Harry Maguire | Signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Maguire is not world class but him & De Ligt are the only top CB available in the market.

I think we will pay, City won’t pay but if we decide not to pay that 80m then I can’t see a single club willing to pay the money, & I wish him good luck for the next 3 years of his career at Leicester.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Laporte isn't slow, and they have Fernandinho that plays like a man possessed. On top of that, they are king at making tactical fouls to make up for their high line. Furthermore, Ederson is brilliant at sweeping at the back - DDG, well it's probably his biggest flaw.

If, however, refs start to book them for making tactical fouls (like Solskjær talked about), then they will have problems to worry about!
Laporte is for sure not faster than Lindelof and barely faster than Maguire. He is sloooooooow! And I dont think Fernandinho at 33/34 is the reason either. As Johan says, if you dont give the ball away much you can get away with a high line. Barcelona have done it several seasons (Pique has never been fast and neither was Puyol/Mascherano at the later part).

ForestRGoinUp

Player prices have gone bloody stupid. A £50 million rated player last summer is going for £90 million this summer.
Can find much better deals if your scouts put in the work outside of England. The prices are going crazy within England because everyone is getting rich now.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Leicester have named their price for 2 summers.

Either put up or stop briefing the media. He's clearly a top choice now, despite a clear unwillingness to pay up.

Woodward is notorious for briefing the media, and its trademark stuff.

ForestRGoinUp

This is the same logic used to justify spending a bomb on Lukaku.

If we can’t get De Ligt, we should just pay the £25m for Alderweireld.
Exactly! No one likes not learning from transfer mistakes like United do.

Eddy_JukeZ

Rather spend the amount(and more if needed) and get Koulibaly.

90m is absurd for Maguire.

Complete lunacy.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
City & Liverpool both exposed Maguire last season. He's a slow CB who's susceptible to quick movements & pace. Cracks under opposition pressing.

We are planning to attack next season aren't we? Why do people think these weaknesses won't be amplified even further under a more attacking setup?

Look at some of the comments made on the Leicester City forum about him:

Maybe the dourness of last season has made me more critical of individuals at the club but I felt that Maguire seemed to be at the thick of a lot of the defensive mistakes we made last season. His positional awareness was at times laughable and he turns as if he's shifting a wardrobe. I wouldn't be against keeping him but for the sums being banded around we'd be getting much more than he's really worth
Their fans regard Evans as their best defender and the real brains at the back for them. That's what makes Maguire look good. In the similar way, Blind made Smalling look good under LVG:

Maguire is no better than the majority of the centre backs playing for any of those sides. What they lack is an organiser and leader. Maguire certainly isn't either of those things. He's an average PL centre back who is extremely good at bringing the ball out from the back. A secondary skill for a CB. He looks good next to Evans but then so does Morgan and without Evans we always look liable to concede. You stick Maguire next to Smalling or Koscielney and he'll look just as ropey as he does alongside Morgan for us.
No way Maguire would have anything close to the impact on Man Utds or Arsenal's defence that Van Dijk has had at Liverpool. Matip and Lovren are around the same quality as Kosceilny, Smalling, Lindelof etc but with Van Dijk next to them they look twice as good. Maguire has proven over the past two years that he's no leader or organiser and that's what these teams need. What they'd get is a similar player to what they already have but at a massively inflated price.
Doesn't this sound like more of the same that we already get from Jones/Smalling & co?

Maguire is not the answer people.

I really hope we stay away.

Last edited:

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag

No it’s not the same logic, it’s lazy statement to even call it the same. One is centre back who can play from the back while the other one is a striker who can’t even control the ball which is supposedly basic for footballer.

Aldeweireld is old and asking crazy amount of wages that no club is willing to even consider. Do you want another Sanchez’s case again?

Ekeke

No one in particular, I was just talking generally. The way things are going the likes of Maguire will be valued at £150 million next summer.
And if thats the case he'll still be at Leicester :D Like he stayed at Leicester when they asked for too much last summer

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
£90m for Maguire would be absolutely brain dead from us. Might as well get Koulibaly if we're spendinng that much on a CB.

settembrini

I would be happy to see either of Koulibaly or Maguire at United next season but the fees being talked about for both players are ridiculous.

It genuinely isn't hard to find left sided CBs who would improve us so we don't need to buy at the very top of the market. Neither of Ake or Romagnoli would cost a world record fee for a defender and both would walk into our team. I also like Diallo at Dortmund and if PSG manage to buy De Ligt then Kimpembe could become available.

Ekeke

Maguire is not world class but him & De Ligt are the only top CB available in the market.

I think we will pay, City won’t pay but if we decide not to pay that 80m then I can’t see a single club willing to pay the money, & I wish him good luck for the next 3 years of his career at Leicester.
What makes someone a top CB?

He has something going forward but he's not one of the best CBs defensively in the league.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
City & Liverpool both exposed Maguire last season. He's a slow CB who's susceptible to quick movements & pace. Cracks under opposition pressing.

We are planning to attack next season aren't we? Why do people think these weaknesses won't be amplified even further under a more attacking setup?

Look at some of the comments made on the Leicester City forum about him:

Their fans regard Evans as their best defender and the real brains at the back for them. That's what makes Maguire look good. In the similar way, Blind made Smalling look good under LVG.

Doesn't this sound like more of the same that we already get from Jones/Smalling & co?

Maguire is not the answer people.

I really hope we stay away.
I’m guessing those quotes are from FoxesTalk, I wouldn’t put too much weight on comments from there, some posters on there wanted Ben Chilwell dropped for Christian Fuchs as Chilwell was starring for England

devil in me

I cant believe we are still considering Harry bloody Maguire, especially at the fees talked about. May as well stick with what we already have. We need to move away from average, not add more.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
The market for a CB is absolutely shite. It's De Ligt and after that it's worryingly bad. Bet we'll spend 90M on Maguire then some new CB will come out as the next best thing next Summer.

The Nani

No it’s not the same logic, it’s lazy statement to even call it the same. One is centre back who can play from the back while the other one is a striker who can’t even control the ball which is supposedly basic for footballer.

Aldeweireld is old and asking crazy amount of wages that no club is willing to even consider. Do you want another Sanchez’s case again?
Maguire is not even remotely a top quality defender so yes it’s comparable.

And Alderweireld could be got for £175kish a week. He’s balked at Spurs offering him £100-125k per week and who can blame him. He would be a great stop-gap until better options present themselves and/or Tuanzebe is ready.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
I’m guessing those quotes are from FoxesTalk, I wouldn’t put too much weight on comments from there, some posters on there wanted Ben Chilwell dropped for Christian Fuchs as Chilwell was starring for England
I went on their forum to see the general opinion towards Maguire. After all they watch him every week.

It wasn't just one person. Their general opinion was they're not bothered as they regard Evans as their best defender, £50m+ is daylight robbery and they should cash in because they think he's not as good as the hype suggests.

Take of that what you will but they line up with my own opinion of casually watching Leicester over the last season and Maguire for England.

We need top defenders who can come in and galvanise our stale team. Not more of the same like what we have already.

Dont get me wrong he's a decent allround footballer but surely there cant be such a shortage of good defenders out there that we're willing to over pay for Harry Maguire.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
The market for a CB is absolutely shite. It's De Ligt and after that it's worryingly bad. Bet we'll spend 90M on Maguire then some new CB will come out as the next best thing next Summer.
If De Ligt goes PSG, we should throw the cheque book at Marquinhos imo.

BlueHaze

So they still want over £70m for him? I hope and think we'll never sign him. Even with todays crazy market taken into consideration that is an abnormal fee for a player of his level. How the feck do they expect clubs to cough up more than Liverpool did for Van Dijk for Maguire? I'd actually just prefer to give Tuanzebe a chance to be a regular starter ahead of signing Maguire.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
I went on their forum to see the general opinion towards Maguire. After all they watch him every week.

It wasn't just one person. Their general opinion was they're not bothered as they regard Evans as their best defender, £50m+ is daylight robbery and they should cash in because they think he's not as good as the hype suggests.

Take of that what you will but they line up with my own opinion of casually watching Leicester over the last season and Maguire for England.

We need top defenders who can come in and galvanise our stale team. Not more of the same like what we have already.
Maguire didn’t have a great season for us until he came back from his injury suffered at Cardif but FoxesTalk could turn a 13-0 win into a catastrophe

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Dont get me wrong he's a decent allround footballer but surely there cant be such a shortage of good defenders out there that we're willing to over pay for Harry Maguire.
There's a whole world out there whilst we seem to stubbornly refuse to think outside of the box. When star-heavy teams like PSG can recruit players like Kehrer after originally targeting Boating, it proves there is options out there.

Complete lack of strategy & planning sums us up unfortunately.

MUFC OK

For 80m - no thanks.

We need a genuinely world class cb this summer and should pay whatever it takes. However paying a world record fee for a player who may never be of that standard would be pure desperation. I’d much rather go for alderwiereld who is a far better cb currently and would cost a fraction of the price.

Sadly we are so inept in the transfer market that Maguire is who we will end up with. Spending £130m on him and wan Bissaka really doesn’t sit well with me. I’m just praying we avoid this one, would be incredibly underwhelming.

MUFC OK

So they still want over £70m for him? I hope and think we'll never sign him. Even with todays crazy market taken into consideration that is an abnormal fee for a player of his level. How the feck do they expect clubs to cough up more than Liverpool did for Van Dijk for Maguire? I'd actually just prefer to give Tuanzebe a chance to be a regular starter ahead of signing Maguire.
We will cough up at the end of the window once again acting out of desperation in the market. For 70-80m it’s a terrible deal, let’s be under no illusions.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Maguire didn’t have a great season for us until he came back from his injury suffered at Cardif but FoxesTalk could turn a 13-0 win into a catastrophe
Just realised you're a Leicester fan :wenger:

I thought you were a Utd fan replying to me.

From casually watching you over the season, it seems Evans is, the real brains behind your defense. Maguire seems to have a mistake in him, he is targeted by the top teams like City , Liverpool for his lack of pace & agility.

Does this line up with your own opinion of Maguire?

What do you think he can bring to us that we don't already have?

BlueHaze

We will cough up at the end of the window once again acting out of desperation in the market. For 70-80m it’s a terrible deal, let’s be under no illusions.
I don't think so. For a fee like that I think Ole would just tell Ed to forget about it.

The Nani

There's a whole world out there whilst we seem to stubbornly refuse to think outside of the box. When star-heavy teams like PSG can recruit players like Kehrer after originally targeting Boating, it proves there is options out there.

Complete lack of strategy & planning sums us up unfortunately.
For that kind of money or less there are all kinds of better options.

Skriniar Konate Alderweireld etc

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
Just realised you're a Leicester fan :wenger:

I thought you were a Utd fan replying to me.

From casually watching you over the season, it seems Evans is the real brains behind your defense. Maguire seems to have a mistake in him, he is targeted by the top teams like City , Liverpool for his lack of pace & agility.

Does this line up with your own opinion of Maguire?

What do you think he can bring to us that we don't already have?
Evans has the better season but Maguire is still the better of the 2, you know his strengths too much is being made of him being slow as he is rarely done for pace but people look at him and think he’s a cart horse or something

MUFC OK

I don't think so. For a fee like that I think Ole would just tell Ed to forget about it.
hope you’re right. Signing him for that fee is a huge huge risk if he turns out to be average.

Put it this way, I’d be absolutely fine if any of our rivals signed him for that cost. We need players who are undoubtedly of the the required standard to help us compete again. If that is the case then the fee doesn’t really matter.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
If someone spends £90m on him when Koulibaly and Skriniar, two names who are better and similar age brackets, could be obtained for the same price/less then I will be dumbfounded.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Evans has the better season but Maguire is still the better of the 2, you know his strengths too much is being made of him being slow as he is rarely done for pace but people look at him and think he’s a cart horse or something
His strengths aren't really needed here imo. Teams rarely have a big lump upfront any more.

A sluggish CB who's susceptible to quick movements and can crack under opposition pressing are fateful weaknesses at the highest level.

We aren't going to play a deep defense to protect him. So you would think those weaknesses would be unmercifully taken advantage of by our rivals.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
For that kind of money or less there are all kinds of better options.

Skriniar Konate Alderweireld etc
Alderweireld would be my personal option with Marquinhos as a dream target but there must be someone in Europe who our scouts can identify surely?

Money isn't an issue for the right player so it should be a dream job for the scouts you would think.

Silas

Exactly. Amusing to see history repeat itself.

Tiber

If someone spends £90m on him when Koulibaly and Skriniar, two names who are better and similar age brackets, could be obtained for the same price/less then I will be dumbfounded.
The amount of people who still think that Koulibaly wouldn't cost far more leaves me dumbfounded

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I'm dumbfounded you think Koulibaly is available for the same price or less.

beergod

His strengths aren't really needed here imo. Teams rarely have a big lump upfront any more.

A sluggish CB who's susceptible to quick movements and can crack under opposition pressing are fateful weaknesses at the highest level.

We aren't going to play a deep defense to protect him. So you would think those weaknesses would be unmercifully taken advantage of by our rivals.
Are you serious? We've been shambolic on both defensive and attacking set pieces for ages.

Status
Not open for further replies.