Harry Maguire | Signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johan07

£30 million in 2002 is about £51m today. That's just pound's value accounting for inflation. Football market rates are a bit different of course.
Yeah, I should not have used the word inflation. The relevant number is the turnover that we had in 2002 (175m something) and the one we have today (closing on 600m). I am not going to do the numbers exactly, but 30m in 2002 is not 51m today in terms of turnover. Which is what kind of matters.

LuckyScout78

Kurt Zouma did very well for Everton on loan from Chelsea. France golden generation with Pogba. They won everything in the youth. Premier league proven and is using to the pace and toughness of premier league. Faster and better on the ball than Maguire. I only buy Maguire for his head ability. Im sure as a cb and football player as full packet. Zouma is better than Maguire.

I rate Zouma and Stones above Maguire. I have seen Zouma since he was 17. And i rate him really high. Mourinho bought him to Chelsea. But with Terry and Cahill and Mourinho trust more on the old players. Bad timing and the bench most of the time.

The question is how much Lampard rate Zouma. He definitive has decent pace and good acceleration.
Beside West Ham Diop has been mention on sky. And if Pep buy Maguire to partner Laporte. Then i would consider Stones and Zouma as others options. Zouma will cost lesser than Maguire. And Stones didnt play much last season, so he should be under 50£ mill. And Zouma is not so worst in the air too. Like i said, as fullpacket. A better cb option than Maguire. And two years younger.

Rumor is saying Everton is consider to buy Kurt Zouma. And im sure its buy a Everton will not regret. A really good ball playing CB and good in the air. Explsoive, aggresive and with a winning mentality. 190 is not a small boy.
Zouma and Keane did really well together last season. A really solid cb partnerships.

Last edited:

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
1) Mainly because many of these clubs tend to sell players for less. Also £89m, Dias and Eder have release clauses of £89m, £53m and £45m respectfully so all those are achievable for similar or lesser fees.

2) It's a guess based on the fact that many of these players play for smaller clubs and more importantly are on very small contracts. We don't need to offer these players £300k/w to sign them. I'd imagine anything between £80-150k/w depending on the player would be enough to get most of them.

3) You're opinion, I disagree having seen plenty of all the players mentioned (especially the 4 I specifically mentioned).

4) I don't care if a player is PL proven. I just gave you an example of City signing a non-PL-proven cb last season who turned out to be an excellent signing. There are plenty of examples of players performing for one PL club where they looked great and completely flopping at the other PL club (Sanchez, Schneiderlin, Zaha all examples). Frankly I don't know why you restated this point since you added nothing to what you posted originally and just ignored my counter-argument.

5) Both of those players have proven to be among the best defenders in the Serie A and have been a part of teams that conceded very few goals for a number of seasons despite being in a league where Juve and Napoli dominate. They are always praised as being some of the best defenders in the league. As for Upamecano and Konaté, they formed a cb pairing that conceded fewer goals than Bayern Munich or any other team in the Bundesliga and Konaté particularly received major praise. Just because you don't think they're world class doesn't mean others don't.

I've responded to all your concerns but in truth I don't think you care. I believe you've already made your mind up that there are no alternatives to Maguire and that he will be some amazing signing. If he does sign I hope you're right but I'd personally be much happier if we signed any of the above and I think it's a bit ridiculous to suggest none of those I've mentioned would join. Considering we're naturally linked with everyone I think we would have heard something if we had genuinely enquired about any of these players the same way we were clearly chasing de Ligt. I responded to someone claiming nobody mentioned alternatives to Maguire so I listed some. Now it seems people aren't happy with these alternatives being listed.
1) Nobody is paying £89m for £89m (that's a not similar to £70) and Militão is a Real Madrid
2) You are still just guessing that they would want to come to United and you are underestimating what it would take to get those players in (ie. offering them more money). This is isn't football manager where transfers are formulaic. The player has to have a good reason to want to move.
3) This isn't about your personal scouting skills. It's about whether or not those players are considered clearly better than Maguire. They aren't by anyone credible.
4) The point is there is always a risk. Maguire doesn't carry that risk, so bringing up transfers that worked is a moot point. Of course some have worked, but some haven't. Again it's about the risk
5) In the wider footballing world, those players are not considered world class. They haven't proven anything. Maguire has received a lot of praise as well and he's on City's radar. Even still, I would not consider him world class b/c he hasn't proved anything.

You responded but you are completely missing the point. Maguire is PL proven CB that fits the needs of OGS. Claiming he's overpriced while using example of players who a) may not be for sale or b) may not want to even come (like Militão) isn't a valid argument.

George The Best

Kurt Zouma did very well for Everton on loan from Chelsea. France golden generation with Pogba. They won everything in the youth. Premier league proven and is using to the pace and toughness of premier league. Faster and better on the ball than Maguire. I only buy Maguire for his head ability. Im sure as a cb and football player as full packet. Zouma is better than Maguire.

I rate Zouma and Stones above Maguire. I have seen Zouma since he was 17. And i rate him really high. Mourinho bought him to Chelsea. But with Terry and Cahill and Mourinho trust more on the old players. Bad timing and the bench most of the time.

The question is how much Lampard rate Zouma. He definitive has decent pace and good acceleration.
Beside West Ham Diop has been mention on sky. And if Pep buy Maguire to partner Laporte. Then i would consider Stones and Zouma as others options. Zouma will cost lesser than Maguire. And Stones didnt play much last season, so he should be under 50£ mill. And Zouma is not so worst in the air too. Like i said, as fullpacket. A better cb option than Maguire. And two years younger.
Doubt Lampard will be letting anybody go with the transfer ban in place.

LJJT

I remember when Chelsea’s mourinho got zouma and we where linked a lot with him, I thought they got the CB position sorted for 10 years for minimal cost. His injuries have ruined him at the highest level in my opinion and he wasn’t all that prior to them

LuckyScout78

Yeah i know. But i think Chelsea have Rudiger, Christensen and Luiz and Zouma is not even on Chelsea fantasy squad. Fantasy guys are waiting for what will happen with Zouma. Funny

Im not sure if Everton had option to buy him. But i have read that they are consider to buy him.

LJJT

Yeah i know. But i think Chelsea have Rudiger, Christensen and Luiz and Zouma is not even on Chelsea fantasy squad. Fantasy guys are waiting for what will happen with Zouma. Funny

Im not sure if Everton had option to buy him. But i have read that they are consider to buy him.
Let’s buy harry Maguire he’d be our best CB he wants to join, £80m who cares let’s go!

George The Best

Lampard has got the EPL, CL and the cups to contend with. He’s already lost Hazard. He would be foolish to let more players go imo. Might use Zouma for the cups to rest players.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

Rumor is saying Everton is consider to buy Kurt Zouma. And im sure its buy a Everton will not regret. A really good ball playing CB and good in the air. Explsoive, aggresive and with a winning mentality. 190 is not a small boy.
Zouma and Keane did really well together last season. A really solid cb partnerships.

For a moment there, I thought you said Zouma is both a better passer, and actually overall better than Maguire.

LuckyScout78

He did very well for Everton with Keane last season. So i think he is not far from that level before his injuries.

Maguire is the best cb header in premier league. But his fullpacket makes me choose Stones and Zouma above him. Southgate and many will disagree with me. But i prefer CB who has really good ball control on the ground and really good pace and acceleration first. My cup of tea.

Jake

Mine's too big and gay.
He did very well for Everton with Keane last season. So i think he is not far from that level before his injuries.

Maguire is the best cb header in premier league. But his fullpacket makes me choose Stones and Zouma above him. Southgate and many will disagree with me. But i prefer CB who has really good ball control on the ground and really good pace and acceleration first. My cup of tea.
You’re saying you would rather have Zouma than Maguire?

fps

For a moment there, I thought you said Zouma is both a better passer, and actually overall better than Maguire.
I thought so too, but then I thought I must be having some kind of seizure.

LuckyScout78

You’re saying you would rather have Zouma than Maguire?
Yeah. I will only Maguire for his air abilities. He might score 5 goals by the header each season. But if he is the cb that will be a winning premier league side, is another question. Im trying to compare Zouma air ability against Maguire. An area Zouma is not good as Maguire. But as a football player and CB. I rate Zouma above an better. The fullpacket.

But again like before. United defensive problem is the central midfield. Not CB. If United dont get a top dcm hard working with legs. Even Van Dijk will not help.

And 70-80 for a CB, only for 3-6 on the table?its worth?United can get into top 4 with a 50 £ mill CB too. That is my point and why I argue this. Only if Liverpool and City got unlucky with injuries, United will get above them. In the next 2-3 years from now.

Buy a top dcm before you go big on a new CB. 70 -80 is alot for a Maguire level CB. Sort the central midfield out. A lot to strength there.

Last edited:

LJJT

I’m with you mate. £77.5m - £80m should seal the deal - if he really wants to be here, but i’m not sure he really does.
Glad to see some positivity! I think he does I think our tactics all along with all transfers are push the players in to pushing for a move and we bid late on. I think we will get him, over priced yes but who cares really he will make us better and he’s up there with the better options

Reactions: Sultan

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel

Maguire is pretty good on the ball and
Yeah. I will only Maguire for his air abilities. He might score 5 goals by the header each season. But if he is the cb that will be a winning premier league side, is another question. Im trying to compare Zouma air ability against Maguire. An area Zouma is not good as Maguire. But as a football player and CB. I rate Zouma above an better. The fullpacket.
If zouma was as good as you say then he would be Chelseas first choice centre back. He was a promising player a few seasons back but injuries have taken something away from him. Maguire is very good on the ball and is confident in trying to find a pass, his pace isn't lightning quick but he's no slouch either. Zouma looked good because he played for Everton on loan and he stood out a lot more. I remember watching a few games last season and Keane had shockers in a few of them, thus making zouma a lot better. I just don't see zouma being a better player than Maguire.

Rocknrolla69er

One of our biggest defensive problems last season was set pieces and defending crosses. We had DDG who’s hesitant to leave the goal line, then it was Young and Mata/Lingard who didn’t defend their flank properly. On top of that we had Matic who was pedestrian.

IMO our biggest offensive problem was the build up from our defensive players. Our only CB who where comfortable with the ball to his feet and who could find players between the lines was Lindelöf. The rest was shit to put it mildly.

Another thing that’s going unnoticed is our lack of leadership. Viggo had his moments but overall he wasn’t vocal enough and he needs to work on his authority. When things went south we had almost eleven Boy Scouts out there trying to escape blame and nobody took responsibility. It was, once again to put it mildly, so bad that it was embarrassing to watch.

Harry Maguire is criminally underrated on this forum. I don’t understand why.

IMO he’s a great player who will immediately strengthen our defensive and make us so much better. A beast in the air. Strong and physical. Great feet’s and a good passer from the back. And from what I can see he seems to have leadership ability inside him and is not afraid to be vocal.

Last thing to remember. He’s British and from what I know he’s from the north west area. He’s part of the NT and familiar with many of our players. He will probably immediately fit in and become a valuable member of our first team. That is worth a lot.

Those of you who want to buy non British players need to remember that it take time to adapt to the PL. Remember Vidic.

Umtiti, Upamecano, Anderson. KK and so on are all great players but they will all need time to adapt the culture, the climate and the PL. United don’t have that luxury this season. We need instant results to feel comfortable with OGS and his new squad.

As mention I think 75+5 (or 10) will do it. Ole needs stability from the go so let’s keep our fingers crossed.
Great post

Have people not seen Maguire bring the ball out of defence, hes quality at it

LuckyScout78

If zouma was as good as you say then he would be Chelseas first choice centre back. He was a promising player a few seasons back but injuries have taken something away from him. Maguire is very good on the ball and is confident in trying to find a pass, his pace isn't lightning quick but he's no slouch either. Zouma looked good because he played for Everton on loan and he stood out a lot more. I remember watching a few games last season and Keane had shockers in a few of them, thus making zouma a lot better. I just don't see zouma being a better player than Maguire.
Yeah its view and opinions. I dont like to argue with you. It will be endless discussion. I said its my cup of tea. What i like i prefer, is personally. A subjective opinion. So again i have to write.

Dont answe or reply to my comment. Im not into discussion. Just waste of time. Someone like Coke, someone like Pepsi. And someone choose Burger King over Mac and vice versa. Different taste and cup. So reasons no discussion thank. I will stand with my statement until i edit it later. If i find better or equal options.

Dante

Average bang
Agreed.

It'd be nice to get two, but 1 as good as Maguire and AWB is a good start to rebuilding our weak backline.
Yep.
I posted these two screenshots in the Football Forum, but I think they deserve to be re-posted here:

Maguire is right up there with the best distributers in the whole of Europe. His ratio of accurate:inaccurate long balls is ridiculously good.

He's also got the best ratio of successful:unsuccessful aerial battles amongst the top 10 headers in the Premier League.

Basically, if somebody asked you to find a CB who excelled at passing out of the back and dominating aerial balls, Maguire is pretty much the best around. The reason he's going for £70m is because nobody else in Europe is as good as him at the things United require.

Last edited:

LuckyScout78

Example. If Maguire was so good. Why didnt Juventus go for Maguire instead of De Ligt?So peoples who like Maguire, will say Maguire is better than De Ligt. Opposite. So players who are close to each others level. Its just a taste. A cup of tea like i said. I know ans accept peoples have different taste than mine. So no to endless discussion.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Example. If Maguire was so good. Why didnt Juventus go for Maguire instead of De Ligt?So peoples who like Maguire, will say Maguire is better than De Ligt. Opposite. So players who are close to each others level. Its just a taste. A cup of tea like i said. I know ans accept peoples have different taste than mine. So no to endless discussion.
What do you think a forum is for pal?
People posting opinions and noone reacting to it?

If you're going to post whacko views like zouma is better than a guy shortly going for a world record centre back fee, chances are quite a few will pick you up on it.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"

Beside West Ham Diop has been mention on sky. And if Pep buy Maguire to partner Laporte. Then i would consider Stones and Zouma as others options. Zouma will cost lesser than Maguire. And Stones didnt play much last season so he should be under 50£ mill. And Zouma is not so worst in the air too. Like i said, as fullpacket. A better cb option than Maguire. And two years younger.

No way are City selling Stones, no way to us and no way for less than £50m.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Maybe Maguire also isn't suggested by our scouts then? You can't claim our interest in a player means he's great when our transfer business has been so terrible recently. You give the scouts credit for Maguire but then apparently they have no influence in any of our other signings.
Maguire is a very good CB and most people with a footballing back ground would attest to that. He's very good on the ball and is aerially very strong. The only thing he lacks is pace, but that shouldn't be a issue if he's paired with the correct CB.

Our issue hasn't been our scouting but rather our approach in the transfer market. I've already mentioned Moyes and how he vetoed the likes of Herrera, Thiago and Strootman to chase Fabregas and then Fellaini/Baines according to reports.

Van Gaal signed Blind and Rojo without the input of the club scouts. Rojo was signed after LVG analysed the Dutch defeat to Argentina in the world cup semi-final according to the man himself. Di Maria he name dropped afew times before we broke our transfer record to sign the Argentine who was coming off a great season at Madrid after starring in the Champions League final.
Falcao was another player Van Gaal wanted if you remember his press conferences where he mentioned the finishing capabilities of the Colombian were top class and he even let go of Welbeck to accommodate him. Schweinsteiger was another player that he signed on his own whim. Depay was another he knew well from the Dutch set up and didn't require a scout report.

Mourinho used his own independent scouts if you believe what Jason Burt of the Daily Telegraph reported.

We have the best scouts in the business. Our issue has been giving too much control to managers post Fergie which has cost us. A technical director/DoF would be the way forward and would provide much needed stability.

mu4c_20le

Zouma is really good, his development got sidetracked by a nasty injury, but Mourinho really rated him. Technically his price should be half of Maguire's, but don't think Chelsea will sell to us.

Jig1234

This would be worth the 70M if we were in LFC's position when they signed Van Dijk. They needed a CB and GK the rest of the first XI was solid. Utd have a hopeless midfield, a ST that can't control a ball and wants to leave. No Right Winger. Main issue is the midfield. That is where the majority of the money should be going. We need two top midfielders. Yes we need a CB, but I think cheaper options are out there.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
This would be worth the 70M if we were in LFC's position when they signed Van Dijk. They needed a CB and GK the rest of the first XI was solid. Utd have a hopeless midfield, a ST that can't control a ball and wants to leave. No Right Winger. Main issue is the midfield. That is where the majority of the money should be going. We need two top midfielders. Yes we need a CB, but I think cheaper options are out there.
Can you name them? And I mean ones who are obviously better from what we have and not another Bailly/Jones/Smalling level of 30m plus.

Hammondo

I agree.

Walters_19_MuFc

Yep.
I posted these two screenshots in the Football Forum, but I think they deserve to be re-posted here:

Maguire is right up there with the best distributers in the whole of Europe. His ratio of accurate:inaccurate long balls is ridiculously good.

He's also got the best ratio of successful:unsuccessful aerial battles amongst the top 10 headers in the Premier League.

Basically, if somebody asked you to find a CB who excelled at passing out of the back and dominating aerial balls, Maguire is pretty much the best around. The reason he's going for £70m is because nobody else in Europe is as good as him at the things United require.
Good post. Interesting stats. Hope we get him!

Dante

Average bang
I'd say he's better than solid. Check the stats I posted.

There's literally nobody else in Europe who can match his combination of passing and heading ability.

Those are the two things United are crying out for at centreback. And we're bidding big money for the one man who can solve both issues. It's two birds with one stone.

Saf94

This reminds me of the Matic transfer. The guy is clearly not mobile or athletic enough to play the aggresive and dynamic football we surely aspire to, why do we ignore that issue? We ignored that with Matic and look where that got us, why do we continue to sign these square pegs for round holes?

It’s very simple, we want to play attacking football. To play attacking football you need to play a high line, how is this guy going to play in a high line when he’s so slow and immobile, can someone explain that?

Nick7

This reminds me of the Matic transfer. The guy is clearly not mobile or athletic enough to play the aggresive and dynamic football we surely aspire to, why do we ignore that issue? We ignored that with Matic and look where that got us, why do we continue to sign these square pegs for round holes?

It’s very simple, we want to play attacking football. To play attacking football you need to play a high line, how is this guy going to play in a high line when he’s so slow and immobile, can someone explain that?
Weird first paragraph. Mourinho definitely did not want to play aggressive and dynamic football

Status
Not open for further replies.