Harry Maguire | Signed

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
We are by far the easiest club to do business with. Just name your price, we don’t mind any club asking 30-40% more for their players, every club do this to us anyway.

dove

Signing Maguire for 70-80m if we don't sign a very good DM is insane. I won't argue about Maguire's abilities with the ball but defensively he is very suspect so unless we find Kante who will do half of his job, it will be a disaster.

StrettyEnder07

Because he is looking better than Smalling at the moment and is a ball playing CB that clearly we are looking to bring in. In a pure defensive sense he isn't much or even any better than smalling. Certainly isn't a better header than Smalling. That doesn't mean he isn't a better player but not greatly.
Maguire has the same stats as VVD last year in the league re aerial duels won, percentage wise, does that make him less effective in the air that Smalling, absolutely no chance.

Anyone playing against Leicester you can guarantee that one of the instructions is to try and miss out Maguire when putting balls into their box, the exact same as what coaches do with VVD.

I'm actually amazed that people rate Smalling so highly having watched him week in week out be terrible for the last 7 years.

The sooner Jones/Smalling/Rojo/Young are gone the better of we will be, we go into next season with no CB signed, god help us, especially if we buy Fernandes to go with Pogba in midfield, we will get ripped to shreds.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Bailly is also entering the final year of his deal and so will be off on a free in 6 months unless we offer him a new contract and there is no way he has come close to demonstrating he deserves one. I would rather cut bait and sell now as he is one of the few players we have who seems to have some resale value.
This is a good point.

We'd be mad to give him a new contract.
Apparently we have option to extend by 2 years.

Manchester United have completed the signing of Villarreal defender Eric Bailly on a four-year contract.

The 22-year-old Ivory Coast defender also has the option of a further two-year extension after finalising a deal which is reported to be costing United up to £25m

Wal2Fra

It is a very expensive player to be indifferent about.
A reason to stay away from this. Anytjing more than 40m and maybe a few performance based add-ons is too much. He attacks the ball well which we miss but doesn't provide that much more for any crazy price tag. Just English tax that is all.

MadMike

Are we planning at all to sell any of our CBs before hand? At least a couple should be sold, Rojo and another one (probably Bailly).

If we just buy Maguire we'll be well overstocked. We have Tuanzebe coming back from loan too.

jackal&hyde

Absolutely stunned at the price... He better turn in to a WC defender or we will be the laughing stock of football if we sign a "decent" defender while braking all kinds of records.

Why not give Ajax the 60 they want for De Ligt and then a signing on bonus for 20? That might turn his head our way

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
The general acceptance is Ricardo Pereira is much better than Young. Maguire is better than our CBs, Evans is good CB, Chilwell is at least as good as Shaw if not better. Then we have Ndidi who is better than Matic. That's the defensive team and they conceded only 6 goals less than us and we had a meltdown season.

Sometimes we just overrate other teams. Again this has nothing do with how I rate Maguire, just saying how fans tend to overrate midtable players when they show bit of good form.
They had a meltdown in their season in the same way we did. They sacked their manager and improved after it.
I haven't overrated Leicester in any way, I said they were very good defensively, which for the most part they were. Having a better defensive unit than not only us, but most sides in the premier league.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Yep Pep still wants him.
If city really wants him they'll get him. I am not saying he's shit. However those deficiencies need to be taken in account and if he is signed then they will have to be mitigated

RedorDead21

If city really wants him they'll get him. I am not saying he's shit. However those deficiencies need to be taken in account and if he is signed then they will have to be mitigated
He'll only be rated on here if City get him before us.

MadMike

Absolutely stunned at the price... He better turn in to a WC defender or we will be the laughing stock of football if we sign a "decent" defender while braking all kinds of records.

Why not give Ajax the 60 they want for De Ligt and then a signing on bonus for 20? That might turn his head our way
Because financialy pleasing Ajax isn't the only thing that matters.

Raiola wants a buy-out clause inserted in De Ligt's contract for starters, which is problematic. Not to say anything about the players willingness to come here. We also probably want someone more experienced for that position, since we have 3-4 CBs with quite a young profile already.

gza the genius

out of all the defenders we are linked with Maguire is the one I don't want. God forbid if we try to play a high line or a high pressing game. Slow as a wet week.

Would rather we sign Alderwield and then let Tuanzebe maybe grow into a quality centre back
Shaw and AWB would be able to cover if needed, could play with Smalling some too instead of Lindelof if we're worried about that.

RedorDead21

Personally with better full backs there is no reason we can't get top 4 without buying a CB. Had a good defensive record afew years back. Just need to upgrade the DM position and midfield. Our midfield is so easily out bossed.

Jeffthered

He's better than anyone else we currently have. A good Maguire and a Bailly playing to the form he showed when he arrived would be a very good partnership (bailly is quick, which helps Maguire..).

But... it's too many ifs and buts. If we sell some players, then I will not mind. But oh yes! We have given Jones and Smalling new contracts! Well... why not, Ed Woodward and Ole are happy to splash the cash!

Patrick08

Signing Maguire for 70-80m if we don't sign a very good DM is insane. I won't argue about Maguire's abilities with the ball but defensively he is very suspect so unless we find Kante who will do half of his job, it will be a disaster.
Agree.

Bojan11

Personally with better full backs there is no reason we can't get top 4 without buying a CB. Had a good defensive record afew years back. Just need to upgrade the DM position and midfield. Our midfield is so easily out bossed.
Yeah let’s carry on with the same losers like Jones and Smalling. If AWB or Shaw get injured we can have Young back and we’d have the old party before you know it.

Tel074

So "AWB Maguire Lindelof Shaw"? Uff! Remembering guys like Neville, Stam, Ferdinand, and Evra. For me, ManUtd was like a strong engine. But yes, i remember the good times of the club. De Ligt and Koulibaly are way better than Maguire. ManUtd can´t get them? I would even prefer Tah (23, Leverkusen) over Maguire.

I watched Tah during the under 21s and thought even at that level he wasn't great. He's no better than players we already have. just my opinion

Gandalf

Apparently we have option to extend by 2 years.
The way that is worded suggests the option is on the players side although that would be odd. If he can be extended without significant expenditure then there is a case for trying to get him back on track though. Really up to Ole at this point as I think Bailly would have more suitors and fetch a better price than Jones, Rojo or Smalling and so it depends on if Ole sees a future for him here or would rather cash in and invest the fee somewhere else.

RedorDead21

Yeah let’s carry on with the same losers like Jones and Smalling. If AWB or Shaw get injured we can have Young back and we’d have the old party before you know it.
It's more about perhaps spending the 70m more wisely elsewhere. Perhaps giving an academy player an extra 12 months to convince. Scouting better for a CB and not going with the guy a room of 13year olds would suggest......not saying Maguire isn't the answer just saying he's not essential to a top 4 finish.

flappyjay

The general acceptance is Ricardo Pereira is much better than Young. Maguire is better than our CBs, Evans is good CB, Chilwell is at least as good as Shaw if not better. Then we have Ndidi who is better than Matic. That's the defensive team and they conceded only 6 goals less than us and we had a meltdown season.

Sometimes we just overrate other teams. Again this has nothing do with how I rate Maguire, just saying how fans tend to overrate midtable players when they show bit of good form.
Thats because everyone has convinced themselves that ours a Championship material and anybody who looks decent for midtable teams is better than what we have.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
He'll only be rated on here if City get him before us.
You mean like Stones does?

Shitty aren't infallible. They had their share of mistakes and dodged bullets. The latter had unfortunately ended up with us.

As said i am not saying that he is shit. All I am saying is that if we buy him then we will have to tackle his serious deficiencies. Tbf some of these issues had been tackled already

stepic

we just spent £55m on a fullback who doesn't even have an english cap, and people are stunned about a £70m offer on a proper english international who plays in a more important and usually more expensive position? i don't get it.

Bojan11

It's more about perhaps spending the 70m more wisely elsewhere. Perhaps giving an academy player an extra 12 months to convince. Scouting better for a CB and not going with the guy a room of 13year olds would suggest......not saying Maguire isn't the answer just saying he's not essential to a top 4 finish.
We have given some of the defenders 10 years to convince. Tuanzebe can’t be expected to lead our defence.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
we just spent £55m on a fullback who doesn't even have an english cap, and people are stunned about a £70m offer on a proper english international who plays in a more important and usually more expensive position? i don't get it.
£45m rising to £50m but I see your point. I think AWB is worth it though because he's only 21 and potentially top class. Maguire is 27 next season and doesn't look anything beyond a "good" upgrade on what we already have.

Hawks2008

What does pace have to do with being a good centre back? i dont seem to understand why pace is always brought up. A good defender does just that defend. If you good enough you always in a postion to recover was Stam fast? i rest my case
If the aim is to play a high line Maguire will be caught out, turns like a truck and hasn't got enough recovery speed.

RoyH1

if his surname was Maguiric and he played for Croatia, what would be the asking price for him?

romufc

£70m rejected - that is a joke if we go in for more. There is no way he is worth that, when there are CB's around Europe for £50-60m who are younger and not hyped up like Maguire.

arthurka

Some of you lot need your head checking because you've forgotten how terrible our central defenders are...

Jones - injured for half the season. Makes several mistakes. Can't pass from the back.
Smalling - Decent defender but prone to the odd mistake. Will get absolutely torn to shreds when VAR comes to the PL. Woeful at passing.
Bailly - Terrible defender, too rash and injury prone.
Rojo - Terrible defender and also too rash, injury prone.
Tuanzebe - Kid with potential, had a decent loan spell - but its much more difficult to blood youth central defenders into the first team because any mistake can cost you the game - forwards can make more mistakes and it may not be as costy. He needs a PL loan.
Lindelof - decent season, but still there remain question marks.

So in essence we have two half decent CB's and a kid. Maguire seems to have a lot of attributes that he can offer the team and people are concerned by his feckin fee? This isn't Alexis Sanchez coming in to disrupt Martial and get 400k/week wages. Its a position we desperately need to improve on.

It was exactly the same with Wan Bissaka. Oh no, he isn't Ronaldo-like going forward so lets get someone else, conveniently forgetting we've been playing Young, Valencia and Darmian as RB.

Maguire and Bissaka won't set the world alight, but the idea is that they'll improve the team considerably and provide a solid platform from which we can always improve in the future if needed.
Jones - injured for half the season. Makes several mistakes. Can't pass from the back. - Not true, our best passer from the defense, short and long. But has to many mistakes in him and is always injured.
Smalling - Decent defender but prone to the odd mistake. Will get absolutely torn to shreds when VAR comes to the PL. Woeful at passing. - Our best defender by some distance but with his flaws, our best header. Nothing to back up the VAR claim.
Bailly - Terrible defender, too rash and injury prone. - Agree, all over the place no composure, reckless and zero reading of the game.
Rojo - Terrible defender and also too rash, injury prone. - Less said the better.
Tuanzebe - Kid with potential, had a decent loan spell - but its much more difficult to blood youth central defenders into the first team because any mistake can cost you the game - forwards can make more mistakes and it may not be as costy. He needs a PL loan. - He will need a season with Utd, he is 22 years old needs to get games with us this season.
Lindelof - decent season, but still there remain question marks. - Lacks intensity, not good in the air, looses focus to many times. But he is getting better, could become a good CB given games and time.

Fully agree with you on getting Harry M on board we lack leadership and common defending at the back, but Lindelöf and Harry are to slow so I would recon Alex or Smalling might be the best playing with Harry and Lindelöf.
But who knows? Rojo and Bailly to start the season!

Oldyella

Maybe not, Smalling and Lindelof are functional and probably decent enough with better full backs outside them and a more mobile DM. But as soon as one of them is injured we are back to relying on Jones, Rojo or Bailly.

Status
Not open for further replies.