Harry Maguire | Signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

starman

if his surname was Maguiric and he played for Croatia, what would be the asking price for him?
Probably the same given Inter & Napoli want 100m for Skriniar & Koulibaly

Think English tax is oversaturated these days

Last edited:

JB7

if his surname was Maguiric and he played for Croatia, what would be the asking price for him?
feck knows but people on here would be much more excited about signing him.

Real Madras

Supports
Real Oviedo
So £15m for James. £50m for AWB and now a £70m bid for Maguire. That surely equates to more than the £100m budget we supposedly was reported to have.

RedorDead21

Maybe not, Smalling and Lindelof are functional and probably decent enough with better full backs outside them and a more mobile DM. But as soon as one of them is injured we are back to relying on Jones, Rojo or Bailly.
Well we'll get injuries regardless and all our squad players will be relied upon at some stage. The 3 you mention have it in them to throw in stand out performances on any given day. They've all done it in the past. Just can't be relied upon as starters which none of them are.

dutchred

I hope this is crap. 70M for a carthorse. If we do this we will be the laughing stock of the football world.
70M for him and we just paid 50M for a kid with less than 1 year in the first team for Palace. God what are we coming to

foxedup

Supports
Leicester
He makes mistakes regularly. Just have a look through last season for Lecister and he is found out all the time.
I'm a Leicester season ticket holder and that is complete and utter nonsense.

Marcelinho87

I hope this is crap. 70M for a carthorse. If we do this we will be the laughing stock of the football world.
70M for him and we just paid 50M for a kid with less than 1 year in the first team for Palace. God what are we coming to
It's not 'WE' it is just how football is now, as a fan the fees are just best ignored.

He has achieved more in the game than the coveted De Ligt who has almost signed for Juve at the age 19 for £62m

Smores

Yes, I would think so. He is 22 and is already a very very good defender. I think he could become a better player than Arry Mag.
Is that how football works, the younger you are when you hit a good standard the more potential you've got? Where as Maguire can't improve because he's ancient at 26?

That explains a lot of view points actually

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
If De Ligt or Koulibaly is off then pay the money for Maguire, simple as that... or pehaps we're so eager to witness another year of unproductivity from Jones and Rojo.

KristianMackle

He'll be a good signing with PL experience. He's certainly better than any CB we currently have. This Lindelof love-in confuses me greatly. Fully fit, Bailly is a lot better as well.

shaky

Absolutely stunned at the price... He better turn in to a WC defender or we will be the laughing stock of football if we sign a "decent" defender while braking all kinds of records.
Why not give Ajax the 60 they want for De Ligt and then a signing on bonus for 20? That might turn his head our way
What's with everyone worrying about us potentially becoming a laughing stock in football? We already are a laughing stock. The only way we stop being one is if we start winning more football games, and if that means paying stupid money for the players we need, I honestly could not care one jot. If the choice is lining up next season with Smalling or Jones again, or being fleeced by Leicester for Maguire, then i'm happy to be fleeced.

dutchred

What's with everyone worrying about us potentially becoming a laughing stock in football? We already are a laughing stock. The only way we stop being one is if we start winning more football games, and if that means paying stupid money for the players we need, I honestly could not care one jot. If the choice is lining up next season with Smalling or Jones again, or being fleeced by Leicester for Maguire, then i'm happy to be fleeced.
It's not 'WE' it is just how football is now, as a fan the fees are just best ignored.

He has achieved more in the game than the coveted De Ligt who has almost signed for Juve at the age 19 for £62m
Whuch game

arthurka

Is that how football works, the younger you are when you hit a good standard the more potential you've got? Where as Maguire can't improve because he's ancient at 26?

No not really, I just think he is pretty close to Harry´s level at 22 so he might actually become a better player when he reaches the same age.
But that´s not saying Harry won´t improve over the next couple of years.

GJNJ

Maybe it takes into consideration assumed sales?
It was one tweet by a source that isn't great, why do people give it more credit then its worth? If it was the BBC then I would give it more credence.

dutchred

I dont mind being fleeced for something better but being fleeced for a carthorse is poor. Is he so much better than Smalling. What about Axel? Surely he deserves a chance before we do this.
I also think Nathan Axe is a better defender and is left footed

arthurka

So £15m for James. £50m for AWB and now a £70m bid for Maguire. That surely equates to more than the £100m budget we supposedly was reported to have.
100m might actually be pretty close, Lukaku will be sold and other players will leave. It might be close to 120m net when all business is done.

Turnip

likes to be spanked with games consoles

This is what video games have done to us. They all stop developing and start declining on their 30th birthday, so may as well sell them at 29.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Maguire just isn't a fashionable name sadly for many. Had we been linked to the inferior Skriniar for a £100m, the majority would be very excited.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Exactly. I don’t want to see any of those 2 (3 including Bailly) in our defence anymore. To be honest I don’t want to see Smalling in there too.
Smalling still can't find his form from LvG era... Honestly Maguire and promoted Tuanzebe wouldn't be that bad of a window from defensive perspective as some might think, especially when we added Bissaka already.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
Maguire just isn't a fashionable name sadly for many. Had we been linked to the inferior Skriniar for a £100m, the majority would be very excited.
I actually think it's a good transfer because it improves us, but the fee is mental and if he doesn't deliver top class performances for us he will be ridiculed, and rightly so. But he's an English international and probably the best CB available outside of the top six (though I'd prefer the more talented, younger, and cheaper Diop, but whatever) so he was always going to cost a bomb.

Halal Jalal

Is this sarcasm? 19 year old De Ligt already is a better player than Maguire, with potential to be the next Maldini. Imagine the ridicule if we actually end up paying more for Maguire than Juve/PSG/Barca do for De Ligt.
I agree that the transfer prices have become insane lately, but we're still the club that gets fleeced and mugged the most. With proper scouting network and apparent playstyle philosophy, there's still value to be found. The same year we paid 50 million for Fred, City bought Bernardo Silva for 40m. Think about that.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I actually think it's a good transfer because it improves us, but the fee is mental and if he doesn't deliver top class performances for us he will be ridiculed, and rightly so. But he's an English international and probably the best CB available outside of the top six (though I'd prefer the more talented, younger, and cheaper Diop, but whatever) so he was always going to cost a bomb.
Diop isn't more talented though IMO. Maguire is far superior on the ball it isn't even close.

manunited1919

£70m for MG, £50m for a player with 1 year experience, and Juventus just signed Rabiot on a free. Instead, we have penciled in a renewal for Lingard who will end up making almost as much as Rabiot. How can we not be a laughing stock?

RedRover

Indeed. He’s a solid defender, but by no means world class. I know it’s not my money, but that’s a lot of dough for a central defender.
To put this in context, Villa were linked with a centre back from Bristol City yesterday at £25 million. The value of players goes up every year and he's one of the better defenders in the league. We're also clearly desperate and will no doubt be made to pay over the odds.

Some fans moan when we don't get deals done quibbling over fees, other moan when we "overpay". The club can't win a lot of the time.

Well said. Some absolute rubbish spoken on here about him the last few weeks. He's no Paulo Maldini but in my opinion, he's a very good defender primed to step up to the next level in terms of performance if given the chance.

Bojan11

Diop isn’t good on the ball.

Not sure how Skriniar is rated higher than Maguire though. Don’t see much difference than them besides the fact Maguire has played in the prem.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
Just caught up on the last 5 or so pages.
Still amazes me how half the cafe list 5-10 names of players they've never seen play but would prefer them because they're. Younger, Foreign and not called Maguire.
Also throwing names around that wont come to us right now...

Kouliaby. Been at Napoli for 5 years. If he were really THAT good he'd be at Real, Barca or Juve by now.
Not saying he's a bad defender, but I think people hear the name, form a random opinion without watching him and decide hes the best defender there is.

Probably the same people who shout Glazers out for not spending money.

Ultimate_L

Exactly. I don’t want to see any of those 2 (3 including Bailly) in our defence anymore. To be honest I don’t want to see Smalling in there too.
I'd agree with this. Although I have seen good stints in all three - Bailly is the best technically but he really can't focus long enough for full games without diving into tackles, his very unnecessary red card towards the end of last season after being away off injured for some time really killed my likeness towards him however he could improve under a new lease of life. Jones really just doesn't deserve to wear the United Jersey and I'd like to see Tuanzebe getting fed in ahead of him imo however Jones and Smalling must have something on the board for them not to be sold yet and replaced with any of the above-mentioned transfer links. Rojo should've been gone already which says enough.

To put it mildly, we are desperate for an improvement of a defender that can bring the ball out from goal. Can header out of play or away from danger - can actually defend and not ball watch or break down little dangers which turn into creating big chances via lack of focus. Get Slabhead and let us be done with this farce that we are in a much better position and should deserve the likes of De Ligt or Koulibaly - Those players although playing for the prestige of playing with one of the big clubs in England, We just don't have that pulling weight anymore - we are doing that in keeping players who shouldn't be at the club anymore - letting our players ruin the brand and class of the Club with their social media madness and dictating how poorly our match results come out as. Shocking how bad things have become.

dutchred

Is this sarcasm? 19 year old De Ligt already is a better player than Maguire, with potential to be the next Maldini. Imagine the ridicule if we actually end up paying more for Maguire than Juve/PSG/Barca do for De Ligt.
I agree that the transfer prices have become insane lately, but we're still the club that gets fleeced and mugged the most. With proper scouting network and apparent playstyle philosophy, there's still value to be found. The same year we paid 50 million for Fred, City bought Bernardo Silva for 40m. Think about that.
I could not have put it better. Anyone who thinks this carthorse is in the same league as de Ligt needs to see a shrink

jackal&hyde

You are right. I overreacted as i can't quite believe the price reported. He is a very good passer of the ball and great in the air. Above all else, like you say, it means seeing a lot less of Smalling and Jones and that is worth half the fee alone.

If he is our choice, then at least get it done fast so he can be part of preseason.

Status
Not open for further replies.