Harry Maguire | Signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
Wes Morgan organising? HA! he could barely organise a orgy in a brothel...

Maguire defers to Evans due to experience and you can only have 1 that is in charge, when Wes plays both try to organise because Morgan is crap at it but as captain refuses to defer

Bobski

Wes Morgan organising? HA! he could barely organise a orgy in a brothel...

Maguire defers to Evans due to experience and you can only have 1 that is in charge, when Wes plays both try to organise because Morgan is crap at it but as captain refuses to defer
Morgan was finished after the title run but he was a leader, and it is still natural to him. Do you see Maguire as a leader? I mean in a defensive sense and not through pushing the play forward with one of his runs. All that is impressive but I have often thought it blinds people to the basic defensive errors he continually makes.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
Morgan was finished after the title run but he was a leader, and it is still natural to him. Do you see Maguire as a leader? I mean in a defensive sense and not through pushing the play forward with one of his runs. All that is impressive but I have often thought it blinds people to the basic defensive errors he continually makes.
he could be but as I said Evans greater experience allows him to defer and just play, Wes is finished but he hasn't actually played with Soyuncu our 4th CB and none have played with Benkovic as he was on loan last season so Harry has never been the outright defensive leader, if Wes would check his ego and defer they would play much better together, he deferred to Huth but he had far more prem experience so was easier for his ego to bare.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
oh and cut the talk about sitting back and just counter attacking, that's not what we do, we try to play possession football, just because we still have a lethal counter doesn't mean that's our tactical set up

Swiss_Red89

Sing him up!
He'll score the winner in scottish time against city at old trafford! He'll celebrate in front of Pep and this we'll be the best scene ever seen. He'll smash Pep in the Post Match Interview and we'll win the league! Maguire and United... a perfect fit!

john moran

I hope someone bites on Bailly.
Yet keep Jones and Smalling ?
Sing him up!
He'll score the winner in scottish time against city at old trafford! He'll celebrate in front of Pep and this we'll be the best scene ever seen. He'll smash Pep in the Post Match Interview and we'll win the league! Maguire and United... a perfect fit!
Daydreams are daydreams !
He is no Rio or Vidic just a decent centre back who would not get into the team or indeed probably the squad at any of the top ten teams in Europe .
Any alleged interest by City would be to push Woodward into another Fred and Sanchez type blunder

haram

Yet keep Jones and Smalling ?

Daydreams are daydreams !
He is no Rio or Vidic just a decent centre back who would not get into the team or indeed probably the squad at any of the top ten teams in Europe .
Any alleged interest by City would be to push Woodward into another Fred and Sanchez type blunder
Jones can go as well. Smalling is still better than Bailly.

Dahnsouff

Supports
Leicester City
Why on earth would we want them? They are no JFE are they :)

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I think i'm rare on here, that i'd keep all of our centre backs over Evans.

Knowing the café, we'd swap Evans back for any of those guys - to max praise.
Then 2 games in everyone would be slating Evans and saying how he's "Nowhere near as good" as Bailly/Rojo etc at Leicester :lol:

Dahnsouff

Supports
Leicester City
I think i'm rare on here, that i'd keep all of our centre backs over Evans.

Knowing the café, we'd swap Evans back for any of those guys - to max praise.
Then 2 games in everyone would be slating Evans and saying how he's "Nowhere near as good" as Bailly/Rojo etc at Leicester :lol:
Football fans - every single one is the definition of fickle! :lol:

U-N-I-T-E-D

I'd be happy with £80m + Jones + Rojo.

Essentially a Rojo/Maguire straight swap and paying Leicester £80m to take Jones - that would be a brilliant bit of business.

Having said that, I wonder if we left Jones outside OT like people do with washing machines and couches whether someone would just take him away

Last edited:

Needham

Those valuations are completely unrealistic. Maguires inflated price is due to him being English and from another Prem club.
It's a fecking nightmare. What happened? At this point I'm thinking have a Daniel James transfer pricing policy or promote youth until it comes right. Any chance of signing Levy?

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
It does mean alot for the defence as they have to cater for it. Unless of course, its Leicester who tend to leak as many goals as the Titanic leaks water.

Positioning can carry you up to an extent. I've seen Maldini having an absolute nightmare against Kanchelskis and we're talking about a world class defender here. So yes pace does matter.
Only 6 teams conceded less goals than Leicester did last season, all of the top four, along with wolves and Everton who conceded 2 less.
They conceded 6 less goals than we did.
Did you bother to look any of this up before posting that they leak goals like the titanic leaks water?

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Only 6 teams conceded less goals than Leicester did last season, all of the top four, along with wolves and Everton who conceded 2 less.
They conceded 6 less goals than we did.
Did you bother to look any of this up before posting that they leak goals like the titanic leaks water?
So you think that someone who lead a defence that leaked more goals then Everton and Wolves is worth 80m? Also what was their record the year prior?

manutddjw

I’m pretty sure we’ll ending signing him and to me it’s just “what are we doing?”. He’s not even an elite centre back to justify his ridiculous price tag. I said this before, if we bought someone with the exact same skill set from another league, we’d be screaming for the boards head for making one of the stupidest transfers ever. If he weren’t playing in the premier league he’d cost less than half of what Leicester want. We allegedly have tons of scouts surely they can find someone better for a fraction of the price.

Marrakesh

The fee doesn't concern me half as much as the reported 350k per week wage.

Last edited:

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
80 mil for a good player is just stupid, for that price one expects a WC talent not a good player.
I agree but our situation requires us to improve our team. That will come at a premium in some areas and rubbish as it may seem we should pay it if the player is one that we want. The alternative (falling further behind our rivals and being caught by smaller teams) is not a good path to be on.

So, if Ole or the board actually want him ... pay up and get him in.

Dec9003

So you think that someone who lead a defence that leaked more goals then Everton and Wolves is worth 80m? Also what was their record the year prior?
I'm not sure what their record the season before was like, but if it was worse then surely that's a testament to Maguire for improving their defence, no?
I don't know if we should get Maguire or not, it just made me laugh that you got it so wrong about how many goals they concede. :lol:

I'm not sure what their record the season before was like, but if it was worse then surely that's a testament to Maguire for improving their defence, no?
I don't know if we should get Maguire or not, it just made me laugh that you got it so wrong about how many goals they concede. :lol:
Surely it was a loaded question @Dec9003 ? Surely Leicester conceded less the year before he joined?
Otherwise why the hell would devilish ask the question? We all know he’ll say anything, literally anything to talk down Maguire.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Pace and leadership is all that is needed for defense :wenger:

Dec9003

Surely it was a loaded question @Dec9003 ? Surely Leicester conceded less the year before he joined?
Otherwise why the hell would devilish ask the question? We all know he’ll say anything, literally anything to talk down Maguire.
Just checked, the season prior Leicester conceded 12 more goals, conceding 60 in the league.
So last season was a solid improvement for them.
Like I said, I don't know myself if Maguire is the answer, he's certainly expensive. People do seem to have something against him though, even to the point that they'll make things up to ridicule him.

devilish

In 2016 maguire was at Hull. They had the worst defence in the EPL having conceded 80 goals. In 2017-18 he signed for Leicester. They ended with the 5th worst defence in the EPL with 60 goals. Last year they fared better as they ended with the 7th best defence in the EPL at par with mighty Newcastle . They still conceded more goals to Wolves and Everton. Ricardo Periera (fb which was signed in 2018)was voted best player of the year this season

Dec9003

In 2016 maguire was at Hull. They had the worst defence in the EPL having conceded 80 goals. In 2017-18 he signed for Leicester. They ended with the 5th worst defence in the EPL with 60 goals. Last year they fared better as they ended with the 7th best defence in the EPL at par with mighty Newcastle . They still conceded more goals to Wolves and Everton. Ricardo Periera was voted best player of the year this season
So you've proven my point then? They conceded fewer goals this season.
48 goals conceded for a club in their position is good, perhaps verging on very good.
You can double down rather than admitting you got it wrong by saying they have a leaky defence, but anyone who has looked at the table will immediately know you're wrong.

devilish

So you've proven my point then? They conceded fewer goals this season.
48 goals conceded for a club in their position is good, perhaps verging on very good.
You can double down rather than admitting you got it wrong by saying they have a leaky defence, but anyone who has looked at the table will immediately know you're wrong.

Most of Maguire's EPL's career was spent in defences that leak more goals then the Titanic. He was at Hull (worst defence in the EPL) and then he moved to Leicester (5th worst defence in the EPL). Things improved last season as Leicester were able to concede as many goals as Newcastle did to end up 7th best. However, one mustn't forget that Leicester had spent big in rebuilding the defence which included the two experienced players Jonny Evans and Leicester player of the year Ricardo Periera. That has contributed greatly in improving Leicester's record from that of 16th best to the 7th best defence in the EPL.

Now my argument is quite simple really. I am sceptical about the deal especially considering the big money involved about the player. Sure he's unbeatable in air which most Championship players are + his distribution of the ball is quite good which is a bonus. However I don't think he's the leader many portray him to be and his lack of pace mean that we'll probably have to add players to compliment that. In my opinion he's nowhere near to the 80m player Leicester seem to ask for. Having said that I am quite neutral about him. If we sign him up then I hope he'll be an astounding success while if he signs for City then I hope he'll end up a very expensive donkey.

croadyman

I have reached the point that not bothered if we pay £80m for him anymore,just want us to bring in a new CB.

He might well relish the challenge and prove many of the doubters wrong but just feel like yeah whatever about it now.

passing-wind

To be totally honest Bailey when on form is our second best defensive player next to Victor. if Bailey could stay fit for a full season he would be in our starting 11 on a regular basis.

He had consistent games before his injury then the stupidity of Solskjaer to put him at right back against PSG made him lose momentum. He could be a standout player in the league with a club under much less pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.