Harry Maguire | Signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Just pay it and get it done. I don't think we have any better options.

john moran

I get that thinking hurt us last year but fixing the right back position will help out at the back and maybe improving the midfield and our possession will alleviate the stress on the back line too. I think the principle is that we have a bunch of guys who are all at the same level so why buy someone who is the same. I personally think there are cheaper options who would still improve us and Others on here feel the same way, I am a big advocate for Ake for example but I am not sure Ed sees things the same way.

I hope we sign someone but if we don't then I want Ole to have a plan for how to get the best out of what he has and to know his best team. It just seemed like Jose was so mad about not getting anyone that he effectively gave up on the guys he did have to prove his point and we ended up looking completely lost at the back.
You can only successfully plan with what you have if what you have is good enough . What we have is capable of 6th or 8th place depending on luck .

lsd

The Oracle
Just pay it and get it done. I don't think we have any better options.

Awful view up there with he improves us so worth the money .

We don't need players that are a little better than what we have .

We need players that will take us to another level and allow us to challenge again .

Maguire while a small improvement on Smalling and Jones doesn't come close to taking us to another level .

Would be a massive waste of money

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Logic says too much money, but logic also says stop the Smalling-Jones paradigm at all cost. Bailly and Rojo can get injured real fast so I don't think there's much room for moaning in current situation.

Then again, if we could only get Mathijs de Ligt, this window could turn sucessful in matter of seconds. If we can splash so much on Maguire then surely we can offer De Ligt and Ajax so much more than Barca & PSG.

poleglass red

Logic says too much money, but logic also says stop the Smalling-Jones paradigm at all cost. Bailly and Rojo can get injured real fast so I don't think there's much room for moaning in current situation.

Then again, if we could only get Mathijs de Ligt, this window could turn sucessful in matter of seconds. If we can splash so much on Maguire then surely we can offer De Ligt and Ajax so much more than Barca & PSG.
Might be De Ligt's wages. I'd assume he would want a lot more in wages than Maguire

Pierluigi Casiraghi

There simply have to be better options available on the continent for that kind of money. Being better than Chris Smalling does not make you worth £70m.

Infestissumam

not finishing top 4 really cost us. I feel we'd have a good chance at getting De Ligt if we could offer CL football ... too bad the players crapped the bed late in the season.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
not finishing top 4 really cost us. I feel we'd have a good chance at getting De Ligt if we could offer CL football ... too bad the players crapped the bed late in the season.
This is exactly why the club should do absolutely everything in getting players that will not crap the bed.

That being said, I'll be bit calmer with having Maguire, I think there could be chance that one of our failed defenders could leave if someone new arrive here, also with Axel doing his steady progress thing.

Johan07

Maguire would enable us to let Lindelof play RCB, where he is so much better on the ball than at LCB where he is just decent. We would then have two excellent ballplayers at CB.
He would also add a real threat from set pieces which disappeared with Fellaini. He is a really good header of the ball offensively.
Would take De Ligt or Koulibaly before him but if that is not possible its an upgrade on what we already have. I rather have him before Aldeweireld.
I also think that United dont care that much about the size of the transfer fee. 70m for a young English international defender is not much in todays market. We will recoup most of the money if he does not make it here. I think its more that the club wants has other preferred options and that they want to try to close those first.

acnumber9

Logic says too much money, but logic also says stop the Smalling-Jones paradigm at all cost.
They played a grand total of 9 games together at centre back last season. Lindelof was the mainstay in our defence and seemingly gets off with zero responsibility for our defending.

Andersons Dietician

Thinking about it I think I’d honestly rather plod forward with a 5 of Smalling, Lindelof, Jones, Bailly and Tuan for another year than spend 90 mil on Slabhead.

I mean he is maybe better than what we have but he isn’t miles better than what we have and I really don’t think he is a top level defender or will have the same effect as VVD did. Because really that is what everyone seems to expect and he is nowhere near as good as VVD was when he was at Southampton.

There was also something I read that said Mike Phelan wasn’t too keen and he’s worked with him. If that was true which I doubt a journo would have that info then that would be quite damming.

Who knows what is really going on but at the figures being spoken about you could probably get Tah and Alderweireld and have spare change left over. Heck you could have gotten Hernandez for 20mil less.

flappyjay

My opinion is that if we sign Maguire, Van Bissaka, a RW (Pepe) and Bruno, that would be a fairly good window no matter what the price for each of them is. If Maguire will be the solution to the problems in our defense, we shouldn't baulk at the price.
Add a defensive midfielder to that then we should comfortably finish in the top 4

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
They played a grand total of 9 games together at centre back last season. Lindelof was the mainstay in our defence and seemingly gets off with zero responsibility for our defending.
Lindelof have some capacity for improvement, Jones & Smalling not so much even at their peak age. It's a problem occuring for far more years and still to this day, it's not being addressed.

StrettyEnder07

Where's all the Nathan Ake stuff coming from, he was pretty shocking at Bournemouth last season, that would be going seriously backwards.

Pay the €53M buyout clause for Dias and be done with it, 90M for Maguire is mental money, Alderweireld looks like he is staying at Spurs, Koulibaly/De Ligt are pipe dreams.

Dias looks the real deal from what I have seen (which is probably the same amount as I have seen De Ligt/Koulibaly and anyone else that plays outside of the UK).

Lindelof/Dias/Bailly/Tuanzebe as our 4 going into the season, chuckle brothers we can use for Europa and Rojo hopefully given away.

Gandalf

Most of our Portugese posters seem to be of the opinion that Dias is pretty average and always has a mistake in him. I also have not seen much of him but I haven't heard anyone who has seen a lot of him suggest he is good enough for United.

Classical Mechanic

Most of our Portugese posters seem to be of the opinion that Dias is pretty average and always has a mistake in him. I also have not seen much of him but I haven't heard anyone who has seen a lot of him suggest he is good enough for United.
Its always the same. The CAF have decided that Cancelo is the worlds best right after watching a couple of times which the Portuguese posters were confused about given he's not even first choice for them.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
I havent seen any leadership qualities in him. How do you know what he's like in the dressing room? He's also slow. I believe Nathan Ake would be better value. He's also left footed and I think we need a left sided defender. We havent had one dice Daley left
If you think he is better then Maguire then God help you.

Rocknrolla69er

Maguires englands best centre back, better than Stones, people saying his slightly better than Smalling and Jones, can i have some of what youve been smoking?

He brings aerial dominance, how often do we look weak defending set pieces? Hes a huge threat at attacking set pieces as we see alot for England, as somebody said he’l bring more balance to the defence being left footed allowing Lindelof to move to the right, hes a brilliant passer of a ball and often creates attacks with his passing, and his ability to bring the ball out from the back is very underated, add in that he loves a tackle some he makes make you wince, then theres not alot not too like. Ive watched him tons from his time at Hull City and hes one of the most underated players in the league and definatley on this board.

The price seems steep, but is it? In this day and age this is what you pay, clubs dont need to sell so buyers need to make offers they cant refuse, the sooner fans shed the bargain hunt mentality the better. Plus feck it we barely spent last year so who cares if the Glazers have to dig deep, itl be worth it just to see the vast improvement to out defence with Maguire in it

Last edited:

StrettyEnder07

Do they? Ah right, not seen any as say just seen the few games he has played for Portugal in the Nations League.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Nothing to do with that IMO. He's fairly slow and makes a lot of risky passes - it's fair people are a bit cautious over a huge price tag.

If he was 40m people would rightly snatch your hand off. At that price, MORE than VVD, he's got to be faultless.
You don't need to be fast at CB if your positional game is good which it is.

In terms of money I think it's being overstated in the media and we won't pay that price anyway - but ultimately as a fan I don't care about the price.

ForestRGoinUp

Stone was spot on when he said that you could make the argument that McTominay and Young were the only ones in the Huddersfield game that really tried. Is that on the manager? Not for me.
Guess it is for me then. Seems like the ability to motivate and achieve at least a base level of effort is among the basic objectives of any manager at any level in any sport.

StrettyEnder07

Its always the same. The CAF have decided that Cancelo is the worlds best right after watching a couple of times which the Portuguese posters were confused about given he's not even first choice for them.
As I said in my original post, going off what I have seen which is a couple of games, he has been very good and looked quality, calm yourself down.

JustinC00

If we can splash so much on Maguire then surely we can offer De Ligt and Ajax so much more than Barca & PSG
Who says if we are/were in on De Ligt we didn't. We could offer Ajax the biggest fee and offer De Ligt more than either but ultimately it's his decision where he wants to go and if he doesn't want to come here than you have to look at it as if he was never an option. Which means you can't look at as if we passed on De Ligt for Maguire.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Who says if we are/were in on De Ligt we didn't. We could offer Ajax the biggest fee and offer De Ligt more than either but ultimately it's his decision where he wants to go and if he doesn't want to come here than you have to look at it as if he was never an option. Which means you can't look at as if we passed on De Ligt for Maguire.
De Ligt didn't decided yet, so by your logic we're not looking completely sure about Maguire either and we don't have to look at him as alternative just yet.

acnumber9

Lindelof have some capacity for improvement, Jones & Smalling not so much even at their peak age. It's a problem occuring for far more years and still to this day, it's not being addressed.
And yet our defence was much better the year before when Lindelof played less. Not that I’m saying Lindelof is a bad player because for a few months he played very well but he started most games. In fact in the 22 league games Jones started the season prior we kept 15 clean sheets.

dev1l

Smalling and Maguire would be a good combo...
Both can head
One can run but cannot pass
The other can pass but cannot run..

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
And yet our defence was much better the year before when Lindelof played less. Not that I’m saying Lindelof is a bad player because for a few months he played very well but he started most games. In fact in the 22 league games Jones started the season prior we kept 15 clean sheets.
I absolutely support you in critique against Lindelof, let's sell him but Jones and Smalling going with him. This is the only fair deal I can think of right now.

I'm delighted with Smalling in the past but right now he doesn't seem to understand how much improvement on his ball control skills and passing ability would help in becoming a cracking player for any team and when Southgate criticized him he was still in denial. That for me doesn't spark my confidence in him.

He's still better than most of our current defenders but what kind a compliment is that, seriously...

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Maguire is a decent defender, but £80m+ come on now, Gary Cahill was better than him.

He's slow and cumbersome, he is also prone to the English trait of giving the ball away under pressure.

I really hope we stay away.

Is he even a good partner for Lindelöf anyway?

I'd rather go into next season with Lindelöf + whoever, if it meant overpaying dramatically for him.

StrettyEnder07

True. He looked excellent in the final but he was discussed in the who do you want at CB thread and the consensus seemed to be pretty negative.
Oh really, ah fair enough then mate, yeah have seen him maybe 3 times for Portugal, can't say I watch to much of the Portuguese league so wouldn't know how consistent he is.

Same with Koulibaly, only going off what experts say as seen him a handful of times as well, similar to CBs linked with in Italy and Germany, you go by what the media say etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.