Harry Maguire | Signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
If De Ligt goes for less than Maguire we are absolute mugs.

Maguire is undoubtably one of the best PL CBs but how much more of his game can he develop? I really think we’re buying a leader who has experience and everything we need so I’d be happy to sign him but at the same time I wouldn’t like to be reminded that a younger player already showing top quality is going for less.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
After a while, now I'm warm up to this signing. Just like I was warm up to Lukaku's after the initial disbelief and resistance.

Hopefully they won't end up the same. They both better than what we have/had, but their limitation may become a hindrance to take us to another level.

Last edited:

GJNJ

Maguire is undoubtably one of the best PL CBs but how much more of his game can he develop? I really think we’re buying a leader who has experience and everything we need so I’d be happy to sign him but at the same time I wouldn’t like to be reminded that a younger player already showing top quality is going for less.
I'm sure if De Ligt wanted to come here then we would be happy to pay whatever Ajax want for him.

Johan07

We would easily pay 100m for De Ligt if he wanted to come here. He does not.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Maguire wouldn't get into City, Liverpool, Spurs (unless playing a back 3) or Chelsea's backlines (when Rudiger is fit). Sorry but that's nonsense
He would instantly be VVD's partner at Liverpool and Laporte's at City (are you really saying Matip, Lovren and Gomez would be ahead of him at Liverpool and that Stones and Otamendi would be in front of him at City?). Tottenham has depth at that position (for now) so he would rotate in with the rest of them. As for Chelsea, he would instantly be their #1 guy with the others taking turns to partner him. Like I said, you are massively underrating him...

Dazzmondo

He would instantly be VVD's partner at Liverpool and Laporte's at City (are you really saying Matip, Lovren and Gomez would be ahead of him at Liverpool and that Stones and Otamendi would be in front of him at City?). Tottenham has depth at that position (for now) so he would rotate in with the rest of them. As for Chelsea, he would instantly be their #1 guy with the others taking turns to partner him. Like I said, you are massively underrating him...
Matip had a great 2nd half of the season for Liverpool and Gomez played brilliantly when he was fit last season. Go and ask some Liverpool fans if they'd want Maguire over either of them. At City I expect he would be rotated as City's other 2 cbs are so calling any of them 1st choice (other than Laporte) isn't really the same. If you're asking whether he and Laporte would play every game together, no I don't believe they would. Maguire wouldn't get into Chelsea's defence. Luiz and Rudiger formed a very solid defence last season and they even have Christensen as a potentially good backup coming through (Azpilicueta can also play cb if necessary)

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
devilish said:
to be fair, Sir Alex himself refused to sign him when he was at Leeds, stating that if Rio is worth 18m then Wes is worth 30m.
It was actually George Best that said this in his column in the united magazine.... I have no idea why i remember this! but i remember reading the magazine on the bog on a scorching hot day.
I cannot find a quote about SAF saying Wes is worth 30M if Rio is worth so-so.

I did find this quote. http://therepublikofmancunia.com/flashback-he-said-what-wesley-brown/
September 8th 2001
: “I think Wes Brown is the best in England,” said Ferguson. “He’s better than Sol Campbell, he’s better than Rio Ferdinand, he will be a fantastic player.”

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Matip had a great 2nd half of the season for Liverpool and Gomez played brilliantly when he was fit last season. Go and ask some Liverpool fans if they'd want Maguire over either of them. At City I expect he would be rotated as City's other 2 cbs are so calling any of them 1st choice (other than Laporte) isn't really the same. If you're asking whether he and Laporte would play every game together, no I don't believe they would. Maguire wouldn't get into Chelsea's defence. Luiz and Rudiger formed a very solid defence last season and they even have Christensen as a potentially good backup coming through (Azpilicueta can also play cb if necessary)
Liverpool were happy with Matip, but that was because of VVD. He made him better. Maguire is head and shoulders better. Gomez doesn't even come close (he will get better though). At City, yes they would rotate, as Pep does, but the #1 pairing would definitely be Laporte and Maguire. And don't get me started on Luiz. Absolute rubish defender. Reminds me a lot of Ramos in that he's a very good footballer, but gets caught out of position way too much as a central defender. Again, Maguire would walk right in. I actually think Luiz would make a top class DM. A position that he's played in before...

UnitedObsession99

Mark Goldbridge reporting a contact from Leicester side who says £75m agreed. Could be nonsense, but interesting if does turn out to be true.

Realistically that has to be the absolute maximum before we look 100% mugged. For a team not wanting or needing to sell that sounds a compromise that should work.

Sp00ks11

So boring! De Ligt doesn't want to come here or we would pay the required transfer fee, once again a member of this forum getting the real world confused with FIFA/Football Manager. :houllier:

Chairman Steve

£75m overall (meaning performance bonuses etc) seems like a very fair price for Maguire personally. I’d walk if they want to go above that overall figure. £70m+£5m performances seems about right.

Dazzmondo

Liverpool were happy with Matip, but that was because of VVD. He made him better. Maguire is head and shoulders better. Gomez doesn't even come close (he will get better though). At City, yes they would rotate, as Pep does, but the #1 pairing would definitely be Laporte and Maguire. And don't get me started on Luiz. Absolute rubish defender. Reminds me a lot of Ramos in that he's a very good footballer, but gets caught out of position way too much as a central defender. Again, Maguire would walk right in. I actually think Luiz would make a top class DM. A position that he's played in before...
Fine on Laporte-Maguire, I don't think establishing a first choice cb duo really works in that case since with or without Maguire it would essentially be Laporte and someone else but he would start a good number of games there. I disagree on everything else. Luiz has had his bad moments but thought he and Rudiger were great last season. Other than Hazard the only good thing about Chelsea last season was their defence. VVD makes everyone better but Matip was highly regarded when Liverpool signed him anyway so he just started to deliver what they hoped he would. I expect Gomez to be one of the breakout stars this season (he was already well on his way to doing this last season until he got injured). I would be genuinely interested if you could find any Liverpool fan who would say they'd rather have Maguire next to VVD instead of Matip/Gomez or both.

El-Manos

Mark Goldbridge reporting a contact from Leicester side who says £75m agreed. Could be nonsense, but interesting if does turn out to be true.

Realistically that has to be the absolute maximum before we look 100% mugged. For a team not wanting or needing to sell that sounds a compromise that should work.
Mark reliable?

RollieOle

Didnt he get caught out a while ago for posting fake transfer news on twitter?

Wheato

70 million is an acceptable offer, if 75 million was what it took to sign VVD who is a much better player. Although, I can't believe that we have narrowed our options down to 1 central defender. It bemuses me the lack of scouting within our club, when Leicester, Wolves and Everton are signing better players than us. There really is a huge problem at our club. There are great central defenders in Portugal, Italy, France and Germany. Better ones than Maguire. We just don't know about them because we have nobody scouting them. So we are like teenagers playing football manager and looking a youtube highlights at a shortlist of 2/3 players. Please stop with this feckwittery, and scout someone properly. Sign Alderweireld and let him be the stop gap while we sort ourselves out, but anything over 70 million for this tree trunk slab head is a travesty.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Fine on Laporte-Maguire, I don't think establishing a first choice cb duo really works in that case since with or without Maguire it would essentially be Laporte and someone else but he would start a good number of games there. I disagree on everything else. Luiz has had his bad moments but thought he and Rudiger were great last season. Other than Hazard the only good thing about Chelsea last season was their defence. VVD makes everyone better but Matip was highly regarded when Liverpool signed him anyway so he just started to deliver what they hoped he would. I expect Gomez to be one of the breakout stars this season (he was already well on his way to doing this last season until he got injured). I would be genuinely interested if you could find any Liverpool fan who would say they'd rather have Maguire next to VVD instead of Matip/Gomez or both.
Unfortunately (or fortunately) I talk to Liverpool fans as least as possible :lol:. With that being said, I do have one buddy who is a Liverpool fan, and considering he wouldn't even admit that they needed a new keeper after Karius cost them the Champions League, I highly doubt he would admit that Maguire is a better defender than Matip...:lol:

Johan07

70 million is an acceptable offer, if 75 million was what it took to sign VVD who is a much better player. Although, I can't believe that we have narrowed our options down to 1 central defender. It bemuses me the lack of scouting within our club, when Leicester, Wolves and Everton are signing better players than us. There really is a huge problem at our club. There are great central defenders in Portugal, Italy, France and Germany. Better ones than Maguire. We just don't know about them because we have nobody scouting them. So we are like teenagers playing football manager and looking a youtube highlights at a shortlist of 2/3 players. Please stop with this feckwittery, and scout someone properly. Sign Alderweireld and let him be the stop gap while we sort ourselves out, but anything over 70 million for this tree trunk slab head is a travesty.
Think this has been touched upon before in this thread but what VVD went for is irrelevant now. What is relevant is what he would cost if he was transferred today. And thats double 75m or something. So Maguire would be a half VVD as of "today".

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
fecking hell. You’d think that this guy was fat Tony from down the pub, who occasionally plays for a Sunday side.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United

We will cross that gold bridge when we get there.

Chairman Steve

Completely forgot that Mickey Short Shorts was at Hull and didn’t know Maguire was there when he was there, and very curious to learn from Mittens article that Maguire was made a first team regular under him.

Both Jose and OGS seem to rate him. Not sure why there’s a notably big fan contingent that think otherwise...Maybe it’s because he’s not called Helmut Magasch from Johnny Foreigner land?

mu4c_20le

Think this has been touched upon before in this thread but what VVD went for is irrelevant now. What is relevant is what he would cost if he was transferred today. And thats double 75m or something. So Maguire would be a half VVD as of "today".
But the VVD of today is not only moving from a big club in liverpool, he is also a CL winner and ballon d'or nominee. If he were moving from Southampton today i doubt he'd break 90m

fps

fecking hell. You’d think that this guy was fat Tony from down the pub, who occasionally plays for a Sunday side.
At £30m, he may be a better option because apparently how much we spend on the player is more important than getting the right player for half the posters here.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I could've sworn VVD was still the most expensive CB in history.

Johan07

But the VVD of today is not only moving from a big club in liverpool, he is also a CL winner and ballon d'or nominee. If he were moving from Southampton today i doubt he'd break 90m
Well, yes.
But he is not, so the comparison is not valid anymore.
We could have got Maguire from Sheffield United and he would have been dirt cheap.
What sets Maguires value is todays market and not what was once upon a time or what could be.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Some of the comments are quite simply laughable in this thread. You'd think our scouts and City scouts are morons after reading the comments in here..

Johan07

I could've sworn VVD was still the most expensive CB in history.
Yeah, he is on 75m.
If you take into account inflation, etc, its going to take much to beat what we paid for Rio once upon a time though.

red thru&thru

So boring! De Ligt doesn't want to come here or we would pay the required transfer fee, once again a member of this forum getting the real world confused with FIFA/Football Manager. :houllier:
Hahaha, exactly. I really wished in a fantasy world that some of these guys live in. Would be interesting to see what goes on and how they view life?!

Rocknrolla69er

hope its done at £75m

Never known a forum be so whiny about fees. Its like a turkish bazaar on here

UnitedObsession99

Mark reliable?
He isn't an ITK and says it himself, but he has clearly developed some strong contacts so he shares what he has been told.

You have to believe one of the biggest United fan channels is as reliable as anyone else! I.e. take everything with a pinch of salt.

In May he said he was told we'd be getting Sancho (if made Champions League), Fernandes and Meunier.

At the time Wan Bissaka said he was happy to stay, so it sounded credible. I think United could have heard Palace were open to selling and this might have changed the target. Its feasible.

Sancho was heavily linked so sounds like something in that, but maybe next year.

Fernandes has to happen! If it doesn't that particular contact of Mark's sounds less reliable.

red thru&thru

Totally forgot about Phelan having him at Hull. He must know enough about him. Phelan had some great CB's at United, so would be judge of a good CB and even more importantly, the lads attitude.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Yeah, he is on 75m.
If you take into account inflation, etc, its going to take much to beat what we paid for Rio once upon a time though.
Ferdinand was a world class CB for like a decade. Do you expect the same of Maguire?

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I have no idea. Whats your point?
My point is I don't expect Maguire to be as good as Ferdinand or VVD so I find it ambitious to compare him to players like them to justify the fee.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
My point is I don't expect Maguire to be as good as Ferdinand or VVD so I find it ambitious to compare him to players like them to justify the fee.
The fee is too high for sure, but our position is such that we might need to just suck it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.