. Depay was another he knew well from the Dutch set up and didn't require a scout report.

Mourinho used his own independent scouts if you believe what Jason Burt of the Daily Telegraph reported.

We have the best scouts in the business. Our issue has been giving too much control to managers post Fergie which has cost us. A technical director/DoF would be the way forward and would provide much needed stability.
Agree with this and I've said it before but people will get a shock when he is paired with Jones (If he's fit) or most likely Smalling. I still think Maguire and Smalling would be beastly to be honest. Utterly Dominant in the air, Maguire the ball player and Smalling the pace.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Fellaini was not a flop for us. Yes he was often ridiculed but he was a decent player for us. He saved our skins many times, always have 100% and when a manager used him correctly (Jose) he was actually good. Not the best but certainly not a flop.
For the fee we paid he was a flop. You don't buy a 30m rated midfielder (which at the time was big money) to play him either as a reserve or pelt him with crosses. We're Manchester United not Burnley.

Seven Seas Sardines

I'd say he's better than solid. Check the stats I posted.

There's literally nobody else in Europe who can match his combination of passing and heading ability.

Those are the two things United are crying out for at centreback. And we're bidding big money for the one man who can solve both issues. It's two birds with one stone.
We're also crying out for a CB who can command the backline and be a leader to all our headless chickens in the middle. I doubt there's a better option than Maguire for what we need, starting to think he's a better choice than Koulibaly - he's also two years younger.
  • Good distributor of the ball
  • Tall and great aerial ability
  • Leader commanding the back four
  • Experienced enough to not become another headless chicken (Jones, Rojo, Smalling, Bailly) and helping youngsters Tuanzebe, AWB, Dalot, Shaw, Laird etc.

The Purley King

BBC now reporting that city aren’t prepared to pay the asking price.
Guess £80m should do it then!
Think I just sicked in my mouth a little.....

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Flicking through Ferdinand threads from 2002. The names and numbers are different but the caf sure is the same.

You have link for the thread?

I tried to search, not getting any threads from before 2008.

Red_toad

No, Lindelof has earned his spot in the team ahead of the likes of Jones, Smalling, Bailly, Rojo.
Earned his place ahead of Smalling when? Aside from when Ole first took over it's been pretty much Smalling plus one. It's very debatable who will start alongside any new central defender. Ole will have his own ideas on the subject and we shall have to wait and see.

Hawks2008

Earned his place ahead of Smalling when? Aside from when Ole first took over it's been pretty much Smalling plus one. It's very debatable who will start alongside any new central defender. Ole will have his own ideas on the subject and we shall have to wait and see.
Smalling is good to keep in the squad for sure, but he simply isn't good enough on the ball or composed enough to be starting consistently. We will see the same issues at CB if it's Smalling +1.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I don't like the idea of spending so much money on him. I can't see anything special about him and I say this regardless of his nationality.
When was the last time we had a defender with his ball playing?
Ferdinand?

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
Example. If Maguire was so good. Why didnt Juventus go for Maguire instead of De Ligt?So peoples who like Maguire, will say Maguire is better than De Ligt. Opposite. So players who are close to each others level. Its just a taste. A cup of tea like i said. I know ans accept peoples have different taste than mine. So no to endless discussion.
You replied once and said you don't want to have a discussion on it because it will go on forever and then proceed to have a discussion on it and tell me not to respond to you? Then you post again and change it from zouma to de ligt and again ask for no reply. If zouma was that good then why aren't City and United and Chelsea willing to buy him or start him as first choice? Even Everton should be in for him if he's that good. De ligt is available for a very low price for what he brings to a club, marketing and he's also a brilliant defender. I agree with what your saying that everyone has their own preferences and I would say most on here would have de ligt over maguire, it just boils down to who would be the best fit for the club and improve the team.

Dahnsouff

Supports
Leicester City
From a Leicester perspective, so far we have in terms of incomings; James Justin (6m), Ayoze Perez (30ish m), Tielemans looks aboutt 99% done (40m), and apparently we have bid for Mbwana Samatta from Gent (That would be about 12m) and a bid has gone in for a big name striker (Belotti rumoured).

Hard to see someone big value wise not leaving...but God knows with Top (at the wheel)

Tarkowski from Burnley is also rumoured if Harry goes

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Lindelof played more games than Smalling since Ole took over. He was injured for few games and then he was on bench or didn't make the squad in few games.

Lindelof played almost all games except 1 or 2. If we sign Maguire I think he will be paired with Smalling anyways.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Sweden is hardly spoiled with pacey CBs so they have to make due with what they have. United have Smalling who will compliment maguire and who fits nicely in the Brexit FC philosophy

BlueHaze

BBC now reporting that city aren’t prepared to pay the asking price.
Guess £80m should do it then!
Think I just sicked in my mouth a little.....
We shouldn't be either. £70m is already a crazy enough bid. They can take it or leave it.

Status
Not open for further replies.